Warm Up: Flash Fiction Marathon

Velox

Member Name: Endless Sea ~turmoil~Theme: VisionsWord Count: 552Name: MasksShe found Korlu huddled behind a boulder near the still-smoldering campfire, knees clutched to his chest, limbs thin and limp under discolored white armor, eyes and heartlight flickering with dim gold light. The face behind his Mask of Clairvoyance was tensed and quivering, the jaw hanging slack, the eyelids drooping.He reminded Ihara of rumors she had heard about the first of her kind- about the terrible burden Helryx had been forced to shoulder when she forsook the Code, and what countless millennia of service to the Great Spirit had done to her body. The Toa of Lightning had often wondered what her kind would look like in such a withered state; looking at the present state of her comrade, she felt she had found out.[/font]Dropping to one knee beside Korlu, she whispered, “Brother? Can you hear me?”[/font]The Toa of Ice said nothing, but his head bobbed forward slightly.[/font]Ihara closed her eyes, exhaled softly. “Korlu, do you remember what happened at the campfire this evening?”[/font]Korlu didn’t respond.[/font]“Korlu, you… We were talking about the Visorak tower that showed up in the south, remember? And you were in the middle of one of those visions your mask gives you, saying something about Kahgarak and Lohrak, and then you just fell over and had a seizure-”[/font]“The visions help us,” Korlu croaked.[/font]Ihara blinked. “What?”[/font]“The visions help us,” he repeated.[/font]Ihara stared at him. “…No, brother, they- they don’t. The visions hurt. They hurt you.” She reached for his hand. “They hurt allof us-“[/font]Faster than she had believed possible, Korlu lashed out and grabbed her arm. “No. The visions help.”[/font]Ihara gasped something that sounded halfway between a cough and a sob. Korlu let go, his fingers lingering on her arm for a moment before clutching at his knees again.[/font]The Toa of Lightning didn't try anything after that at first, simply sitting down next to her comrade, not letting him escape her gaze. Korlu did nothing, his eyes firmly focused on the ground.[/font]After a few minutes, Ihara reached over to Korlu again. "Brother?"[/font]Korlu tilted his head slightly in her direction. When a moment passed and he didn’t look away, Ihara, taking a deep breath, pulled off her Pakari.Immediately, she felt like her lungs had been completely emptied, and with the waves of nausea and dizziness that quickly followed, she doubled over with her eyes closed and teeth gritted, clutching at her stomach. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d gone without a Kanohi, and her body was reacting far worse than she’d expected.Suddenly, she felt the mask in her hand being pulled towards her face, and she forced her head up to see Korlu kneeling over her, eyes wide behind his mask as he tried to reattach her Pakari.“No,” she gasped, and the Toa of Ice’s grip suddenly grew far weaker, although his hand remained on her Kanohi. “Y-you take… My mask… I’ll wear yours…” She attempted a reassuring smile. “One of us has t-to wear it… Right…?”Korlu looked at her, looking much as he had when Ihara had found him, eyes half-closed, mouth half-open. Even when he reached around the back of his head and slowly peeled the Mask of Clairvoyance from his face, his eyes never left hers.
END[/font]

Edited by Endless Sea ~turmoil~

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

New Theme:

legendsoflhii.png

The Legends of Lhii

As alluded to in the banner above, the second theme will be "The Legend of Lhii." Write a Legend of Lhii. One of the stories invented or adapted by Turaga Vakama and told to the Matoran of Mata Nui. See the

BS01 article. This is a BIONICLE theme, and it must adhere to the word count restriction posted above.

Deadline: May 29th, 2:59 AM EST (note: changing time limit to three hours later to compensate as I didn't post the theme until now)

Polls will be up shortly, and I will also edit the main post shortly. Bear with me.

Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

I'm slightly saddened with this contest, however. I'm not going to be able to make it all twelve days because I'm going to be gone over all of next week.

Same. I'll try to keep up, but it's probably not gonna happen. Ah, well.This new theme looks awesome, though.

Q2TtLEz.png

Member Name: Varkanax39Theme: The Legends of LhiiName: The Final Tale

The Final Tale

“Gather round, friends,” Turaga Vakama whispered, “And listen to the final tale of Lhii, a Ta-Matoran forgotten by all of you…but because of my tales, no longer. This is how he met his end, and how he was remembered by all Ta-Matoran fondly afterward.”Lihkan, this is for you, Vakama thought, the name of his long-dead Toa friend echoing in his mind as he began to speak quietly.---The light of the lava lamps mingled with the gleam of the sunlight above as Lhii sped on his Lava Board across the volcanic crater, slowly picking up speed. The wind blew lazily past him, slowly gaining in intensity as Lhii’s lava board picked up speed.The Ta-Matoran smiled behind his mask. Today, the conditions for lava surfing were perfect. He wouldn’t have missed it for anything. Later today, he’d heard, a group of Ta-Matoran was gathering at a well-known lava crater, the Tren Krom Break, for a surfing competition. Lhii didn’t plan to enter. He was the greatest lava surfer in his day, only his friend, the Matoran Jaller, could come close to him, so why enter a competition he was sure to win? Nowadays, he preferred to surf alone.Lhii was picking up speed. He was moving faster and faster across the surface of the lava, inches from the edge of a massive crest of red molten rock. Lhii sped over it and flew through the air, landing on his board with the accomplished skill of a practiced lava surfer. He rode the flows for several minutes before gathering speed and tearing across the crater once more.Suddenly Lhii saw a massive, jagged outcropping approaching. He hadn’t expected one this large; then again, he reminded himself, this wasn’t one of the more often used Ignalu trails. He veered to one side, avoiding the outcropping entirely. However, he had no time to breathe before he saw a jagged precipice straight ahead of him.Still this was no trouble for Lhii, though it might have killed a less experienced lava surfer. His board turned in the opposite direction, and he began to pick up speed on the crest of a lava flow.All at once, while he was still rising on the crest of a lava flow, Lhii’s board slammed against something hard and sharp. Lhii had just enough time to look down before he was thrown from his board- and into the lava below.There was no time for him to think, only a moment of shock, then blistering pain.And then Lhii was gone.---“We searched for hours,” said Vakama. “You do not remember, any of you, but we finally found his body, not washed into the craters below as you might think, but caught on the edge of a jagged rock in the middle of the trail. And so it was that Lhii, greatest of the Matoran lava surfers and second only to Tahu himself perished. He was fondly remembered by all Ta-Matoran.”As his tale concluded, Vakama turned away. He wondered how he would ever tell the crowd of Ta-Matoran who had listened to his story of “Lhii” that there had never been such a Matoran, but a Toa and Turaga instead called Lhikan.And how he would ever bring himself to tell the tale of Metru Nui- and the reason that the Matoran had to return there one day.

tumblr_static_3xklkaa5baucs4kwgosokcw0o_

XATEREX MULTIVERSE STORYLINE

Volume I: Into the Darkness (PDF / Review / CBW PageVolume II: The Shadows Coil  (Review / CBW Page| Volume III: The Darkest Light  (Review / CBW Page| Volume IV: Shattering (Review / CBW Page) Volume V: The Final Prophecy  (Review / CBW Page| Volume VI: Eternal Darkness (PDF / Review / CBW Page)

Xaterex Art Blog | Xaterex Wiki

Member Name: PyrrhonTheme: The Legends of LhiiWord Count: 595Story: Never ForgottenThe Turaga of fire looked wearily up at those around him. The group was smaller than it had been when last he offered to tell a story of the brave Ta-Matoran. Less had shown up, each time the group was smaller. Now only a few remained eager to hear the tales. Those were the ones for whom he did this, so that his hero was never left forgotten.But it seemed that the dark times held sway over the people now, more than the legends of the past. History was losing importance, and that saddened the wise Vakama far greater than anyone could measure. But there was still a small hope for the legends of heroes, those who still listened to the tales of old. They were the reason he continued, and he hoped that they continued to arrive each time the stories were told.There in the front sat the one Matoran who had come to hear every legend, not missing a single meeting. He was always putting aside what he was doing to hear the story of Lhii, even returning from his travels across the island only to hear a small glimpse into the past. Vakama smiled wearily as he watched Matoran adjust his Pakari. Then, the Turaga closed his eyes, inhaling the smoky air to prepare himself.The fire flickered as the story began anew. Vakama's staff swung through the fire, changing the shape of the flames. To those watching in awe, they could see the rolling waves of lava in the coiling blaze. "And so we began another tale of the great Matoran Lhii."---The blazing waves of molten stone lashed and churned as a single Lavaboard dared to brave the burning river. There was Lhii, eyes staring with determination at the task looming ahead of him. The strongest surge of lava pushed him forward as he readied himself for what he had to do."Three."The tunnel grew closer and closer, he could see where the mining tools had broken through, and it was coming up quickly. Not far up the tunnel was where the cave had collapsed, sealing this end off."Two."Lhii could make out the Matoran pushing himself back on the ledge, looking down at the lava only inches below. Fear, that was what crossed the Onu-Matoran's face as he watching the liquid fire. Lhii could see a small part of the mining cart as it slowly melted away."One."Lhii leaned to the side, balancing his board as best he could, readying himself. He only had a single chance at this, the waves behind him would overcome the small ledge and take the Matoran with them."Now."His arm shot out, grabbing the shoulder of the Onu-Matoran and pulling him onto his board. It took all of his skill to keep both from plunging beneath molten waves. Now it was just a trip down the waves, and getting the Matoran home safely.He grinned as he swooped down the tunnel of fire. He was enjoying the ride.---Vakama closed his eyes, sitting back as the story reached its end. The few Matoran that were there began to disperse, speaking among themselves. Only one stayed behind, walking over to the wise Turaga.Adjusting his Pakari once again, the grinning Matoran spoke. "Turaga? I want to thank you for the story."The elder smiled, patting his hand on the Matoran's shoulder. "I am glad that the story of Lhii will not go forgotten. Thank you, Takua."With a nodding grin, the Matoran walked away, acting as though he was balancing on a Lava Board as he went.Seeing the sight, even Vakama couldn't help but chuckle.

This is my signature

It has words in it

They don't say much

BZPRPG profiles

Okay, I've actually been planning on writing the Legend of Lhii for a while for B;NG. As an extra incentive, I can get the winner of this contest a pretty good chance of being used in the Makoki Stones B:NG movie, as long as they're okay with it.

Do we post the stories for the new theme here?

Yep! All entries for all the Bionicle themes go here; the COT ones go in the COT topic.newso1.png

Member Name: Takua123Theme: Legends of LhiiWord Count: 526Story: EyesVakama looked around him. Fire from the middle of the amaja circle illuminated the eager faces of matoran, each waiting intently for the turaga of fire to begin. He smiled. Vakama was glad that at least some still wanted to hear the stories of an old turaga. He searched the crowd to find Jaller. He always attended. If only he knew. The turaga thought.With the toa faced against hordes of bohrok, and destruction everywhere, dark times were upon the matoran. Although the matoran were exited for another tale of the great Lhii, Vakama saw something different in the matoran. Vakama relized that most of the faces in the small crowd were anxious, and their eyes seemed opaque and still. It seemed the only real light came from the small fire.Vakama began. "Welcome, my friends, to yet another ledgend of Lhii, the Ta-Matoran of bravery and skill." The fire almost seemed to glow in certain parts, forming a blurry picture. Through the fire the waves lapping the shore of Mata Nui seemed to transform into waves of lava and heat.The Ta-Matoran peered down the river of molten lava. A fairly large wave surged forward. Lhii readied his lava board. This will be fun. In the opposite direction Lhii could see a bank, in which several matoran stood. Some were of his village, and some were just wearly travellers who decided to make a quick stop. Lhii waved to the matoran, and they seemed eager to see him surf.The wave was approaching. Lhii readied his board, but something stopped him. A sharp cracked occured. Lhii looked to the bank to see a chunk of rock that split away. On that rock was a fearful Le-Matoran. Lhii began to ready himself. The Le-Matoran was now in the middle of the river.Vakama looked around at the matoran. They all seemed transfixed on the fire, as if the flame was telling the story. A Po-Matoran looked up at the turaga. "Something wrong turaga?" Vakama shook his head. "No, nothing wrong." He continued.Lhii paddled towards the chunk of rock. He hopped on, and looked at the terrified matoran. "Are you alright?" He replied, a bit shaky. "Oh, ever-great. We wave-surf all the time in Le-Koro." Lhii ignored the matoran. The wave picked up the rock. Balancing it, Lhii began to surf. Swaying back and forth. Eeventually the two matoran reached a nearby bank. The Le-Matoran jumped to shore. "Thank you! You're like a toa-hero!" The matoran ran off, but the words stuck with Lhii, forever.Vakama swiped his staff through the fire. It went out, but it seemed to go on. Many small, bright eyes stared at vakama, and it seemed to him that they lit up the amaja circle. Vakama stood up. "Along with tonight's story comes a lesson." Vakama peered at the many of eyes. "No matter how bad things get, you can help your own kind. The toa came as protectors, and I think we need to learn to protect ourselves." The matoran began to disperse. The Po-Matoran from before came up to vakama, and simply said "thank you."Oh, and are you allowed to enter one of the 12 later? (Say, post the visions one today, the 28th.)

Tu2d6W7.jpg

Member Name: Toa SonisTheme: The Legends of LhiiStory: Courage (Word Count: 453)The Ta-Matoran Lhii ducked under a protruding stalactite. His yellow armor was scorched in places from the bubbling lava around him, but Lhii didn’t mind. This was what he lived for—the thrill of lava surfing. The hot air billowed around him in smoky clouds, lowering visibility. As his board raced across the pool, Lhii noticed something below him. On an overhang next to the lava was a smoky shape; Lhii couldn’t make out exactly what it was. But being as adventurous as he was, Lhii decided to find out.As Lhii drew closer to the shape, still obscured by haze, he perceived that it was crying for help. Lhii recognized the voice as that of one of his guardsmen, Keahi. Briefly he wondered why Jala, his co-captain of the Ta-Koro guard, had let anyone patrol down here. It was dangerous, a place only for the most skilled lava surfers on the island. Fragile arches hung suspended over a dangerous molten river that eventually ended in a steep drop-off. But there was no time to wonder—Lhii had to act.With deft movements the Ta-Matoran steered his board closer to the overhang. At the speed he was going, it would take a lot of effort to stop. But Lhii was confident he could do it. As the moment came closer, Lhii realized with a sudden shock that even he would not be able to stop the board at Keahi’s ledge. Keahi would have to jump.Lhii shouted instructions through the fog. Keahi responded with bravery to the commands of his superior, and prepared to leap. At the last moment, Lhii swerved towards the overhang. As he rushed by, Keahi took a flying leap from his rock to Lhii’s lava board.Now Keahi was safe—for the moment. The two Matoran were on a straight course for the lava falls!Lhii knew he had only one option—to abandon his lava board. With Keahi holding on tightly behind him, Lhii pushed off from the board. For a moment they were suspended over the lava, oblivious to anything but the bank they were headed towards. With a crash, the Ta-Matoran came to rest in safety on the hill of the flow.“And that is our story for tonight,” Turaga Vakama intoned. “Lhii showed courage by saving Keahi. That is our lesson—to emulate his behavior towards our friends and even those we do not like. You are dismissed.”As Matoran began to filter away, Vakama remembered a time shortly before he had become a Toa—when Toa Lhikan had risked his life to rescue him from falling into molten lava. This was Vakama’s way of remembering his hero’s brave actions.For you, Lhikan, he thought.

I shall be saying this with a sigh

somewhere ages and ages hence:

two roads diverged in a wood, and I

I took the one less traveled by

and that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost, The Road Less Traveled

Are we allowed to post the stories later? (like post the Visions and Treasure one today, the 28th)

You can only enter each theme for 48 hours. The entry period for Visions is closed, but you may still enter Treasure until 11:59 PM tonight, EST.If you mean post the stories on BZPower in a topic, sure -- you can post your stories whenever you want. newso1.png

Member Name: xccjTheme: The Legends of LhiiName: Ballad of Lhii (456 Words)In the land the Matoran have claim,In Ta-Koro, the village of flame,On the island of Mata NuiThere lived a Matoran named LhiiLava surrounded the villageWhose heat the Matoran did pillageBut they avoided where the lava churnedIn fear that they would get burnedBut Lhii was braver than mostAnd he would often boastAbout how he was not scaredTo go where the lava flaredHe tired to craft a deviceThat could travel across lava in triceAnd speed down the lava riverIt was an idea that made his pals quiverA surf board he decided to adjustMade of metals that would not combustBut before the board could be testedTuraga Vakama protested“That board is a danger,” he said“And if you fall off, you are dead.And as such I cannot permitFor you to experiment with it.”Although his plan was now bustedTuraga Vakama was one that he trustedSo Lhii stored his surf board awayBut swore that he’d test it somedayThen came the mighty Rahi attackWhich pushed all the Matoran backOnto their village islandWhere they had to make their last standThe Rahi gathered on the ridgeAnd then destroyed the village bridgeLeaving Ta-Koro cut off and in perilAnd hope went down in a spiral“We need to call out for help,”A lava farmers did yelp“But the lava just cannot be crossed.And that means that we all are lost!”Lhii pushed to the front of the clanAnd announced “I have a plan.”On my lava board I will rideAnd find help from the outside.”Before anyone could protestLhii started off on his questHis board surfed the lava like waterAnd cut down the stream like an augerHe made some excellent savesAs he surfed on the lava’s wavesMatoran watched him surf in frightUntil he rode out of sightTa-Koro prepared for the siegeAnd even a potential breachBut they couldn’t fight endlesslySo all of their hope was in LhiiThe Rahi were there for three daysAnd the village they prepared to razeBut the beasts’ efforts were just for nilWhen many Matoran appeared on the hillThe Matoran were from all aroundTheir cries fill the air with soundThey charged down the hill hastilyAnd leading their charge was LhiiThe Rahi were swiftly defeatedAnd those that survived retreatedThe Matoran, together and unitedWere quite the force to be sightedAnd thus Ta-Koro was savedAnd records of Lhii’s feat were engravedAnd all the Matoran across Mata NuiLearned of the legendary surfer named Lhii

Member Name: Legolover-361Theme: The Legends of LhiiWord Count: 600Story: Lhii and the Grain HunterThis tale occurred many moons ago, before you all came to the island Mata Nui...When Ta-Matoran checked the village’s food stores the morning after our weekly harvest, they had all vanished. It was widely believed that a Matoran had stolen the food, and so for the next week’s harvest, I stationed two guards by the stores; both guards awoke the next day with dents in their Kanohi and claw marks on their limbs.I knew no Matoran could leave such marks, and so I ascertained a Rahi was entering the village.Lhii was still, as my friend Matau would say, “leaf-stuck” — fun-loving, always with his head in the clouds. He was known then not for heroism, only for his lava-surfing skills. But that week, he was in a sullen mood; he refused to enter a lava-surfing competition and instead visited me during my meditation. He told me that without action, Ta-Koro’s society would kneel under the pressure of dissidence. I agreed with him, but what was I to do?After days of persuasion, Lhii convinced me to assign more guards to the stores. Reluctantly, I concurred, armed Lhii and several other Ta-Matoran appropriately, and stayed awake during a long and anxious night.The next morning, Lhii and another Matoran knocked on my door. Upon answering, I was told that the Rahi had struck again. Lhii had seen it clearly: a lithe quadruped with claws on its extremities, an extended neck, and a series of spikes along its spine. I had heard about sightings of such a creature before, but it was Lhii who called it a Grain Hunter. He said that it had entered and navigated the village like a shadow; it had then come upon the Matoran guards and struck down three before the other four had driven it out of Ta-Koro.At a loss for ideas, I asked Lhii for a course of action. He paced until, at length, he stopped and explained: I was to assemble a great lava-boat constructed from the same materials as lava-boards, and dangle it over the largest lava flow available; the week’s harvest was to be placed in the lava-boat and a trail leading from Ta-Koro’s gates to the boat. The Rahi would follow the trail and enter the boat, which would fall into the lava flow and bring the Grain Hunter into the ocean.I agreed. The Ta-Matoran and I spent five days constructing a boat large enough; on the sixth day, we took a small part of our harvest and placed it in the boat, leaving the rest with farmers. Lhii volunteered to lay out the trail and watch for the Grain Hunter the night of the seventh day. I joined him, and we lay in wait.We waited till our eyes were heavy. Only then did the Grain Hunter come. It sniffed the food we left out for it and followed the trail. With bated breath, Lhii and I followed.It stopped at the precipice of the boat — I worried, but in vain, for the Rahi entered the boat. I heard a yelp as the boat tipped into the lava, and then silence as the boat was borne from Ta-Koro.Free of the Rahi, the rest of our grain stores were brought into Ta-Koro. That week, Matoran celebrated our victory over meals laden with grains. Lhii’s name was mentioned but sparingly; even so, I knew of his certainty to become someone more.Lhii was still known as a Ta-Matoran then. Now, we know him as a hero. All it took was a catalyst. Remember that, all of you.

Edited by Legolover-361

Member Name: MaganarTheme: The Legends of LhiiWord Count: 421Story: The Virtues of LhiiYou all know the tales, tales of Lhii:The Matoran lava surferwho felt nothing but a great gleewhen gliding over deadly heattrusting only his lava boardhis reflexes, and his quick feet.Despite all his skill, it was Lhiiwho always remembered the needsof the whole. Lhii knew unitywas the key to survival hereand always helped his home Korowhere he’d learnt to surf without fear.Lhii was always modest: Dutyit seemed, was what he fell back to.“I surf because it is trulya great way to bring glory hometo Ta-Koro each day,” he’d say.“I would never leave here and roam.”Lhii never once questioned his fateNot even when the smolderinglava claimed him, on that sad date.He was at peace with destiny,content with his exciting lifeHe was happy to be “just Lhii.”Lhii had held the three virtues dearand that is why he’s legend nowAlways remember and keep near:Unity, duty, destiny.Trust in those three virtues todayand one day your name may just beas renowned as the name of Lhii.Turaga Vakama glanced around the amaja circle as the verses drew to a close. Even as the effervescent Matoran dispersed, they whispered to one another, excitedly drawing wild conjectures about the adventures of Lhii. Turaga Vakama fed them nothing but tale after tale of Lhii’s skill and heroism. The Ta-Matoran would all look around themselves in wonderment, pondering and going And to think, he was one of us!It was amusing to Vakama, the sole being in Ta-Koro who knew the truth. He liked it this way. Unable to recall Lhii, the Matoran were forced to accept everything their Turaga said about him as the irrefutable truth. They revered Lhii and showed the utmost respect for the allegedly deceased Ta-Matoran.It’s the least I can do for you, Lhikan, Vakama thought. What better way to teach the virtues of unity, duty, and destiny than with the tales of a fictitious character based on the being who, in Vakama’s eyes, best exemplified those three concepts? Well, he realized, the best way would be to tell them the actual stories of the formerly mentioned being… but this method would have to suffice.The one with the visionswill tell tales of phantasmsto guide the decisionsof those living by chasmsof lava and great heat.The teller? VakamaThe phantasm? LhikanAn wise, old TuragaRemembering Lhikan – – the hero of days past.

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.

Name: Danska: Shadow MasterTheme: The Legends of LhiiWord Count: 599Title: Lost in the Woods“You have all heard the tales of Lhii's skill and lavaboarding prowess. Today I shall tell you a different tale. One of bravery and courage.” Vakama cleared his throat. “The Charred Forest is a treacherous place, filled with many dangers. There are some who can walk its paths safely, and many who cannot. It was into this forest that one of Lhii's friends, seeking to prove his bravery, ventured. He did not know the forest, and so he became lost. The next morning, when he had not returned, Lhii entered the forest to search for him, though he did not know the way either.“Much time past in the forest, and still Lhii had not found his friend. Hunger and thirst came upon him, but still he searched. Even as the light began to dim, he did not give up. He searched on. And so it was that as the final light of day was lost beneath the horizon, a mysterious voice spoke to Lhii.” At this, Vakama's voice deepened, becoming a shallow, gravelly sound.“'Your friend is lost. He has strayed too far and cannot leave. But with my help, he can be found again.'”“'And what would you ask in return?' said Lhii, for he knew better than to trust that which he could not see.”“'A favour, no more. One day I shall ask something of you, and you shall do it. That is all.'“'Will you lead us out of the forest? For as you see, I too am lost,' said Lhii.“'I shall guide you, but only if you agree to serve me when I ask,' the voice replied.“'lead my friend and I from this forest, and I shall do whatever you ask of me.'“'then follow the wind, and you shall find your friend' said the voice. At that moment, a strong breeze started. Lhii followed and, sure enough, he soon found his friend huddled under a tree. The two embraced each other, glad at last to be reunited, but the voice soon returned.“'I have led you to your friend. Agree to serve my will, and you shall be free. Refuse, and you shall be trapped in this forest for all eternity!'“But Lhii had tricked the voice. 'I am no fool. I knew that I would become lost, and so I marked the trees as I walked. I can find my own way, and need no help from you.'“The voice erupted with a thunderous roar. 'You agreed to serve me, Lhii! I have led you to your friend and now, you must do what I demand!'“'Recall my words, spirit. I agreed only to serve you if you led me from the forest. But you shall not lead me. I am Lhii, greatest lava surfer in all Ta Koro! I know you for what you are, spirit, and the will of Makuta shall never be mine! We Matoran shall never give up until we are free of you, and free we shall be!' With that, Lhii and his friend ran from the forest, leaving the howls and curses of Makuta behind them.“And so it was that Lhii braved the wrath of Makuta himself, all to save but one Matoran.”Before returning to his hut, Vakama turned once more to the Matoran. “Take from this tale what you will. It is for you they are told, and it is you who must learn what they mean, to you and to all Ta Matoran.”

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

Mmm, yeah I'll take a crack at this. Can't be any worse than my other contest failures. XDHeads up, though: This story isn't directly being told by Vakama, exactly. It's more of a "Lhii's influence on the matoran of Mata Nui" kind of perspective. Actually, a decent amount of thought went into constructing this story. I hope someone likes it. XDMember Name: Tekulo: Toa of GalesTheme: The Legends of Lhii (#3)Word Count: 600Story:There once was a matoran with yellow hands, yellow feet and a yellow mask. Yes, yellow appeared to be his signature color. This matoran loved many things, but the thing he loved most was the thrill of surfing. The wind in his face, the heat of fire over his body and the speed, oh the speed! How he loved it all.He turned his board sharply to the left as the next wave approached. Moving with the flow of the surf, he began to accelerate. The only thought in this matoran’s head was speed. Yes, he had to move faster, faster.Soon the matoran was a mere blur to the world and the world was a spectacular blur to the matoran so much so that he could no longer see clearly. It was in this carelessness that the matoran fell with a grim splash.---Cough. Cough. Wheeze.“Easy there, fire-spitter. You may be fast, but not even you can breathe water like Toa Gali.”Jaller tried to clear his eyes of the sea-water and looked toward Naho bay. His companion was not ten feet from him bobbing on a surfboard; her voice was all too familiar.“Haha, you’re one to talk, Hahli. You’ve had quite a few wipe-outs yourself.” Jaller raised a brow at the ga-matoran.---A sharp sting burst through the matoran’s side. It was followed by another sting in his shoulder and one on his leg. The pain was immense, yet it had to be endured at all costs.Faster… I need to move faster. The thought was the only hope the matoran had to forget his pain. A dark buzzing filled the air with the sound of impending doom. The distance he had covered from his home was great indeed. He knew his duty; he had to keep moving.A blur of lava was the last sight the matoran would realize.---The sun was setting on the beach as Jaller and Hahli collapsed, exhausted.“You know, you’re normally not that reckless. What came over you today?” The blue matoran looked to her friend with a cheeky smile.“… Well, today just seemed too good to waste…” Jaller looked off into the distance almost in a trance. A dark cloud loomed over his head as he spoke.“Hmm? … Jaller… What’s on your mind?” Hahli’s eyes grew concerned.“…Hahli, have you ever heard of a matoran named Lhii?” The words he spoke sounded mournful and grey.“…I can’t say I have.” Hahli looked down at the sand.“Lhi was a ta-matoran. He was the Captain of the Guard before me. There are many stories of him in Ta-koro. He was a legend; he could surf through lava like it was water! Turaga Vakama said he would be second only to Tahu even today.” Jaller spoke with a mixed sense of pride and wistfulness.“What happened to him?”“Hoto. There was a swarm of hoto plaguing Ta-Koro. According to Turaga Vakama, Lhii managed to find the swarm’s queen. He picked it up with a kohli stick and attempted to lure the swarm out of the village through the lava. Lhii managed to save the village, but the swarm was too much for him, and he… fell…” Jaller’s words had a certain rising and falling as he spoke.“…I never knew there was a matoran like that on Mata Nui.” Hahli shared Jaller’s mood as they both looked up towards the night sky.“… I’ve got some big shoes to fill, Hahli…”Hahli gave a soft smile and rested a hand on his shoulder.“We all do.”

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

Member name: Space: Ocean of AweTheme: The Legends of LhiiStory: A Tale of Uncommon CourageMatoran await, anticipating, as the Turaga begins. "Today, I would like to share with you a side of Lhii you have never heard of. We all know about Lhii the brave, adventurous, skillful, and hardworking Matoran. Today I will tell you of Lhii, the kind and generous.""Of everything Lhii owned, of all his lava surfing trophies and medals, only one possession truly mattered to him: his first lava board, moulded from protosteel, hung on his wall for all to see, but for none to touch. Every month, he would retrieve that board from his wall, walk down to the lava flow, and ride. Matoran would put aside their duties to watch him ride, more graceful than a Rahi whale. I have stood, on occasion, at the banks of the lava flow to watch him, his perfect balance, precise body movements. After some time spent riding, he would return to his home and polish his board, gently caressing it with a soft cloth until it shone like a lightstone."One such day, while Lhii Was cleaning his lava board, a Matoran knocked at his door. He greeted a Ta-Matoran, formerly part of the Guard, Ferna was his name, who sustained an injured leg from a battle with an agitated Kikanalo. Lhii welcomed his friend into his house, and they walked past various trophies and prized lava boards, into his sitting space."Ferna wanted to take lava boarding lessons with him. Lhii was doubtful at first, "Your leg won't pain you?" But agreed to do his best to help an old friend. He soon found that this would be no easy task."He first thought to use a balance-board, designed for stability, however Ferna would have to lean most of his weight on his injured leg. The slalom board lacked stability, and no other boards were found to fit Ferna's leg. The disabled Matoran hid his disappointment as he returned home. He had hoped, with all his heart, that he could experience some freedom from his handicap through lava surfing."Lhii had fitted countless Matoran with the perfect lava boards such that he could find the perfect match for a Matoran within minutes. Although Ferna posed a challenge with his injury, Lhii knew there was a match for him. It wasn’t a matter of finding the match, it was a matter of finding the courage to suggest such a match. He sat down on a stool, and gazed at the opposite wall, where his lava board hung, like a painting, radiant as a lightstone. Flawlessly moulded, unrivaled balance, while maintaining a perfect speed. Adjustable foot grips made it fit for anyone to ride."It was the perfect match, and he knew it. Could he give it up, the board on which it all began, which he spent hours every day polishing, fine tuning. As he thought about his friend, limping toward his home, how he had valiantly stepped into the kikanalo’s path, saving his life, Lhii realized that he must do it; he would hate himself for all eternity if he didn’t."The next day, Lhii watched and instructed Ferna through the motions. “Lean to the side as if you intend to touch the lava...that’s it...now the other side...” Ta-Matoran stopped to watch this extraordinary sight, eyes darted from the legendary lava board that this disabled Ta-Matoran rode so gracefully, to the yellow Matoran observing from the bank. Lhii smiled and waved; never had he felt so satisfied.”Matoran smile as Vakama concludes his tale of uncommon courage and kindness.~~~~~Word count: 600

"Baby, in the final analyses, love is power. That's where the power's at."

Tumblr

Twitter

Wattpad

Yeah...I kinda got beaten to the punch as far as this style went. Whatever. Mine's kinda different. :PMember Name: Thunder on the MountainTheme: The Legends of LhiiWord Count: 597Story: Lhii, the Rama, the Maiden and the MountainLhii was the strongestOf Ta-Koro’s guardsAnd the greatest fire-surfer to liveHe fought off Makutas beastsRode through a bitter heatAnd his skills, he used only to give.For Lhii was a gentle soulKind at heart stoneWho judged many a matorans fate.With many tales for himAnd honours adorn himThe greatest I now relateWord spread of a ladyFrom Ga-Koro’s navyWho’d been lost near Ko-Wahi’s coldLhii packed up his broadswordAnd always his surfboardTo set off for the mountains of oldFrom bio, to kio,To mio he travelledAtop a Vako beasts backHe walked by instinctTracing no footstepsHe was given no such thing to trackOn the banks of the Hura MafaHe found his first clueThe wreck of the boat she had usedOnly few signs of a struggleSaw Lhii the great hunterWho was quickly growing more confusedStill no footsteps remainedFrom when she had surelyLeft behind her wrecked watercraftSo Lhii the warrior notedThe claw-stroke torn intoThe inside of the large raftRahi, he knew, and it tookNot long to noteThe beast that struck must have flown away‘A Nui Rama!’ He decidedAnd set off to findThis villager who’d been forced astraySo into the mountainLhii continued to rideForcing his way through the snowHe cared not for itBut he would endure itThough his pace grew ever more slowFatigue began to claimThe great heroes mindThough his honour kept him in pursuitHe would not returnUntil he’d saved this maidenOr his duty to protect would be moot.Luck struck upon himOr otherwise soAt the bottom of a narrow mountain passWhen two Rama set upon himAnd with sword in handHe fought back to their great flying mass.In moments he struck downThe first of his foesBut the second still buzzed overheadThinking fast as he couldLhii dropped his swordAnd was dragged off (to his poor Vako’s dread)Was it madness or weakness?That compelled such a heroTo perform such a foolhardy feat?Neither, for in his handLhii still held the surfboardAnd in his mind his plan grew completeTo the top of a mountainLhii was taken.To a cave that served as a nestThere he found the poor ladyOf the Ga-Koro navyWho had served as the subject of his quest.From the moment he was droppedTo the floor of the caveLhii acted as no other wouldHe called to the MatoranTo run toward himTo escape her entrapment if she couldWith all the force he could musterLhii hefted his boardTo batter the Rama who took him.He threw down his the toolTook the maiden in his armsAnd over the cave edge he did skimTo the horror of his passengerLhii did glideAlong the steep mountainsideOff the ridges he bouncedOn the ice he slipped upBut unfalteringly he went on to ride.At the foot of the mountainHis Vako now waitedFor his master to return to his saddleLhii skidded to a stopLet down the Ga-MatoranWho was most understandably rattledThis has been the tale of LhiiWho journeyed off farTo save someone he knew notThrough the songs of the air-folkAnd the tales of the TuragaHis deeds will main un-forgot*Musician Sanso’s musical adaptation of Vakama’s tale.

Edited by Thunder on the Mountain
exo-toa_battle.jpg

Member Name: Panty AnarchyTheme: The Legends of LhiiWord Count: 560Story: The Beast of Mata Nui

The Beast of Mata Nui

Gather, friends of the flame, and listen to the story of the brave Lhii. Listen to the story of Mata Nui’s Unity:Once, long ago, not long after the mighty Mata Nui was placed under his deep slumber, and before the Makuta began to attack our settlements, our island home suffered from a great tribulation.The specific details of how it began are unclear. Some Matoran say that a beast was birthed from the pit of the Mangai. Others, (mostly Ko-Matoran) report that villagers from other Koro disturbed a large block of ice in the frozen mountains north of the Mangai, releasing the beast from its prison.Whatever its origin, a monstrous Rahi was released. This creature had an incredibly high body temperature and an immense hunger for destruction. Easily towering over Kane-Ra and other Rahi, this beast easily rampaged through the island for some time, beginning in the underground tunnels of Onu-Koro. It proceeded to wreck its way through the southern parts of the island. It appeared unstoppable.Back in Ta-Koro, clever Lhii knew he had to do something before the Rahi attacked the village. He trusted the Ta-Matoran and knew they were all reliable in a confrontation, but he knew that they would too be overwhelmed without aid.So Lhii traveled in the days before the beast reached Ta-Koro. He traveled to Le-Koro, where he enlisted the aid of expert Gukko riders under a skilled Le-Matoran captain. He traveled to Ko-Koro, where he recruited the help of some of the villagers there. Risking a dangerous trek through the mountains, they made their way back to Ta-Wahi with a cargo of frozen equipment just in time.Combining their resources, the guards of Ta-Koro and the forces from Ko-Koro and Le-Koro fought to keep the beast at bay. The winged riders distracted the beast, while the Ko-Matoran barraged the beast with their already-melting weapons. The extreme cold of them only made the beast angrier, however. The Matoran were eventually forced to withdraw into Ta-Koro.For several days, the village was in siege. Within the walls of Ta-Koro, discontent was in the air. The Ko-Matoran resented being confined to the fiery village, and tempers flared. Throughout, however, Lhii did his best to keep them all content. He spoke of their Duty to protect the island, of the Destiny they had not yet reached, and of the Unity they needed to accomplish their goals. He was a source of inspiration.At the end, when it looked like the beast would finally break through the defenses, a large force of Ga-, Onu- and Po-Matoran, hearing of the situation at Ta-Koro, rushed to the village. Other Ko-Matoran and Le-Matoran, wishing to aid their friends, also reached Ta-Koro. Unified and wishing to finally put an end to the beast’s rampage, the people from all six Koro had come together.Leading the charge from within Ta-Koro, Lhii’s forces pushed the Rahi back. The combined efforts and expertise from the six tribes fought bravely against the beast. This time, they persevered.The beast was forced out into the sea, where the waves consumed it. The Matoran of Mata Nui were safe, for the time being, and Lhii’s leadership and adherence to the Three Virtues was widely recognized. As we know, he would go on to accomplish many good things for his village.

AXKP5KC.png

Member Name: ZippyWharrgarblTheme: The Legends of LhiiWord Count: 600Story: Inferno

INFERNO

~~~“Gathered friends,” Vakama began, “Listen again to the legend of Lhii the Matoran.”Neir sat with the other Matoran, gathered about the Turaga of Fire as he stared into the darkness surrounding them. Neir, however, gazed at the leaping licks of flame in the centre of the rough circle they had formed, mesmerised. Something about the light of a fire frightened him, for reasons he could not explain. He had asked Vakama about it, in hushed and embarrassed tones, and the Turaga had smiled and explained that it was all right to be afraid. Though he did not elaborate further, Neir had felt oddly comforted.As the Turaga spoke, an odd feeling came over him. A memory, perhaps? It felt like a memory of a dream, far-off and blurred. Still, it drifted over him, and he closed his eyes, but he still saw the warm glow of the fire…“One dark, stormy night, a bolt of lightning slashed down from the heavens and set a supply of wood and tar alight, causing angry crimson flames to run free amongst the homes of sleeping Matoran. Among the buildings that were being engulfed by the flames was the home of a quiet, well-mannered Matoran, who did not escape like the others did…”~~~FIRE!Neir screamed, black, deathly smoke choking him off. Around him, there was nothing but flames, leaping higher and higher, licking at the roof and devouring the walls. Sinister shades of orange pierced every corner, every single thing in sight engulfed by it.~~~“It seemed that all hope was lost, when Lhii ran from the darkness and leapt into the flaming doorway like the Makuta himself was on his heels. But no fear crossed his eyes as he searched for the Matoran…”~~~There was a crash, and a voice shouting his name. Neir screamed at it, stumbled towards it, but even as he did, a tall figure ran at full speed towards him. Red and gold armour slammed into view, but Neir was grateful. He held the figure tightly.~~~“Lhii found the Matoran, and bravely helped him escape the savagely burning house…”~~~Neir felt himself being placed on the ground but he did not dare let go. Not until he heard a gentle, calm voice tell him it was all right, and he was safe. Neir looked up at a golden mask, smiling gently, and his grip slackened. The figure stood and walked towards the flames, and as he did, he glowed, and he absorbed the flames into his own body…~~~“And, with the Matoran safe, he used his wits to expunge the flames, by… Am I boring you, Neir?”Neir awoke with a snort. Around him, Matoran were chuckling, and he ducked his head as low as he could. “S-Sorry Turaga, I… I’m sorry.”“Quite all right, Neir. Now, where was I…?”~~~After the tale was told and the other Matoran were either leaving or gone, Neir gulped and walked up to Turaga Vakama, who was sitting and staring up at the stars. “Turaga, I’m really very sorry, I was dreaming, and-““- It is all right, Neir. Tell me, what did you dream?”“It was the story, Turaga, I think. I was somewhere with lots of fire, and then someone saved me. But he didn’t wear a Pakari, he wore a Hau. And he was very tall, for a Matoran.”Vakama smiled, his eyes twinkling like the stars he was gazing at. “Ah. That would make sense, I think.”“What was that, Turaga?”“Nothing, Neir. Nothing.”

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

Member Name: Astris JanusTheme: The Legends of LhiiWord Count: 489Title: The Impossible Once, there was a Matoran called Lhii. As you all might know by now, Lhii was the greatest lava surfer in all of Ta-Koro, second only to Tahu. Lhii just had a sense for the ebbs and flows of the lava, as if he could feel Mangai Volcano’s whims in his bones. I believe that once saw him do the impossible. The lava was particularly active that day, and large amounts of smoke billowed from the brim of the volcano. I was taking a stroll somewhere above Ta-Koro and there I saw him, standing on an outcropping overlooking a steady stream of lava, board in hand. I chose not to make my presence known, merely observing him. He had his eyes closed, breathing deeply. He appeared to be waiting, but I had no idea what for. We waited for another minute or two, before his eyes shot open. “Now,” I heard him say, as he jumped off the ledge and onto his board. Suddenly, lava erupted from a gap in the volcano and the lava became much more erratic. He took to the change in intensity almost instantaneously, swiftly manoeuvring his board, avoiding any sudden eruptions and pockets that formed. It was a majestic sight; the glow of the lava playing off his yellow armour and Pakari, flames trailing behind his board, the occasional spark thrown off the edges. He turned just as a wave broke, and rode through the middle of the curl, keeping just ahead of its collapse. He seemed to reach out, just nearly touching the lava as he passed it. I could see that the lava was heading into another gap in the volcano. Lhii was heading straight for it. I knew that the breach would lead into a tunnel filled with magma. I tried to call out to him and warn him, try to make him change his course, but he didn’t hear me. He just ducked and entered the gap. I think I nearly choked. I was sure that Lhii was gone. No one could survive that. … After a while, I turned to return to Ta-Koro, and inform the other Matoran of what had happened. But there was a rumble from below that stopped me in my tracks. I turned, and saw another opening below. The lava swelled for a moment… And then it erupted! And with it followed Lhii! And for a moment, he flew… … Lhii landed on another stream and came to a halt, stepping off onto a bank. I met up with him and we returned to the village. I never did find out how he managed to survive that. Lhii showed me that nothing was impossible that day.

Turaga Vakama finished his story and watched as the Matoran left. He paid special attention to Jala, as he met up with Tahu who had also listened. Lihkan, he thought, my old friend. Your legacy shall live on…

~~~

Right, new forum, new signature. Or, at least, a reboot.

20795.jpg

Dual Sides; An Expanded Multiverse Epic

Bionicle Anime: Toa Mata

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success."
- Anonymous

Member Name: fishers64Theme: The Legend of LhliWord Count: 416Story: The Lava BreaksIt was another ordainary day on Mata Nui, and the work of lava farming was going well. Lhli, our valiant Matoran and good friend, was taking a minute of rest from the dangerous work, as it was his turn to keep watch for fiendish beasts down by the lava breaks.But this time, not all was peace and quiet as we thought it would be. Dark shapes appeared over the side of the crater, accompanied by ferocious, tiny insects, goading them on. Lhli sounded the alarm, but there was one Matoran who refused to leave. It would only take a moment, he said, to finish his work.Lhli wasn’t about to leave his Matoran friend behind. But the Rahi were coming closer, and closer, so close that he could hear the buzz of the fireflyers and see the glint of the Kofo-Jaga’s stingers. And yet his friend was absorbed in his work, never noticing the approaching danger.The fireflyers were inches from his armor…the Kofo-Jaga were tensed and ready to strike…when, at the last second, the Matoran was knocked off his feet, swept down the channel by Lhli and his lava surfboard!The Kofo-Jaga gave chase, but they could not keep up with our valiant hero, who flew down the lava breaks faster then a speeding Mahi. Oh, he was faster even than the fireflyers that day.Lhli went through various tunnels, going faster and faster, trying to lose the Kofo-Jaga, but they stayed right on his tail. He was going his fastest yet, almost back to the village, when he realized he was on the path to the lava falls!Lhli had just one chance – the safety stones in front of the falls. And yet – the Matoran whom he had saved would plunge to his death.The Rahi were coming…At the last second, Lhli took his brother and set him on the stones. The lava current ripped him away. The Rahi, blind beasts that they were, followed him, plunging into the depths below.And that is how Lhli, the bravest and strongest of Matoran, met his end. No Matoran has laid eyes on him since. The price for our village’s safety that day was one of our finest warriors. There will never be another like him. * * *“Turaga” a Matoran asked, “who was Lhli’s friend?”Vakama shook his head. “It is not wise to speak ill of your brothers. The Matoran I speak of is among you. Best to put it aside.”

Member Name: Zosia DarrTheme: Bionicle- The Legend of LhliWord Count: 506Story: Who Is Your Hero?“Turaga Vakama?” A small voice called out in the street.“Yes, little one?” Turning from the doorway of the building he was exiting, the Turaga saw a young mask of a Matoran child, and across the street, on the opposite sidewalk, a small throng of Matoran.“My little sister, she wants to tell you that you’re her biggest hero ever.” The spokes-Matoran pointed to his group of friends to a hidden Kanohi Akaku in the back of the group, ducking away shyly. “But she’s too scared to tell you,” He added in a whisper.The Turaga of Fire smiled beneath his mask. He began crossing the street towards the group. There were at least half a dozen of them wandering around in the empty mid-morning square, since all their parents were working this time of day.“But, uhh, Turaga?” The child hastened to catch up to his elder. “We also wanted to hear a story, if you have time.” As they reached the cluster of Matoran, their little masks bobbed up and down in agreement.“I’ll always have time for you,” Vakama asured them, offering his beaten-armored hand to the little sister. She turned her warm orange Kanohi up to look at him, still timid, and he smiled into her soft blue eyes. “What can I do for you?”The little girl giggled and grabbed his hand in both of hers, practicaly swinging from it as Vakama started to make his way to a carved bench. “Turaga Vakama, who is your hero?” She asked him.Vakama sat down slowly, surprised he didn’t literally creak with age, because he suddenly felt thousands of years older. He knew exactly who his hero was. As his troop settled in around him, he picked out his words carefully.“My hero was warrior. He was brave and strong and corageous. He saved Matoran and Turaga alike, and was loved by all. I had the privilege to meet him personally, and he showed me nothing but kindness. Unity, Duty, and Destiny were all that he lived for. I wish he was here today for you to see, he was truly great.”“What happened to him?”“Did he ever save you, Turaga Vakama?”“Can we see a picture of him?”“Did he fight off Rahi?”“What was his name?”Vakama closed his eyes. It hurt him to keep secrets, even if it was from these younglings, who wouldn’t understand the truth anyways. But, in a way, they already knew his hero. They already knew Toa Lhikan. He was there when they ran around with their miniature Lava Boards. He was there at the annual Lava Surfing competition. He was there in the mask of the brave Captain of the Guard. He was there every day, in Vakama’s gratitude, because if Lhikan hadn’t been there, so long ago, none of them would be living on their blessed Island Paradise. But none of this, they could know.And because of this, Vakama had to say, “Children, why don’t I tell you another legend of Lhii?”

Edited by Zosia Darr

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

Accurate description of this contest for me:last_minute_panic.jpgHad to shorten this one a bit, unfortunately. Original version was over 800 words.Member name: BaltaTheme: Legends of LhiiWord Count: 600Story: InstinctThwick, thwick, thwick, plink. The rock skipped across the water, sending ripples across the peaceful surface of the bay. Lhii glanced down and selected another rock, flat, about the size of his hand. In a well-practiced motion, he drew back his arm, sending the stone flying with a flick of his wrist. Lhii liked it here, alone, in this peaceful bay, hidden from the outside by the cliffs rising up on all sides, impassable save for a single trail of which Lhii alone knew. Out here he could think, something he never had the time or space for back in Ta-Koro. He chose another rock. Threw it. Thwick, thwick, thwick, plink.Crunch.Crunch? Lhii turned casually at the sound, worried mostly that he would have to find another hideout. But no one was there. Shrugging, he chose another rock. Threw it. Thwick, thwick, thwick, plink.CRUNCH.Now that he hadn’t imagined. Lhii stood, truning, grabbing his lavaboard as he did so. Someone – or something – was there, and he didn’t want to meet it unprepared. Cautiously, Lhii made his way for the narrow trail up the rock face. He began to climb.About halfway up he heard it again – CRUNCH! But it was followed by another sound, a muffled sort of cry. Lhii quickened his pace.By the time he reached the top, the muffled cry was no longer muffled, nor was it a cry – it was a full-on scream. The crunches, too, were no longer crunches, but powerful reverberations Lhii could feel through the rock at his feet. A large formation of rock sat atop the ridge, and he dashed around it without second thought – he was moving on instinct now.The scene would have struck fear into any Matoran’s heart, even Lhii. A Muaka in mottled grey-and-brown armor stood before him. Its massive form crouched menacingly, a snarl upon its maw, ready to pounce – but not on him. The Rahi took no notice of Lhii, intent as it was on the Ga-Matoran backed against the wall of rock, cowering in fear. Her screams had died; fear lodging all sound back in her throat.Lhii was afraid, yes. But this did not stop him. His pace never slowed as he dashed for the Rahi. Diving forward, he planted his lavaboard on the ground, and pushing off it into a perfect aerial roll landed on the beast’s back. The Muaka’s attention was on him now as it lunged back and forth, attempting to shake him off. But Lhii hung on.Lhii was positioned atop the Muaka’s neck at this point. In a swift motion, he split the two blades that made up his lavaboard and slammed the butt of one into the Rahi’s temple several times. The blow should have crumpled the Rahi, but the beast seemed scarcely affected. Lhii looked down into its eyes and saw an expression he had hoped never to see again – the look of a creature driven to madness by the Makuta. There was but one way to end this...Lhii dropped the blade in his left hand and grabbed the edge of an armor plate. As the Muaka skidded to a halt, Lhii slipped sideways off the Rahi’s neck, still holding tightly to its armor. An upward thrust, the flash of the blade in the sunlight-Stillness. With a long, wistful glance at the body of the slain Rahi, Lhii retrieved his blades. Cleaned them. Formed them again into his lavaboard.He offered his hand to the Ga-Matoran as she rose unsteadily to her feet. Wordlessly, the two began the long trek back to Ga-Koro.

Edited by Βalta

Q2TtLEz.png

Hey, I have a question.I was thinking of doing a more comedic entry for Legends of Lhii - more of a Parody of Lhii - because I don't really have any serious ideas. So, would that be allowed, or does everything comedic belong in the Comedies forum?Thanks!-Excelsior

bannerwithstrangedevicesmall.jpg

My writings:

The Toa Ekara - Visions A short story. Ga-Koro Mobs My entry for the LSO Comedies Contest. Team Extempore's entry for the LSO Epics Contest

I can only assume that you meant AM, because PM seems a little strange since it was posted past midnight AM - but if I'm missing something (which is a side effect of cross-country road-tripping), then by all means disregard the following entry:Member Name: SumikiTheme: The Legends of LhiiWord Count: 590Story: The Death of LhiiVakama's knees creaked as he slowly lowered himself onto the wooden log that served as his storytelling bench. Tahu's Suva dominated the dimly lighted background, the sparse burnt trees around it towering into an air mixed with ash."Another story, Vakama?"The Turaga of Fire smiled knowingly. "Yes, Takua. Be sure to chronicle this one," he said.In the crowd, Aodhan coughed and raised his hand. Vakama paused before he began, motioning to the Lava Farmer. "I'm sorry to bother you, Turaga, but something's always been bothering me about these stories ..."Vakama felt an inner dread. If he'd screwed something up, or there was a plot hole in the continuity of his stories, the entire Lhii myth would come crashing down upon him."... it's just that, well ... if Lhii was really so great, how come he's not around anymore?"The Turaga felt relief. "That's because he's no longer around. If you all would like, I could tell you that story, but it's ... a painful one."The gathered Matoran nodded solemnly, and Vakama began."It was long ago, on the lava flows of Mangai, that Lhii was going along, just surfing as usual. Nothing unusual had happened for weeks before then, and it didn't feel like anything would happen that day either. A bunch of Matoran were out there, watching Lhii surf or occasionally joining him."But Makuta was up to evil again, and he had sent two malicious Rahi after him. They had stalked him for weeks, but Lhii did not notice them. These Rahi were cunning and powerful, so they had somehow figured out how to dam the main flow. As the flow's level kept going down, Lhii eventually ground to a halt at the rock, on the bottom of where the flow had been. He was the only one down there, since it was later on into the day. The few that were out there with him were up on the shore."Well, they all went back to Ta-Koro to see if they couldn't fetch something to haul Lhii out with, but they left no one behind. They figured that Lhii would be alright on his own. But those Rahi came back--""Sorry, Turaga, but ... what did these Rahi look like?" Aodhan inquired.Vakama smiled. "One was large and green, and looked kind of like a spider. The other was bulky and blue. I don't remember much about them other than that."Anyway, as I was saying, these Rahi jumped into the pit with Lhii. Lhii fought back valiantly, but he could not overcome them. However, a Matoran upflow had noticed the dam and noticed that the excess lava was going to flood the area, just completely wipe it away. So he surfed out there and began to dismantle the parts of the dam that he could."By the time the Matoran realized what he was doing, it was much too late. The dam had already been broken and the lava was going to engulf Lhii. But Lhii saw this, broke from the grip of the Rahi, grabbed hold of his surfboard, and caught some of the rushing lava."But there was too much of it. Lhii could not handle the wave of lava, and got pulled under. The two Rahi, for their efforts, did not make it."Lhii gave his life to save the life of all of you here today," Vakama concluded, a solitary tear running down his cheek. "That's the most important thing."Without a word, or indeed even a sound from anyone seated in the concentric semicircles around him, he got up and slowly ambled away.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Hey, I have a question.I was thinking of doing a more comedic entry for Legends of Lhii - more of a Parody of Lhii - because I don't really have any serious ideas. So, would that be allowed, or does everything comedic belong in the Comedies forum?Thanks!-Excelsior

That should be fine, just as long as it's correct writing with proper grammar and whatnot (in other words, not filled with emoticons and leet and improper grammar like many comedies in the Comedies forum). Just remember that the focus is "The Legend of Lhii" -- if you want to see that legend as something somewhat comedic, then that's up to you. Hope that answers it well.

I can only assume that you meant AM, because PM seems a little strange since it was posted past midnight AM - but if I'm missing something (which is a side effect of cross-country road-tripping), then by all means disregard the following entry:

Ah, yes, I did indeed mean AM. Sorry for the confusion.newso1.png

That should be fine, just as long as it's correct writing with proper grammar and whatnot (in other words, not filled with emoticons and leet and improper grammar like many comedies in the Comedies forum). Just remember that the focus is "The Legend of Lhii" -- if you want to see that legend as something somewhat comedic, then that's up to you. Hope that answers it well.
Okay, thanks a lot. Since I asked that, it seems to have gotten a bit more serious, actually. But I'm glad to hear it's all right.-Excelsior

My writings:

The Toa Ekara - Visions A short story. Ga-Koro Mobs My entry for the LSO Comedies Contest. Team Extempore's entry for the LSO Epics Contest

Odd, mine shaped up to be somewhat comedic also. XDMember Name: Ballistic Jello Pickles (Toa of Dancing)Theme: The Legends of LhiiWord Count: 597Story: And Nothing Happened•••••“Lhii was surfing, like he did any time he wasn't guarding the village or sleeping. After all, his board and his spear were both the only things that felt natural to him... Well, his duty and love for his Koro were natural, too. Yet, you are smart enough to know what I mean, young Matoran.“Where was I? Ah yes! Lhii was surfing. The lava was especially fierce that day, and he was enjoying the thrilling ride between life and death. Now, I will not pardon lava surfing, and still discourage anyone from participating in it. Still, I will readily admit that that I got enjoyment from watching Lhii long ago...“Surfing, right. My mind seems to be wandering today. Anyways, Lhii caught an especially furious wave and went into a wild flip. I was scared, but only for a moment. He came magnificently back to the swiftly flowing magma below him. The bystanders cheered and clapped, and another Matoran that was surfing tried to outdo him. He tried to do a flashy move. Ended up flying off his board.“Time seemed to go in slow motion. The audience gasped. I gasped with them. Then, from seemingly nowhere, Lhii caught his foolish friend and safely transported the scared Matoran to shore. Needless to say, he gave up surfing for quite a while.“Back to Lhii, though. He decided to wrap up that day of lava surfing, and quickly the activity at the river dwindled. Most of the Matoran there were there to watch him anyways. And so the majority of them trickled back to Ta-Koro. Lhii, of course, immediately went to go on duty, even though he was told to take the day off. No one could keep the captain from his guard.“So he patrolled. Lhii went with two of the other guard members to perform the hourly rounds. They were about to check the cable leading to Ko-Wahi when Lhii noticed the cliff upon which they were standing was crumbling. He quickly dove to the side with one of the other Matoran. The other was able to jump out of harm’s way, or so he thought.“It was after the fact that the Matoran realized his dilemma. He jumped off the cliff directly onto the cable... and he was now swinging from the snapped cord, over the massive chasm below him! Needless to say, he was scared out of his wits! He was so shocked that he let go of his lifeline!“That would’ve been the end of him under normal circumstances. However, he was with the brilliant Lhii, a faithful friend in any situation! The brilliant little Matoran had seen the situation coming, and after getting up from his dive, he immediately leaned out, his left hand grasping a sure protrusion and his right reaching for his friend. His deft hand caught his friend’s ankle, and the third Matoran was able to pull them both back onto the ledge safely.“Hmm... what happened next? Oh yes! Lhii and his two friends quickly were able to retrieve the cable with long poles and hooks, and they tied it off so that nobody would accidentally use the broken cable. They went to get supplies, fixed it, and the rest of the day was uneventful.“Now, what is the point of this story? Nothing happened, you say? That’s exactly the point! Lhii was vigilant, and thus nothing happened that day! His acute observation, whether in a fun competition or a routine check, saved multiple lives! Learn from the example of Lhii and be ever vigilant, good Matoran.”(Edited a slight mistake in the first sentence.)

Edited by Ballistic Jello Pickles

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

(My story took on a slight comedic air as well. I feel as a fable it makes sense to . . . make no sense. To a degree.)Member Name: Nuile: Lunatic WordsmithTheme: The Legends of LhiiWord Count: 599Story: Lhii and the Hunters of the Dark This is a tale from many, many years ago, in times more distant than any Matoran can remember, times when I myself was a Matoran. Yes, little ones, I was once a Matoran, like you. Yes, I was a Ta-Matoran. And in those days I could have taught you all a little something about staying out of trouble. But now then.I was keeping watch at the gate, with another Matoran named Nury. Yes, I was a guard. Hush now.It was a calm night. Everything was as normal. The clouds were dark and lazy, and every few moments one would drift over the moon to stanch its silver light, giving way to the deep glow of the lava river.Suddenly we heard an unusual sound. It was a high-pitched, rhythmic metallic beat: clicketty-clacketty-clicketty-clack. Steadily it got closer; clicketty-clacketty--and louder; clicketty-clack.Strange shapes flickered in the shadows. It began playing tricks on my mind. I saw ineffable horrors take shape in the dark. I daren't breathe. And still the sound got louder. Clicketty-clacketty-clicketty-clack.And then with a resounding bellow a Kane-Ra appeared from nowhere and charged us. Shocked but undazed, Nury blew his horn. We held our ground, waiting for reinforcements as the beast charged ever nearer--and nearer--and nearer.In unity we then threw our disks at the beast. Taken by surprised, it stumbled and fell, burning one foot in the river. We had bought the Guard an extra few moments.But still that sound--clicketty-clacketty-clicketty-clack. It was louder than ever. And then its terrible scream rent the air, like a dying Gukko's cry, a shrill screech tinged with malice.We looked up. It stood on the mountainside. It was bigger than an Ash Bear. It was more ferocious than a Muaka. It grinned cruelly down upon us. It was the second biggest Ussal I have ever seen.Then Nury and I fled, hoping reinforcements would arrive any moment. We soon saw this was impossible. The bridge mechanism was damaged; we could fix it, but we would need time. And as the Ussal clawed at the gate, we knew that was something we did not have.Without warning a fast disk flashed past and the Ussal staggered. When we looked out, what do you think we saw? That's right--it was the great warrior Lhii, surfing down the lava river toward us.And then he sprang out of the river, separating his special lavaboard into duel blades. The Ussal screeched and lunged, but Lhii easily deflected its claws with his swords. He retaliated with a blow that knocked the creature off its many feet.Now Nury and I cried out. The Kane-Ra was thundering up behind Lhii. With one glance over his shoulder he leapt into the air, sailing easily over the beast's head to land upon its back. He grabbed the bull by the horns and with his unsurpassed strength forced it to veer off its course, away from us and toward the Ussal.The Ussal screeched and fled. Lhii jumped off the Kane-Ra's back as it and the Ussal blundered away into the night. He hurled a valedictory disk after them to remember him by.And then he turned to Nury and I. We praised and thanked our hero, but he silenced us with a hand."You two are the heroes tonight. You bravely stood your ground, united, and did not flinch from your attackers. You have made Ta-Koro proud."And so it was that Lhii saved me. Without a further word he sprang onto his board and surfed away toward the rising sun.

Edited by Nuile: The Daft Wordbender

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

Wow, one hour before the deadline. I really need to organise myself better.Member Name: Griomire AlbastruTheme: The Legends of LhiiWord Count: 594Story: RemembranceA cold air brushed through Ta-Koro that night. Perhaps to any other village, such a breeze would be considered a heat wave, but to the fire loving residents of this settlement, the change was clear.Turaga Vakama sat alone in his hut, staring deep into the fire that crackled and spat sparks every which way. He closed his eyes and exhaled mournfully.The village elder twisted his head as he heard the footsteps echo against the stone floor. “Jaller,” he breathed. “How might I assist you on this cold night?”“It’s just…I need to know, Turaga,” the newcomer said, looking down at his armoured feet. “I had a dream. And in it, I believe I saw the one you tell tales of. Lhii.”Vakama nodded and turned to face the captain of the guard. “I have no doubt you have many questions, but I am afraid I cannot offer many answers. What did you see in your dream?”Jaller straightened himself out and looked deep into Vakama’s burning crimson eyes. The Turaga was silhouetted against the blazing fire behind him, adding a mystical aura to the secretive elder. “I saw him, Lhii I mean. Except I don’t believe he was as you described him. He went by another name. Lhikan. And he was no Matoran, he was a Toa, just like those you prophesised would save us some day.”Silence settled like dust over the two. Vakama shook his head mournfully. “I believe this has unsettled you. You are wondering what I hide from you in my stories of the adventurous Matoran?” Jaller paused, but eventually responded by nodding uncomfortably. Vakama took a step forward and rested his quivering hand on the Matoran’s shoulder. “Let me assure you that all I keep from you and your brothers is for your own good. And when the time calls for it, when Mata Nui asks it of me, then I will answer all of your questions.”The Ta-Matoran glanced at the hand on his shoulder, then frowned back at the Turaga. “With all due respect, I understand that some secrets are better kept wrapped in mystery, but I must know. Lhii…Or Lhikan…Who was he? What happened to him?”Vakama paused. He looked helplessly into the eyes of the Matoran. His years of experience burdened him and weighed greatly upon his shoulders. Though the two must be roughly the same age, Vakama felt so much older with all he had been through. His body was weak, though his mind remained sharp. As did his memories.He brushed the tips of his fingers against Jaller’s Kanohi mask. The mask of his old mentor. The mask whose origins nobody may know, just yet. “Lhii…He lives on,” he said slowly, keeping his eyes locked on the Ta-Matoran’s before us. “But in our hearts. He is closer than you could imagine. He may have perished, but his spirit is here. I can feel his presence, watching us…”Jaller opened his mouth to say more but shook his head and cast a wary glance at the elder before him. He then decided it would be better to ask no more and merely pardoned his intrusion and bowed. The Matoran turned and left, leaving Vakama to stare mournfully back into the flames. The conversation had left him weary. He sighed heavily, then prepared himself for the trek to locate a messenger. He would send a request to Onewa in Po-Koro, to summon the Turaga across and then…Then Jaller might be convinced to forget all he had learnt. He could not truly know…not yet.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

Wow, one hour before the deadline. I really need to organise myself better.

Actually there's roughly four hours left -- 2:59 AM EST. But hey, the important thing is that you entered! Every entry is very appreciated. newso1.png

Member Name: ExcelsiorTheme: Legends of LhiiWord Count: 600Story:The storyteller began his tale..."'Death to Lhii!' the mob roared. Their leader raised his fist."'All Lhii ever does is surf, while the rest of us actually work for a living! This - ends - NOW!'"'Also, what's with the all-yellow armor?' another Matoran interjected. 'That's just weird.'"The entire mob stared at him. He stared back. 'What?'"'Uh, Takua?' Kapura said... slowly. 'You have a light blue mask.'"'That's different!' the Matoran protested. 'After all, I admit I'm a freak.' Murmurs of agreement were heard from the mob. 'He thinks he's a hero.'"'I'm with Takua!' someone shouted. 'Even if he is a freak!'"The leader of the mob raised his hand again. 'Come on, then!' he cried. 'Let's go to the lava falls!'"The crowd began marching, chanting 'Death - to - Lhii!' as they waved their torches (although I'm not sure what they hoped to set fire to in a volcano) and their lava pitchforks (from their lava farms, of course).""It was late at night, and the only light at the falls came from the glowing lava. A normal Matoran would have been at home, sleeping. But Lhii was not a normal Matoran, had no home, and did not sleep. He surfed."He surfed away on the dangerous lava flows, nonchalantly accomplishing every impossible feat he could think of. Because he was the Best. Surfer. Ever."As he surfed -"The blue-masked Matoran stopped abruptly."You've stopped working again, Takua," Vakama said gently.The circle of listeners melted away. Takua looked at the ground."You caused others to stop work too," The elder continued, still gently."And did I hear you making fun of Lhik- I mean, Lhi?"Takua looked guilty. "Just writing a legend of my own, Turaga," he said, shrugging."Legends are not written,Takua!" Vakama said sharply, and possibly hypocritically. "They are lived." Takua said nothing.A nearby Ta-Matoran, wearing a yellow Hau, stopped working. "He didn't mean any harm, Turaga Vakama," he defended him. "You know Takua - he just can't stop talking."The Turaga looked at him reproachfully. "Am I to understand that you also approved of this - this mockery, Jala? You are of the clan of Lhii!"Takua looked up at that. "He wasn't involved, Turaga. It wasn't his fault - he told me to stop.""Well, that's something, anyway," Vakama sighed. "But that doesn't answer my other question, Takua - why are you mocking the great legend of Lhii?"Takua fidgeted. "I'm sorry, Vakama, I just-" He stopped, told himself the Ta-Matoran Principle was Courage, and started again. "I just don't see why his his legend is so great!""I know he fought Rahi," he hurried, seeing Vakama's expression, "but so has every member of the Guard! Most Matoran have, at least a few times. And I know all about his lava-surfing-" he looked at the Turaga almost defiantly"- but is that all it takes to qualify as a hero? Some athletic ability? Why not make legends about that Po-Matoran, Huki, while we're at it?"His voice died away. "That's - all I was saying, Turaga. Sorry."Vakama sighed."I see your point of view, Takua," he said, "and perhaps it's understandable. But trust me, there was much more to him than that. Jala can be proud to - be of his clan."Now get back to work, Takua."The Matoran gave a subdued nod and hurried to join his friend.Ten minutes later, he was convulsing Jala with a new story, about three Matoran, a kolhii ball, and a Tarakava.But he kept Lhii out of it.

My writings: