The Nintendo 3DS is one of the latest handheld consoles, and is capable of stereoscopic 3D.I'm using the 3DS to type this, and it's a very cool device. The 3D effect is pretty noticeable, though the sweet spot could be a little easier to actually maintain when using the gyroscope to aim. =p

The question is: is it worth it? We all know Nintendo will debut a 3DS remake eventually, and considering the noticeable improvement from the original DS to the DS Lite last generation, the current 3DS seems especially unsatisfying. Though I'm almost certainly going to get one eventually, for KH3D and the inevitable 3D Pokemon game, I'm still not convinced the current model is worth buying.

~ Renewal ~

The question is: is it worth it? We all know Nintendo will debut a 3DS remake eventually, and considering the noticeable improvement from the original DS to the DS Lite last generation, the current 3DS seems especially unsatisfying. Though I'm almost certainly going to get one eventually, for KH3D and the inevitable 3D Pokemon game, I'm still not convinced the current model is worth buying.

I agree with this. That is why I haven't bought a 3DS yet. I probably won't be getting one unless this event happens first: the upgraded 3DS that will inevitably come out has a price cut. Otherwise, I won't be buying one.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I'm going to wait for the inevitable sequel before making any purchasing decisions. The price drop really didn't surprise me, considering how poorly it was doing in sales, but it did motivate me to get a GBA, to replace the one I lost =P. 170 is a fairly tantalizing price, though I'm still remarkably satisfied with my XL.

I got one day of release, went to a midnight launch for it and all. It was just me and my friend waiting outside HMV from 10:00pm until 12:00pm, but at least we met some very nice drunk people. One who said I was "cussing gorgeous", while giving me 20p. I took it as a compliment.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

I got mine the day of the price drop, took my paycheck from work, cashed it, and went right to the local FYE and picked it up. I use It a lot, I prefer playing original DS games on it instead of on my XL because they look so much better when you play them on their original resolution, and it has Netflix. It's also insanely comfortable to use.

There's one thing keeping me from getting a 3DS: How the old DS games look on it. If a 3DS owner could answer this for me, how bad to DS games look when played on the 3DS?

If you simply start the game normally, the game will be blown up to fit the larger screen. If you hold select while starting the game, however, the game will be sized down to the size of the smaller DS screen. Anyway, the reason the 3DS hasn't been doing as well as Nintendo hoped is probably because there aren't any great games for it yet. Sure, there's Ocarina of Time 3D and Star Fox 64 3D, but that's about it so far. Sales will definitely pick up once Super Mario 3D Land is released. Also, I don't really like the 3D effect. It hurts my eyes very quickly, and it's nearly impossible to use while in a car, which is when I normally use my 3DS. I usually just play with it turned off or at a very low setting. :t::b::3:

Q2TtLEz.png

Yes, it's worth it. Although there might be a new model in the future, I don't believe it's worth waiting over, as Nintendo's shown that the current model is able to be expanded. My personal opinion would be sometime in 2013, later 2012 at the very earliest.

I agree with this. That is why I haven't bought a 3DS yet. I probably won't be getting one unless this event happens first: the upgraded 3DS that will inevitably come out has a price cut. Otherwise, I won't be buying one.
Unless, of course, the price is worth it to start. I mean, if the thing has everything the 3DS has, an upgraded battery, an upgraded browser, possibly better screens(Dunno how that's entirely possible, but whatever. =P), and the slide pad extension built in; all at the 3DS's CURRENT price... Then would you still want a Price Drop? =P(Aside from wanting to get 20 more free games or something. :rolleyes: )

There's one thing keeping me from getting a 3DS: How the old DS games look on it. If a 3DS owner could answer this for me, how bad to DS games look when played on the 3DS?

If you simply start the game normally, the game will be blown up to fit the larger screen. If you hold select while starting the game, however, the game will be sized down to the size of the smaller DS screen. Anyway, the reason the 3DS hasn't been doing as well as Nintendo hoped is probably because there aren't any great games for it yet. Sure, there's Ocarina of Time 3D and Star Fox 64 3D, but that's about it so far. Sales will definitely pick up once Super Mario 3D Land is released. Also, I don't really like the 3D effect. It hurts my eyes very quickly, and it's nearly impossible to use while in a car, which is when I normally use my 3DS. I usually just play with it turned off or at a very low setting. :t: :b: :3:
Well, OoT3D is amazing, but I've gotta agree. However, every good game is pretty much getting released at once now... Tetris Axis, Pokemon Rumble Blast, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Cave Story 3D, and likely more that just haven't popped into my mind yet. As for the 3D effect, it works perfectly for me. However, I've only played the 3DS(OoT to be precise) in a car once, and while it wasn't that bad, the most problem that might be there, would be because of glaring light at times right on the screen. That doesn't help the 3D effect at all. =P

As for the 3D effect, it works perfectly for me. However, I've only played the 3DS(OoT to be precise) in a car once, and while it wasn't that bad, the most problem that might be there, would be because of glaring light at times right on the screen. That doesn't help the 3D effect at all. =P

Yeah, it seems to me that the glare is even worse on the 3DS than it was on the DS. :t::b::3:

Q2TtLEz.png

Balta: Yeah, the glare is strangely more noticeable... That might be because the entire top screen is made of a reflective material. Nice for a mirror; bad for when you're trying to play a game when the sun shines on the screen. =P The Slide Pad's nice, though. I don't use it for all DS games, but for the ones I do, it's really good. And I don't really see how anyone could play OoT without the Slide Pad, so I don't think that it would have worked at all on the DS. Terminus: Yes, so that. The other thing, while we're talking about that, is the fact that the 3DS scratches itself, because Nintendo failed to put bumpers that lifted the screen high enough, and the actual screen part extends past the touch screen.

Well, I've been doing different methods to prevent that from happening since I found out about it, but I need a permanent solution, and don't know what that could be. =/ The only lucky thing is, that for the first little while, the scratches aren't really scratches, and can just be wiped off the screen. =)

I bought my 3DS a month or so ago, and I'm perfectly happy with it. I've only got one game so far, but that will probably change once christmas rolls around... The one game I'm really excited about that's coming out soon is Kid Icarus. I've never played a game like it, and I can't wait to try it out. But I still love Ocarina of Time.

Defy Expectations

I actually bought a 3DS, despite being (mostly) happy with my old DS Lite beforehand. I was always planning to get one eventually, I just didn't see the point until they actually brought out some games I wanted. They've still barely managed that, but I got a really good deal on the console, so thought I'd grab it while I could. Overall, I like. The 3D does impress me. I still don't have any 3D games for it yet, but I shall probably look into that soon. Maybe get OoT or Starfox, or the new Mario game that's coming out.

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

Jalina: Ocarina's a very good game, and the remake just made it better.(I'm never going to play the N64 version again likely. =P) I mean; the item system is so streamlined that what would take you like 2 minutes or more to do in the N64 version, you can just go 'tap, tap, tap', and it'd be done in under a minute... Or, in the case of the Iron Boots, just hit a button to turn them on and off, and then a whole lot of time that would theoretically be wasted otherwise on the N64 version, would be saved. It's really a very good addition. And Kid Icarus sounds amazing, and I really hope that multiplayer isn't just local(Like Star Fox), though the delay is kinda disappointing, but allows more time to potentially add in online multiplayer. And I really wanna see what the first/second party devs can do with online, since it's apparently been upgraded since the DS. Cap'n K: Yeah, there's a reason OoT3D was my first game(Though currently only one). =P I want Star Fox, but given that there's so many awesome games coming out in the next few months, I might wait... It's not like there's online leaderboards. =P Now, Tetris Axis on the other hand... Danska: I badly needed a new system that could play DS upgrades(My original DS is bordering on five years almost, having got it in 2006.); and this does that and much, much more. 22 free games doesn't hurt either, even if ten of them aren't out yet, and five haven't been revealed. =P

I'll invest in one once they bring the GBA game slot back. :P

That'll be a looooooong wait then. =P Haven't you noticed? They're trying to kill the GBA off, that's why they removed it from the DSi and such. =P

I got one. I've got to say, I'm loving it! The only drawback I see it that the internet browser is pretty lame. Aside from that, Nintendo did a good job!

The browser is fail, I'll say it now. =P Mostly because it's so slow. Why does it take like 2 minutes just to load a page? =/ But yeah, Browser aside, the system's very good. Also nice to have essentially a portable NES, for the Ambassadors at least. =P

I got mine about two weeks ago. I love it; the 3D works just fine for me and doesn't seem to give me headaches. Which is weird, because I do get a lot of headaches.Anyway, I got the DS Lite when it was about as old as the 3DS is now, so I thought it's about time I get a 3DS. Especially since my DS Lite has recently been not recognizing my game card and/or freezing at the "push any button" screen. I just wish I hadn't lost all my DS Pokemon games prior to White, or I'd be able to trade with myself now.

button.png

I got mine right around when the forums went down. In hindsight, I should have waited, but I am having a ton of fun with those free games. I also got to play some 3DS games early at the San Diego Comic Con, and can say that I am really looking forward to all of them, especially Super Mario 3D Land.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

You've played Super Mario 3D Land, then, even if it's just a demo? Or was that a separate thought? If you actually played part of it, what's it like?And yes, those free games are indeed fun, I was playing Zelda 2 constantly for the longest time, and should get back to playing that soon. Only at the second temple, however.Also, any word yet on the exact date for when the revamped eShop, Mii Plaza, and that other update will be released? Or is it just still tentatively next month or so?(On that note... I wonder if that's when the GBA Ambassador games will be released? I mean, the whole reason they used the Download History for the first ten was how the eShop was set up - If they revamp that to be handled differently, then they might just release the last ten games with the revamped eShop.)

Guys, it is just awesome. The camera is a bit bad, but that might just be my bad lighting. The internet is good and I find the keyboard easy to use. It feels nice and natural to use it.

Tahu.png

i wanna be the very best

like no one ever was

to catch them is my real test

to train them is my cause

Shad: A lot better. MASSIVELY better.Let's put it this way... DS: It's graphics are on par with the N64, as multiple games have showed.3DS? More along the lines of the Gamecube or Wii; especially because it can run Monster Hunter Tri G... I haven't seen the trailer for that yet, but I've heard that the graphics for that is pretty much exactly the same as for Tri on the Wii... And that's saying something.Neelh: Oh, yeah, the Keyboard's great, I was able to type out the first post of the topic last night on the 3DS, and while it's not full keyboard with two hands speed, it's faster than other things, like using the Wii's keyboard. =P I still say that the browser could load a little faster, and support a couple more things(Like Flash...); but it's definitely a step up over having nothing in the original DS. =)

You've played Super Mario 3D Land, then, even if it's just a demo? Or was that a separate thought? If you actually played part of it, what's it like?

I got to play a level in it. The best way to describe it is that it is a 2D mario game, except 3D. Theres's the time limit, the checkpoints, a linear path, and the flag from 2D entries in the series. It has way more in common with New Super Mario Bros. than it has with Super Mario Galaxy.

Sounds very interesting. Matches up with what I've seen, but in the video they released on the eShop, it looked like it also had some typical 3D moves or so; but I could be mistaken. =P What other games had demos there?

That reminds me, I need to get the preview video for that.Interesting concept, and I'm awaiting it, as I only played like two seconds of the original, since I never had a Gamecube. =P I wonder if that'll use the Slide Pad Expansion? You have to admit, it'd likely make things slightly easier, since I heard about the C Stick being used for the vacuum in the original.

Sounds very interesting. Matches up with what I've seen, but in the video they released on the eShop, it looked like it also had some typical 3D moves or so; but I could be mistaken. =P What other games had demos there?

They had Kid Icaras (sp?) (which I did not get a chance to play), StarFox, Legend of Zelda (which is where I got the nice, big Ocarina of Time poster I have hanging in my dorm room), Lego Star Wars III, and Pokedex 3D. The only game that I spent time playing on the Wii was Skyward Sword, which controls how you would expect a Zelda game to control.

Sweet, that sounds cool then. Too bad you didn't get to play Kid Icarus, that would've been nice to see what it was like.Was the OoT poster a new piece of art, or one of the ones they were using for advertisement or so?

Are the graphics alot better than the DS, or slightly better?

The graphics are a lot better. The polygon count isn't that strong, only a bit better than the PSP (Somewhere around Gamecube or X-Box level, I'd say)But many effects and such, particularly the lighting, are nearly on par with the X-Box 360 (I got the lighting bit from an interview I read from the makers of (I think it was, anyways) Fifa)Not only that, but without the 3D effect, graphical potential essentially doubles.

um_banner.gif

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."

-Douglas Adams

How is it that everyone is talking about games but NO ONE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT LUIGI'S MANSION 2? You have to admit, the first one was very original and creative. The only flaw was that it was too short. So excited about the sequel.

Whenever I try to quote "that game" it doesnt let me post for some reason.

The Kingdom Hearts game will definitely be intriguing; and will be my first game that I play from that series. Hopefully it's friendly to new players, though I know most of the story of the others; enough to not be too confused. =P

Ditto. Same reason why I didn't buy the first generation, but waited until the DS lite.

The Redwall RPG; closed now
Update: RPG has migrated to another location and merged with another. Update 3/29/14 Still Alive 8+ years
Credit to Supernova Productions and Expired! for the Avatar.

Apparently I'm now Kopaka?

Got it at launch. Have Pilotwings Resort, SSF4 3D, LoZ: OoT 3D and Star Fox 64. The "3DS Boat" did not repulse me as much as it did most people, however I'm a bit irritated that it obviously means there'll be a 3DS Lite soon. Sad thing is though, I'm such an insane Nintendo fanboy, I'll be buying the "3DS Boat" and the dual-stick 3DS Lite. :P

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

I like the Dual Pad add on. I wonder how many people realize it also adds two buttons? =P Plus, I kinda like grip add-ons, as a controller's easier to hold than something like the GBA SP. The 3DS isn't as bad, but it is kinda thin. As it is, it couldn't support the two extra buttons and extra slide pad; because there's no room for it. Which is why the expansion's so big, because it needs the room. Should they have put the second pad on the bottom? Yeah, I think so, but that's mostly so it resembles the Gamecube Controller. Is it fine how it is now? Time will tell, but I believe so.