Lego Cuusoo

reptiman

I supported it, too. Trouble is, Lego only has the right to produce Star Wars construction toys, not action figures, so at the moment it can't happen. but, then, LEGO and Lucasfilm might make some changes to their contract when it comes time to renew it next, so I guess it's not entirely out of the question...

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

I supported it, too. Trouble is, Lego only has the right to produce Star Wars construction toys, not action figures, so at the moment it can't happen. but, then, LEGO and Lucasfilm might make some changes to their contract when it comes time to renew it next, so I guess it's not entirely out of the question...

However, those are technically construction toys, as pretty much any Lego product falls under the category of "Contruction toys".

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

The same could be said for minifigures- however, a popular project consisting of nothing but a bucket of Star Wars minifigures has received an official comment from LEGO saying that it wouldn't be able to be produced in its current form, so I don't know...

The same could be said for minifigures- however, a popular project consisting of nothing but a bucket of Star Wars minifigures has received an official comment from LEGO saying that it wouldn't be able to be produced in its current form, so I don't know...

To be fair, minifigures basically are only composed of three pieces, plus accessories. You'd be hard-pressed to make a decent MOC using the parts of a single minifigure. Not so with the Ultrabuild proposal. It's more like a successor to the Technic Star Wars figures of yesteryear.The DC/Marvel Ultrabuild figures also got the go-ahead, which could bode well for this project, although I don't know whether those two companies have the same licensing agreements with the action figure makers as Lucasfilm does for Star Wars.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I guess it depends on whether being also an action figure would disqualify a construction toy from being produced. Not sure how the licenses work... if it was along the lines of "You are allowed to make any toy as long as it has a strong construction element to it", then we're good , but if it's "You can make construction toys but not action figures", then it's not likely to happen. That project hasn't received its Official "Congrats for 500 votes" yet, which may be a cause for concern, too.Actually, come to think of it, a lot of projects have gone without getting official recognition recently. There are currently only three projects past the 5000 mark, and only one of them has got the milestone comment. It may be the case that these projects may be difficult for LEGO to produce for whatever reason, but it would be nice if they could be more open about what the problem is.That said, the top four most-supported projects at the moment are going to present the biggest challenges to LEGO yet. The first two, Star Wars Dark Bucket and My Little Pony, are going to have licensing issues. The Motorised Tachikoma is going to present a huge technical challenge (in addition to perhaps some conflict in the source material), and the UCS Sandcrawler is just massive. It'll be interesting to see how they handle all that.

That said, the top four most-supported projects at the moment are going to present the biggest challenges to LEGO yet. The first two, Star Wars Dark Bucket and My Little Pony, are going to have licensing issues. The Motorised Tachikoma is going to present a huge technical challenge (in addition to perhaps some conflict in the source material), and the UCS Sandcrawler is just massive. It'll be interesting to see how they handle all that.

Yes, I agree. I don't see how they would be able to produce the Dark Bucket without it costing over $300.00, and I seriously doubt the My Little Pony project would be liscenced. Edited by Toa of Smooth Jazz

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

That said, the top four most-supported projects at the moment are going to present the biggest challenges to LEGO yet. The first two, Star Wars Dark Bucket and My Little Pony, are going to have licensing issues. The Motorised Tachikoma is going to present a huge technical challenge (in addition to perhaps some conflict in the source material), and the UCS Sandcrawler is just massive. It'll be interesting to see how they handle all that.

Yes, I agree. I don't see how they would be able to produce the Dark Bucket without it costing over $300.00, and I seriously doubt the My Little Pony project would be liscenced.
The Star Wars Dark Bucket doesn't really have that much of a price issue, because it won't require LEGO to make anything new, and there is little variety in the set. The problem that Alyska was trying to make is that Hasbro owns the license for articulated Star Wars figures, which is why LEGO has trouble producing Star Wars Battle Packs without a built feature in it, and how they can't do the Star Wars magnets without gluing the figures to the magnet.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Yes, I agree. I don't see how they would be able to produce the Dark Bucket without it costing over $300.00, and I seriously doubt the My Little Pony project would be liscenced.
The Star Wars Dark Bucket doesn't really have that much of a price issue, because it won't require LEGO to make anything new, and there is little variety in the set. The problem that Alyska was trying to make is that Hasbro owns the license for articulated Star Wars figures, which is why LEGO has trouble producing Star Wars Battle Packs without a built feature in it, and how they can't do the Star Wars magnets without gluing the figures to the magnet.
But couldn't Lego just include a small vehicle or something to satisfy the liscence?

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

I MISS MY BUCKET 

But couldn't Lego just include a small vehicle or something to satisfy the liscence?
Potentially, but it is still impractical. How would all those 100 minifigs fit in one small vehicle? :P

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Actually, Dark Bucket also has licensing issues. If you read the official comments from LEGO, it indicates that a bucket of minifigs qualifies as an "action figure" set. which only Hasbro has the rights to make.

There's quite a nice BIONICLE project on there that's been given the green light by the staff. http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/8380

This is the only reason I give a Karz about Cuusoo. It's not a full-on revival, but these would make some good sets. Why only Kopaka for the Toa, though?Having no story revival leaves room for the imagination, at least. Isn't that what Lego is supposed to be about?
Honestly, all of those proposed Cuusoo sets of Bionicle look absolutely terrible. Fortunately, people have had the sense not to support it.~B~
Save for the one Yon linked. It's amazing. So amazing, you will feel insane for not supporting it. Luckily, I was one of the lucky ones.Anyways, I saw the issues Dark Bucket is having. But I think if Hasbro and Lego are willing to agree over My Little Pony, then the whole "lolstarwarsactionfigures" thing might work out after all.But yes, CUUSOO has been VERY busy lately. I'm thinking of submitting a project, but there are too many ideas floating around.

My Comedies: The Krika Show (Season 1)
The Krika Show Season 2 

There's quite a nice BIONICLE project on there that's been given the green light by the staff. http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/8380

This is the only reason I give a Karz about Cuusoo. It's not a full-on revival, but these would make some good sets. Why only Kopaka for the Toa, though?Having no story revival leaves room for the imagination, at least. Isn't that what Lego is supposed to be about?
Honestly, all of those proposed Cuusoo sets of Bionicle look absolutely terrible. Fortunately, people have had the sense not to support it.~B~
Save for the one Yon linked. It's amazing. So amazing, you will feel insane for not supporting it. Luckily, I was one of the lucky ones.Anyways, I saw the issues Dark Bucket is having. But I think if Hasbro and Lego are willing to agree over My Little Pony, then the whole "lolstarwarsactionfigures" thing might work out after all.But yes, CUUSOO has been VERY busy lately. I'm thinking of submitting a project, but there are too many ideas floating around.
The Star Wars thing is a slightly more complicated case than the MLP one because the company that owns the IP (Lucasarts) is a different company than the one that has the license for producing action figures (Hasbro). If The LEGO Group were to come to any agreement over the Star Wars "Dark Bucket", they would probably have to pay royalties to two different companies (assuming Hasbro allowed the product at all), and that would cut into the product's profitability.Also, there's lots of precedent showing that Hasbro is not willing to let TLG individual Star Wars minifigure packs of any kind. This is the reason why minifigure magnet packs are now glued (a lot of people were using them as "minifigure packs"), the reason the minifigure collector's packs in 2000 came to an end, and the reason that Star Wars battle packs, unlike those for most other themes, are forced to include a significantly-sized vehicle or landscape so that it really qualifies as a building toy with figures rather than just as a figure pack that happens to include some compatible building bricks.The chances for the MLP project are slim, because TLG and Hasbro are competitors in the toy industry, but there's really no precedent I know of for TLG attempting to secure a license from Hasbro. So it's unclear how far they'd be willing to go to make that happen. With the Star Wars Dark Bucket, the Cuusoo staff have already stated that the product could not be produced in its current form, suggesting that perhaps they have even attempted to negotiate for such a product in the past to no avail.

The Star Wars thing is a slightly more complicated case than the MLP one because the company that owns the IP (Lucasarts) is a different company than the one that has the license for producing action figures (Hasbro). If The LEGO Group were to come to any agreement over the Star Wars "Dark Bucket", they would probably have to pay royalties to two different companies (assuming Hasbro allowed the product at all), and that would cut into the product's profitability.Also, there's lots of precedent showing that Hasbro is not willing to let TLG individual Star Wars minifigure packs of any kind. This is the reason why minifigure magnet packs are now glued (a lot of people were using them as "minifigure packs"), the reason the minifigure collector's packs in 2000 came to an end, and the reason that Star Wars battle packs, unlike those for most other themes, are forced to include a significantly-sized vehicle or landscape so that it really qualifies as a building toy with figures rather than just as a figure pack that happens to include some compatible building bricks.The chances for the MLP project are slim, because TLG and Hasbro are competitors in the toy industry, but there's really no precedent I know of for TLG attempting to secure a license from Hasbro. So it's unclear how far they'd be willing to go to make that happen. With the Star Wars Dark Bucket, the Cuusoo staff have already stated that the product could not be produced in its current form, suggesting that perhaps they have even attempted to negotiate for such a product in the past to no avail.
No, no, I know this. What I mean is that if Hasbro is willing to make a deal over a license to something they've been making the past 30 years, then perhaps negotiations over the Dark Bucket project are possible. It's funny though, some people who think the MLP project will work hands down are the same who say "stooped haru u prjct suks pls". Not you, Aanchir, you are able to see the other side of everything, and I commend you for that.

The Krika Show Season 2 

Save for the one Yon linked. It's amazing. So amazing, you will feel insane for not supporting it. Luckily, I was one of the lucky ones.
Actually, that was the one that prompted my comment.~B~

Okay, just a quick comment about Cuusoo. The concept looks really good, and I can see a few great sets coming out of it, but it seems like it's slowly turning into another MOC website. I think we have enough of those, but people keep posting little things they've made that won't really make a nice theme or even a single set. There are some epic things on there, but not really that I'd like to buy or build. I really hope Lego will start making whole themes based on Cuusoo, because I've found a few very original, very nice concepts like Ice Vikings, Desert Patrol, and Green Guardians, all of which I would definitely like to buy a few sets in. I hope that more like that come out of it.

Okay, just a quick comment about Cuusoo. The concept looks really good, and I can see a few great sets coming out of it, but it seems like it's slowly turning into another MOC website. I think we have enough of those, but people keep posting little things they've made that won't really make a nice theme or even a single set. There are some epic things on there, but not really that I'd like to buy or build. I really hope Lego will start making whole themes based on Cuusoo, because I've found a few very original, very nice concepts like Ice Vikings, Desert Patrol, and Green Guardians, all of which I would definitely like to buy a few sets in. I hope that more like that come out of it.

Yeah, there are new and original concepts as well as good ones, that's what I like about CUUSOO. Since they all start as one-hit wonder sets, though, MOCs are easier to market.

Save for the one Yon linked. It's amazing. So amazing, you will feel insane for not supporting it. Luckily, I was one of the lucky ones.
IS NOT POSSIBLE. Edited by MakutaKlak

The Krika Show Season 2 

Yeah, there are new and original concepts as well as good ones, that's what I like about CUUSOO. Since they all start as one-hit wonder sets, though, MOCs are easier to market.

IS NOT POSSIBLE.
True. Those sets are awesome. More originality could have helped, but they're definitely on par with 2009 (Not Vehicles.).

Pk57sNJ.jpg

IS NOT POSSIBLE.
True. Those sets are awesome. More originality could have helped, but they're definitely on par with 2009 (Not Vehicles.).
To each his own. But, to me, those just look like pretty poor Hero mods. The 2009 sets were far better aesthetically and in general. Really, I don't see this new Bionicle attempt going anywhere at all.~B~

IS NOT POSSIBLE.
To each his own. But, to me, those just look like pretty poor Hero mods. The 2009 sets were far better aesthetically and in general. Really, I don't see this new Bionicle attempt going anywhere at all.~B~
I'm going to have to agree with Ballom. No offense or anything, but those sets just look bad.

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

I MISS MY BUCKET 

I'm really starting to wish that Cuusoo had some kind of filter feature on their "Discover" page and the "My Page!" Everything gets clogged up with either "This guy supported this project," or some comment on a project I liked, but honestly don't care about the discussion. I really don't care who supported what unless it's my project.

But, to me, those just look like pretty poor Hero mods.

Really? I'm not seeing that much of a resemblance.Some of those sets actually don't look that bad, but since I am biased against Bionicle returning.....

hopelessly drifting, bathing in beautiful agony

So I was derping around and saw another project on the Recently Supported, this: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500It's a pretty sweet idea for those people who are annoyed with their old Bionicle pieces breaking (and even HF 1.0).

For me, BIONICLE was an epic science fantasy saga with a deep and complex lore, and was best when it was exactly that in its later years. I'm not sorry if that offended you.

Really? I'm not seeing that much of a resemblance.Some of those sets actually don't look that bad, but since I am biased against Bionicle returning.....

I'm going to have to agree with Ballom. No offense or anything, but those sets just look bad.

It's not like the project creator had much to work with. LDD decided to dump all of it in favor of Hero sets. So it's what we have for now. He plans on adding more Bionicle pieces.And Skipper, I seem to recall you saying that this would be the best way Bionicle would come back! :P

So I was derping around and saw another project on the Recently Supported, this: http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/17500It's a pretty sweet idea for those people who are annoyed with their old Bionicle pieces breaking (and even HF 1.0).

YES! THANK YOU! YEEESSS! Edited by MakutaKlak

The Krika Show Season 2 

So I was derping around and saw another project on the Recently Supported, this: http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/17500It's a pretty sweet idea for those people who are annoyed with their old Bionicle pieces breaking (and even HF 1.0).

Even I think this would be useful. *pictures getting all Bionicle parts that could work with HF in one package* :evilgrin:

It's not like the project creator had much to work with. LDD decided to dump all of it in favor of Hero sets. So it's what we have for now. He plans on adding more Bionicle pieces.And Skipper, I seem to recall you saying that this would be the best way Bionicle would come back! :P
What do you mean "dumping all of it in favor of Hero sets?" It makes it sound like LDD removed a lot of BIONICLE parts when HF came out, when really there are as many BIONICLE parts on LDD as there have ever been. I might just be misunderstanding your phrasing, though.Anyway, the HF-BIONICLE remolded joint parts pack is a cool concept, but I haven't supported it because I'm not confident I would actually buy such a product when it came down to it. For one thing, it seems to include only one of each recolored part, so replacing all of my older-style joints would require buying many copies of the set and ending up with many extra parts.Extra parts are all well and good, but there's also the issue of whether I would end up using a lot of these parts. Many of these parts are stylistically and functionally very different from modern-day Hero Factory parts, and some exist in colors that are hard enough to use in MOCs even if you ignore the cracking-joints issue completely.So all in all, while I'd love the idea of having sturdy joints in place of the many fragile ones in my collection, I can't think of any real way the project could be improved into something I would pay the almost certainly high cost for. Given the option, I might sooner just keep my existing joints and continue to be extra-careful with them.This project does, IMO, stand out as one of the most practical BIONICLE proposals on the site so far. Most BIONICLE proposals are simply attempts to "imitate" a normal BIONICLE release pattern or set design, and as such they tend to pale in comparison to both the BIONICLE sets of old and the Hero Factory sets of today. Even though I'm not a rabid "Bring Back BIONICLE" fan, though, I am still a fan of BIONICLE and I still search for BIONICLE-related proposals on Cuusoo to see if any new ones emerge that I could picture myself buying.

Oh boy. I'm just going to quote a post of mine regarding this project from elsewhere, since it took me so long to explain all the reasons why this project is both insufficient and impractical.

That's a neat idea, but there are a couple issues.For one, it lacks a great number of parts, such as basic Y-joints (even ones as old as 2001 have risk of breakage) and Glatorian fists (whether or not the "updated" ones would be a new three-fingered version or the already-produced four-fingered version is up to you). Some parts would be practically impossible to update, specifically parts in discontinued colors like the old greys.Also, while it would be amazing if these parts were produced, I don't know if a set with one of each would be the best way to do it. This sort of set would be almost guaranteed to benefit aftermarket sellers more than regular consumers. Very few consumers would need equal numbers of all of these parts, so this set would be bought up mostly by Bricklink sellers who would sell the parts individually for higher prices.Finally, this set would not be economical for LEGO to produce, which would likely lead to astronomical prices for this set. Every single part in this set would be a brand new mold, and each new mold would need to be released in several colors. It's not practical. The only way for LEGO to feasibly make these parts is to do as they have been doing (somewhat inconsistently, I admit), which is to release them as-needed in other sets. It would happen slowly, and we would probably never get all those parts, but it would make more sense business-wise for LEGO to do it this way.

EDIT: In response to another post...
That project would probably be rejected for the exact same reason as Serenity. Edited by Lyichir

Does anyone know what's been happening with Cuusoo lately? All of those projects that have reached 10 000 supporters are no longer featured on the front page and none of them have made any progress in the decision stage. I know it takes a while to decide what becomes a set and what doesn't, but it's been a while since some of them have achieved all of the supporters. I don't know if I'm just impatient to see the final decision, but Cuusoo seems to have gone stagnant at the moment.

The+Edge-Banderbear.jpg bug_animated.gifStarhawk-PlayStation-3-b-300x300.jpg

"Wuh?"

This quarter's review ends tonight at midnight. LEGO will be reviewing them soon! Read this blog for more info.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Ends tonight? I thought it officially started tonight...I think what they mean is that the entry period has ended, and the reviews will begin tomorrow.

Sorry. I didn't phrase that right. So this means any new project to reach it's goal will be reviewed next quarter.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

They weren't deleted, they were simply halted. They're still there. Of course, I'm disappointed either way, especially since they showed an unwillingness to work with Hasbro. But it was always a long shot even if they did go into talks. And I'm glad at least we now have a precedent for licenses owned by other toy companies, so this sort of issue can be avoided in the future.

They weren't deleted, they were simply halted. They're still there. Of course, I'm disappointed either way, especially since they showed an unwillingness to work with Hasbro. But it was always a long shot even if they did go into talks. And I'm glad at least we now have a precedent for licenses owned by other toy companies, so this sort of issue can be avoided in the future.

The thing about this project, as I always tried to point out to people who compared it with the Star Wars Dark Bucket, is how much we don't know. It's quite possible TLG has attempted talks with Hasbro about possible partnerships in the past to no avail, and so they didn't even see the point this time. It's also possible that TLG considers licensing talks with Hasbro too great a risk for the potential benefit, in that Hasbro might have a stronger role in the negotiations and could easily threaten to release their own MLP building toys if LEGO didn't agree to pay absurd royalties for the right to produce them.In any event I think it's valuable precedent for Cuusoo to have rejected a proposal for reasons other than inappropriate content. In the meantime, here's hoping Hasbro has been paying attention and will consider releasing MLP toys aimed at a more creative mindset-- if not Kre-O building toys, at least something that tries to capture that spirit of creative play that building toys tend to encourage.

This one is by far the best bring back Bionicle topic yet. There aren't any creations (and maybe that's a good thing), but the story is fantastic and believable, as well as brings back a lot of old characters while introducing a lot more! We might get sets of Artakha, Miserix, and a lot of other great characters enhanced by the Mask of Life. Definitely take a look!