Anime General Thread (Official)

Hodor

So apparently a few weeks ago it was announced that Soul Eater NOT! will be getting an anime. Although not the Soul Eater remake I wanted, as a huge fan of NOT! that is still great news, and more Soul Eater can easily lead to more Soul Eater. I do worry about how much content NOT! has right now, though. Though the manga started in 2011, its 3rd volume came out only last December (Volume 2 came out around mid 2012...) Dependig on when the anime comes out, they'll probably have to resort to filler even faster than the original anime did....

AXKP5KC.png

Planning on watching TRGZ later today. I need to add more stuff to my list of things to watch this season, anyways.

Anyways, what I've seen this season so far:

Super Sonico the Animation: Honestly, I can't really believe how perfectly mediocre the first episode of this was. I can't really say anything bad about it, yet at the same time, there's nothing really good I can say about it. It just feels REALLY plain. Hoping it goes somewhere.

D-Frag!: Simply put, it's one of the best first episodes of a comedy series I've seen in a while, with a few pretty good laugh-out-loud moments. A bunch of nerdy high school girls scaring (and beating) the heck out of a bunch of delinquents is one of the funner things I've seen in a while.

I've also started Recently, My Sister is Unusual. And that's all I'm going to say about that show.

July is far enough away for it to get another delay. Which wouldn't surprise me.

At this point, what they need to do is release a PV, Promo Art, anything to get me to believe that there might possibly not be a delay. You'd think that if they've been working on this for over one and a half years, they'd have something to show for it. It would've been a much more effective announcement, IMO, if it came with a three second video of virtually nothing, or a half-drawn character design for Luna, or anything to indicate that the staff also hasn't been waiting 1.5 years to start on this.

Anywys, this announcement is still good-ish news. Depending how you look at it.

Man, I just want them to get Yasuhiro Imagawa, or Ikuni again, to direct. Imagawa knows how to homage a franchise- he'd be perfect.

And maybe Tuxedo Mask wouldn't be useless in this.

Edit-

Watched Nobunga the Fool's first ep. Seems like it's gonna be a fun series, especially nice for a rare medieval robots series like this (ignoring the space travel and random assortment of historical characters, it's blatant about being set in generally medieval times).

Edited by iHodor

hElbrZ6.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw episode 5 of Attack On Titan.

Farewell Dear Ducts,

I hardly knew ya.

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

Well, the last translated volume of Full Metal Panic Sigma (finally) came out yesterday... And boy, was that one heck of an ending. It's been a pretty serious military-action series for a while, and while I liked that, I'm glad that they were able to go back to having a little more comedy in the series (greatly helped by the reveal that

Kurz

is still alive). Also, the ending wasn't what I was expecting before the volume, but it was probably better and definitely really good and satisfying.

Now somebody needs to translate the sequel, because now I just want to know what happens after this ending...

Anyways, I recently started watching Senran Kagura, as I've been enjoying the games. It's not great, but not bad if you're a fan of the games. Although the fact that both the Final Fantasy and Blazblue anime series (and those are some of my favorite games, BTW) absolutely sucked probably really lowered my expectations for anime based off of games.

XSeed has dropped a few hints that make the sequel's release seem inevitable, but I've ordered a copy from Japan because I'm extremely impatient just in case. Anyways, I'm three episodes in, and it's more along the lines of supplementary character development than anything else. It adds to the world of the game, but sure as heck isn't a replacement.

Just recently finished Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica and I've got to say it's definitely a favorite, I loved the dark tone, the music was incredible with tracks being addictive yet haunting, art style is nice as well the whole design for witches really caught me off guard but I felt it worked, characters were well made

To the point where I teared up at the deaths of Mami, Sayaka, and Kyoko even with how the ending played out

,and the ending

When Madoka had wished to erase all witches while a bit confusing made some sense after I stopped to think about it, by the end I was tearing up because of what happened to Madoka for wishing this and the fact her family appearing to Homura later on really got to me

All in all I loved this anime and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Another anime I finished recently was Senyu which I found utterly hilarious with its humor and characters preferably Ros who is pretty much one of the best anime characters around.

Edited by Shinigami ToaD
I'm just ToaD

I didn't really have any problems with the way Madoka ended, although when I'm saying that, I'm probably putting waaay too much faith in Rebellion being absolutely amazing. It's kinda like how much I appreciate Evangelion 3.33 in the end depends on how good Final is.

Anyways, I'd really like to see some of the Madoka spinoff manga (mainly Kazumi) get animated. Kazumi tried to be an even darker Madoka (mainly through the use of more violence and gore), and while it kinda succeeded there, it was just too short for the sheer amount of main characters in it. I could see it possibly working out well in 12 or so episodes, considering how it's just slightly longer than the Madoka manga which was drastically shortened from the anime to make each episode only one chapter long.

Also, I finished Senran Kagura last night and... What? I'm kinda surprised at how much they changed the ending (they changed almost everything), and yes, the back half is definitely worse than the worst, mainly because it completely messed up the game's not-tooo-bad plot. The only good thing that happened in the second half is that they added a bit more depth to Rin and Daidoji's characters, which is really why I was watching it (they get barely any development in the games).

Edited by Raku Ichijo

• 2 weeks later...

Started reading Attack on Titan's manga yesterday, since I've got nothing better to do while waiting for the next chapter of Berserk and/or the comics I follow to show up and have been feeling a bit of a burn out on anime.

It's okay- not great, but not awful. I'm probably tolerating the manga more than the anime by virtue of being a decently fast reader so I'm not feeling like they're dragging out the scenes for run time.

Isayama is a terrible artist, though- this is some DeviantArt levels of stuff. Proportions are out of whack, the artist only knows the same four faces, etc. Though the Titans look both comical and like something out of Junji Ito's sketchpad because of how laughably bad Isayama's art is, so that's pretty nice. The Colossal Titan also looks pretty cool, despite a very basic and arguably uninspired design.

It's pretty generic, character wise, too. Eren's the usual 'ANGRY EDGY KID WITH A GRUDGE', Mikasa's the 'awesome and mysterious deus ex machina waifu', Armin's 'supersmart coward who is secretly seven kinds of awesome!', etc. Pretty trite and bland, with Mikasa and Eren being incredibly hard to tolerate. There's also no sense of any real danger with them, too- they're pretty blatantly shielded by plot armor, with the actions scenes doing nothing to relieve this with the deaths of underdeveloped side characters. If anything, it makes it even more obvious that they're not going to get hurt very much.

Really like the setting, though. Probably the best part of it.

hElbrZ6.gif

Well, the new Railgun S short is out. Not as LOL-ful as the others, but the Pacific Rim segment was definitely enjoyable.

Although the Metal Gear reference in Recently my Sister is Unusual earlier this week is one of the best pop culture references I've seen in anime for a while.

I finished Steins;Gate yesterday!

All in All, pretty awesome. And it fills out my Top 5!

TLW'S TOP 5 ANIME(as of now)

-Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

-Fate/Zero

-Bakemonogatari

-Steins;Gate

-Gurren Lagaan

"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's how Team Gurren rolls!"

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

Knew it. I saw it coming since maybe 10 or so episodes ago, but in the latest Kill la Kill, It's revealed that

Ryuko is Satsuki's Sister/Ragyo's Daughter.

Also, your top 5 list reminded me... I need to finish FMA:B. I liked it, but never got past the first 10 episodes or so.

The idea that the anime has better pacing... Really makes me not want to read the manga. I can tolerate bad pacing, but only if I've really gotten invested into the series or have just been following it forever (i.e. Bleach and Naruto).

Anyways, it appears that Gen Urobuchi and Ei Aoki are doing a new mecha series. I wonder if more of the Fate/Zero staff will end up being attached to this, as it's also from A-1. Also hoping Urobuchi does more for this than he did for Gargantia.

Edited by Raku Ichijo

Catched up with Kill la Kill.

The Kamui designs are still godawful and ruins every scene its in.

That will forever be the only opinion I will state about the show.

Also, Revolutionary Girl Utena is so far really good.

Edited by SarracenianKaijin

hereheis.gif

--------------

Reach Heaven by Violence.

And while you are at it, see Bionicle characters as Magical Girls.

I finished Madoka!

And I will never find a way to watch Rebellion :(

There are camrips online you can watch, and it's gonna be on Bluray/DVD on April 8th!

---

The new Kill la Kill. Hoooooooooooooly cow, that was crazy.

I guess all those Kamui swaps between Ryuko and Satsuki we've been seeing for forever are now canon!

---

The new Chu-2 was cute, as always.

Fake Fake Mori Summer got ripped APART. You go, Nibutani.

untitled_1_by_tehresistance-d75oigo.jpg

Not entirely anime, but I finally managed to get my hands on the Soul Eater Soul Art artbook and wow golly it's so pretty. Probs only worth it to a serious fan, but I really really like it it is amazing. Especially the Spartoi spread and the Eureka Seven and Fullmetal Alchemist crossover pictures (which I actually hadn't seen before!) they are seriously rad.

I've been trying to make some headway in my anime watching but it turns out I don't find Durarara! and Nisemonogatari that interesting lately so I usually end up wandering off from hulu and go do something else. (It's really setting me back) Toradora is still pretty great, even though I'm at the part where it takes the unfortunate but inevitable turn in the plot. Ah well.

AXKP5KC.png

How many eps was RGZ? I saw the first 3 when they came out, and then... I kinda just haven't caught up.

Actually, I need to catch up on about half of the things I've been following this season, mainly Sakura Trick, Golden Time, and Super Sonico. Oh, and Pupa. I forgot that existed.

Well, I know what I'm doing tonight now!