Set Review: 20200 Master Builder Academy Starter Set

20200_MBA_teaser.jpg

Today we have a review of a different sorts. DeeVee has taken a look at the <a href="http://amzn.to/KZNDsP" target="offsite">20200 Master Builder Academy Starter Set</a> to see what this MBA thing is all about. Are you looking for ways to improve your building? Want a peek inside the brains of LEGO set designers and master builders? Even if you don't, read on to see what makes this set tick!

View the full article

Love the review! I feel there's not nearly enough awareness of Master Builder Academy. I'm currently on Kit 5, and can vouch for the fact that these sets have something for everyone. For beginners, there are techniques that might not come naturally to them (sideways building, as obvious a technique as it may be for veteran builders, is a higher level technique; most youngsters start by building straight up and down). For experts, there are interviews with both prominent AFOLs and LEGO set designers. And of course, everyone can get good use out of the parts: the MBA kits tend to include more complex parts than you'd find in basic brick collections, including newer versatile parts like 2x4 tiles, 1x2 plates with clip on top, and many others. I, like many people, was pretty disappointed when Brickmaster magazine was discontinued, but I can safely say that MBA has more than filled the void it left.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I really love the MBA series, but if I had one complaint, once you reach the last pack of level two, there is not enough room in that box for all the Lego peices to be sorted nicely. Luckily, level 3 starts off with a brand new box.

Edited by J46 Nui

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

This looks like a really cool set. It's kind of a shame that there isn't enough pieces to build all three sets at once, but the book makes up for it. Thanks for reviewing this, DV! http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.png

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I like the looks of these sets, the colors are cool. What's the price?

Kit 1 costs $29.99. A subscription to Kits 2 through 6 (which consists of the rest of Level 1 as well as Level 2) costs $69.99. A subscription to Kits 7 through 9 (Level 3) costs $59.99.The prices may seem expensive, but they're justified. Kit 1 and Kit 7 include sorting trays, brick separators, and high-quality boxes for storage. This is reflected in the price: while Kit 1's price may seem a bit steep at almost 17 cents per part, the Kit 2 through 6 subscription, which doesn't feature these extras, comes to an almost-unbelievable 6 cents per piece! Personally, I'd recommend starting with Kit 1 anyway, since it gives you the basic run-down of the program as well as providing a place to store the next five kits (every kit other than 1 and 7 comes in unmarked cardboard packaging which does not reseal well). My family only bought a single Kit 1 and got two subscriptions for 2 through 6 (one for our little brother at home and one for us at college).

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Great review! I really love LEGO MBA, for just about the same reasons Lyichir said in his first reply. They have something for everyone, and I love the challenges in building very unique models using only the parts in the kit. Not only does it give good practice, but it helps me find great ways of using parts I hadn't thought of using them before. I'm really fond of all the kits so far, and looking ahead, I can't wait until I get the upcoming levels.

...one for our little brother at home...

You could just say Meiko. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/sarcastic.gif

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Love the review! I feel there's not nearly enough awareness of Master Builder Academy. I'm currently on Kit 5, and can vouch for the fact that these sets have something for everyone. For beginners, there are techniques that might not come naturally to them (sideways building, as obvious a technique as it may be for veteran builders, is a higher level technique; most youngsters start by building straight up and down). For experts, there are interviews with both prominent AFOLs and LEGO set designers. And of course, everyone can get good use out of the parts: the MBA kits tend to include more complex parts than you'd find in basic brick collections, including newer versatile parts like 2x4 tiles, 1x2 plates with clip on top, and many others. I, like many people, was pretty disappointed when Brickmaster magazine was discontinued, but I can safely say that MBA has more than filled the void it left.

I agree that MBA is very overlooked. It has many things that people can learn and add to their creations. It was very thoughtful of LEGO to create it and teach their fans tenqniques and such.

daringsig.png

"Remember the Heart of NINJAGO."
I might eat you if you get too close >:3