Climate Research Robot

Paleo

The Robot's full name is:

CLIDE

CLimate Ice Drilling Exploration

A robot sent to the Arctic to collect ice core samples for Climate Change research.

Equipped with an ice core sampler.

arctic_researcher_mainpic.jpg

Special thanks to Sumiki (right know he's Slender Man for a staff fad) for his help and support.

There ya go.

Edited by Paleo

@Chaos Dralcax: The brown is meant to look like leather and make the robot resemble a human explorer. Your right about the mass being concentrated on the bicep on the left arm, but I can't see the same on the right. The left arm is meant to look like the other, but with the hand removed and replaced by an ice core sampler. As for rotating the arm joints, it destroys a lot of movement on this guy. It's oriented that way to allow the lower arms to rotate, which in turn allows the hand to be facing different directions.

As for rotating the arm joints, it destroys a lot of movement on this guy. It's oriented that way to allow the lower arms to rotate, which in turn allows the hand to be facing different directions.

No, not what I meant. You redistribute the bulk to the side of the arm, which will allow for increased shoulder movement as well as keeping the arm movement, with that slight modification. You remove the elbow socket along with the forearms, reattach them after rotating 90 degrees (You may have to remove some parts). After you modify it, you can move the arms back, and then the biceps are relocated to the sides of the arm, while the forearm and socket are exactly the same.EDIT: Let me show you.lddscreenshot3.png Edited by Chaos Dralcax

aouROFb.png

I don't really have any constructive criticism on this robot of yours, and that's because I'm very impressed by it. It reminds me a tiny bit of ED-209 from Robocop (minus the weaponry), and ATLAS and P-body from Portal 2. The idea that we could build machines like this to explore the arctic and collect research (on climate changes, polar ice levels, etc.) in the vein of preexisting robots like ASIMO that are essentially autonomous just seems so cool. I'm getting off topic though.The arms each serve a separate purpose, and both are perfect fits for your MOC. I could say the same about the legs too, but I really like the upper body the best. From what I can see, I'm almost certain your research bot can turn its upper body, or at least look down. Either way, the single eye is a cool feature, as well as the antenna. Overall, it's an interesting MOC, and I like it. Great job.-Ced

This is amazing. The head/body is very well built with that eye in the center. I have nothing against the arms being the way they are, and they hold that awesome "ice core sampler". The colours are very nice and both the arms and legs are really well built. The body is really really well built and the antenae ads to the general great look. 10/10

517px-Clone_Wars_-_Season_5_Trailer_2_-_

*Gasps* ... wow. This is truly ingenious. First of all, the color scheme is unexpected, but amazing. It works extraordinarily well. And the designs, arms, legs, torso ... magnificent. The use of the Indiana Jones bags (as they appear to be) as kneecaps is just about the greatest thing I've seen a MOCist do, ever. The use of a HF 2.0 head piece for the lower torso armor is equally incredible. Every part of this MOC is something I would have never considered.The one thing that could use improvement is coloring. The Technic connector with the perpendicular pin hole on the right arm ought to be grey, as having the regular connector on the left arm grey throws off the balance. The same happens with the 2 x 2 circular sliding plates on the left arm. They ought to be white, as those on the knees are, and there is no other white on the lower left arm to balance that on the right. The same can be said for black on the lower left arm. Try replacing those system pieces and switching out some grey Technic for black (those 1 x 2 liftarms should be black anyway, since those on the feet are). I try, as best I can, to have all like pieces be the same color. It helps with the unity of the MOC. Finally, the back seems a bit exposed and a bit black. Compared with the front, the back looks very out of place. I suggest more armor, replacement of black pieces with white/grey ones, etc. Overall, extraordinary MOC.a_peace.png

15037057692_2fb1ce338a_t.jpg     15034366641_d827682ab5_m.jpg     15037424595_cf284dac70_t.jpg

Toa Gali Nuva

@Chaos Dralcax: The design you propose would make the shoulders way too wide. I actually tried it when I was designing the arms.@Cederak: My original idea was to make a robot that, as I said earlier, looked like a modern robot with brown parts that would look like leather on a human explorer. @Ehlekdude: Thanks!@Fsnorglepuff: The lower left arm (ice core sampler) was meant to look like someone had simply removed the lower arm and replaced it with the ice core sampler. I tried to make it all grey so that it would look somewhat separate from the rest of the MOC. As for the back, in hindsight, it probably should have covered it with a least another HF plate like the ones on the legs (I don't have one anywhere near me right now so I can't tell you the official number).

Oo wow, you've definitely improved since I last saw your stuff! That's a really neat bot you've got there. I really like the clean colour scheme. The legs are quite superb: the knee joints look great. Not really too keen on the Shoulder connections, but I'm not sure how you could fix that :( Overall a truly impressive MOC, Paleo. I look forward to seeing more stuff from you :)-FtC

I have an old Flickr account here

Previously Feefeeri/Felix the Cat

I MOC sometimes

@FeeFee (seriously Felix, why'd you change your name? I barely recognized you): What was the last thing you saw? My first major improvement was with my "Yellow Mech", which was a birthday present to Brickeens. The shoulder connections were really hard to work with, because attaching the any other way would require ruining the torso.

Looking good http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.pngNow, for the break down. The torso, I must say is impressive. I've tried it and could not figure out how to work it, but you seem to have found a way :P Only 2 things that are a bit off to me. The crotch armor leaves a hole, and the back. On the back, I would add one of those pieces with the axle on the top and pin on the bottom on the side (you get that, right?) then adding one of these. I see it perfectly possible with the open axle hole up there below the kakama. The legs seem fine, and great use of the purses satchels! The feet however do seem a bit small/flat. I would recommend replacing those with something with more of a grip (e.g. claw-like pieces), seeing as he'll be in the arctic. The arms are nice, though the only grip I have is on the part of his arm behind the "Ice Core Sampler". It's very skinny and doesn't look like it could support such a gun... thing.Of course, those are the few bad things, and I probably wrote too much. But then again if I wrote "Cool" it would be spam :P Great work though!

doom4revalt.png

@FeeFee (seriously Felix, why'd you change your name? I barely recognized you): What was the last thing you saw? My first major improvement was with my "Yellow Mech", which was a birthday present to Brickeens. The shoulder connections were really hard to work with, because attaching the any other way would require ruining the torso.

Oh yeah, I think that was the last one I saw. I never seemed to remember you having some of the better MOCs in the BBC... guess I'm mistaken :) Yeah, I kinda figured that would be the case with the shoulders. I myself have had a few MOCs with this problem (most notably iCU). And as for the name change, well quite a few people call me FeeFee, so it's kinda suitable if you ask me ;)-FtC

I have an old Flickr account here

Previously Feefeeri/Felix the Cat

I MOC sometimes

@Diaks: Yep, it get what your saying. I'll try that when I get some time. Kinda an odd schedule nowadays. As for the crotch armor, it's a necessary sacrifice. The HF 2.0 head is attached with a flex-tube and then folded back so the ear-ish holes fit around the axle. It's then pinched in place with the light-grey half-stud buffers.@Felix: Yeah, the first MOCs I posted here weren't that good at all, and I'm not even going to talk about the photography.@toatitan: Thanks!

Edited by Paleo

I have to say, I love it. The white-on-brown works great in my opinion. I also love the...unorthodox use of Indiana Jone's satchel! I also feel like the odd design of the biceps give it a rather old-age robotics feel. Not sure how to describe it. Maybe steampunk-y? Well, whatever you want to call it, great job regardless!

@Jinklemeister: I'm surprised that people are pointing out the satchel pieces. They were a spur of the moment idea. As for the general feel, I decided when talking to Sumiki that it was "Portal-punk". However, I don't feel I've made a Portal OR Steampunk MOC.

Portal-punk does sound about right. It's pretty fluid for the most part, but with some rough spots, which makes more aesthetically pleasing, at least that's what I think.

Where are the rough spots? I was trying to make this sleeker, so any insights would be useful.

I really love the build for this MOC, looks unique to me, you really use those HF body armor well, it really fits well with the eye, and that arms connection is really good too, great job :)Btw i'm not really sure what's on his left hand supposed to be, but from my understanding, it looks like a big gun, why would a climate researcher robot need a gun ? :P

This. Is. Awesome.I love the seamless melding of all sorts of different Lego construction media. HF, Bionicle, System: they're all there and the fit together with no indication they were originally from different product lines. I actually liked the brown, but I may be outnumbered on that opinion. I think Jinklemeister is the only person I see backing that opinion. Every body part looks deliberate and intentional: even structures you were forced to use by necessity still fit in and appeared cohesive. The "bicep anomaly" people keep pointing out is a bit distracting, but there are so many sleek and fluid features that my eyes wander off from the 'biceps' and on to the rest of this MOC. And you even made a sample ice core out of System studs! This is great.

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.

Wow, Paleo, this is amazing. I love its overall look. Great shape and use of HF parts and Kakama. My only complain is that it'd need more brown instead of black/grey. This is an awesome color scheme. The ice core is cool too. Keep MOCing!

Onewa7, Encountering Protodermis! I accept PBZP requests! If you want one, PM me the details...

PBZPs in the Archives: A B C C F H K L N P P S T
New Forums PBZPs: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T T U V W X Y Z

If a letter is already taken, I can always do a PZBP, I'll just add another to the list. Blue= done, Red= taken and in progress,

Green= coming soon.
------------
Also check My Bshelf

My comedy: Bionicle Adventures. Part 1 in the Archives. Part 2 here. I accept guest stars requests. Chapter 12 is up!