Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

I think the next step is to improve bot responses to attacks. its why rahkshi of hunger and chameleon are so overpowered.

A proper state-based AI as opposed to the current reactive AI would be a vast improvement, but it requires me writing brand new AI code. I got the entire concept in my head, but putting it into functional code is always the tricky part.

If your playing games with friends you should make a lets play on *VIDEO WEBSITE ADDRESS WITHELD*

Maybe. I tend to not care so much about recording my mediocre game session, though maybe I could make some reel with funny music, I dunno.Also: "you're" ;D

Glad you liked it, I've had goofy grin since your response as well. To be honest I was kinda worried I didn't actually put your name on it, stupid oversight on my part.

If anything you should put your signature on it. :)

Really? I wouldn't have thought so... well I'll try.

It depends on the curve, of course. Some curves may look pixelated or unnatural in very small scale, while others work fine. Anti-aliasing can help, but so far there has barely been any anti-aliasing used on Rayg sprites.

You probably answered this once, but when can we expect Skakdi or Vortixx?

I think like he said Skakdi. Though I'm not sure.
Pretty sure that TNTVWAO was asking when we would be seeing them implemented. I assume it'll be some time after the total switch to the new engine is complete.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

No, I meant both.

Dem ninjas...

Oh, good, I felt really <Insert word that would probably end up being changed to 'cool dude' by BZP filter (no not a swear word)/> there.

Pretty sure that TNTVWAO was asking when we would be seeing them implemented. I assume it'll be some time after the total switch to the new engine is complete.

It will likely be sometime during the switch, as I aim to make everything more open for easier change, and testing with different character types would be a natural step to take.

One notable advantage to the new Lightning: it hard counters any stealth characters. :P

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

Whoa thats awesome hey in later modes will there be a color setting for in mutiplayer if you have two kopakas can you customize the colors so ones a red kopaka and the others a blue and black oneAnd now the question of a life time (crosses fingers).....is it a lot of money?

Edited by TAHU2014

:voyanui:

Whoa thats awesome hey in later modes will there be a color setting for in mutiplayer if you have two kopakas can you customize the colors so ones a red kopaka and the others a blue and black oneAnd now the question of a life time (crosses fingers).....is it a lot of money?

I would assume this would always be free. I think Katuko said that a couple pages back, but I'm not sure.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

I would assume this would always be free. I think Katuko said that a couple pages back, but I'm not sure.
K thx

The downloading's always been free for a looooooooong time. (the first I downloaded was 7.0, I think)

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

Whoa thats awesome hey in later modes will there be a color setting for in mutiplayer if you have two kopakas can you customize the colors so ones a red kopaka and the others a blue and black one And now the question of a life time (crosses fingers).....is it a lot of money?

I will never charge any money for this game. Even if I wanted toput a prize on it, I would be unable to do so due to legal issues. BIONICLE is not my concept, and fan-games of anything can not be sold for money. I don't have a big enough fanbase to risk most of it leaving because they suddenly have to pay, either.The game will always be 100% free to download and play.About colors: Yes, I plan to let you choose specific enemies to fight instead of the randomized ones we have now; or if you turn on a setting for "randomize my opponents" I will also include one to randomize their colors.I'm thinking of making an on/off switch for "canon mode" too. "Canon mode" on: Every character is restricted to a color palette based on the official element/power colors. With an example like fire, the primary color choices might be shades of red/orange, with the secondary color choices red/orange/yellow/black and similar.By default it would be off, and that would be like it is now: You can choose whatever color you'd like.I've been toying with the idea of making "non-canon mode" stretch into "very much non-canon mode", where you can choose whatever mask shape you want for whatever mask power, and maybe also recolor your elemental attacks (in case you want blue fire or something).I'd include settings to make everyone happy. Only question is how to handle it in multiplayer; but I'm thinking it would be local to each player. So if I play "non-canon" with a yellow Toa of Lightning shooting red bolts, on your "canon" screen it would show as regular Toa of Lightning colors.For the purpose of making people flow between happy/semi-happy instead of happy/not happy, I'm thinking you might also be able to switch the character creator between these two modes. Thus, you could make your character exactly as you want it, and then include an approximated "canon" version that others would see depending on visual modes. Both versions could be saved in the character file with minimal effort, as it's just a few extra lines of color/mask information.Of course, come actual multiplayer I'd also have to start encrypting the files, I think, to prevent tampering. I'd also have to include a check upon connection and periodically during a match to ensure that no character has stats beyond the allowed limit.To compensate (because it is pretty fun to ramp up the stats via file editing), I'd add more settings to allow such mold-breaking stats in single-player. :) Edited by Katuko

Whoa thats awesome hey in later modes will there be a color setting for in mutiplayer if you have two kopakas can you customize the colors so ones a red kopaka and the others a blue and black one And now the question of a life time (crosses fingers).....is it a lot of money?

I will never charge any money for this game. Even if I wanted toput a prize on it, I would be unable to do so due to legal issues. BIONICLE is not my concept, and fan-games of anything can not be sold for money. I don't have a big enough fanbase to risk most of it leaving because they suddenly have to pay, either.The game will always be 100% free to download and play.About colors: Yes, I plan to let you choose specific enemies to fight instead of the randomized ones we have now; or if you turn on a setting for "randomize my opponents" I will also include one to randomize their colors.I'm thinking of making an on/off switch for "canon mode" too. "Canon mode" on: Every character is restricted to a color palette based on the official element/power colors. With an example like fire, the primary color choices might be shades of red/orange, with the secondary color choices red/orange/yellow/black and similar.By default it would be off, and that would be like it is now: You can choose whatever color you'd like.I've been toying with the idea of making "non-canon mode" stretch into "very much non-canon mode", where you can choose whatever mask shape you want for whatever mask power, and maybe also recolor your elemental attacks (in case you want blue fire or something).I'd include settings to make everyone happy. Only question is how to handle it in multiplayer; but I'm thinking it would be local to each player. So if I play "non-canon" with a yellow Toa of Lightning shooting red bolts, on your "canon" screen it would show as regular Toa of Lightning colors.For the purpose of making people flow between happy/semi-happy instead of happy/not happy, I'm thinking you might also be able to switch the character creator between these two modes. Thus, you could make your character exactly as you want it, and then include an approximated "canon" version that others would see depending on visual modes. Both versions could be saved in the character file with minimal effort, as it's just a few extra lines of color/mask information.Of course, come actual multiplayer I'd also have to start encrypting the files, I think, to prevent tampering. I'd also have to include a check upon connection and periodically during a match to ensure that no character has stats beyond the allowed limit.To compensate (because it is pretty fun to ramp up the stats via file editing), I'd add more settings to allow such mold-breaking stats in single-player. :)

thanks downloading now

I will never charge any money for this game. Even if I wanted toput a prize on it, I would be unable to do so due to legal issues. BIONICLE is not my concept, and fan-games of anything can not be sold for money. I don't have a big enough fanbase to risk most of it leaving because they suddenly have to pay, either.The game will always be 100% free to download and play.About colors: Yes, I plan to let you choose specific enemies to fight instead of the randomized ones we have now; or if you turn on a setting for "randomize my opponents" I will also include one to randomize their colors.I'm thinking of making an on/off switch for "canon mode" too. "Canon mode" on: Every character is restricted to a color palette based on the official element/power colors. With an example like fire, the primary color choices might be shades of red/orange, with the secondary color choices red/orange/yellow/black and similar.By default it would be off, and that would be like it is now: You can choose whatever color you'd like.I've been toying with the idea of making "non-canon mode" stretch into "very much non-canon mode", where you can choose whatever mask shape you want for whatever mask power, and maybe also recolor your elemental attacks (in case you want blue fire or something).I'd include settings to make everyone happy. Only question is how to handle it in multiplayer; but I'm thinking it would be local to each player. So if I play "non-canon" with a yellow Toa of Lightning shooting red bolts, on your "canon" screen it would show as regular Toa of Lightning colors.For the purpose of making people flow between happy/semi-happy instead of happy/not happy, I'm thinking you might also be able to switch the character creator between these two modes. Thus, you could make your character exactly as you want it, and then include an approximated "canon" version that others would see depending on visual modes. Both versions could be saved in the character file with minimal effort, as it's just a few extra lines of color/mask information.Of course, come actual multiplayer I'd also have to start encrypting the files, I think, to prevent tampering. I'd also have to include a check upon connection and periodically during a match to ensure that no character has stats beyond the allowed limit.To compensate (because it is pretty fun to ramp up the stats via file editing), I'd add more settings to allow such mold-breaking stats in single-player. :)

Man, we should put "It's 100% Free" as the first few words on the main post....

Hey Katuko, so I hear you could use some help with sprites...

Might I offer to contribute?

As sort of proof of compatance here's something I've been working on for a few days: Link

I'd like to continue on the visorak but it you want something else specific I'll get on it.

If you want. ;)

Link to my comic :D

To anyone contacting me, I'm of to Uni soon so I might take time to respond.

As sort of proof of compatance here's something I've been working on for a few days: Link

<3Looks like it's coming along nicely.

I'd like to continue on the visorak but it you want something else specific I'll get on it. If you want. ;)

Visorak would be pretty simple enemies to include, so just keep going on those if that's what you feel like right now. I have a blog post with a short list of what needs to be done, but new sprites of Rahi/other stuff is always nice to have; not just for my game.For sprites, I'd really love to have more basic Rahkshi poses. I've made some punching animation and such by myself, but I'm kinda bad at devoting time to make new poses such as walk/run cycles and "hurt" poses. Right now Rahkshi use the same sprite for jumping, flying and getting hurt. Toa, on the other hand, have a jump pose, a flight pose that is WIP, plus the "fall on back" animation.I'd love to have such a "falling down" animation on Rahkshi, as well as a face-plant animation for both of them (for when you get hit in the back). A pose where they look hurt but not falling could also be useful. Sure, I might use ragdolls eventually for corpses, but before a player is dead they need less limp sprite poses. :PThere's also Nuva armor and other types of armor I'll end up adding which needs to be fitted to animated poses. Rahkshi don't have fitted armor at all yet, just the regular Toa sprites which look too small and awkward. Eventual Skakdi and Vortixx, even more fitting work. Any new poses I've made are also just for Toa Mata and Rahkshi sprites. Eventually I'll need to adapt them for Metru bodies and such as well, when those get added.There is a lack of shield variations. I have Kopaka's shields, and Nuparu's Protosteel Shield, as well as a WIP Rhotuka shield. More shields would be nice to have, such as one with the Ta-Koro guard emblem (I have a flat-shaded one) and some other stuff.Staff/spear poses. My my, forgot about those. I'll need to look over what I need again and update the list. :P

when i do load charecter it says there is no charecter in that name

Hm, when the character is saved it should have been placed in the folder you pick from the list. When you go to load a character, you need to pick that file on your computer. The pop-up should already have navigated to the right folder, but if not you will need to do it manually.If you can't see the file in the list, then please check the folder out of the game to see if there is a file of the appropriate name there. Can you see any of the pre-saved characters such as Tahu, by the way?I realize that I should make an illustrated FAQ to show things such as this, because folder structure seems to be one of the things most people have trouble with. In the future I will change the character listing to show in-game and not force you to use a pop-up, though, as that looks more professional and is easier for people to grasp.I've already done some testing with this feature, so it'll be implemented in the new engine. I'll need to re-organize the menus again, I think. :P Edited by Katuko

To compensate (because it is pretty fun to ramp up the stats via file editing), I'd add more settings to allow such mold-breaking stats in single-player. :)

Indeed it is. I made a character named Makuta and gave him like 10k of every stat except dex, which was like 50. It's fun killing everything in one hit and running faster than your projectiles.

Edited by Arzaki

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

Hm, when the character is saved it should have been placed in the folder you pick from the list. When you go to load a character, you need to pick that file on your computer. The pop-up should already have navigated to the right folder, but if not you will need to do it manually.If you can't see the file in the list, then please check the folder out of the game to see if there is a file of the appropriate name there. Can you see any of the pre-saved characters such as Tahu, by the way?I realize that I should make an illustrated FAQ to show things such as this, because folder structure seems to be one of the things most people have trouble with. In the future I will change the character listing to show in-game and not force you to use a pop-up, though, as that looks more professional and is easier for people to grasp.I've already done some testing with this feature, so it'll be implemented in the new engine. I'll need to re-organize the menus again, I think. :P

k thanks hey will there be voya metru and mahri nui worlds and eneiems?

when i load otheer pre done charecters it shows a pure black toa thats very weak for the ones ive done that like i sayed is pre done via you

Edited by TAHU2014

Hm, when the character is saved it should have been placed in the folder you pick from the list. When you go to load a character, you need to pick that file on your computer. The pop-up should already have navigated to the right folder, but if not you will need to do it manually.If you can't see the file in the list, then please check the folder out of the game to see if there is a file of the appropriate name there. Can you see any of the pre-saved characters such as Tahu, by the way?I realize that I should make an illustrated FAQ to show things such as this, because folder structure seems to be one of the things most people have trouble with. In the future I will change the character listing to show in-game and not force you to use a pop-up, though, as that looks more professional and is easier for people to grasp.I've already done some testing with this feature, so it'll be implemented in the new engine. I'll need to re-organize the menus again, I think. :P

k thanks hey will there be voya metru and mahri nui worlds and eneiems?

when i load otheer pre done charecters it shows a pure black toa thats very weak for the ones ive done that like i sayed is pre done via you

I sketched out a Mahri Nui map for Katuko, so there might be.

And that happened to me before. You need to redownload the game and extract it, then play the extracted version.

k thanks hey will there be voya metru and mahri nui worlds and eneiems?when i load otheer pre done charecters it shows a pure black toa thats very weak for the ones ive done that like i sayed is pre done via you

Sounds like the DLL that handles character files isn't being accessed. Have you unpacked every file from the ZIP folder you downloaded? Just right-click and choose "unpack", "extract", or something like that. You should then get a regular folder with the uncompressed game files. If you can see the proper icon on the game file, that's one sign it has been unpacked correctly.Make sure not to move any files from this folder. If you wish to move the game somewhere you should make a shortcut to it and move that instead.I hope to include maps from many places in the Matoran Universe; they just take a while to create. :)

So, could anyone with GIMP possibly make a map for your game?

You can use whatever program you prefer; I only care about the end result. ;) If you make a full-fledged map I get real happy, while a sketch is fine for making me do the work later.If you do make an actual map, it'd be good to split the various elements into files while also providing the full map view as one file. For example, Ta-Koro would currently consist of platforms, wall, scaffolding, etc... but not all compiled into one image except for preview. Loading a giant image in-game would be insanity. :P

So, could I do stuff like that, but in layers in the same file, or does it have to be in separate files? Also, would I need to include teleport pads and spawn stations to the map myself, or is there a special code you would have to do yourself, and I put it in the preview so you know where to put it?

GIMP can export to PSD format, which is for Photoshop. If you export to this format, I can open it, but any layer groups you have made will be flattened to a single layer. Thus, make sure that you use single, visible layers for the finished stuff you want exported to PSD.Otherwise, I'd like one big image of the entire map as it should look, and then separate files for the individual objects. Ground/terrain as one, background elements like trees/rocks as their own files, etc. For stuff I already have, such as teleporters, just make a mark of where they should be. They are objects in my game project file, and thus should not be included as part of the background graphics.If you have any ideas for map elements I have not programmed yet, you may include notes about them as well. This could be something like a geyser taking the place of gravity jump pads, mud or quicksand that slows you down, periodic bursts of lightning from damaged machinery, etc. Edited by Katuko

My game can process however much your computers can handle. The main restrictions lie in the amount of code running, which is why player characters and AI lags so much more than other things. For reference, though, Karda Nui in full is roughly 5200 pixels wide and 3600 pixels tall. The Codrex is 520 pixels in both directions, and the small fort on the ice map is about the same width. Mangaia is 3000 × 1000 pixels.A character is about 45 pixels tall, with Exo-Toa about 75. Any tunnels or low ceilings should be at least 50 pixels tall to ensure that the character doesn't get stuck somehow. Add a bit more if the ground is uneven, so about 60 pixels room then.Brickshelf cannot handle the PSD format (or most other special formats, for that matter) unless you ZIP the files first. If there is a problem, you can send uncompressed files to me via e-mail or Skype (PM me about this), but a ZIP would be the best solution even then.

Wow, 13.0 is great. The new boss fights are especially cool.

However, upon opening it (or, as it turns out, any older version) it says "No sound device detected. Sounds may not play." And sure enough, 99% of the time, sounds do not play. If I have sounds turned on, the game also lags to ridiculous levels. If I have sounds off, it plays fine. It's especially odd as this happens for old versions of the game as well, even though as of a few days ago no such error occurred.

For the most part, my earlier tier list seems to be in effect still (I'll have to play lightning more, though, to see how it does now). It is especially noticeable fighting bosses: as a Laser Vision Rahkshi, beating Takanuva is nearly impossible, and AIs probably did more damage than I did; as a Fragmentation Rahkshi, it was difficult but doable after several deaths; as a Hunger Rahkshi, it was quick and easy, and I only died once because a Toa of Ice insisted on doing a freeze-stab-freeze-stab combo that I couldn't do anything about due to being frozen/stunned the entire time.

[No signature until I think of something witty]

In the meantime, why not visit my blog?

Good, 'cuz I'm thinking about doing the Protodermis Reclamation Yard.

That would be pretty awesome.

However, upon opening it (or, as it turns out, any older version) it says "No sound device detected. Sounds may not play." And sure enough, 99% of the time, sounds do not play. If I have sounds turned on, the game also lags to ridiculous levels. If I have sounds off, it plays fine. It's especially odd as this happens for old versions of the game as well, even though as of a few days ago no such error occurred.

It's a computer problem, I am afraid. The message would appear when no speakers or headphones are active on the sound card. Right-click your speaker icon and go to Playback Devices. There you should be able to activate and deactivate speakers and sound card functions.Do you hear any sound elsewhere on your computer? Does any other games you play have problems? I have not changed anything about my game except adding a few more sound effects and music files. The audio engine itself is the same as it has been.

For the most part, my earlier tier list seems to be in effect still (I'll have to play lightning more, though, to see how it does now). It is especially noticeable fighting bosses: as a Laser Vision Rahkshi, beating Takanuva is nearly impossible, and AIs probably did more damage than I did; as a Fragmentation Rahkshi, it was difficult but doable after several deaths; as a Hunger Rahkshi, it was quick and easy, and I only died once because a Toa of Ice insisted on doing a freeze-stab-freeze-stab combo that I couldn't do anything about due to being frozen/stunned the entire time.

You are right, game balance is rather off at the moment. Some powers could be effective, but since you run out of EP eventually and the bosses have so much health, even the stronger powers can have trouble. And then we have utility powers which may work great against regular foes, but do nothing to remove the few thousand HP you need to deal with. :oI recall that Team Fortress 2 has this issue on servers that experiment with health and damage multipliers. If you give the Soldier and Demoman 100% critical hits on their explosive weapons, a single shot will kill most other classes in one hit. On the other hand, while 100% crits on the Pyro's flamethrower and the Medic's syringe gun can also be devastating, they lack range and are thus defeated easily since they don't have time to get into close range anymore before the aforementioned projectiles catch up to them. Similarly, if you multiply everyone's health by a certain factor (like I am doing with my bosses) then weaker weapons get left behind. Fire may do 50 damage over time that is devastating to a character with 200 health (a 4th of their life), but barely noteworthy to one with 2000. Meanwhile, slow-firing shots with high damage work fine to put down characters with little health, but is not enough to stop those that can survive it.And finally, invisibility trumps all because the AI will not even attack someone they can't see. Revisions to both AI and power usage is in order. I have a lot on paper, and I'll soon make a blog post about AI planning. :)

And I starting sketching a fail-ish Great Furnace.

We may as well make all of Ta Metru :P

And I starting sketching a fail-ish Great Furnace.

We may as well make all of Ta Metru :P

My sketching is done! Got the ground and sky done, too! Working on a pile of masks that usable masks can fall on. I'll start on the background scenery after that. Expect a giant Coliseum in the background. I also made a better version of lava.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

I fixed the sound issue. There was another program messing with it (annoyingly hard to troubleshoot, as literally every program besides BF could play sounds fine).

Also, I noticed that while hunger drains boss enemies' health and energy, it only gives health back to the Rahkshi, not health and energy. Of course, it still only took a total of 2 deaths to beat Exo-Pyro, Takanuva, the Mata, and the Rahkshi (without player bots on), so maybe this is a good thing.

Besides a few outliers like hunger, it seems like the elements might be closer in power than I thought, so balance might not be as big an issue as I thought it was. However, one potential balance problem is ranged stun weapons. One Kanoka launcher took out over half of Takanuva's health without me having to do anything besides hold 'A' down. Throwing knives are also capable of dealing huge damage, even against boss enemies, with the opponent barely being able to respond.

[No signature until I think of something witty]

In the meantime, why not visit my blog?