Anime General Thread (Official)

Hodor

Yeah, I loved Aquarion Evol up until episode 18 or 19, and then it just kinda broke. I'd still buy it though, because I liked the rest of the show that much. And the music is top-tier.

And Eureka Seven is easily one of my top favourite anime. The sequel was okay, but it doesn't really stand up to the original at all.

Edited by Kottsu
misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

If I do end up dropping the mecha anime this season I might just end up watching Mazinkaiser SKL. Completely forgot about Shin Mazinger and I'm still hoping for Shin Great Mazinger and Shin Grendizer to finally get made. Now that I think about it, Valvrave is also made by Sunrise and getting some model kits out just like Gundam...

-Where there is light, shadows lurk and fear reigns-

-Yet by the blade of Knights, mankind was given hope-

I'm currently watching Mobile Suit Gundam 00. Unfortunately, I've heard that the character development progresses very slowly, and I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion on that(no spoilers, please).

metroid.gif

"Why can't I dream that I'm alone?" "That is not a dream, that is a substitute for reality"

"So where is my dream?" "it is a continuation of reality"

"But where is my reality?" "It is at the end of your dream"

Okay, thanks! I'm still in the first season, and was probably going to watch season 2 anyway unless I found out it really wasn't worth watching all the way through.Now that I think about it, the reason I haven't been in this topic before is because normally, I read the manga version of a series, and this is the General Anime Thread, not General Anime/Manga Thread. The main reason this is the case is because I like to read the original story. That and I have more opportunities to read than watch stuff.

metroid.gif

"Why can't I dream that I'm alone?" "That is not a dream, that is a substitute for reality"

"So where is my dream?" "it is a continuation of reality"

"But where is my reality?" "It is at the end of your dream"

Well, I just finished the Iron Man anime last night, in my opinion it was rather good. All I know about Iron Man is from the movies, so I'm glad that it basically fit in with the continuity of the movies right between 1 and 2. It had a decent story, although I would have liked a better ending, but it was overall a pretty good mecha show. Plus, it's the only anime I know of where the main character's reasoning is something along the lines of "because I'm an American!"

Also, just read the latest chapter of Bleach. And while I wasn't exactly expecting it, I wasn't really surprised that Ichigo's also a

Quincy, in addition to being a Human, Soul Reaper, Visored, and Fullbringer.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be a Persona User, a Mecha Pilot, an Alien, and a Magical Girl, and a bunch of other things. Anyways, I hope that they make the final arc into an Anime eventually, but not for a while. What killed the anime, IMO, was the crazy amounts of awful filler they put in there, and I wouldn't want any more of that, but It would be a shame to not animate the current arc, since it's far better than some of the previous arcs.

I don't suppose The Boondocks TV series counts as anime? I mean it has the style..

Not by the western definition. Good show, though.

Not even if it was animated in Korea..?

Nope. The western definition of 'anime' is 'Japanese cartoons'. Boondocks is a western show, despite the location of the animation studio.

Edited by Alastor MacBatman

hElbrZ6.gif

I don't suppose The Boondocks TV series counts as anime? I mean it has the style..

Not by the western definition. Good show, though.

Not even if it was animated in Korea..?

Nope. The western definition of 'anime' is 'Japanese cartoons'. Boondocks is a western show, despite the location of the animation studio.

Well.. was worth a try.

~ CHTrilogy

An amazing anime I watched recently is Sword Art Online. It tops all the animes I've ever seen.

Watch more anime.

NEW HIDAMARI SKETCH. IT'S HAPPENING.

I like how this statement implies opinions that don't correspond with yours are wrong.

Edited by -Whiplash-

Gamers rise up, not down

Well, today turned out to be my lucky day. Went into a local FYE to buy a birthday present for my mom, and decided to check out the anime section since I was there. It's an incredibly small section, so basically it usually only has a few Viz and Funi titles, and sometimes a few Ghibli films, so I wasn't expecting to see anything I couldn't get cheaper elsewhere. Then I saw a used copy of the Evangelion Platinum Box (in great condition), for only $25, which is about half of the cheapest price on Amazon. Quite happy about my find, I've been hoping to get it for a while.Anyways, what's the difference between the regular and Director's Cut versions of episodes 21-14 of NGE?

Well, today turned out to be my lucky day. Went into a local FYE to buy a birthday present for my mom, and decided to check out the anime section since I was there. It's an incredibly small section, so basically it usually only has a few Viz and Funi titles, and sometimes a few Ghibli films, so I wasn't expecting to see anything I couldn't get cheaper elsewhere. Then I saw a used copy of the Evangelion Platinum Box (in great condition), for only $25, which is about half of the cheapest price on Amazon. Quite happy about my find, I've been hoping to get it for a while.Anyways, what's the difference between the regular and Director's Cut versions of episodes 21-14 of NGE?

Footage from Death and Rebirth is added.

hElbrZ6.gif

newtype_april_13_issue.jpg

>"Serialization resumes next month!"

>more FSSzkdagsdasdkashdhkjadshsa

HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE

please say we're either getting Reboot translated officially or a scan group finally picks this up

oh god, can't contain glee

Spoiled for size.

hElbrZ6.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just finished Elfen Lied. Very good series, but also somewhat unsettling. The intense amounts of violence, combined with the dual personalities of Lucy/Nyu and some other content made it incredibly creepy, but I also found the series to be enjoyable. And although I could pretty much exactly guess the ending from the very beginning, it did get there in a good way.Anyways, I also got caught up on Robotics;Notes and Vividred Operation, R;N is finally where I've been waiting for it to go, after a while of waiting, but the show isn't as balanced as Steins;Gate in terms of pacing, which annoyed me for a while. And Vividred is at that point where I'm not sure what to think of the series, but I'm glad episode 10 ended the way it did.

Edited by Terminus24

• 2 weeks later...

New Super Robot Wars announced for PSP. The cast list is very much something I think some of you would like.

"Super Robot Taisen OE will be a digital download title on PSN. 8 Chapters in total, Chapter 1 is 500yen, subsequent chapters are 1000yen each. Complete pack is 6940yen. Each chapter contains about 20+ missions, and chapter one is planned for release this Summer. The rest will follow "in a short span of time".The game systems will be based on SRW Neo, and the battle scenes are a mix of 3D and 2D. There will be 50 series in the game, with more to be added later."New series in are in bold.Gurren LagannVOTOMSVOTOMS Pailsen FilesVOTOMS Last Red ShoulderLayznerRaijin-OhGambarugerGosaurerDaiteiohRyu-KnightSgt. FrogCode GeassZoids Chaotic CenturyZoids GenesisDunbineL-GaimJuushin LigerGetter Robo ArmageddonShin MazingerGundam 0079Gundam 08th MS TeamGundam 0080Zeta GundamZZ GundamG GundamGundam WingGundam SeedGundam 00Mobile Police Patlabor The MovieMobile Police Patlabor IIMacross FGoshogunDancougarNG Knight Lamune & 40and more unrevealed

Is this real life.Is this just fantasy.This is just fantastic. It's great to see the original Gundam again, as is to see 0080. The return of most of NEO's debuts (Ganbaruger, Go-Saurer, Daiteioh, Ryu-Knight, Liger, and Lamune) is glorious, especially with the return of Dunbine- pretty much confirming my dreams of a fantasy themed entry. L-Gaim, VOTOMS, and Layzner are also nice to see.SGT. Frog takes me by shock, though. But after the shoehorning of Miku Hatsune into UX, I can't really all it unexpected. At least this one makes sense.The debut of Patlabor is something I've been dreaming of, and also shrinks the list of 'never going to be in' series. And considering the current trend, I wouldn't be shocked if something like Star Driver or Dougram shows up next. Rayearth and Mashin Hero Wataru would be nice, but since CLAMP and the creator of Wataru have vetoed them before, it's unlikely at best.

hElbrZ6.gif

I would be more excited for Patlabor in SRW if any of the games past Judgement ever saw English translations.

I gave up on Robotics;Notes far later than I should have, around episode 15. Waaay too much time spent hoping turn around for the better while hanging around to watch characters I didn't care for do things I cared even less about.

As for Gundam, 00 starts good and gets better in the second season, while Unicorn is really good if you can stomach all of the ideological drivvle. I'm watching the first series too. I was surprised at how good it was getting after episode 4 and then ten episodes later it hit the Whiny Protagonist wall I was afraid it would hit. Here's hoping it gets better~

Don't get me started on EVOL. Just. Don't.

Edited by Bio D
doctor-who-premier.jpg

Yeah, so my worst nightmare has come true. Aniplex of America is releasing Gurren Lagann on DVD.The worst part is that the most barebones version (a DVD Collector's Edition) costs over 3 times what you can get the Bandai release for ($175), and the super-duper mega BD boxset is an import that costs the Japanese price (about $490), plus the cost of the DVD set, for a total of $670.So, I guess I gotta order the Bandai release ASAP. Actually been planning on it for ages, but now seems to be the last chance.

Edited by Terminus24

I recently just finished watching A certain Magical Index and A certain Scientific rail gun. Do those two tie in together story wise? I mean I know you see the use of the Imagine breaker in A certain scientific railgun but is A certain magical index a spin off, prequel or sequel or vise versa?Also with those two anime I have just finished watching my 325th series :P

BZPRPG Characters

Tahmira

First, I would seriously suggest using normal text just like everyone else. Weird text is a serious eyesore for pretty much everyone else.

Anyway, the events of A Certain Scientific Railgun occur before and during the first season of A Certain Magical Index. There is a second season of A Certain Scientific Railgun coming out in just a week (A Certain Scientific Railgun S) that covers the Sisters arc from A Certain Magical Index, and possibly a bit more beyond that.

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

Yeah, so my worst nightmare has come true. Aniplex of America is releasing Gurren Lagann on DVD.The worst part is that the most barebones version (a DVD Collector's Edition) costs over 3 times what you can get the Bandai release for ($175), and the super-duper mega BD boxset is an import that costs the Japanese price (about $490), plus the cost of the DVD set, for a total of $670.So, I guess I gotta order the Bandai release ASAP. Actually been planning on it for ages, but now seems to be the last chance.

Now that I go and look at the DVD set, it's not quite as bad as I expected based on your little rant thing there, but I personally wouldn't buy it. I would hope they release a basic set some time in the future, but we'll see.

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

It's nice, but not worth $175, considering the current release is only $50, and the soundtrack would maybe add $30 or so, and considering what it is (a 6-year old series with a soundtrack and a few extras), I'd probably pay a little more than one of the Madoka boxes, $100 at the absolute most.Anyways, most people haven't liked AoA for a while, but this rerelease really got to a lot of people.

Yeah, well I grabbed one of the few remaining copies of the Bandai release on Amazon this morning, so I'm fine with the Aniplex release now. I just feel sorry for those who want to get Gurren Lagann, but there isn't a good-price version on the market anymore.

What would really be bad is if Aniplex licensed a good title I really wanted. Like Gosick. Then I'd have to shell out the money for it, and there might not be a dub, either. Anyways, why has nobody licensed that yet? Since crime dramas are so popular over here, I'm surprised nobody's picked it up yet.

And I picked up a copy of Trigun: Badlands Rumble earlier today. Had the regular amounts of Trigun action and humor (I really liked Amelia), and it was nice to see an older series get a good-looking visual update. Now, if they only would animate the Maximum manga...

Yeah, I really want Gosick as well. And if AoA did release a set like that Gurren Lagann one, I'd still buy it. But really they should stop focusing on these super premium releases and do more stuff like that Oreimo release they had last year or so.

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

Since anime is going... Somewhere in North America (not exactly really mainstream, but I've noticed a definite expansion in the anime/manga sections of stores I visit), it would pay to be accessible. Most people really don't want to pay super-premium prices just to watch an anime series, and Funimation and Sentai know that, but Aniplex seems to be completely stuck in Japan. If SAO hits Adult Swim or Toonami (which wouldn't surprise me in the least), Aniplex had better release that in a basic DVD form, as I'm sure it'd be really popular.Anyways, I think the TTGL set is the same mistake Aniplex made with the DRRR! BD box set (which apparently didn't do so well) last year: it's already been available on DVD for a while at a cheaper price, so everyone who wants it will either already own it or snag the regular DVD, and only the the really big fans will buy it.Oh, and I heard that the Fate/Zero dub might get a physical release- if the super-expensive import boxes sell out. Now that's just a bad business plan.

Yes, so, hello anime thread. I haven't posted in you since 2011.

I spent the last month+ watching Toaru Majutsu no Index (With Toaru Kagaku no Railgun sandwiched in between Index and Index II). I really liked Index (Didn't really think Railgun was anything special but am excited for Railgun S in any case). Anyway, I've kind of gotten used to spending some time daily watching anime, and now that I'm done with Toaru I'm feeling kind of starved for something to watch. I've been meaning to watch Bokurano for a while now, so I was wondering if anyone here has seen that and if they recommend it at all?

I've also gotten recommendations for Elfen Lied for a while now, and I was wondering about the violence. I'm not really super into gore, so I'd like to ask, exactly how much is there? Is it like, FMAB? Two FMABs? One and a half? I could deal with one and a half.

Any other recommendations would also be welcome. My favorite anime series so far are Panty & Stocking, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Soul Eater, and probably Toaru Majutsu no Index now, if that helps any.

Thanks to anybody who replies in advance.

AXKP5KC.png

Ha, yeah. At last I understand all those google-wearing Sisters I saw in your signature for so long.

Anyway, I've also been interested in giving Eureka Seven a watch. Giant robots and good music(from what I've seen at least)? Should be fun.

AXKP5KC.png

I've been meaning to watch Bokurano for a while now, so I was wondering if anyone here has seen that and if they recommend it at all?

Buy/download the manga and listen to the anime's opening as you read.

The Bokurano anime suffers badly from having staff that didn't like the source material and Gonzo adaptation.

I do suggest Gankutsuou, if you haven't seen it, though. Fantastic series, that.

hElbrZ6.gif

I've also gotten recommendations for Elfen Lied for a while now, and I was wondering about the violence. I'm not really super into gore, so I'd like to ask, exactly how much is there? Is it like, FMAB? Two FMABs? One and a half? I could deal with one and a half.

EL is one of those series that is just extremely violent, I remember it was one of the top 5 or so bloodiest anime series ever. Here's an example, from the first episode:

The series opened with a shot of a disembodied arm, lying in a pool of bloosd. The screen than shifts to the person who lost his arm, he is holding what is left and appears to be in pain until his head explodes into a fountain of blood. The next few minutes are basically of the killer, who escaped confinement, cutting people in half, blowing their heads up, and basically turning everyone into pools of blood. This goes on for a while (5 or so minutes), until she is about to escape, when she is temporarily stopped by a bunch of guards. Suddenly, a secretary who is passing by trips and falls, then her head is ripped off and her body is used as a shield, and the killer gets past the guards and escapes.

Yeah, so basically, it's loaded with dismemberment, blowing up heads, slicing people in half, and generally turning people into fountains of blood. The extreme violence lightens up a tiny bit after the first episode, but then it comes back towards the end of the series, once the flashback episodes hit.

I've been meaning to watch Bokurano for a while now, so I was wondering if anyone here has seen that and if they recommend it at all?

Buy/download the manga and listen to the anime's opening as you read.

The Bokurano anime suffers badly from having staff that didn't like the source material and Gonzo adaptation.

I do suggest Gankutsuou, if you haven't seen it, though. Fantastic series, that.

It's funny you mention that, because the opening's music is what got me interested in it in the first place. But yeah, I have read that some things were changed since they didn't like the manga. Watching it still sounds tempting, although reading it is also definitely in my to-do list.

EL is one of those series that is just extremely violent, I remember it was one of the top 5 or so bloodiest anime series ever. Here's an example, from the first episode:

The series opened with a shot of a disembodied arm, lying in a pool of bloosd. The screen than shifts to the person who lost his arm, he is holding what is left and appears to be in pain until his head explodes into a fountain of blood. The next few minutes are basically of the killer, who escaped confinement, cutting people in half, blowing their heads up, and basically turning everyone into pools of blood. This goes on for a while (5 or so minutes), until she is about to escape, when she is temporarily stopped by a bunch of guards. Suddenly, a secretary who is passing by trips and falls, then her head is ripped off and her body is used as a shield, and the killer gets past the guards and escapes.

Yeah, so basically, it's loaded with dismemberment, blowing up heads, slicing people in half, and generally turning people into fountains of blood. The extreme violence lightens up a tiny bit after the first episode, but then it comes back towards the end of the series, once the flashback episodes hit.

Hmm, yeah, that sounds like a lot of what I have read in other places. I don't think I mind the blood specifically or even the violence that much. I think I'm mostly wondering how graphic the violence is? I mean, exploding heads in an undetailed and spontaneous manner or really graphic? I don't know. I've never been desensitized to extreme violence, so although this anime interests me I'm also really wary.

AXKP5KC.png