The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

That's an interesting thing to think about, really (plus it'd sound kind of better). I'm wondering what other metal songs could be great without lyrics now...

Yeah that doesn't sound at all like a bad idea... I have all the tracks of Avenged Sevenfold's Nightmare as well as the instrumental songs. All of the instrumentals are insane!!

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

Well, been away from this topic forever.In response to the favourite albums of the year thing, my list of interesting upcoming albums was pretty short and half of them disappointed me so... Coheed and Cambria's "The Afterman: Descension" was brilliant, and Volbeat's "Outlaw Gentlemen And Shady Ladies" was much better than I expected. But the new Megadeth and Sabbath were immense disapointments.As for the second half of the year, the new Dream Theater is looking to be amazing,and there's finally a new Death Angel coming in october. Then of lesser note is Avenged Sevenfold's upcoming one, which I imagine will be enjoyable at least. Honestly, dashing y high expectations at the beginning of the year, 2013 has been pretty lackluster with music so far.

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

You've probably noticed this, Xin, but DT released the track listing for their new album. There's not one, but two suites.....this is looking fantastic!

(also if Enigma Machine isn't World War II-themed I will be extremely ticked off)

hopelessly drifting, bathing in beautiful agony

I know right? I'm hoping the second suite with it's 5 parts will be another 20-minuter. The artwork's nice in its simplicity aswell, IMO.

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

i used to like djent but then it just got done to death and really mediocre

i can still listen to periphery (not the full-lengths though, casey sabol and jake veredika are both much better vocalists than spence), and meshuggah

but i don't count meshuggah as djent even though they're often credited with inventing it because meshuggah are above genre classification

as for deathcore...whatever floats yr boat, i guess...

only in dreams.

i still don't like whitechapel, but i respect their use of 8-string guitars on their last album

i saw them at mayhem last year and they went hard, no doubt

also, unrelated, i heard getting away with murder by papa roach on the radio last night

felt like i was in 7th grade again

only in dreams.

you had me at "name your price"

I've been sorta curious about them for a while, liked a few songs I heard, but never bought any of their stuff or really got into them

this is definitely interesting though, I'll get it for sure

It's out though they set a minimum of $2. Still worth checking out

Also I don't know which songs of theirs you've heard but this has the vocalist from their first 2 albums, not their last 2, and stylistically it's closer to their old stuff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So, Das Seelenbrechen by Ihsahn is really good and stuff. By far my album of the year and probably the best thing he's ever done, including Emperor.

Really experimental avant-garde progressive black metal with lots of improvisation, as well as jazz and electronic influences. Couldn't be further up my alley.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Avatar, Five Finger Death Punch and Avenged Sevenfold...last night in Manchester.

Now I can die in peace.

Prodigia comploratus

Silens, oro

Regnet exitium

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

• 2 weeks later...

after a couple months of hints and teasers on their new facebook page, The Agony Scene have officially announced a reunion show on March 1, 2014 in their hometown of Tulsa, Oklahoma.

I really hope it's not just a one-off thing. I'd be thrilled it if they stayed together and worked on a new album, possibly via crowdfunding like Kickstarter or IndieGoGo since they don't have a label.

Vallenfyre - a death metal supergroup with members of Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride and At The Gates - have recently announced that they're working on a new album.

Super excited for it. I'm very glad that A Fragile King wasn't a one-off thing and they're actually treating it as a proper band.

Edited by Cheshire Cat

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

so split EPs by The Armed/Tharsis They and Nice Hooves/Golden Torso are both going to be released on December 17 in 7" vinyl and free digital download formats

I am so psyched you guys like you don't even know

on a completely unrelated note, Tharsis They is really really good and anyone who likes Converge, The Armed, Trap Them, etc. should check them out immediately

they released an album called Ominous Silence for free download through Myriad Records a couple years back, but then Myriad's owner was caught stealing tour funds from their bands and the label shut down and took the Bandcamp with it, so there's currently no official way to download the album

but since it was free to begin with I figure it's technically legal to share it so I could upload my VBR .zip of the album to Dropbox if anyone's interested

Dumb lyrics yes, but the actual music on that first record is so good.

I wonder how the reunion is going to affect the Outpatients project Mikee Goodman (one of the vocalists) recently announced. The one song they released so far - Throw Rocks - was really cool, so I hope there's more to come from them too. Although I would probably still prefer more SikTh.

You should totally check out Primal Rock Rebellion too if you haven't (Mikee's collaboration with Adrian Smith).

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

vader.jpg

I mean, I completely understand. What they do must be creatively exhausting, which is part of the reason why bands like SikTh and Refused break up, so I can see why they want to take a break. It's still a bit disappointing though.

At least it's only a hiatus, and even if they end up not coming back, the whole Vertikal project is a fantastic note to end on.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

The Agony Scene have confirmed that they are, in fact, back for good. it's not just a one-off reunion show thing.

I am so so so so so stoked about this.

update 1/1/14: they've confirmed that they are going to work on new music this year. so frickin psyched.

Edited by Ryuujin