Bionicle great as star wars

Deathmournex

G1 getting more fame is unlikely. Star wars had books to back it up WAY before the movies came out back in 1976. Star Wars was also way more easy to market. G1 could never reach the same fame as star wars. Names weren't easy to remember for kids and lightsabers were easy to play with. G1 did have a few bionicle rides in a few legolands but mostly built statues next to a ride.

2015 Bionicle G2 also tried episodes but lack of commercials meant that the had 4 episodes left as quickly as they appeared on netflix.

Edited by (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-)

I totally agree with you. On thing that we have to focus now, though, is to vote in Lego Ideas projects that are based on Bionicle, have them have 10,000 supporters somehow, and hope Lego would turn them into official sets that could convinced them to bring back Bionicle (hopefully G1 and Hero Factory and have them share the same universe). Bionicle could get its glory days back and other things that you said if we all do it.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

On 9/4/2021 at 12:04 PM, Deathmournex said:

If bionicle g1 was gonna be big as star wars it should have its own tv show and its own theme parks like star wars with extra steps 

I mean yeah, if anything gets as big as the biggest franchise on the planet then it's going to have a ton of stuff. What are you trying to say?

• Upvote 1

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

On 9/6/2021 at 11:11 AM, Lenny7092 said:

hopefully G1 and Hero Factory and have them share the same universe). 

How would this enhance either storylines?

• Upvote 2

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

2 hours ago, Lenny7092 said:

Expanding lore and good storytelling is done right and have a lot of budget. The original Star Wars trilogy, The Clone Wars, Rebels, Bad Batch, and The Mandalorian have the right idea. That’s why I said my thing.

All of those were written from the start to be a part of George Lucas' universe, designed to fit and tie into each other. Bionicle and Hero Factory were not, and forcing them together would result in a disastrous Frankenstein of a story. Tahu Meets Furno would be a complete farce and irreparably ruin Bionicle's legacy. Hero Factory is a silly franchise, so it could do cross-overs, but Bionicle cannot. 

The only way to avoid this is if the version of Hero Factory that meets with Bionicle was a totally different version, a reboot that fit with Bionicle's genre, but at that point it wouldn't be Hero Factory anymore.

Edited by Lorentz
  • Upvote 1

On 9/6/2021 at 8:11 PM, Lenny7092 said:

I totally agree with you. On thing that we have to focus now, though, is to vote in Lego Ideas projects that are based on Bionicle, have them have 10,000 supporters somehow, and hope Lego would turn them into official sets that could convinced them to bring back Bionicle (hopefully G1 and Hero Factory and have them share the same universe). Bionicle could get its glory days back and other things that you said if we all do it.

Has there ever been an Lego Ideas set that made it into its own theme, let alone bring back an old theme? I don't think so. Because the fact is that these sets are mainly for collectors, and the sets are also quite expensive which means that only a small amount of them will be sold. In other words, even if there comes a Bionicle set from Lego Ideas, it won't bring back the entire line. 

What you're hoping for is just unrealistic. The glory days of Bionicle are long gone and will not come again.

Edited by Sailor Wah!

10 minutes ago, Sailor Wah! said:
On 9/6/2021 at 7:11 PM, Lenny7092 said:

Has there ever been an Lego Ideas set that made it into its own theme, let alone bring back an old theme? I don't think so. Because the fact is that these sets are mainly for collectors, and the sets are also quite expensive which means that only a small amount of them will be sold. In other words, even if there comes a Bionicle set from Lego Ideas, it won't bring back the entire line. 

What you're hoping for is just unrealistic. The glory days of Bionicle are long gone and will not come again.

funny thing is, if bionicle did come back, and had the same universe as HF, and was popular once again, Lenny would be laughing at us.

• Upvote 1

cd8fe5e91d9a2d2ad25eceee0f67b726e8e8ae67.gif.9de126b854fc59a28d4a68fcd1ec0fd9.gif

4 hours ago, Heyzorks said:

funny thing is, if bionicle did come back, and had the same universe as HF, and was popular once again, Lenny would be laughing at us.

I'd delete all my online accounts and go into hiding.

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2021 at 4:21 PM, Lorentz said:

All of those were written from the start to be a part of George Lucas' universe, designed to fit and tie into each other. Bionicle and Hero Factory were not, and forcing them together would result in a disastrous Frankenstein of a story. Tahu Meets Furno would be a complete farce and irreparably ruin Bionicle's legacy. Hero Factory is a silly franchise, so it could do cross-overs, but Bionicle cannot. 

The only way to avoid this is if the version of Hero Factory that meets with Bionicle was a totally different version, a reboot that fit with Bionicle's genre, but at that point it wouldn't be Hero Factory anymore.

I mean if hero factory and g2 bionicle uses the classic technic building system then the character and creature building system and had all the unique parts and more variety it would've been better roodaka a potential new teridax the new bigger threat? Lego should’ve stuck with the classic technic building system unique parts and more variety the rahi bionicle from g1 uses them too

On 9/13/2021 at 6:56 AM, Heyzorks said:

And using the same exact classic technic building system (not the character and creature building system) with all those cool unique parts with extra steps? 

On 9/11/2021 at 4:21 PM, Lorentz said:

Crossovers like the percy jackson and the kane chronicles The Son of Sobek,” 

On 9/4/2021 at 7:00 PM, (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-) said:

G1 getting more fame is unlikely. Star wars had books to back it up WAY before the movies came out back in 1976. Star Wars was also way more easy to market. G1 could never reach the same fame as star wars. Names weren't easy to remember for kids and lightsabers were easy to play with. G1 did have a few bionicle rides in a few legolands but mostly built statues next to a ride.

2015 Bionicle G2 also tried episodes but lack of commercials meant that the had 4 episodes left as quickly as they appeared on netflix.

I mean bionicle g1 had a ton of books to back it up as well with graphic novels taking place in some of the novels as well even makutas guide to the universe. It has books and graphic novels like star wars but with extra steps. Remember bionicle g1 is mostly inspired by maori mythology a lot of Polynesian cultures and religion intergrated into this franchise for all ages. And its kinda like yugioh with ancient egyptian mythology, disneys hercules and percy jackson with greco-roman mythology. G1 bionicle uses classic technic building system 

Edited by Deathmournex

Remember bionicle g1 is mostly inspired by maori mythology a lot of Polynesian cultures and religion intergrated into this franchise for all ages.

The early years were very influenced by Maori culture in terms of the names and the island setting, but the overall Bionicle story was almost completely separate, conceived by Christian Faber and some other creatives.

Call me crazy, but I don't really see any need for Bionicle to be Star Wars levels of huge. Yes its strange Bionicle exists in the bubble of "popular enough everyone knows about it, obscure enough nobody knows what its about" but not everything that has ever existed in the history of ever needs to be Star Wars levels of big. I'd argue the fact Bionicle exists where it is now in that "cult hit" zone is half the fun of this fandom. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

On 9/14/2021 at 9:06 AM, Deathmournex said:

it would've been better roodaka a potential new teridax the new bigger threat?

Cool sentence.

On 9/14/2021 at 9:14 AM, Deathmournex said:

Crossovers like the percy jackson and the kane chronicles The Son of Sobek,” 

Rick Riordan's series all take place in the same universe, and they all have similar tones so they fit together well. Like I said, they were "designed to fit and tie into each other"

On 9/14/2021 at 9:18 AM, Deathmournex said:

Remember bionicle g1 is mostly inspired by maori mythology a lot of Polynesian cultures and religion intergrated into this franchise for all ages.

Is it? Besides simply using Maori names, how many parallels can you tie between Bionicle's story and specific real-life mythologies, cultures, and religions?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lorentz said:
On 9/14/2021 at 5:06 PM, Deathmournex said:

it would've been better roodaka a potential new teridax the new bigger threat?

Cool sentence.

y a no lorents we r not al gud gramars

were bionicle as big as star wars, we would have

to live with the bionicle holiday special.

you know you don't want that.

cd8fe5e91d9a2d2ad25eceee0f67b726e8e8ae67.gif.9de126b854fc59a28d4a68fcd1ec0fd9.gif

19 hours ago, Lorentz said:

Is it? Besides simply using Maori names, how many parallels can you tie between Bionicle's story and specific real-life mythologies, cultures, and religions?

Chuckschwa drew some parallels between Kopaka and Kanaloa a few months ago.

GENERATION 4: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

On 9/20/2021 at 6:50 PM, Fyndegil said:

Chuckschwa drew some parallels between Kopaka and Kanaloa a few months ago.

The piece used for Kopaka's shield predates Bionicle.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Lorentz said:

The piece used for Kopaka's shield predates Bionicle.

You just asked for parallels that could be drawn, not undeniable proofs or anything.

GENERATION 4: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Examples of Bionicle paralleling real-world mythological imagery:

1. prophecies/visions

2. places being named after founders/rulers (Artakha and Karzahni)

3. from the perspective of the Matoran, the truth about the Great Spirit Robot probably qualifies as a cosmological revelation

4. emphasis on explanations for why the world is the way it is

Not that these are necessarily unique to Bionicle, but it does lean into these associations more than other franchises of the time.

• Like 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Here are some more analogies:

Mata Nui and Makuta Teridax (per Mask of Light) are analogous to Ahura Mazda and Ahriman.

The Toa Kaita are analogous to the Trinity.

Being controlled by a krana is like being possessed by a demon, which is something that traditional belief systems and several religions believe can happen.

The Toa Mata transforming into the Toa Nuva is similar to the Transfiguration.

Naming Day is like receiving a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to the one receiving it, except in Bionicle everybody knows about the new name.

Takanuva is like a mashiach or the Messiah.

The Matoran losing their memories and waking up on Mata Nui is kind of like reincarnation and is similar to Native American legends about people coming out of the Earth.

Vakama being tempted by Roodaka is similar to Jesus being tempted by Satan (except Vakama actually did give in). (edited for spelling)

Keetongu is like a guru.

I know these aren't perfect analogies, but no analogies are perfect, and I had a few more ideas that I left out because I thought they were too much of a stretch. My list ended up being a little heavier on Christianity than I expected, which might be interesting.

Edited by Fyndegil
spelling

If the question here is merely "is Bionicle as big in the real world as a phenomenon as Star Wars," then, yeah... no contest.

But is the world that LEGO created in Bionicle as ambitious and expansive as Star Wars? Well... maybe. 

Actually, yes, would be my answer, but there's room for debate: Bionicle and Star Wars have a similar timeline (i.e. multiple tens of thousands of years), across a galaxy. One could argue that Bionicle has a narrower scope, since it focuses only on the inhabitants of one world, diffused over the GSR and the fragments of Spherus Magna, but I would say that Bionicle does a better job than Star Wars' new canon at making it actually feel as a large as it's meant to: Artahka or the Southern Isles feel immensely far from Mata Nui--to say nothing of Bara Magna--and while it make sense that the characters might be connected (they're all in the same self-aware "organism"), the Bionicles avoid the "everyone knows everyone, there's about fifty people in the galaxy" feeling that Star Wars falls into.

(Your Mileage May Vary on that front, but I find that to be an occasional problem with the old EU and a more besetting problem with the new one. Guess you could say I like Gen1 in both cases...)

I know, right? In Bionicle, it seems like travel is such a big deal, with each year basically taking place in only one location and going to a new location between years isn't undertaken lightly, whereas in Star Wars people just casually travel between planets like it's nothing. Like Episode I feels like it could all take place in like, Morocco, with a couple trips to New York City.

19 hours ago, Fyndegil said:

Vakama being tempted by Roodaka is similar to Jesus being tempted by Satan (except Vakama actually did give in). (edited for spelling)

I'd argue in a biblical sense that the story of Samson and Delilah has more in common with Vakama and Roodaka. In a broader mythology sense there are plenty of other stories about seduction and temptations in Greek myth as well.

But I argue Vakama and Roodaka share a lot with more modern film noir influences as well, with Vakama as a weary hero at his breaking point and Roodaka the seductive femme fatale manipulating him and stabbing him in the back. 

I am more familiar with western myth and religious beliefs than I am with Polynesian ones, but remember early MNOG had references to Maori demigods that were cut in later editions of the game... so I am sure some influence was definitely there in more than just the names. 

Edited by Xboxtravis
  • Like 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

On 9/20/2021 at 2:27 AM, Heyzorks said:

y a no lorents we r not al gud gramars

were bionicle as big as star wars, we would have

to live with the bionicle holiday special.

you know you don't want that.

We already live with The Legend Reborn. Not a lot better.

Edited by Lorentz
  • Upvote 1

On 9/25/2021 at 4:31 PM, Master Inika said:

Examples of Bionicle paralleling real-world mythological imagery:

1. prophecies/visions

2. places being named after founders/rulers (Artakha and Karzahni)

3. from the perspective of the Matoran, the truth about the Great Spirit Robot probably qualifies as a cosmological revelation

4. emphasis on explanations for why the world is the way it is

Not that these are necessarily unique to Bionicle, but it does lean into these associations more than other franchises of the time.

Certainly good points, but I was under the assumption that the parallels were going to be more specific.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2021 at 5:35 PM, Xboxtravis said:

I'd argue in a biblical sense that the story of Samson and Delilah has more in common with Vakama and Roodaka.

I can see where you're coming from with that. I made the comparison I did because I tend to think more literally: what Roodaka explicitly promised Vakama was power, and it wasn't so much of a tragic love story as Samson and Delilah was.

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2021 at 3:01 PM, Fyndegil said:

wasn't so much of a tragic love story as Samson and Delilah was.

I mean, said story really isn't. A guy hooked up with a gal who valued money better than any existing relationship, said guy was too blind to see that he was being manipulated (He hadn't even learned from a previous failed relationship), as he realizes he is doomed he gets one back so to speak. A tragic love story is more one where a perfect couple falls against forces that forbid their love etc.

I think a better comparison would be to say that the 'manipulative woman' trope exists in many cultures (e.g. Greek mythology) and has certainly gained infamy in modern times with Roodaka being obviously inspired from that. The movie's strange inclusion of Sidorak simping (and Roodaka's manipulation of that) shows that he is the main target of manipulation, a valuable asset, the horde is on the line here. Vakama is a mere play thing or pet so to speak, Roodaka may have won him over with words but less was at stake and romance was certainly no factor, only play of emotions such as desire for power. So in a way said Biblical story does fit in some ways but less so with Vakama.

Edited by Axelford

I honestly enjoy bionicle more, but that's partially because of how much lore there is to discover, but I understand why it's so hard to get into.

I'll be working on my own hypotheses to try to create a rich world that's easy to get into, easy to understand, but still deep and worth digging into.

Edited by Nektann
  • Like 1

Bazinga! I've been a Bionicle Fan since early 2015 and have been aware of it since 2008. Was a bit late to the party due to my age, but that doesn't matter now. Looking for krana and sealed G1 sets at below market value if possible, (otherwise it'll be a few years before I care to collect sets I don't care as much about) Bohrok Kal and Krana Kal Mask Pack sets are ones I am particularly looking for atm.

I go by Nektann or Marcato usually online.

On 11/8/2021 at 6:34 PM, Axelford said:

I mean, said story really isn't. . . . said guy was too blind to see that he was being manipulated

. . .

Vakama is a mere play thing or pet so to speak, Roodaka may have won him over with words but less was at stake and romance was certainly no factor, only play of emotions such as desire for power. So in a way said Biblical story does fit in some ways but less so with Vakama.

I was using tragic in a more classical sense: a hero falls due to a tragic flaw.

I think what's going on with the Roodaka-Vakama arc is that it was simply lifted from the Edmund-White Witch arc in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, which was probably Lewis's attempt at de-eroticizing the archetype, or something (although I wouldn't put it past the Freudians to come up with a wild alternative reading).

(edit: got a Jordan Peterson ad after posting this. Google is clearly spying on me.)

Edited by Fyndegil
I just had to share my paranoia
  • Like 1