The Avengers Theme

MantaxApprentice

Marvel has just posted a first look at the LEGO sets based off the new movie "The Avengers". For those who do not know, the Avengers are Marvel's premier superhero team, comparable to DC's Justice League. The movie team consists of Iron Man, Captain America, the Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye and Black Widow. The film will be released on May 4.http://marvel.com/news/story/18104/first_look_avengers_toys_from_lego

Help me revise the BZPower Ultimate Price Guide:

http://www.bzpower.c...p?showtopic=951

PM me if you want to help!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Eh, looks okay. But I want a technic set type Iron Man. :P

Yeah. Hero Factory Style doesn't look right, and promotes clone sets more than Technic did.
I think the Hero Factory style looks pretty great for the Super Heroes sets, much better than the style of most BIONICLE parts. While the Technic Star Wars figures were pretty sweet back in the day, they often had terrible posability, and they were way more complex than your typical action figure set.Anyway, where are you seeing "clone sets" among the Super Heroes sets? The only thing they tend to have in common is that they're all humanoids, they all use the new friction joints, and they all use two torso beams. Other than those two factors, most of the Super Heroes constraction sets are very unique designs.

My, that Iron Man minifig has a bloated head. xP Certainly hope the effects are toned down in the final version.~B~

The "final versions" are actually no longer a mystery, since official pics are out and people on some sites have already obtained and started reviewing the sets.Iron Man's head is just as large in the final minifigure as in the preliminary one at Toy Fair, but the reason is that it actually has a visor that flips open to reveal Tony Stark's face. And with the finalized printing, the helmet doesn't look quite so bad. You can see several images here, and more sets here.

My, that Iron Man minifig has a bloated head. xP Certainly hope the effects are toned down in the final version.~B~

The "final versions" are actually no longer a mystery, since official pics are out and people on some sites have already obtained and started reviewing the sets.Iron Man's head is just as large in the final minifigure as in the preliminary one at Toy Fair, but the reason is that it actually has a visor that flips open to reveal Tony Stark's face. And with the finalized printing, the helmet doesn't look quite so bad. You can see several images here, and more sets here.
Well, that final version certainly does look better. I suppose the function of it flipping up as a visor also justifies the large size somewhat as well.~B~

Aww man, I just HAVE to get an Iron Man minifig, even if it has to be as a keychain. :PSpeaking of minifigures, I´m more than disappointed about Hulk. I didn´t expect him to have moveable legs, but come on! Undetachable head and what´s worse, undetachable hair? That´s just lame, LEGO, and you can do better. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/mad.gif-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Aww man, I just HAVE to get an Iron Man minifig, even if it has to be as a keychain. :PSpeaking of minifigures, I´m more than disappointed about Hulk. I didn´t expect him to have moveable legs, but come on! Undetachable head and what´s worse, undetachable hair? That´s just lame, LEGO, and you can do better. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/mad.gif-Gata signoff.jpg

The head and hair are a completely different size than those of standard minifigs, so even if they were detachable they couldn't be exchanged for any other head- or hairpieces. I'm personally impressed with Hulk, and can see how adding many of the features FOLs wanted (detachable head and hair, poseable legs) could have worsened the fig, in addition to making it more expensive.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The head and hair are a completely different size than those of standard minifigs, so even if they were detachable they couldn't be exchanged for any other head- or hairpieces. I'm personally impressed with Hulk, and can see how adding many of the features FOLs wanted (detachable head and hair, poseable legs) could have worsened the fig, in addition to making it more expensive.
Well, if they'd made the figure slightly smaller so that a regular head would fit then that would've cut costs, and then they could've used the money saved to add poseable legs and detachable head and hair.- Tilius
Very good point. As for the Hulk promotional minifigure, I think it´s too small for THE HULK. :P-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Well, if they'd made the figure slightly smaller so that a regular head would fit then that would've cut costs, and then they could've used the money saved to add poseable legs and detachable head and hair.- Tilius
The regular head hardly fits the far-too-small-for-the-Hulk Hagrid minifig; it looks awkward if he has any hairpiece smaller than his massive beard, which creates the illusion of a larger head. What's more, a smaller figure would eliminate the possibility of using the parts the Hulk fig does reuse; namely, the hands (from the fantasy Castle giant trolls) and the arms (from this year's Lord of the Rings cave troll).I doubt poseable legs could be made to look all that good. At best they might have been able to introduce spiral tortion to the fig (in other words, allowing his waist to rotate). Separate leg pieces could make it hard to give him his iconic crouch, and I doubt they would be very reusable (especially if, like the final fig, they had texture to suggest the Hulk's pants).As it is, I think the Hulk we got stands out as a brilliant design that perfectly captures the look of the character.

The regular head hardly fits the far-too-small-for-the-Hulk Hagrid minifig; it looks awkward if he has any hairpiece smaller than his massive beard, which creates the illusion of a larger head. What's more, a smaller figure would eliminate the possibility of using the parts the Hulk fig does reuse; namely, the hands (from the fantasy Castle giant trolls) and the arms (from this year's Lord of the Rings cave troll).I doubt poseable legs could be made to look all that good. At best they might have been able to introduce spiral tortion to the fig (in other words, allowing his waist to rotate). Separate leg pieces could make it hard to give him his iconic crouch, and I doubt they would be very reusable (especially if, like the final fig, they had texture to suggest the Hulk's pants).As it is, I think the Hulk we got stands out as a brilliant design that perfectly captures the look of the character.
I´m not too bugged by the unposeable legs, it´s mainly the head. By its shape, I expected it to be a regular minifig head so I was pretty disappointed it wasn´t. Even more disappointed was I about the hair, that was something I really would have expected to be a seperate piece. I´m not complaining about the looks of the figure, I think he looks fine, particularly the round head makes it stand out as a LEGO figure, which is definitely a good thing. I just feel LEGO could have done better.-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

I'd love to buy a few of these. Any ideas on which I should get first?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

No matter what sort of printing lego puts on that Iron man head, it'll always make me cringe. It's definitely the worst figure of this line , and if they had printed the head instead of making an actual helmet, iron man would likely have been the best figure in the entire line.I want that one with wolverine, magenta and deadpool. Three of the best character of all time. Especially deadpool.

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

I think the Iron Man figure is totally fine. The helmet is a little big, but it makes up for that in its cool printing. That, and Iron Man is just awesome.I'm probably going to get the Ultrabuild Iron Man and Loki's Cosmic Cube Escape. Maybe Captain America's Cycle if I still have the money (also buying HF and SW).Oh boy, this will be a great year for my wallet (sarcasm).~TNTS~

The long awaited third season of TA:OT is finally here!!

No matter what sort of printing lego puts on that Iron man head, it'll always make me cringe. It's definitely the worst figure of this line , and if they had printed the head instead of making an actual helmet, iron man would likely have been the best figure in the entire line.I want that one with wolverine, magenta and deadpool. Three of the best character of all time. Especially deadpool.

I don't think printing the head would work well. If he were a robot, maybe, but he's actually a human in powered armor, and his minifig should reflect that. The worst figure in my opinion would be Black Widow, who doesn't look much like the character she's supposed to represent at all.

For Iron Man, I think neither the removable helmet route nor the printed minifig head route really work. He really needs a head like C-3PO's - shaped as the Iron Man helmet, without needing to be big enough to fit a minifig head under.That would've worked well. But Batman has a big head and minifigs are hardly meant to be that accurate so it's not a big deal.- Tilius

Another thing I've considered is that the helmet might have been able to be made smaller if it didn't have the liftable visor. Tilius, you have the set. Can you estimate how much smaller it might have been sans visor?

Not much. Any configuration that includes a minifig head with a separate helmet piece is going to be about the same size, because you've still got an extra layer of plastic. The C-3PO-esque approach would've been the best one, I think. The promo Iron Man that is just a printed regular head looks worse than the big headed version IMO, so something inbetween would've worked well.- Tilius