Doctor Who. Official!

I have a lot of negative emotions directed towards closing time. Really, the day is saved by the Power of Heart? It's not cliche, it's just sad. I was hoping that Craig would stay converted and though the Cybermen would be destroyed, it would further convince the Doctor that he only brings pain to his companions.

"Danger is the anvil on which trust is forged"-Jaller(Jala) :smilejala: 
"We're on our own here-like we've always been-and we'll stand or fall on our own"-Tanma
"He may seem slow and strange to you, but his simple words often carry a hidden wisdom"-Turaga Vakama on Kapura

9B586E38-224D-4703-8EE3-5A0AC1CB8344.png.4f8ec6246a5ad7273e1c0d55cb15537e.png
Kanohi: Stories of a Matoran Vigilante The Impact of a Rebirth: a Kanohi Fanfic The Willing Exiles: a Kanohi Fanfic SKA PC Profiles: Kanohi, Collector, Mahrika Kardaka BZPRPG Profiles Avatar by @Harvali 

I have a lot of negative emotions directed towards closing time. Really, the day is saved by the Power of Heart? It's not cliche, it's just sad. I was hoping that Craig would stay converted and though the Cybermen would be destroyed, it would further convince the Doctor that he only brings pain to his companions.

I think it was meant to be a fairly lighthearted episode before the final. I actually quite liked it, regardless of how illogical it was. It's Doctor Who! A lot of stuff happens just because some character wished hard enough, so, by this show's standards, it wasn't too much of a stretch that a baby crying could stop a Cyberman-conversion. I do think the other Cybermen being destroyed by it, however, is taking it a little bit beyond my suspension of disbelief. Anyone else find it weird that those Cybermen were basically just humans stuck inside a suit of armour with their emotions turned off? I thought it was a human brain in a robot body or something...

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

No, that wouldn't have made sense in Closing Time. The episode was supposed to be therapeutic and cathartic, something to ease the Doctor into willingly going to his death

7AOYGDJ.jpg

I can see it as light hearted, Stormaggedon was definitely played for humor. But I still doubt that human emotion is really that strong.Yeah, I think that classic Cybermen were suits of armor though. So maybe the ones in Closing Time were of that group.I personally preferred Pete's World Cybermen, because they were the race the Doctor thinks has so much potential. The need to assimilate, to dominate, to convert; these are all human behaviors. The PW Cybermen were born of mankind's fear of death, and their cruelty. They are human nature, save without compassion and kindness. They show us what were are like without restraint, monsters. They are worse than the Daleks, at least the Dalek's don't turn you into one of them, they only kill you. A quick death is better than a lifeless future.

"We're on our own here-like we've always been-and we'll stand or fall on our own"-Tanma
"He may seem slow and strange to you, but his simple words often carry a hidden wisdom"-Turaga Vakama on Kapura

Kanohi: Stories of a Matoran Vigilante The Impact of a Rebirth: a Kanohi Fanfic The Willing Exiles: a Kanohi Fanfic SKA PC Profiles: Kanohi, Collector, Mahrika Kardaka BZPRPG Profiles Avatar by @Harvali 

Another thing that bothers me- I could tell that the shop assistant and security guard were going to die, purely based on the colour of their skin. Yes, it's probably bad that I made that assumption, but it's even worse that I'm usually right. If the show didn't do it so often, I wouldn't have come to expect it by now.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Anyone else find it weird that those Cybermen were basically just humans stuck inside a suit of armour with their emotions turned off? I thought it was a human brain in a robot body or something...

Cybus 'cybermen' are brains in suits. The original Mondasian Cybermen (and various off-shoots) were the result of a human-like race that, very slowly, began replacing their limbs, organs etc. with mechanical components and eventually took it to the logical extreme. They're a mesh of organic and cybernetic parts, so it's not as clear-cut as just a person or a brain in a mechanical suit. Open a Cyberman up and it'll probably be all kinds of funky. I think Craig's conversion was mentioned as being 'stage 1'. My interpretation of that is that it's a preliminary (perhaps emergency, given the state they were in) process that would make him functional, but not fully converted.

I personally preferred Pete's World Cybermen, because they were the race the Doctor thinks has so much potential. The need to assimilate, to dominate, to convert; these are all human behaviors.

I agree, it's a really good idea. My only problem with it is them being called Cybermen. They're not. The Mondasian Cybermen's primary motivation is to survive by any means necessary, This means expanding, converting other species and eliminating ones that pose a threat. The method they came up with for survival is 'make sure nothing else can pose a threat' which basically means conquer everything. They believe organic life is weak, limited by emotions and is 'not to be trusted'. Unlike the Daleks, they believe progress and change are good things if they will benefit the Cyber race and are not on a quest to eliminate all other life because it's different. Because they think logically, it is theoretically possible to reason with the Cybermen (though rarely in practise). You could, theoretically, convince them that conquering the universe is not the best option, though you would probably need 100 Doctors all being super-persuasive each backed up by a significant threat to even begin to make any headway on that front. In case you didn't notice, I kind of like the Cybermen. :P

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

Anyone else find it weird that those Cybermen were basically just humans stuck inside a suit of armour with their emotions turned off? I thought it was a human brain in a robot body or something...

Cybus 'cybermen' are brains in suits. The original Mondasian Cybermen (and various off-shoots) were the result of a human-like race that, very slowly, began replacing their limbs, organs etc. with mechanical components and eventually took it to the logical extreme. They're a mesh of organic and cybernetic parts, so it's not as clear-cut as just a person or a brain in a mechanical suit. Open a Cyberman up and it'll probably be all kinds of funky. I think Craig's conversion was mentioned as being 'stage 1'. My interpretation of that is that it's a preliminary (perhaps emergency, given the state they were in) process that would make him functional, but not fully converted.

I personally preferred Pete's World Cybermen, because they were the race the Doctor thinks has so much potential. The need to assimilate, to dominate, to convert; these are all human behaviors.

I agree, it's a really good idea. My only problem with it is them being called Cybermen. They're not. The Mondasian Cybermen's primary motivation is to survive by any means necessary, This means expanding, converting other species and eliminating ones that pose a threat. The method they came up with for survival is 'make sure nothing else can pose a threat' which basically means conquer everything. They believe organic life is weak, limited by emotions and is 'not to be trusted'. Unlike the Daleks, they believe progress and change are good things if they will benefit the Cyber race and are not on a quest to eliminate all other life because it's different. Because they think logically, it is theoretically possible to reason with the Cybermen (though rarely in practise). You could, theoretically, convince them that conquering the universe is not the best option, though you would probably need 100 Doctors all being super-persuasive each backed up by a significant threat to even begin to make any headway on that front. In case you didn't notice, I kind of like the Cybermen. :P
Agreed, didn't classic who indicate that the classic Cybermen would eventually ascend to another plane? Or was that not canon? Either way, the Cybermen need their own season. One could argue that series 2 was a Cybermen/Torchwood season, but the climax was stolen by the Daleks. The Daleks were like an afterthought, and they didn't even see the Cybermen as a threat.

Agreed, didn't classic who indicate that the classic Cybermen would eventually ascend to another plane? Or was that not canon? Either way, the Cybermen need their own season. One could argue that series 2 was a Cybermen/Torchwood season, but the climax was stolen by the Daleks. The Daleks were like an afterthought, and they didn't even see the Cybermen as a threat.
I don't think there was anything about that in the TV series, so I don't regard it as canon. :P Theoretically they could become all sorts of things. I think in one of the books or radio shows (or something. One of the non-TV sources) they become the most peaceful race in the universe. That's not impossible for the Cybermen, though it would make a very dull story. They definitely need their own series, though I fear if they get one I'll only be annoyed when they deviate even slightly from what I consider to be the 'core concept' of the Cybermen which, as I explained, is a foolish thing to do since they have the potential to change and be radically different from their traditional view. Well, what good has making sense ever done anyone? :P Nevertheless, I expect them to be a threat worthy of the entire galaxy forming an alliance to destroy them (though ideally without involving some sort of ridiculous galaxy/universe/reality destroying bomb), because that did happen.

Banner 2.png

I don't think there was anything about that in the TV series, so I don't regard it as canon. :P Theoretically they could become all sorts of things. I think in one of the books or radio shows (or something. One of the non-TV sources) they become the most peaceful race in the universe. That's not impossible for the Cybermen, though it would make a very dull story. They definitely need their own series, though I fear if they get one I'll only be annoyed when they deviate even slightly from what I consider to be the 'core concept' of the Cybermen which, as I explained, is a foolish thing to do since they have the potential to change and be radically different from their traditional view. Well, what good has making sense ever done anyone? :P Nevertheless, I expect them to be a threat worthy of the entire galaxy forming an alliance to destroy them (though ideally without involving some sort of ridiculous galaxy/universe/reality destroying bomb), because that did happen.

Yeah, I see the significance as that the Cybermen have the potential to stop fighting others, while there is no hope for the Daleks. If the Doctor really tried, he might be able to use logic to stop a cyber attack. But Daleks will not stop until all are dead. After which the Daleks would become really depressed and purposeless with no one to kill. Yeah, one must be careful with keeping the cast IC. That is why we can't see any more Weeping Angels, at least as the main villains. They aren't adaptable enough to use frequently without changing their stats.

The rest of my family is REALLY into Doctor Who ever since the day they watched an episode after taking years with not understanding much of the weird Doctor-related things that go on at the convention they go to.As much as I try, I can't seem to get into it at all, I've watched a few episodes here and there, but I haven't watched very much besides those few little episodes. I just don't know why I'm the only one in my family unaffected by Doctor Who. Is it a weird condition that only the Doctor can help? (heh, had to do that)

Please enjoy a series of on signals and off signals sent from a far off computer to yours, forming short messages that may disturb and amuse!

I like you, Konahkan. Though I don't find it as bad as you. I've just grown bored of Amy and Rory (surprisingly; I love the idea of keeping the Companions on for more than a season with the same Doctor, but those two just drag on. I think if it was just one static Companion, my feelings would be different).

audio_narration_project_banner_small.jpg

I like you, Konahkan. Though I don't find it as bad as you. I've just grown bored of Amy and Rory (surprisingly; I love the idea of keeping the Companions on for more than a season with the same Doctor, but those two just drag on. I think if it was just one static Companion, my feelings would be different).

I agree. Well, Torchwood seems to make a lot more sense than most of the DW episodes now, maybe because it has the David Tennant writer, Russell T Davies. I much prefer him to Steven Moffat.

For me, BIONICLE was an epic science fantasy saga with a deep and complex lore, and was best when it was exactly that in its later years. I'm not sorry if that offended you.

I'm one of those fans who has based his entire life around the show. And I love it. A lot.Tennant and Smith are my favorite Doctors at the moment, but I'll wait until I can see more Classic episodes to form better opinions on the original Doctors.

tumblr_nqf48uh9bw1ql4nt1o2_500.jpg
tumblr_nqf48uh9bw1ql4nt1o1_500.jpg

That's where I must disagree, Konahkan. I prefer Moffat as a writer to Davies. Davies always tried to portray the Doctor as some sort of god, and focused far too much on him, rather than the Companions. I hated that. And his writing in general got to me, with the Daleks appearing so much, and all of the resets, basically (granted, Moffat did it too, but in a much smarter way that makes you think, rather than just being pulled out of nowhere. Granted, your mileage may vary.).

audio_narration_project_banner_small.jpg

I also agree that Children of Earth is the only good thing to come out of Torchwood. Series 1 was poor and 2 mediocre (though it is sad I found them to be better than Doctor Who of the same era). Miracle Day was truly awful. It might have worked as another 5-part series, though even then I have my doubts. If they make another series of Torchwood, I will not be watching. I think my brain would start dribbling out my ears. I definitely prefer Moffat over Davies and, while he has his faults, it's nice to be be in a situation where I can pick them out rather than having to scrabble around to find anything good (as was the case with Davies). I definitely think he needs to focus a bit more on writing stand-alone (scary) episodes, because that seems to be where his strengths lie. I'm also dissapointed that Amy and Rory are returning in Series 7 (particularly if they return as full-time companions, which will probably be the case). While I like them both, I would dearly love to see Eleven zipping around the universe with someone new at his side.

Banner 2.png

It's confirmed for just a few episodes, not full time.

Oooh, really? Do you have a source for this? I'd like to have a look. One of the reasons I'd also like to see them not return is because, well, they have a life now. A decent, normal life with a nice house, jobs (at least for Amy) and a very shiny car. It's the best position the Doctor's ever left anyone in. It would be nice to see them not wind up with their life ruined. Or dead. And yes. Rory is awesome. Edited by Danska: Shadow Master

Banner 2.png

My guess is that Amy and Rory will be akin to Martha in Series 4; living their own lives but able to call the Doctor if they need help for an ep or two.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Apparently it's been announced that Moffat's only giving us half of 2012's series, and showing the rest in 2013....WHAT!? Doesn't he think I pay my licence fee for a reason? :upset:

Moffat moved Doctor Who to a fall show because people prefer to be outside doing stuff with their families at 6 PM on a sunny Saturday afternoon in the spring/summer, not inside watching TV. It's a business move and a smart one from such a visionary producer. I might as well chime in on all the discussion going on: I loved the two finales! River's revelation was unexpected and the episode itself was good--twists, turns, and witty dialogue. The actual finale had everything expected (and unexpected) while being really cool with the time disruption and solving the Doctor's death (while it was a double, thank goodness it wasn't a Ganger). While it wasn't as good as The Big Bang it certainly showed Moffat's brilliance. (And besides, that ending! The question! Moffat is such a troll. So awesome.)Let's Kill Hitler was filler, admittedly, but it did its job. Nothing to hate it for, really. Just not something you'd show someone to convince them to watch DW. -CF(And of course, The Doctor's Wife was amazing!)

nexo_shields_9.jpg

One thing I don't get is the idea that it's helpful for the Doctor that everyone thinks he's dead. Why, how on earth does that help? Most of the time, anyone who meets him has no idea who he is, and anyone who does recognise him will just figure that it's a younger version of him from whizzing around before he died. Maybe after he regenerates it might make a difference, but until then, it's pointless. And then there's the fact that anyone pre-2011 in the entire universe won't even know he should be dead.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

One thing I don't get is the idea that it's helpful for the Doctor that everyone thinks he's dead. Why, how on earth does that help? Most of the time, anyone who meets him has no idea who he is, and anyone who does recognise him will just figure that it's a younger version of him from whizzing around before he died. Maybe after he regenerates it might make a difference, but until then, it's pointless. And then there's the fact that anyone pre-2011 in the entire universe won't even know he should be dead.

This. Is doesn't make sense to me, also the police box is still a red light to Daleks and Cybermen and whatnot. Edited by Venomcus
silenceofnest.jpg

Maybe it's because the event was a fixed point, as he always said; it had to happen. However, I do wonder how he'll have a smaller presence, after going off saving the worlds time and time again. =P

Just finished watching the last episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures. My goodness, Sladen's acting was absolutely brilliant, the plot was light-hearted and family-based, and the ending was perfect. If only cancer hasn't taken her away. :'( It makes me wonder why Sarah Jane is being neglected by The Doctor back in Doctor Who. A lot of SJA episodes could be DW episodes, and that's definitely the case for this last episode. (It makes for a pretty good one, too.) You could switch Sarah Jane with The Doctor and back again and there probably wouldn't be much of a difference. - Bioran

Edited by Bioran23

TNW-Promo.png

whatsnew-tech.jpgwhatsnew-smsg.jpg

It makes me wonder why Sarah Jane is being neglected by The Doctor back in Doctor Who. A lot of SJA episodes could be DW episodes, and that's definitely the case for this last episode. (It makes for a pretty good one, too.) You could switch Sarah Jane with The Doctor and back again and there probably wouldn't be much of a difference.

My guess is that the Doctor knows she's happy in her life right now and so leaves her be most of the time.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Moffat tied this in brilliantly! From series 2 episode The Girl in the Fireplace when it was implied there was more to the question "Doctor who?" then series 4's Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead and now this! Amazing tie-in. Makes you wonder if he planned it since 2006 or if he just thought of it as a coincidence XD. Series 6 is my favorite season, the Eleventh Doctor my favorite Doctor and Amy, Rory and River my favorite companions. I've seen classic series season 1's An Unearthly Child part 1, the 1996 movie and all modern series episodes (including mini-episodes and Christmas specials) except series 1's The Unquiet Dead, The Long Games and Father's Day. I haven't seen the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 6th Doctors in an episode yet. Of the ones I have seen, this is my scale from best to worst:1-Matt Smith2-David Tennat3-Paul McGann4-Peter Davison5-Sylvester McCoy6-William Hartnell7-Christopher EccelstonThe only classic series companions i've seen are Barbara Wright, Ian Chesterson, Susan Foreman and Sarah Jane Smith. Here's my companion scale from best to worst:1-Amy Pond2-Rory Williams3-River Song4-Donna Noble5-Rose Tyler6-Martha Jones7-Sarah Jane Smith8-Mickey Smith9-Jackie Tyler10-Jack Harkness11-Astrid Peth12-Grace Holloway13-Adelaide Brooke14-Abigail Pettigrew15-Kazran Sardick16-Susan Foreman17-Barbara Wright18-Ian Chesterson19-Lynda Moss20-Adam Mitchell

Oooh, are we making lists of favourites now? Must join in! Ok then. Favourite Doctors:1. Jon Pertwee2. Peter Davison3. Tom Baker4. Matt Smith5. Patrick Troughton6. Christopher Eccleston7. Paul McGann8. David Tennant9. William Hartnell10. Colin Baker11. Sylvester McCoy Companions (proper multi-story companions from 3rd Doctor onwards. As in, TV companions who travelled with the Doctor for a season or more):1. Romana (1>2)2. Donna Noble3. Jo Grant4. Rory Williams5. Leela6. K97. Amy Pond8. Harry Sullivan9. Sarah Jane Smith10. Liz Shaw11. Turlough12. Nyssa13. Tegan Jovanka14. Peri Brown15. Adric16. Rose Tyler17. Martha Jones18. Ace19. Melanie Bush I didn't mention Grace Holloway because she only appeared in the film, and I am not subjecting myself to that again just to form some kind of opinion of her. Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart is one of my favourite characters in Doctor Who, but I don't count him as a companion since it's more fair to say the Doctor became part of his life rather than vice versa. River Song I also did not mention since she appears erratically and is not a travelling companion in the same vein as the others. That was fun! Let's do it again sometime. :D

Banner 2.png