Lego Digital Designer

Alyska

Anyone here use LDD? I'm curious to know what people think of it...I tried downloading a copy onto my laptop, but sadly it doesn't seem to function properly (The screen keeps flashing and won't let me click anything). The laptop is an MSI X320 running Windows Vista. During the installation, it popped up a message about needing a new OpenGL driver, but I haven't been able to locate an appropriate one for my particular laptop (may have something to do with the fact that I have no idea what OpenGL is... or where to look for one). I'm also looking into getting LDraw, in case that doesn't work out. Has anyone here used both? If so, which would you recommend?

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

I cannot help you with that error for I don't know much about computers, and I've never heard of LDraw before. However, I've used LDD for many years and I'd recommend it. I wouldn't run it on a laptop because it is a heavy program and it may get slow with bigger constructions. LDD has a pretty large assortment of bricks of different kinds, measures and colors, even if there aren't much BIONICLE parts, when there's plenty of HF parts, which is the only con, IMO.Dunno if this will be useful, but hope it helped you!

OpenGL is something that deals with your graphics card. If you run Windows OS, press the Windows key and "R", and the Run dialog should pop up.Enter "dxdiag" into the box and press enter. Go to Display 1 tab. There should be a section that says Drivers, and the Main Driver should be a DLL file. Google the file and update from there.

AΨ 94

Anyone here use LDD? I'm curious to know what people think of it...I tried downloading a copy onto my laptop, but sadly it doesn't seem to function properly (The screen keeps flashing and won't let me click anything). The laptop is an MSI X320 running Windows Vista. During the installation, it popped up a message about needing a new OpenGL driver, but I haven't been able to locate an appropriate one for my particular laptop (may have something to do with the fact that I have no idea what OpenGL is... or where to look for one). I'm also looking into getting LDraw, in case that doesn't work out. Has anyone here used both? If so, which would you recommend?

I haven't used LDraw before, but I have used LDD and it's a decent program. I have been running it on my laptops for years. So long as it's a decent laptop, there's nothing wrong with running it on a laptop.OpenGL is an open source graphics library LEGO uses for rendering LDD on your screen. As for getting an updated driver, open the Device Manager and click on "Display adapters" to find the brand and model of graphics card you have. Then, visit your graphic card manufacturer's website and search for any available updates for your graphics card.

OpenGL is something that deals with your graphics card. If you run Windows OS, press the Windows key and "R", and the Run dialog should pop up.Enter "dxdiag" into the box and press enter. Go to Display 1 tab. There should be a section that says Drivers, and the Main Driver should be a DLL file. Google the file and update from there.

I'm not sure that will help considering dxdiag is short for DirectX Diagnostics and LDD doesn't use DirectX, it uses OpenGL.

Are signatures still a thing?

There doesn't seem to be an official driver for it on the MSI website... do these things go by any other names? And I've downloaded a couple of driver updater programs with good reputations, but they don't seem to work either. I think I just have a mongrel laptop.:(

I've used LDraw, back in the day, but if the program is still what it was back then, LDD is far, far better. LDraw was not very user friendly. I think it has a wider range of traditional pieces though, so some die-hard designers prefer it. (Myself I like the ease of use of LDD better.)

I've never used LDraw, but I can tell you that LDD is not the thing to run on a laptop. That thing is so annoyingly slow. Ugh.

It runs fine on my laptop.It basically comes down to whether you have a powerful system or a wimpy one, and no I'm not really sure what all is needed, I just know that on my laptop it runs better than any desktop I've ever tried it on (admittedly they are all dinosaurs anyways), and better than my brother's laptop. Better RAM and graphics hardware definitely helps, though. And this is Windows 7. I have no idea about Vista; I've only tried it on XP and 7 (because Vista is avoided like plague :P).On all the computers, I've never run into the main problems people talk about. Running it in safe mode has always improved it, though, and I haven't noticed any downsides to that mode.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I've never used LDraw, but I can tell you that LDD is not the thing to run on a laptop. That thing is so annoyingly slow. Ugh.

It runs fine on my laptop.It basically comes down to whether you have a powerful system or a wimpy one, and no I'm not really sure what all is needed, I just know that on my laptop it runs better than any desktop I've ever tried it on (admittedly they are all dinosaurs anyways), and better than my brother's laptop. Better RAM and graphics hardware definitely helps, though. And this is Windows 7. I have no idea about Vista; I've only tried it on XP and 7 (because Vista is avoided like plague :P).On all the computers, I've never run into the main problems people talk about. Running it in safe mode has always improved it, though, and I haven't noticed any downsides to that mode.
Well, my computer is five years old and starting to show its age, although it still runs pretty well for most things. My little brother's computer, however, which is two years older than mine and a desktop, runs LDD better than mine.I think it might have something to do with the monitor, since enabling some 3D features of my monitor software helped. Also ran into the same deal with the Glatorian Arena software, although not as badly.

There doesn't seem to be an official driver for it on the MSI website... do these things go by any other names? And I've downloaded a couple of driver updater programs with good reputations, but they don't seem to work either. I think I just have a mongrel laptop. :(

I don't believe MSI manufactures graphics cards. They are probably using another manufacturer's graphics card in your computer. Could you post a screen shot of what you see under "Display adapters" in the Device Manager?

I've used LDraw, back in the day, but if the program is still what it was back then, LDD is far, far better. LDraw was not very user friendly. I think it has a wider range of traditional pieces though, so some die-hard designers prefer it. (Myself I like the ease of use of LDD better.)

I believe LDraw also uses an open format for it's pieces, so users can create pieces.As for hardware to consider for 3D performance, your processor speed, RAM, and graphics card are all important. I would avoid Intel graphics cards like the plague. I find they struggle to redraw the entire screen for even simple 2D stuff, let alone 3D. AMD and Nvidia graphics cards, preferably with some dedicated video memory, are many times better. Edited by JrMasterModelBuilder

I've used LDraw, but haven't ever fallen in love with it. I prefer LDD, though I rarely use it either anymore.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I prefer LDD to LDraw just because I feel the building is more intuitive. LDraw is more like a CAD program and less like a virtual building tool where you connect the parts to each other like you would in real life. As such, LDraw requires a more mathematically-inclined mindset than LDD. And while I'm pretty good at math and don't mind using it on LDD, I find having to put myself in that mindset throughout the whole building process kind of stifles my creativity.

I like to create Hero Factory MOCs in it...I should also make some NINJAGO 2011 looking ones, that would look pretty epic.LDD reminds me alot of the old LEGO Creator games for PC, so it feels a little nostalgic to use. I love it.

daringsig.png

"Remember the Heart of NINJAGO."
I might eat you if you get too close >:3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still not working on the laptop, so I've kinda settled for LDraw for now. LDD works on one of our other computers, but I don't get the chance to use it much. I think generally LDD is better because the elements actually snap together, but object rotation is a little awkward...

Everyone's having that same problem. The issue seems to be with LEGO's server, so the (temporary) solution is to disconnect from the internet before you boot up LDD. It'll ask if you want to do it in offline mode; say yes and it'll start normally. And once you've done that you can reconnect, in case you needed the internet for instructions or reference pictures.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Everyone's having that same problem. The issue seems to be with LEGO's server, so the (temporary) solution is to disconnect from the internet before you boot up LDD. It'll ask if you want to do it in offline mode; say yes and it'll start normally. And once you've done that you can reconnect, in case you needed the internet for instructions or reference pictures.

Thanks.

I use Ldd on my laptop and it works fine for me. I don't tend to make large creations. I've been recently using it to make sets that I don't own yet but I want to get then revamp. By building it in Ldd and revamping it there I can get all the parts I need when I make it in real life. Though I would like it to have every part that lego has made. Especially all the hero factory parts that are currently out. I hope when the Breakout part 2 sets come out. Ldd will get an update containing those parts

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

Oh yeah, so I have something cool to share from a while ago. So earlier this year, I thought of a cool idea of a more advanced version of LDD that would be more like a professional CAD application. I sent the suggestion to LEGO and quickly got the reply that they thought the idea was great, and would be very valuable to a large range of people. I then got another followup email saying that they passed the idea on to their developers to see what they could get done. I used LDraw as an example here, because it is a useful tool, but needs some work that LEGO could add to make the program more accurate and up-to-date.Also, another suggestion I sent them was for them to release public beta versions of LDD (with an integrated feedback-sending plugin), which could hopefully reduce the amount of bugs that need to be worked out after public release. They replied and said that they don't have plans to have public betas. :(These are just some things I'm announcing here, and maybe we'll see something similar in the future. Any feedback or further ideas on these suggestions (especially the first one)?

Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Fascinating, Meiko, about the first one. It's really cool that they answered that way. Personally I greatly prefer the user-friendly LDD system, but I know some people prefer the LDraw style system so it might be good to have the option to switch between controlling modes.Something I would really want to see in addition would be full user control over colors, not just picking a color from a palette but mixing colors ourselves. At least as another option.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Fascinating, Meiko, about the first one. It's really cool that they answered that way. Personally I greatly prefer the user-friendly LDD system, but I know some people prefer the LDraw style system so it might be good to have the option to switch between controlling modes.Something I would really want to see in addition would be full user control over colors, not just picking a color from a palette but mixing colors ourselves. At least as another option.
Just remember this was last year. Haven't talked about it in a while, sadly. YES! Custom colors would be amazing. Another thing that I'd like is custom decals in LDD. That would make things look so cool right there. :happydance:

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Just remember this was last year. Haven't talked about it in a while, sadly. YES! Custom colors would be amazing. Another thing that I'd like is custom decals in LDD. That would make things look so cool right there. :happydance:
Custom decals would be the best. And even if they don't do that, they should include more decals for the minifigure torsos. I was using it just last night and found it nearly impossible to find a good upper torso decal for my minifigure.

daringsig.png

Yes! Torso and face decals. Yes yes yes want want.

They should find a better way to list the face decals, because I can't see the bottom row. They should maybe make the rows one or two faces longer.
Does it get cut off by the window frame? I hate that, but it's just a problem with screen resolution. That's something LEGO always seems to have trouble with is different screen sizes... :(

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Or just use a scroll bar... Yeah, on my screen they just barely fit; the lowest row is partly cut off. And I only know it's the lowest row from seeing it on a larger screen before.

Edited by bonesiii

I just unlock the bottom bar and pull it down.
I've done that too. That's how I found out that it was just the bottom row that I was missing. It's annoying to have to do it every time, though.

I've done that too. That's how I found out that it was just the bottom row that I was missing. It's annoying to have to do it every time, though.
It is. Is there a way to change the screen resolution?

daringsig.png

On your computer, yes. In LDD itself, no, not to my knowledge.

Doing that every time would be just as annoying.

Doing that every time would be just as annoying.
There should be a way to set it permanently to a screen resolution that works with it. Unless you're on a clunky laptop like mine. Go to Control Panel>Appearance & Themes>Change Screen Resolution. (Those are XP instructions, btw.) Whatever you set should stay - I don't know about newer systems, but there should be a Control Panel.

If you're going to use L.D.D. on a laptop, make sure it's new enough to handle it. And if not that, there are certain laptops made for digital designing of that kind, and if not that, then some are certainly better than others for such programs.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

I recommend getting into LDraw if LDD doesn't work. LDraw generally works on lower-powered computers in my experience, plus it works on OSes LDD doesn't support (like Linux).

OpenGL is an open source graphics library LEGO uses for rendering LDD on your screen.
[pedantic]OpenGL is an open graphics standard, not a library. There are open-source implementations - most notably Mesa - but OpenGL itself is a standard, not a library.[/pedantic]

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

LDraw is a set of 3D models that form the base of LDD. (IIRC) LDraw is a completely different project from LDD though, and LEGO doesn't develop it. LDraw has two main advantages: You can define your own custom pieces, and there are several CAD programs built on top of it (LDD included), so you can pick and choose between them.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

To all those people having trouble seeing all the face decals, the easiest solution is to click View>New Themes>LDD, search "3626" or "mini head" in the search box at the top of the brick tray, and if you want to narrow the selection even further click filter bricks by color at the bottom of the brick tray and select the color you're looking for.Not only does LDD mode allow you to see decorated parts in the bricks tray (giving you access to a scroll bar), but it also includes many decorated parts that aren't even accessible with the Decoration Tool in LDD Extended mode.I've actually found that these days, LDD mode has several advantages over LDD Extended mode. For instance, in LDD mode you can search for a part by its Element ID as well as its Design ID, making it easier to find a part by viewing a set's inventory in the back of its instruction booklet. Also, for the most part, the parts palette in LDD mode is more grounded in reality-- although there are numerous exceptions, the majority of parts in LDD mode are ones that exist physically and have been released in sets, making it a bit easier to build something with a certain color scheme and keep track of whether your model can be built in real life.

I recommend getting into LDraw if LDD doesn't work. LDraw generally works on lower-powered computers in my experience, plus it works on OSes LDD doesn't support (like Linux).
LDD works under Wine on Ubuntu Linux I hear.
OpenGL is an open source graphics library LEGO uses for rendering LDD on your screen.
[pedantic]OpenGL is an open graphics standard, not a library. There are open-source implementations - most notably Mesa - but OpenGL itself is a standard, not a library.[/pedantic]
:) Technically true, even though it's short for Open Graphics Library and I believe exists in the form of a DLL (Dynamic-link library) on Windows.
It should be noted that you would only be able to lower the screen resolution below the maximum of you screen resolution unless it was lowered before hand. So that probably won't help.
That would be helpful. Is it free like LDD as well?
Yep!