Anime General Thread (Official)

Hodor

New Black Butler anime movie and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable anime adaptation confirmed. I am very pleased! :D

What a beautiful duwang. Chew.

The only subs I'm going to be watching will be the 240p, hard-subbed Duwang gag .wmvs that the imageboards will cook up.

hElbrZ6.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so, update on my ongoing anime (and other) activity...

Started Azumanga Daioh, little more than halfway through. Pretty good. Azumanga Daioh the manga was always fun, and the anime is little different. Love Osaka a lot in this (Tomo is no less annoying, fittingly enough, I guess).

Finished Digimon Frontier. Last arc was surprisingly good, and the last handful of episodes just really nice in general. Not a bad series all in all, but not amazing.

I finished reading Tokyo Ghoul, it was pretty good. Man, was Root A just a chunk of terrible. They took so much random stuff from the manga devoid of context and just...botched it all up. It deserved so much better. It was really pretty good. And it actually made some sense as opposed to not.

Finished the first season of Hidamari Sketch (pretty good) and now I'm watching x 365. It's also pretty good. Same old good, laid back humor.

Also started watching Futari wa Precure. Despite a bit of a mixed start, by episode 11, with more focus on the two of them instead of just Nagisa, it's shaping up to be pretty decent. Mepple's still a little jerk though.

And lastly I watched School-Live! In short, it was awesome. Loved this series. Delusions and sadness, plenty of twists, what more could one possibly want. Good frigging stuff.

Anyway, I got volume 5 of Index yesterday. It mostly just reminds me that I have yet to find the time to read volume 4, so I should...do that. I also got the first volume of Accelerator, so that should be interesting. Got a couple of other volumes of manga but I just haven't had time to check any of it out yet. Index should probably come first...

Edited by dotcom

AXKP5KC.png

I've fallen pretty behind on my seasonal shows sadly (3-4 weeks generally). Been a bit busy with fansubbing stuff, or working on an upcoming tabletop campaign or otherwise not feeling those shows in particular.

Watched Devilman: The Birth the other day. Great OVA- fantastic adaptation of the first volume of Devilman, which is an all time classic and one of my favorite manga of all time. I'd argue its lack of comedy actually made it better than its equivalent in the manga. Good stuff- I'll have to watch Demon Bird later.

The second RAWs became available, I nabbed Cyborg 009 VS Devilman since I've been excited for this since it was announced and am not waiting ages for subs. I've only seen the first episode, but what an episode it was. I'm not as familiar with Cyborg as I'd like to be, but I greatly enjoyed the OVA. The cold-opening- adapting Devilman's Jinmen chapter and the Apollo storyline of Cyborg- was very well done. The Jinmen sequence in particular was fantastic- adapting the second half of the chapter perfectly in my book. That's not something I can say lightly, as the Jinmen chapter is possibly one of the best in the medium.

The animation was solid too, and what I could pick up with my absolutely pathetic knowledge of Japanese set up the story well. Loved the climax of the first episode too, and enjoyed the homages to both series peppered in the OVA.

I've also started reading Knights of Sidonia, blazing through the first five volumes in a few days. I'm really enjoying it- fantastic art, solid writing, and interesting story. I'll have to read more of this later, and read more of Nihei's other works.. Is the anime any good? I'm kinda skeptical because I don't really like the all-CG artstyle they used.

Someone finally started translating the Record of Lodoss War novels, something I've been hoping for since I first saw the OVA. Of course I immediately started reading it, since Lodoss is wonderful. Good stuff, so far.

hElbrZ6.gif

guys

GUYS

G U Y S

HE'S OFF THE BOAT

ic2ZrtI.jpg

get hype

I never thought I'd see the day for the boat ride to end. I'm gonna have to dust off the Box of War boxset to celebrate. I appreciate that it's confirmed to be Elfhelm too, so we're finally going to see the plot moving for Guts again. Guts mentioned it was a 'fast trip', miura is screwing with us.

Only took seven years. I wonder how 'close' the story is to completion now? Seems like it's gearing up to the climax, or at least the final acts.

The fact the Behelit that Guts got from the Count is still around is worrisome. I remember reading a theory that the behelit isn't Guts' or Puck's- it's Casca's. Which makes me wonder what exactly will happen when her sanity returns. I doubt she'd take what Griffith has done well, considering her idolization of him.

Also there's a time delusion going around on Elfhelm. I'm pretty sure by the time Guts gets off, we'll see that the Godhand's plans and machinations have come to a pitch. Wondering if The Idea of Evil is going to be recanonized or not, too.

hElbrZ6.gif

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since anything's happened here, and the fall season's already over, and it was a pretty even split between the good and bad.

The second season of Testament of Sister New Devil had some potential, but it was completely wasted as this season just decided to go all-out on the fanservice and it kinda just dropped the ball on what was once a halfway decent plot.

My opinion of Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid was a bit better, if only because I didn't go in expecting much in the way of a good story, and more a fun action/fanservice series, and it delivered on both fronts.

I ended up dropping Seraph of the End for the live-action adaptation of Prison School, which I felt was a good decision. This version of Prison School moved a bit faster then the anime, covering all the material in the anime's 12 episodes in just 9, but it didn't really hurt the show that much, and the kinda cheesy over-the-top acting and good cast helped the show stay fun it's entire run.

And lastly there was Heavy Object, which was easily my favorite series this season. Qwenthur and Havia make for a pretty fun duo, and their battles against the objects are pretty fun to watch as well, as they have to rely more on their wit and quick thinking rather than just running in with guns blazing. It's got some good characters and story, so I'm pretty excited for what's gonna happen this season.

Speaking of this season, it seems like it'll mostly be continuations of stuff for me, mainly with the next parts of DRRR!!, Gate, and of course, Heavy Object, only new thing that's really on my radar is Schwarzesmarken.

Anyways, I also recently got the first two seasons of Full Metal Panic on Blu-Ray, so I've been rewatching those, it's still one of my favorite sites after seeing it a bunch of times, and with a new season finally happening after about ten years, it's as good a time as any to rewatch it.

I found the fall season to be pretty meh. Owarimonogatari was great, and One Punch Man was alright, but other than that...Comet Lucifer was just terrible. The Perfect Insider had a really really stupid ending, so that whole series was a bust. Komori-san Can't Decline was for the most part completely unremarkable and bland. I'd say it was completely average, but it managed to fit just enough unnecessary fanservice to tip it into a negative. Meh. Also Attack on titan Junior High. It made so little impression on me I completely forgot it existed until I went and checked just now. So yeah. Meh. 

For winter I'm watching a few continuations, like the last bit of DRRR!!x2 Ketsu, Assassination Classroom 2, and I guess Koyomimonogatari? Also watching a bunch others (Erased, Dagashi Kashi, Dimnsion W, Divine Gate, Koukaku no Pandora, Sekkou Boys, and Galko). Watching a bunch form studios or creators I am either unfamiliar with or wary of, but eh. Gotta take risks sometimes (as I always say, before ending up saddled with garbage like Owari no Seraph or Comet Lucifer for three months...). We'll see.

I've also been making some progress on Other Stuff. I watched Canaan, which was alright. I'm starting up Gravitation currently, watched the OVAs to start with. Pretty comical, though...old. And I'm now in the last season of Hidamari Sketch, it's definitely been getting better since Hoshimittsu started. I enjoy it a lot. Gonna be pretty sad to see it go once I'm finished with it. Also I finished Azumanga Daioh, it was pretty good. I'm watching Princess Tutu now, am almost halfway through. It's pretty much amazing. And I'm like...nearing the last stretch of Futari wa Precure? It was decent up until the end of the first arc, because Porun is just about the worst character ever. He's pretty much ruining the whole thing for me.

I've also watched a few OVAs...the first DRRR!!x2 one, The Pinto one for Tokyo Ghoul. Inoffensive stuff. Oh, and the Love Live movie I guess, found it pretty boring. The One Punch Man special out so far is pretty good, at least.

Ah, and I finally made time to finish volume 4 of Index. Angel Fall still doesn't really make much sense to me, but it was alright. What I've read of volume 5 thus far has been pretty great, though. After just Touma and more Touma seeing stuff from Accelerator's perspective is great, and Last Order is a really fun character. Hope I can read some more soon.

AXKP5KC.png

I still haven't caught up on what I missed for last season. Life's been in the way.

The only show I'll probably pick up is Undefeatable Bahamut Chronicles and Schwarzesmarken. Bahamut not because it looks anything resembling good, but because muh fantasy mecha. At best I'm expecting a dumb, schlocky harem comedy. Schwarzesmarken looks neat, but I might just wait until I read the Muv-Luv VNs. Nothing really big in my books hit until April, when Macross Delta starts up.

also a new Berserk anime some time this year.

hElbrZ6.gif

I don't feel like crossposting all my thoughts on everything I'm watching, but I'm watching...a bunch. So far it's ok. Pleased to see that my short anime this season aren't stupid 90 second bits of nothing. 8 minutes is good. Erased is probably the best one so far of what I'm watching, had a very strong first episode. Ghost Urn is probably the worst, at the least worse than the manga which itself wasn't too remarkable. As far as other remarkable things go...Divine Gate is...fun ("the water will fill the holes in the floor....BUT IT WON'T FILL THE HOLE IN MY HEART"). It's really cheesy and really dumb. It's probably gonna be really bad. Hoping I can at least derive entertainment from laughing at lines like that though.

Koyomimonogatari is reusing a remarkable number of assets from previous entries in the series which...I guess means they must have a pretty low budget...well, it's good enough for short side stories. Speaking of Monogatari, theaters for the American showings of part 1 of Kizu have been announced, and there's one fairly close to me. Really hoping I can go.

AXKP5KC.png

For all that Schwarzesmarken is- a gritty mecha series set in East Germany during the Cold War, complete with high East-West tensions, secret police, and executions of people suspected of being traitors, plus an added global crisis of an alien invasion, it's first episode just felt pretty "meh" to me. While I really like the concept, the execution felt really standard, plus the characters were kinda setting off the "this is gonna be another one of those mediocre harem shows" alarm bells in my head. I've still got hope for it, but among everything I've seen this season, Schwarzesmarken is is Right at the bottom.

Please tell me! Galko-chan is pretty much an anime version of the conversations that happened at my high school, except replace a bunch of guys in a locker room with girls in a classroom. It's kinda weird, but fun enough for a short.

Dagashi Kashi is the last of the new things this season I've started. I only started it because I like the character designs (mainly because a lot of the characters defy standard conventions by having really tiny eyes), so yeah. I actually like it so far, it has some pretty fun comedy, and the first episode introduced all the characters pretty well, so this is definitely one I'll be keeping up with.

In terms of returning shows, DRRR!! looks like it'll be focusing on Celty this season, which is pretty good since she's one of the characters I like more. Gate is also looking like another good season, with the JSDF showing off the power of their modern weaponry in secret political negotiations, while the empire is still standing against any prospect of peace, and the big earthquake that's coming isn't going to help anything, either. And Heavy Object is still on its South America arc, which has been the strongest arc so far. Overall, the continuation seasons are off to a good start.

I also started reading One Punch Man and My Monster Secret (Actually, I Am...). My Monster Secret was pretty much exactly what I was expecting after having watched the anime last year, and I had fun reading it. OPM, on the other hand, was arguably the most meh thing I've ever read in Jump, the characters are flat, the story is barely there, and at best it just jumps into goofy territory. The art is good, and I like Saitama, but otherwise there's really nothing going for it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll admit I need to catch up on my anime, someday I'll do a bunch of binge watching.

Most of my favorite franchises are light novels where the anime adaptation is mediorce (Like A Certain Magical Index.) A lot of anime is an adaptation of something nowadays now that I think about it.

Anyway if I can classify anime under the broad anime/manga/Visual Novels/light novels then I have a few favorites.

Ghost in the Shell

Appleseed

Nasuverse

A Certain Magical Index

Hunter x Hunter

Steins;Gate

Robotics Notes

Death Note

Cowboy Bebop

Spice and Wolf

Wolf's Rain

Full Metal Alchemist(Both interpretations.)

Serial Experiment Lain

Psycho-Pass

Toradora!!

Durarara!!

Xam'd

Last Exhile

Some anime on my to try list include:

Princess TuTu

Berserk

Revolutionary Girl Utena

JoJo's Bizarra Adventures

Bacanno

HST(Eventually they start slow but I hear they get better.)

Fairy Tale

Gundamn

Evangelian

Rounin Kenshin

Fist of the North Star

And some others I probably can't remember right now.

Also are any of you interested or familiar with A Certain Magical Index (As in not just seen the show but are into the Manga spin-offs, and Original Light Novels.) If so check out my first Arena thread it's Accelerator vs Voporak: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/22202-vs-arena-thread-1-voporak-vs-accelerator/

I watched Mirai Nikki over the past month or so. I regret having watched Mirai Nikki over the past month or so. It's a very bad show I do not like.

I also watched Mitsudomoe though. Mitsudomoe is hilarious. I like Mitsudomoe.

I also have watched and am watching a lot of other things. But I don't feel like talking about it.

AXKP5KC.png

• 1 month later...

Ghost in the Shell

Appleseed

Nasuverse

A Certain Magical Index

Hunter x Hunter

Steins;Gate

Robotics Notes

Death Note

Cowboy Bebop

Spice and Wolf

Wolf's Rain

Full Metal Alchemist(Both interpretations.)

Serial Experiment Lain

Psycho-Pass

Toradora!!

Durarara!!

Xam'd

Last Exhile

Some anime on my to try list include:

Princess TuTu

Berserk

Revolutionary Girl Utena

JoJo's Bizarra Adventures

Bacanno

HST(Eventually they start slow but I hear they get better.)

Fairy Tale

Gundamn

Evangelian

Rounin Kenshin

Fist of the North Star

You've got a lot of actiony, story heavy type of anime on there. If I may, I recommend you balance it out a little bit; have a nice relaxing show every now and then, you know? I highly recommend Madoka Magica, it's one of the best anime for this.

~Soran

Edited by Soran
  • Upvote 4
soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

• 1 month later...

Alright, I understand that it's two in the morning, but I just came back from one of the most intensely emotional experiences ever (not pleasant ones, mind you), and I need to address this right now, or my mind will explode.

NEVER WATCH AN ANIME CALLED "OREIMO." JUST DON'T DO IT. I'M NOT EMBARRASSED THAT I WATCHED IT, IT'S THE FACT THAT IT INFURIATED ME.

It's supposedly a show about how a girl who is cold to her brother gradually opens up to him and they start being friendlier and more personal, knid of how siblings should be. Kirino asks her brother, Kyousuke to come into her room to show him something, her secret stash of questionable goods. She then asks for his advice on what to do. The series starts rollin' from there. It was a good romp for the first season until its finale. But then they added a few extra episodes to the mix to make the audience feel satisfied. Those episodes were also crucial to understanding the second season. OH BOY, THE SECOND SEASON. OHOHOHOHO. 

It's been a while since I watched the first half of season 2, so bear with me. Kyousuke had rescued Kirino from studying abroad after Kirin sends him a worrisome text. Kyousuke and Kirino then become VERY friendly with each other. VERY friendly. Both say that they don't want the other dating because they want to be the most important people in each other's lives. Kyousuke starts dating Kuroneko, who has started to develop feelings for him. Alright, cool. Love in the series. A few episodes later, they break up. Joy. A trip on the Feelsy Wheelsy Funride. Then, Ayase, the girl who Kyousuke has been harassing for the entire series confesses her love to him after she took care of him for a month and realized her true feelings. REJECTED! He says that he loved someone else. Oh lord, please no. If you've been picking up what I've been laying down, good job, have a cookie. After a series of confessions and rejections, Kyousuke finally does it. He confesses his love for his sister on Christmas. But even still, after they date for some reason, and shatter past relationships, they reveal that it was all essentially a game. SALT. You played me, and I am NOT happy. The guy lost every chance because of their obsession with each other, and then the sheet covering my eyes was removed.  

If you can imagine the sheer amount of rage that built up in less than a second inside me, then please, take into consideration the idea of not watching this. It really ain't worth it, mate. My body burns with the raging fury of a thousand suns. 

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

There was a point, before the second season came out I think, when OreImo was on my to-watch list, but it became clear to me at some point that there was only one way a show with a title like that could go, and it was not one I cared to see. I have read about how it ended before though, and it really is about as bad as I would have expected. At this point I basically make it an habit to not even pay attention when the words "Imouto" or "Onii-chan" are in the title to anything. It is better that way.

Been a while since I posted in this topic tho...already mentioned Katanagatari. I watched all of SYD over the last month, it was pretty fun. Watched some Digimon Savers, Arakawa, Suite Precure, Cowboy Bebop before that...all placing somewhere on the decent to great spectrum, so that's...good. My to-watch list is getting shorter and shorter all the time (really hoping I can finally wrap it up this year) and I really hope I don't run into another friggin' Mirai Nikki. I can only take so much garbage.

Also watching like 10 shows this summer. Couple of them have started already. Haven't watched either. Finally going to finish reading Tonari-no Kaibutsu-kun first. Have reread up to volume 7, and boy do I love this manga. I've only read up to volume 9 previously, those last 4 volumes have me pretty hype. Should be fun.

AXKP5KC.png

I just watched 3 shows this past season, Kiznaiver, Space Patrol Luluco, and Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto. It ended up being one of those rare seasons where everything was pretty good, although that can probably be attributed to the fact that I watched almost nothing.

Kiznaiver was probably the weakest thing I watched this season, overall it had a lot of good parts, but it felt like a few more episodes (at least) would have helped the series.

I watched Space Patrol Luluco multiple times, although it worked best for me when I watched it with some friends over a party pizza. Definitely the more insane comedic side of Trigger when compared to their more serious Kiznaiver, and the show worked really well as a whole in that single-sitting viewing.

And my favorite this season was Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto. If there's one thing I'd normally fault this show for, it's how much of a non-character Sakamoto is (he's literally the personification of perfection and coolness, and nothing outside of that), but he's such a good comedic device that this really works to the show's advantage, especially since it has a rather nicely fleshed-out supporting cast to balance it out. Of course, I'm always a sucker for a good school comedy, so Sakamoto 's got that in its favor as well.

This season I'm definitely watching at least 3 series, but probably more once they start airing and I can check out first impressions. Mostly excited for the two Danganronpa series we're getting, although I do wonder if they're going to top Ultra Despair Girls in sheer completely screwed-up-ness, hoping we get some really good psychological horror in there. Also going to watch this year's Prisma Illya (is it safe to call this an annual show yet?), which I've been waiting for since last year.

Also, Bleach is apparently ending in a few weeks. It's good, since Bleach should've ended years ago (before the fullbringer arc), yet at the same time, Kubo's been digging himself a massive hole this arc by giving every character their own really important thing to do (mostly battles and stuff) so there are like a million ongoing battles/plots going on at the same time and absolutely no way that they can be wrapped up in half a volume's worth of chapters well. Ah well, maybe it'll get wrapped up in a way similar to Naruto (at least I hope).

I watched those three plus Flying Witch, Kuma Miko, AssClass and Mayoiga last season. Luluco is probably my favorite one, Kiznaiver wasn't too bad though. I kind of finished the season wishing I'd watched nothing else tho. Flying Witch and Assassination Classroom aren't bad, but I found the former unengaging and to the end I just couldn't care about AssClass. Kuma Miko was unpleasant to watch, and Sakamoto...is good. But I like the manga so much more, it basically wasn't a good use of my time. I decided to put it on hold until I finish the manga, so...well, the last volume comes out this month. Will try to get back to it.

Mayoiga deserves to be executed. Is bad animeme.

This season I'm watching the Danganronpas, seasons 2 of Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu LOVE and Arslan, Mob Psycho 100, 91 Days, Amanchu, (this art clubs got probs yo), Naria Girls and orange. A friend may also get me to watch Love Live Sunshine. Not sure yet. Depends on whether he believes in Amazon. We'll see.

AXKP5KC.png

My favorite last season was JoJo Part 4, followed closely by Re:Zero and Luluco. This season I only picked up 8 series and none of the ones that have premiered have wowed me, except for Food Wars S2 which started off as good as S1 but suffered a bit from a slightly rushed first episode. The less said of the new Berserk, the better.

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey

I was interested in Berserk until I saw trailers for it. Full CG anime isn't at a place where I'd watch more than a minute of it yet.

Anyways, started a few shows this season, Sweetness & Lighting, Prisma Illya Season 4, and Hybrid Heart Academy. Sweetness & Lighting looks like it'll be the one calm anime I'll be watching this season, as Prisma Illya actually jumped right into the action this year instead of having a bunch of light-hearted episodes like last year. And then there's Hybrid Heart, which is... Pretty bad, even by bad trashy fanservice anime standards. Might give it another episode, but I'm expecting I'm not gonna keep on watching this one.

Also been following Brotherhood Final Fantasy XV, so far it's been doing a good job of introducing the main characters with some stories of their relationships in the past, which is all it really needs to do since it's just a prequel to the game. The series so far gives me some extra hope for FFXV.

Edited by Terminus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...