Discontinued Lego Series

joev14

Hmm...what do I miss?I miss Alpha Team, Mars Mission, Knight's Kingdom, Ninja 1999, and Ninjago 2011.

Ninjago 2011 doesn't count as a discontinued. Of course they stopped releasing 2011 sets, because 2011 ended. You can say you didn't like where Ninjago went after the first year, but that's not what this topic's about. It's about themes that actually went away; otherwise people could go on and on about how they missed 1999-2004 Star Wars or other long-lasting, ongoing themes which have changed over the years.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'm amazed several people haven't already demanded BIONICLE's return in this topic. :P Joking aside, the only LEGO series I really enjoyed was indeed BIONICLE. I wasn't necessarily disappointed it ended, but I was disappointed with it's ending by far.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

I'm amazed several people haven't already demanded BIONICLE's return in this topic. :P Joking aside, the only LEGO series I really enjoyed was indeed BIONICLE. I wasn't necessarily disappointed it ended, but I was disappointed with it's ending by far.

I think there's a certain unspoken understanding that this topic excludes BIONICLE. Otherwise, it'd be in LEGO Discussion. In fact, it might technically be better there anyway, since LEGO themes have for many years encompassed more than just sets.

As I'm sure as been said a couple of times, the theme I miss most is Exo-Force. To be honest, besides Bionicle, that's really the only Lego theme I'm sad was discontinued, if only because I think that's a theme that had so much potential and could have gone so far. I miss the whole Manga style, which really suited it.As for anything else, I never cared much for any other themes. Maybe Knights Kingdom, which I never really had much interest in, besides a comedy back in the old days of BZPower. But it was nice having it around.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I do remember having a couple of old Alpha Team sets. Never was too enthusiastic about the line, but it was pretty cool at the time.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

A couple of them would be cool. Alpha Team maybe, and maybe Exo Force, but, of course, Bionicle. :lol:

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

• 4 weeks later...
Cyberslam looked cool.
Man, it was. Cyber Slam pioneered the use of technic in playable competitions, which was continued with the 2001 Rahi (as well as the Bahrag, Boxor, and to a lesser extent the Toa Mata and Toa Nuva). I love the new constraction lines that focus more on form than function, but one thing that seems to have been lost in the transition was the whole idea of the "imaginary" technic model. All technic sets these days only depict real-world vehicles, as opposed to in the old days where Technic included not only cars and construction vehicles, but also playable robots and sci-fi battle machines. Cyber-slam, the 2001 Rahi... we just don't see sets like those any more.

Cyberslam looked cool.
Oh, yeah! Cyberslam was a little before my time, but I've seen the sets in some older instruction booklets, and I have been wanting them for a while! Teal, purple, functions! Awesome combination.

I want a wooden duck! But BIONICLE is the serious one, because that's the one I was always hooked on to.
The wooden duck comment made me laugh. Thank you Fallen Fortgis. :)If Wild West came back, I think I could die happy.
Pretty much this. I didn't really appreciate the western theme back when it came out, but I've recently found a fascination with western books/movies/TV shows and general history, and think that an updated line has a lot of potential. The western themed collectible minifigures are my favorite.
BZPRPG

Exo-Force and Knights' Kingdom...those were good series. Their stories both ended...without actually ending at all. You were left with your imagination.
Knights' Kingdom technically did have an ending, but the last year's story was only told in comics in the backs of the instruction booklet, without dialogue. Shame about Exo-Force, though, especially since the sets were improving as well when the theme ended.

Exo-Force and Knights' Kingdom...those were good series. Their stories both ended...without actually ending at all. You were left with your imagination.
Knights' Kingdom technically did have an ending, but the last year's story was only told in comics in the backs of the instruction booklet, without dialogue. Shame about Exo-Force, though, especially since the sets were improving as well when the theme ended.
Correction: There was an illustrated children's storybook that told the last year's story. See here. When I first read this page, the blacksmith's identity came as quite a surprise!On a side note, this is the kind of thing I love about BZPower as a subset of the LEGO fan community. Most online LEGO fan communities didn't have an especially favorable perspective on themes like Knights' Kingdom, but naturally BIONICLE fans are looking at those sorts of themes from a very different perspective.

Mars Mission. It seemed like it had potential, but had way too short of a run. And the game was cool. I also miss Exo-Force, Orient Expedition (even though it ended not long after I got my first Bionicle set), Cyberslam (from what I saw from the back of instruction booklets).

Herp Derp

I just flipped through the posts. First and foremost is BIONICLE. I am of the opinion that HERO Factory is far inferior (similar to City > Jack Stone in that Jack Stone is totally oversimplified).Anyway, other than that...I would have loved more Adventurers. However, I am more than satisfied with Pharaoh's Quest which was quite fantastic. I would like some Jungle Adventurers or Arctic explorers.Alpha Team was quite cool and unfortunately I missed Agents. I think Agents was a very good theme in terms of the sets, which were well designed in the new style (whereas 2004 Alpha Team was still quite juniorized and could have been improved).Rock Raiders was interesting as well. Power Miners was pretty decent but I did not like the colors as much.I think that the main themes that people tend to miss are those that are from their childhood (I used to really miss Galidor).

The Legend Lives...

• 3 weeks later...

Alpha Team, The Adventurers, and the LEGO Island games were my favorites until they all ended. Then came BIONICLE for me. Now all the online games are dull, the characters flat, and the sets overly specialized. (And expensive, in comparison to past sets.) Plus, though modern LEGO games are fun, I think I liked the LEGO Island and Alpha Team games best of all. Particularly the music from Alpha Team.

How well will you die?

Alpha Team, The Adventurers, and the LEGO Island games were my favorites until they all ended. Then came BIONICLE for me. Now all the online games are dull, the characters flat, and the sets overly specialized. (And expensive, in comparison to past sets.) Plus, though modern LEGO games are fun, I think I liked the LEGO Island and Alpha Team games best of all. Particularly the music from Alpha Team.
I agree about the characters - they really lack depth and are unexplored by comics and stories. I forgot about LEGO Island, in my opinion that was one of TLC's greatest creations (within the System and Video Game categories).As for price, the sets are more expensive, however they contain more parts. A lot more parts. They're far more detailed as well. I'd like to point out that most of the 1998-2004 (around that time) were mainly built out of large, specialized pieces which took away from the variety of creations. Nowadays we have tons of parts which are very flexible and easier to use.

The Legend Lives...

I agree about the characters - they really lack depth and are unexplored by comics and stories. I forgot about LEGO Island, in my opinion that was one of TLC's greatest creations (within the System and Video Game categories).As for price, the sets are more expensive, however they contain more parts. A lot more parts. They're far more detailed as well. I'd like to point out that most of the 1998-2004 (around that time) were mainly built out of large, specialized pieces which took away from the variety of creations. Nowadays we have tons of parts which are very flexible and easier to use.
I don't know, there are so many special pieces with SNOT or no studs at all, lots of technic pieces, and far fewer that can be easily built with for me. Far fewer of your basic bricks. I remember the last non-Creator set I bought that had a decent amount of just plain old System bricks was an Orient expedition set. The last actual LEGO set I bought was the Flying Wing from Indiana Jones, and that was extremely disappointing, as half of it was just that giant wing piece. The last (good) MOC I built was built off of all large, bulky pieces, like Knight's Kingdom leg armor, XPOD lids and Racers motors. I had nowhere near the amount of standard 2x4, 2x8, etc. bricks I would have liked to work with. Maybe it's just are building styles.Of course, I suppose the T-1 Typhoon actually had more of the good ol' System bricks, but that set cost me $50 on sale, so that was rather expensive. Edited by LewaLew
How well will you die?

Not necessarily disappointed, but I was a great fan of Alpha Team and was a bit sad that it ended and was more or less replaced with the inferior Dino Attack.
Umm... Gatanui, Alpha Team was never replaced by Dino Attack; the two have next to nothing in common.

I would like to note that although Dino Attack didn't replace Alpha Team, I did find the appearances of the Dino Attack characters suspiciously similar to the Alpha Team Agents. :PAlso, now they have the really truly vastly inferior "DINO" theme.*shot by Dino fans*~

:b::i::m_o::m::a::n::c::e::r::~

"YOU'D THINK, FOR BEING A DEAD MAN, I'D BE MORE TRIUMPHANT THAN I AM."

• 3 weeks later...

I was obviously disappointed in Bionicle's end, but I wasn't happy when I discovered the end of the old "Aquanauts" line of LEGO Bricks. I really loved those sets.

The Redwall RPG; closed now
Update: RPG has migrated to another location and merged with another. Update 3/29/14 Still Alive 8+ years
Credit to Supernova Productions and Expired! for the Avatar.

Apparently I'm now Kopaka?

Not necessarily disappointed, but I was a great fan of Alpha Team and was a bit sad that it ended and was more or less replaced with the inferior Dino Attack. There were other earlier themes I greatly enjoyed as well such as Orient Expedition and Arctic, but in the case of Arctic I was still too young to follow it with dedication. But anyway, I´ve never really been as dedicated to a theme as I´ve been to BIONICLE, Ninjago or Hero Factory, and luckily two of those are still ongoing well. :)-Gata signoff.jpg
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Ninjago is discontinuing in 2013.

• 3 months later...

I was pretty disappointed when bionicle was ended, it was awesome, it had many great sets and a good storyline.But i can only see one logical reason why it was ended, we all remember GregF recently had a child with wife? Seeing that Greg needed a long term leave from work on big projects, lego takes a logical step to discontinue the line while it was doing well instead of letting the series suffer... That is if they had recruited a replacement head storywriter who's not so good at making a good story as Greg and the impact from a rookie inexperienced woth the bionicle lore would've had negative changes in story which in turn affects the theme and could have caused it it to undergo changes into really unrecognizable designs or our oldest characters would suddenly be given different names.

qs3135.jpg