Anime General Thread (Official)

Hodor

The SAO LNs got picked up by Yen Press, and I'm kinda really shocked. Just the manga (which they also got) wouldn't have surprised me, but hopefully this is good news for Light Novels. Might pick them up, everything after the anime sounds pretty neat. Mostly GGO.And I read all of the translated chapters of Freezing a little wile ago. The anime was good enough for me to want to see how the story would play out in the second season, but the manga is just so much better, not surprised its in the top ten on the fan translation site.

I already started reading the fan translation of the SAO LNs but I'll definitely be purchasing it when it comes out here. Hopefully they start releasing the volumes in fairly short intervals because I've heard good things about everything after the anime. More light novel licenses are always welcome, especially if the anime isn't as good or doesn't adapt the full story.

Edited by DYLAN the SINKING STAR

I already started reading the fan translation of the SAO LNs but I'll definitely be purchasing it when it comes out here. Hopefully they start releasing the volumes in fairly short intervals because I've heard good things about everything after the anime. More light novel licenses are always welcome, especially if the anime isn't as good or doesn't adapt the full story.

Hmm, where'd you find the fan translations? I might be interested in checking them out.Now that I've added Attack on Titan to my weekly list, I need to find another series to speed through when I have spare time ha. Anyone here seen Haiyore! Nyaruko-san? Some toku friends recommended it a while ago so thought I'd get some more opinions on it since I've been putting it off.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Would Tower of God count as a manga?Because I've been reading a lot of it, it's very good.

It's a manhwa, which is just the term for a Korean manga. So yeah, it is, it's just a manga that isn't Japanese.

I cannot find any manga that interests me, anywhere, ever. Can someone help me with this?

What would you be looking for? Manga genres are just as numerous as anime.

• 2 months later...

Just finished the newest Coppelion, and the way it does cliffhanger endings is fantastic. Not my favorite show this season, but it's definitely the one that I always want to see as soon as possible. I can't really think of anything else that has weekly cliffhangers done this well.

Beyond the Boundary and Kill la Kill are constantly competing for my top spot, although since I thought that this week's Kill la Kill was one of the better episodes so far, and I'm almost positive this week's Beyond the Boundary is filler, so it's really a no brainer that Kill la Kill is on top for the moment.

I also can't stop finding things that somewhat annoy me in both Freezing Vibration and BlazBlue: Alter Memory, although with Freezing it's more changes to the story and timeline (I was really hoping that they'd skip the Brother arc... not that it's bad, but the E-Pandora arc is just so much better), and BlazBlue just sucks.

And the rest of what I'm watching this season (besides Tokyo Ravens) is all comedies. Golden Time and Non Non Biyori are at the top, Outbreak Company is in the middle, and I Couldn’t Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Got A Job is at the bottom of the comedies I'm watching.

So it turned out that Berserk's serialization doesn't resume until the new year, after Miura's new miniseries ends. I'll be in the corner, sobbing if anyone needs me.EDIT: Watched the first two eps of Attack on Titan. By all means, the show is awful so far. The characters are almost completely unlikable, annoying, or just bland. The fluid animation is countered by the terrible, terrible art style and bad CG (and hampered further by the fact the backdrops and characters rarely look like they exist on the same plane of reality). The writing, even for anime, is melodramatic at best. And yet, it's like a trainwreck in its unintentional comedy value. The show's so goofy, that the giant robot cartoons I watch somehow are more serious.

Edited by Alastor MacBatman

hElbrZ6.gif

Well, the new Fate/stay night anime looks like It's going to be revealed in January. Definitely looking forward to this, I've played through maybe 1/4 of the visual novel and it's good so far.

What I don't like is how we already have more information for this than the Sailor Moon Anime (supposedly) coming out in two months. That was supposed to come out this summer, and yet we still know essentially nothing about it.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I ordered the Mystery Box of 30 Anime DVDs from Crunchyroll a few weeks ago when it was on sale for $25, and it finally arrived today!

30mysteryanimebox.jpgA good mix of stuff I have and haven't heard of, and I'm probably going to end up watching maybe about 2/3 of it, while the other third will go to FYE and get me some money (although I'm really not expecting much). Anyways, here's what I got:

Appleseed

Armitage: Dual Matrix

Astro Boy: The Beginning

Burn-Up Scramble 1

Dragon Hunters 1-4

Ex-Driver The Movie

Fighting Spirit 1

Gregory Horror Show

Gun X Sword 1,5, and 7

Heat Guy J 1

Last Exile 1-4

Lupin The 3rd Royal Scramble

The Melody of Oblivion 3

Rumiko Takahashi Anthology 1

Serial Experiments Lain 1

Submarine 707R (Both Standard and Limited editions)

The Soul Taker 2, 4

Viewtiful Joe 1

X Volume 3

Zipang 1

Only one I really know anything other than the name about is Armitage: Dual Matrix (I liked the OVA, so I'm glad I get to see the sequel), anyone know anthing about any of the other things I got?

So fairly recently I've finished WataMote, Attack on Titan, Squid Girl and Danganronpa. All great series. Would definitely recommend WataMote and Danganronpa, as they're short and oh so good.

Right now I'm working my way through the AoT manga and have started sort of watching/reading playthroughs/transcripts of Super Danganronpa 2. Pretty neat.

Also started a few series: Bakemonogatari, Toradora!, and I just just started Durarara! Bakemonogatari has been...weird. Toradora! is really fun so far. Haven't seen enough of Durarara! to make a comment. Buuuut it's related to Baccano! so it should be great.

Edited by dotcom

AXKP5KC.png

Got Corpse Princess on DVD last week. I really enjoyed it, then it just... Stopped. And not just in the middle of an arc, but in the middle of a battle. Sure, it kinda ends, but... Wow. That has to be one of the most disappointing anime endings I've ever seen. And what's even worse is that the manga isn't translated up to the end of the series yet...

Samurai Flamenco is the single most brilliant anime this season... so far atleast. But what a fantastic deconstruction and analysis of japanese tokusatsu superheroes, let me tell you.

Everyone needs to see it right now. It's on Crunchyroll, you are not losing anything.

Plus there's a violent magical girl vigilante. Sarracenian is pleased.

hereheis.gif

--------------

Reach Heaven by Violence.

And while you are at it, see Bionicle characters as Magical Girls.

Well, just finished the newest episode of BlazBlue: Alter Memory, and... This anime just has too many problems with it. Mainly animation (seriously, Makoto's blood kept disappearing and reappearing this episode), but also this is an example of a perfectly good, but rather complicated VN getting an adaptation that just convolutes the story further.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait until Bayonetta: Bloody Fate is availabe for a good game adaptation. And going by reviews, it sounds really good.

Anyways, what will people be watching when the next season starts? I'm definitely going to be watching Nisekoi (I'm rather enjoying the manga in Weekly Shonen Jump), and I'm thinking of giving Super Sonico a try. And I'm probably going to pick and choose a few more a week or two after everything starts.

A month ago, I would have thought Sailor Moon might still be coming out, but now that there's only about a month until it would start and we have no PV, character designs, promo art, anything, I'm convinced that It won't be happening until Spring, maybe even Summer. If we're lucky, it might happen in time for Sailor Moon's 50th anniversary.

Just watched the first episode of Samurai Flamenco.

I don't see why the friend who pushed me to didn't try pushing harder when he knows I'm into the toku shows it's satirizing (although he doesn't quite realize how much heh). That was fantastic.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Well, just picked up Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 on DVD earlier. And the really good part: they were all the LE singles instead of the complete series, so I also now have half of the LOTR manga. Awesome.

Anyways, it's the end of the year again, so what was everyone's favorite series this year? For me, it's the first half of Kill La Kill, which is just an absolute blast to watch, IMO. Really just love it's absurdly excessive over-the-topness.

Kyousougiga was my favourite series of this past season, but my favourite of the year?

Probably Railgun S (main story arc, anyway) or Maoyu (from the winter season).

I've been watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes recently. Currently 36 episodes in. It's living up to its reputation pretty well.

Edited by Kothra
misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

Dang, I haven't been on here in forever. Anyway, what anime are y'all most excited for this month (or year, if month is too narrow)?

For me, personally, I'm really looking forward to:

• Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! (Chu-2 for short) Season 2 (fantastic first season, I highly recommend it if you're into romance/comedy anime). January 9th.
  • Nisekoi (also a romance/comedy). The 11th.
  • Pupa (fantasy/horror/psychological; the teasers will mess you up) The 10th.
  • Seitokai Yakuindomo Season 2 (comedy/school anime; also has a fantastic first season) The 4th!
  • Saikin, Imouto no Yousu ga Chotto Oksahiinda ga. (yet another romance/comedy anime) Also the 4th!

I definitely suggest you check those out with first seasons already released. They're absolutely amazing.

untitled_1_by_tehresistance-d75oigo.jpg

Finally just finished watching everything I was following from last season. Overall... Not that bad. Here are my thoughts:

Kill la Kill is insane, in an awesome kind of way that you'd expect from the people behind Gurren Lagann and Panty and Stocking. Definitely my favorite leading into next season.

Non Non Biyori was just cute, funny, and my favorite comedy this season. Really hoping this one gets another season most out of everything I watched.

I thought Freezing Vibration would suffer from both the E-Pandora and Brother arcs being squished into twelve episodes, but it managed pretty well. The story was altered slightly from the manga to change the timeline, along with a few other minor details, but it all worked fine in the end.

Outbreak Company was a pretty enjoyable comedy, although your enjoyment of the series is very dependent on how much of an Otaku you are. Plenty of in jokes, although it's still got a bunch for people who aren't really Otakus.

Don't watch BlazBlue: Alter Memory, play BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend instead. You'll thank me.

I almost dropped I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job a few episodes in, but I stuck it out lond enough for it to basically become a slightly worse version of The Devil is a Part-Timer! Thankfully, it was still funny, so it managed to do it's job as a comedy.

Beyond the Boundary was pretty fun, even though it felt like it was going all over the place at times. Really enjoyed the animation on this one.

Once I got past the awful CG (and insanely dense main character) of Tokyo Ravens, I liked it. Looking foward to when the Main Character realizes something (most likely in the next episode) that he should've realized about ten episodes ago.

Golden Time managed to both have a moderately interesting amnesiac main character and be a funny Rom-Com, although the series has dropped a little over the past few episodes. Still, hoping for some improvement in the second half.

Coppelion was interesting at first (complete with really good cliffhangers), until it became post-apocalyptic A Certain Scientific Railgun. It still managed to stay around average, though, in my opinion.

I really enjoyed Miss Monochrome, and I'm hopeful for a continuation up unil Monochrome becomes an Idol. Really woth checking out, the entire series is only 48 minutes long (each episode is 3 minutes and the ED song in each episode is 1 minute, so it's only 36 minutes if you skip the ED songs).

SAO Extra Edition is out-

only to be a 100 minute recap with some sequel hooks added in.

-_-

I was looking forward to maybe some new content outside of a post-plot scene thats made to promote SAO2

Oh, and I finished Durarara!!

And I think it might be a bit better than Baccano IMO.

Edited by The Lonesome Wanderer

"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's how Team Gurren rolls!"

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

Things I'm looking forward to this year?

So far, the only things to color my interest are Nobunga the FOOL, Toei Robot Girls Z (the heroes anime deserves), Sailor Moon 2014 (>implying it's coming out), and JJBA: Stardust Crusaders.

Plus I gotta finish up the 15-20 other shows I've either got on hold or are watching.

ugh, short attention span.

hElbrZ6.gif