Akaku Nuva

In MoL, Kopaka uses his Akaku Nuva to examine Ko-Koro. The clip in the movie is from his perspective, behind the mask. However, the mask labels everything in the image, which can be seen here. Is this canon that the Akaku Nuva labels viewed objects? Or is this just one of the movie's inconsistencies?

It doesn't have to be the Akaku's power - it could just be a unique feature of the teloscopic lens on Kopaka's mask. We did see that sort of "label viewing" in the Web of Shodows movie with Nuju Hordika also, which leads me to believe that it's a function of that, although that connection is sketchy because Nuju was a Hordika at the time and thus not in possession of his teloscopic lense. Mostly I think the labels are there to emphasize the fact that the character involved has enhanced vision. It's likely an allusion to our computer vision with all the readouts of data - after all, these guys are part robotic. It's hard to show that a character is getting more than normal from a scene in that short a picture without showing some sort of text - just seeing the text there conveys the "There is more info gotten by Kopaka than what we are showing here" vibe.

If you read the text in that particular scene, you can see names of three Rahi: Tarakava, Nui-Rama and Ussal Crab. Since none of them are in that scene, I'd call it an inconsistency.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I wouldn't call it an inconsistency; simply artistic license, and probably noncanon. I've never seen confirmation that it was canon, anyways.But that might be because this is just one example of how a lot of you guys are lately asking excellent questions the rest of us apparently didn't think to ask back in the old days when Greg was active to answer them. :P If only we'd thought of it before... or maybe somebody did where I happened not to look. :shrugs: It's a good sign for discussion value here, in any event. ^_^fisher's theory makes sense, though. Recently in another topic I mentioned the possibility of organizing a "canon-reconciling" fanon for details like that, and I'd count that as a good candidate if we ever do it.

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

If you read the text in that particular scene, you can see names of three Rahi: Tarakava, Nui-Rama and Ussal Crab. Since none of them are in that scene, I'd call it an inconsistency.

Maybe that would be what went went through Kopaka's head at the time to try to identify what he was seeing? It's not like he had seen Rahkshi before. Edited by fishers64

//Grid_Entry Active... Topic entered--Notice it does say PC Tarakava, PC Nui-Rama, PC Ussal Crab.-It could very well be the mask is simply identifying Likely canditates of the attack (a variation of the above answer)-The image after all shows outer Ko-Koro being all... broken... Kopaka's robotic mind could think "These rahi are likely to do it"--Or the mask itself is doing that.-If a snake came in and ate all your cheese (regardless of whether their diet), and you didnt know, would you assume that a Snake did it, or a-mouse?-Maybe youve never seen a snake before, so how could you assume that-Thats basically what i assume is going on here.-My second answer is basically the same as above. the Bionicle language is translated into english for our convenience. In the movie, it could be-a way of showing us what Kopaka sees. maybe thats not how they see, maybe they have some more bionicle-ish way of seeing. Who are you to-say Aliens see the same as us. there are some bugs that see in UV. maybe Toa see in some incomprehensible way, and that what you see in the -image is simply a representation of how they see--//End of Line.Encom International ©

Edited by Astrotorical

axonn, trying to excape my signature

Untitled-2.gif

I think the labeling and identifying could easily be a trait shared by masks with telescopic lenses. Its acts as a enhanced HUD for their vision, they are robots after all, and ko-matoran in particular like to chronicle and record things,

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Well, it seems that this started a little more discussion that I expected.Playing off of what a few people have said and adding a bit of my own, it could be that Kopaka's mechanical mind was processing and interpreting the incoming data from his mask, and it simply was displayed in his view.However, the red tinge to the image is a little weird…

However, the red tinge to the image is a little weird…

I suspect that this is a deficiency upon which this image was acquired. I recall that this particular scene in the movie lacked this particular tinge. Either that, or the tinge was applied to bring out the details like the letters and the scope marks, or it's red because the Akaku is registering an incoming attack.

Like mentioned above, the writing says "PC" before each rahi name. I always thought that when the HUD of the Akaku Nuva lens saw the damage to Ko-koro it was saying the Possible Causes of that damage, so it said the damage could have been caused by those three rahi. It could just be artistic licence, but I like to think the telescoping lens in the Akaku Nuva has a heads up display and that is what we saw in MoL.:kakamanu: :t: :m_p: :n: :kakamanu:

Banner.jpeg

I'd say that Astrotorical is probably right in terms of the "how aliens see" idea. What Nuju and Kopaka saw in the movies are the only POV shots I think we've ever had from anything. We'd need to see what someone without an eyepiece had seen. Anyone think of a canon example where a non-eyescope Toa's point of view was shown?

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

In those cases we've seen the character look at something, then the camera angle changes to view that scene (though not really from their first-person perspective). Given that the Akaku can show X-Ray and thermal vision and stuff, I find it more likely that it was this that caused the tinge in the image and the HUD coming from the lens. After all, no other Toa have eyepieces like that, and for some reason I doubt they go around with HUDs inside their head. What would the point be if their brain can just give them that info directly without visuals?Remember that despite what Terminator might have shown us, true robot AI thinking is not visual, it's just a data stream. If a Toa can list "Possible Causes (or whatever it stood for) like that, it would be done without visuals in their field of view. So for a Toa to have a HUD in their eye would make no sense, but having it as a feature of the mask would.

Edited by Katuko

So he has some kind of computer database in his mask? Cool, but there's no way that's canon. The Nuju deal in WoS was totally non-cannon, though, even without the labeling.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.