Villains Of Bionicle

I thought it would be fun to discuss the darker side of Bionicle with its villains. Not just the guy who took the last widget from the widget jar (or whatever the Lego equivalent of a piggy bank is), but the dark murderers and organizations with schemes within schemes withing schemes that we all just love to hate (or worship depending on your sick little minds <3). Who was your favorite? Did you feel they lacked anything? Who would you play poker with to help you cheat? Discuss here! ^^To start things off, I'd have to say my favorite villain was Roodaka (contrary to my brothers arguing that my reasoning was flawed and that I was a total cool dude for liking her) mainly because of her voice actor in the movie. She was manipulative, venomous and all around a traitor. Gotta love her. ^^Though, I did feel a lack of something from the villains. I like an antagonist with redeeming qualities to their characters (like if Ahkmou were to stop being a grump or if he were actually a decent guy before he got his memory totally wiped and then had lies and harsh facts dumped on him by Makuta). Granted, this wouldn't have worked with every villain, but I would've liked to see that somewhere in the story.

Edited by Tekulo: Toa of Gales

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

I'm gonna say one of the most obvious choices ever.Teridax.Not only was he a good villain, unlike other villains in kids stories, he actually SUCCEEDED. This added a whole new face to Bionicle and set the story apart from other toy line stories.

The best villain was clearly Teri-

I'm gonna say one of the most obvious choices ever.Teridax.Not only was he a good villain, unlike other villains in kids stories, he actually SUCCEEDED. This added a whole new face to Bionicle and set the story apart from other toy line stories.

...This.But every villain had their own charms and quirks. The Piraka were interesting to watch because they reminded me of the youths you'd see hanging around street corners, keying cars and just performing acts of random violence whilst listening to their blaring rap music. The Barraki were fun to follow as they were warlords used to luxury and power, reduced to ugly sea creatures roaming the depths. Vezon was fun at first but then grew stale fast, which is a bit of a pity.The villains I'd say that didn't work best were the Makuta of 2008. There just wasn't enough time to explore them in their entirety. I'm not blaming Greg, given he was obviously pushed for time, but I just felt that for these ancient and omnipotent threats to the universe, they didn't exactly do much.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

Roodaka definitely stood out to me as the shrewd dark manipulator. I disliked how her creepy devotion to Teridax and shrewd manipulation was cheapened as the story went along - basically getting walked over. She could have been so much more. And I like Teridax. Captain obvious wins the favorite award. The other villains felt a bit two-dimensional, but I liked the depth given to the Piraka and the Dark Hunters and the 2008 Makuta. And the Barraki too, but I felt that they were my least favorite villains, randomly thrown in. One of the problems with Bionicle and the villains were that they were just too many of them, and not many of them stand out for particular reasons. Sometimes we just threw in villains so that the Toa would have something to fight (I'm thinking Gadunka here...). As for the villain with redeeming qualities, Brutaka comes to mind as well as Krika.

Favorite villain: Icarax.Sorry,but this one quote describes how awesome he is:

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse."

Coming June 22nd: Your chance to become an ECC critic! Power of the pen in your hands!

My favorite villains are the Piraka. Each of them had cool powers and their different personalities really helped them standout from the pre-06 villains. Bionicle Legends 4 helped with this, IMO. That book really helped them become more than just regular villains, making each of them their own character. I felt this was lacking for the villains post-06, like with some of the Barracki and 08 Makuta. Though the Mutran Chronicles did help flesh out the latter with their personalities somewhat. (At least with Mutran, anyway. :P)

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Teridax I'd raise, partly for his general overlording of '01 to '03 and partly because of his behaviour in '06 to '08. An evil genius there.Also Vakama in '05. It was a short-lived villainry (Real word? :P) but while it lasted his morals were so scrambled he was pretty much capable of anything.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

Good point. I don't deny he was a great villain (Heck, back in his first appearance in 2001 he submitted my favorite quote from Bionicle). Too bad his success was short-lived and that he was overthrown in an alternate Tuyet universe. Kinda cheapened him a bit in my opinion.

But every villain had their own charms and quirks. The Piraka were interesting to watch because they reminded me of the youths you'd see hanging around street corners, keying cars and just performing acts of random violence whilst listening to their blaring rap music. The Barraki were fun to follow as they were warlords used to luxury and power, reduced to ugly sea creatures roaming the depths. Vezon was fun at first but then grew stale fast, which is a bit of a pity.The villains I'd say that didn't work best were the Makuta of 2008. There just wasn't enough time to explore them in their entirety. I'm not blaming Greg, given he was obviously pushed for time, but I just felt that for these ancient and omnipotent threats to the universe, they didn't exactly do much.

... I have a new-found fear of teenagers now... XPYeah, I got kinda bummed out when Makuta became a species. Teridax set the bar pretty high for one thing, but I agree with the short amount of time. Maybe if they were introduced a year or two earlier it might have helped (working in the shadows following the Inika or Mahri instead of Teridax. That might have been interesting). Mutran Chronicles seemed to help that a bit, though.

Roodaka definitely stood out to me as the shrewd dark manipulator. I disliked how her creepy devotion to Teridax and shrewd manipulation was cheapened as the story went along - basically getting walked over. She could have been so much more. And I like Teridax. Captain obvious wins the favorite award.The other villains felt a bit two-dimensional, but I liked the depth given to the Piraka and the Dark Hunters and the 2008 Makuta. And the Barraki too, but I felt that they were my least favorite villains, randomly thrown in. One of the problems with Bionicle and the villains were that they were just too many of them, and not many of them stand out for particular reasons. Sometimes we just threw in villains so that the Toa would have something to fight (I'm thinking Gadunka here...).As for the villain with redeeming qualities, Brutaka comes to mind as well as Krika.

I agree with that. Roodaka in the later years wasn't anywhere near as entertaining. She probably could've mutated the group (or Brutaka) and then started a riot or could have snuck away. Maybe she could've turned herself into a sea-rahi temporarily and made her escape! (Okay, that last one sounds a bit far-fetched, but the general idea still stands. XP). I liked the Piraka, though. A team of villains that were in it for themselves first and foremost and who were only really working together out of convenience. Plus, they were rogues from the Dark Hunters, so I thought that really made the story interesting. I think I should probably mention at this point that I never really payed much attention to the 2008 story. XD I know Krika has had some sympathy to him, but I nevery really knew why (and I've never really bothered to look it up. Something to do with Gali I think). As for Brutaka (and I'm glad you pointed this out bedcause I knew I was missing someone), he doesn't strike me as a good guy in the current set of events. Maybe it's the fact that his eyes are shadows or the glowing aura, or maybe the fact that I picture him levitating... XP Oh, and Krika's dead too... Though, Brutaka was an interesting villain in that respect. I agree that he did have qualities of what I thought the Bionicle story was missing with its villains, though for whatever reason his story seemed kinda... odd... The Tahtorak, his ability to go anywhere, but his decision to stay on a rock and get bored into insanity, plus the fact his power seemed pretty dang impressive and he still lost, and now the glowing aura of darkness that now covers him... It's a bit much to take in for me... O.o

Also Vakama in '05. It was a short-lived villainry (Real word? :P) but while it lasted his morals were so scrambled he was pretty much capable of anything.

Haha, that's an interesting thought! You know, it would be interesting to see how he would've turned out as a villain. Vakama as Makuta's hordika henchman that controls Ta-Metru. Teridax has him begging for treats as Vakama performs many embarassing tricks and actions. Dance my puppet dance! XP (I could see that)

Also Vakama in '05. It was a short-lived villainry (Real word? :P) but while it lasted his morals were so scrambled he was pretty much capable of anything.

Haha, that's an interesting thought! You know, it would be interesting to see how he would've turned out as a villain. Vakama as Makuta's hordika henchman that controls Ta-Metru. Teridax has him begging for treats as Vakama performs many embarassing tricks and actions. Dance my puppet dance! XP (I could see that)
Except if Vakama stayed evil, Teridax would never be released from the Protodermis cage, and Vakama may have eventually turned against Roodaka, and conquered Metru-Nui, now the only commander of the Visorak.Then the Hordika Venom would finish with his brain, and he would just be another Rahi...

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

I thought it was Roodaka's plan to turn all of the Hordika and then free Teridax? Though, if she were overthrown, then that would pose a problem. XDThough, if he did become fully hordika, I'm not sure he'd lose his intelligence. After all, look at Keetongu (a rahi). It was interesting to see a hero become a villain, nonetheless. We got snippets of that with Lewa as well (though that was even more short-lived).

Though, I did feel a lack of something from the villains. I like an antagonist with redeeming qualities to their characters (like if Ahkmou were to stop being a grump or if he were actually a decent guy before he got his memory totally wiped and then had lies and harsh facts dumped on him by Makuta). Granted, this wouldn't have worked with every villain, but I would've liked to see that somewhere in the story.

Krika has the redeeming qualities. Brutaka went full-on good guy when he was redeemed, so I wouldn't count him. (Then again, when he fell into Antidermis...)I enjoyed the arguments with Mutran and Chirox, some of it was quite funny.Best villain was obviously Makuta. (I mean Teridax. I don't give a Karz what I call him, same guy to me, and an epic one at that.) The guy became God, that's pretty definitive.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

I can never understand why everyone loves Krika. Just because he realized that he was a hate worshiping makuta and tries to split up the toa team and prevent them from awakining mata nui by talking to gali doesn't make him incredibly interesting. Maybe I need to read that book again.I liked Icarax, simply because he was so darned powerful and cool looking. And Brutaka, because that might be the coolest bionicle figure ever made, and he's gto an awesome sense of distorted righteousness and humor. And he's powerful too.In a similar vein, the Piraka were some of the most impressive villians ever. They sqaubbled, had really cool powers and qaulities. Zaktan was made of protodites, Hakann could create mental blasts, Vezok could steal people's powers, etc. They beat up and destroyed the Toa Nuva, our heroes for most of the earier story, in one battle without losing one of their own. How's that for a cool introduction?Sadly, they end up losing repeatedly to a group of novice toa. They seem to lose a lot of their power later, although story wise there were explanations. (Infighting, extra inika lightning powers, and so on). Their exit end of 2006 ended well with a bit of a cliffhanger: the Piraka waiting for their next move, slowly being mutated by that water in that place underground...It's a shame they get sidetracked, turned into snakes and thrown into a glorified aquarium in the Order of Mata Nui stronghold.

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

Oh, no-one mentions Takadox? He deserves a lot more love than he's getting, here. Second to Takadox is Terry, though.Face it, guys: Takadox was (and still is) awesome. (Although I may be biased. I did buy him three times, and name a website after him. XD)

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse."

To be honest, that quote just makes him seem incredibly dull. There's nothing clever or interesting about a villain like that. It's just cliche dialogue for a dull character.
Why does that make him seem dull? Most villains of bionicle are all shceme-y, like teridax. This makes Icarax feel less like another Teridax. I think a Makuta who tries to destroy everything is interesting; most other makuta we've seen before are very behind-the-senes and manipulative.And personally, by most bionicle standards, I don't think it's cliche.

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

I can't really say who my favorite villain is, since I have a couple.I always enjoyed Vezon, since he was so unpredictable. He could be good, he could be bad.Teridax is obviously one of the best because he actually succeeded. lolI also found The Shadowed One to be quite an awesome villain, even though he never really showed himself much.

67685335.jpg             

Teridax is one of my favorite characters overall. He formulated a 1000 year long plan and intentionally failed to succeed in conquering the Matoran Universe.The crazy skakdi, Vezon, is also cool because he just seems like an interesting character: An insane person who goes to a different dimension with every step.

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

To be honest, that quote just makes him seem incredibly dull. There's nothing clever or interesting about a villain like that. It's just cliche dialogue for a dull character.
Why does that make him seem dull? Most villains of bionicle are all shceme-y, like teridax. This makes Icarax feel less like another Teridax. I think a Makuta who tries to destroy everything is interesting; most other makuta we've seen before are very behind-the-senes and manipulative.And personally, by most bionicle standards, I don't think it's cliche.
It's cliche by overall standards. It's just standard bad-guy talk. He might be unique for Bionicle (which I don't think he really is anyway) but is just the same of 99% of villains in everything ever.- Tilius
That's very true.He's basically monologuing, which we know all villians do. Edited by thebeggerpie

WIP

Gotta tell ya, I really dug Zaktan. He was just a completely remorseless fiend with an interesting (if woefully underused) ability. Shame we didn't see more of him....Besides, Tekulo: Toa of Gales, I think we all know why you really like Roodaka so much... :P

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

It's cliche by overall standards. It's just standard bad-guy talk. He might be unique for Bionicle (which I don't think he really is anyway) but is just the same of 99% of villains in everything ever.- Tilius
Being a evil mastermind cooking up plans and other things and a guy that throws all that out in a senseless quest for violence are both cliche. However, "99% of villains in everything ever" do not throw all reasoning out; the evil mastermind thing is not something unique to Bionicle.

Zaktan was one of the most intimidating of all the villians. The Piraka as a whole was an interesting new concept story-wise for the bionicle saga. Rather than a group of mechaniods (bohrok and vahki) or servants (rahkshi and visorak) the Piraka were a group of individuals each with different personalities. You could really fear the hatred and violence wafting off those guys and I remember feeling that they were almost unbeatable and potentially even a match for makuta. There was quite a sense of dread when they defeated the Toa Nuva, and to this day I still find it difficult to believe they were able to do it. Set wise their design was very alien from anything before them which set them apart. But, back to Zaktan, the fact that he learned Maluta's plan and knew what antidermis was earns him some major vilian cred. It was a major story disservice to mutate the piraka into sea snakes.

BZPOWER HAS RETURNED! AGAIN!

Roodaka is one of my favorites. I absolutely love her cunning and intense web of plans she makes for any and all situations. I wish there was more elaboration on dark toa, like if Ahkmou became the shadow toa he was supposed to be and finally see a dark side to him.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Teridax was an AMAZING villian, every defeat got him closer to his goals, his plan was almost failproof, and he provided this quote "There are a thousand ways I could destroy you right now. And 941 of them hurt."Icarax was cool, strong and liked fighting, amazing.Antroz had a really cool desing, he respected Toa and gave this other awesome quote:"A handful of Toa? A handful of Toa stole the Mask of Light from Destral itself. Another prevented the conquest of Metru Nui, kept the Mask of Time from us, and even dared to imprison a Makuta! Still another — this very group — defeated Rahi, Rahkshi, and Bohrok swarms, and invaded Makuta Teridax's very lair. One thing I've learned is that you underestimate Toa — any Toa — at your own peril."Krika had potential, he was the perfect example of an Anti-villian and missed the days in which the name "Makuta" stood for protectors, instead of villians. The bad thing is that he, along wiht Icarax and Antroz, got killed too fast.Vezon was funny, Roodaka was clever, etc..

Now, I haven't really been keeping up to date with the Bionicle story since the beginning of '08 and I've forgotten a lot of it from before, but there are still villains that I remember, so there must be something about them.First, the obvious ones: Teridax and Roodaka. I think everyone else already explained well why they are good and memorable villains.The one other villain that I remember enough to comment on is Karzahni. Now, to me there are two distinct characters of Karzahni: one is the ruthless and insane ruler of his dystopia and the other is a washed up and rather generic, simple villain, and the distinction between the two of course is the Pit. The one I want to briefly talk about is the pre-Pit Karzahni.The insanity was quite a nice touch at the time, as at least as far as I recall there were no genuinely insane characters when he was first introduced, or at least not anywhere near to the same extent. I guess Vezon would be the closest once we were introduced to him, but until then that made Karzahni a very unique character. And not only was he insane, but he also had power and it's quite interesting to see the results of that, and I have to say I like how he built and made himself the ruler of this dystopian realm, where no one has an identity and everyone is a slave to him.

But every villain had their own charms and quirks. The Piraka were interesting to watch because they reminded me of the youths you'd see hanging around street corners, keying cars and just performing acts of random violence whilst listening to their blaring rap music.

And now the Piraka will always remind me of A Clockwork Orange. Actually wouldn't be surprised if they were at least a bit inspired by it. Not sure how I never saw the similarity before.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

Krika and Antroz. Although not too prominent in the story, they were both quite unique. Krika, for one, actually acknowledged jealousy for the Toa and others, unlike almost ever other Makuta, who only wanted to be generic pure evil villains.

"Do you know why we Makuta hate Toa so much? It's because you are what we could only pretend to be, once upon a time -- heroes who do good for no reward. And so we call you fools, and even slay you... because we could not be you."

Also, his offering Gali mercy when he realized how the Makuta in Karda Nui were doomed as pretty noble for a villain.Similarly, Antroz being a villain with a sense of honor was rather unique among Bionicle villains, being a rare Lawful-Evil character.~B~ Edited by Ballom

Thinking about it, I really like Vezon as a villain -- back when he was a sociopathic, riddle-speaking guardian in the Chamber of Life. After he got out and lost all his power and mystique, like so many other BIONICLE villains, he gained some awesome powers and revealed he could use masks, but then he degenerated into comic relief. A fusion of the "two" Vezon personas would create one of the most amazing anti-hero/villains EVER. I must get around to this in a fanfic...

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Q1: Who was your favorite?Roodaka or Lariska. Their characters were manipulative and possessed a devious, very feminine characteristic about them. Lariska I thought was cool because her character had a mechanical arm, which was a good characteristic or addition to experiment with in a character. Roodaka was great because of Tekulo's reasons: Venomous, manipulative, deceiving, and a traitor to most she interacted with. Therefore, she's awesome. :PQ2: Did they lack anything?I believe neither lacked much, although Lariska lacked coverage in the story, I think. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think she should have had a more significant role in the storyline, not to mention be made into a set. She would have been quite interesting in set-form.Q3: Who would you play poker with to help you cheat?...I've never cheated before in poker. :lookaround:

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...