Warm Up: Flash Fiction Marathon

Velox

Oh, this was so last minute...I'm not very satisfied, but oh well. Hope it's not too late!Member name: Space: Ocean of AweTheme: Amor omnia vincitWord count: 600Story: The conquest of loveThe politicians faced eachother, their loathing could be felt kilometers away, but each wore a false smile for the cameras. They grip eachothers hands in a handshake, the deal was official, all paperwork signed. As they turned away from eachother, each was swarmed by cameras, reporters. Each refused to answer any questions.There would be temporary peace between the nations, trading would begin once again, but the enmity could not be more plain, the hate clear as day, black as night. Peace treaties had been made in the past, but never lasted; everybody knew that this would go the same way as all other attempts at peace, torn down as the age old dispute arose. Once again, they were proved right.Protests were blocked at every turn in both nations, the people silenced. These important issues had to be dealt with by the men with experience and power, who 'knew what they were doing'. The war must go on until here was a definite winner. But the people still tried to shout out to the government; peaceful protests had turned to riots as the military interfered, peaceful newspaper articles, columbs, and editorials popped up before the authors started going missing.Who started the war, nobody knew. It was said that each side invaded the other on the same day, at the same time. each accused the other, and would not admit to their own treachery. Many believed that the war was a joint plan formed by both nation's leaders.On the day that the war was re-declared for the fifth time, civillians took to the streets en masse, devoid of banners or slogans, no chants or roars, no demands. Just people, millions of them, out on the street as if it was a normal day. No prior organization, each man, woman, and child knew what to do. they marched, together, to the nearest government post.Some walked right into the army base, greeting the soldiers and shaking hands with the generals, thanking them for protecting the country, showing their appreciation at each man's hard work.Others, in the Capitols, walked right into the government buildings, sincerely congratulating their leaders on their performance, thanking them for the service that had been done for the citizens. Informing the politicians that they were no longer needed, that a new senate would replace the old.The largest masses travelled to the border, shaking hands with 'enemy' citizens, showing their love and appreciation of each other, sharing their experiences. Each found that their frustrations were shared, every person felt the same about the war, the government, the politicians.Then, among the crowd, one voice was raised. "Paper, paper-now a pen!" People rushed about, searching for a shred of paper and a pen. A man rose from the crowd, climbing atop a vehicle, to this man belonged that voice. He called for a man or woman from the Other Side to come join him, and when he had company, he spoke once again. "I have with me a pen, a paper, and fellow citizen of the world, and with this I will make peace as no politician can. It is a pen, and not a pencil, so that these words will never be erased." He wrote upon the paper: 'love conquers all, so let it be that love conquers our land.' He then signed his name, and handed the paper to his companion, who signed on behalf of the Other Side.Although the government never admitted an end to the war, the people lived in peace ever after, united under the conquest of love.

"Baby, in the final analyses, love is power. That's where the power's at."

Tumblr

Twitter

Wattpad

Member name: SumikiTheme: Amor Omnia VincitWord Count: 590Story: ReparationsHate is not the answer.No anything remotely profound, but nonetheless true. As a professional athlete once said: they don't think it be like it is, but it do.Hatred was the world's modus operandi. If someone was not the person that another wanted them to be, or did not do something that another wanted them to do, there was a tendency for animosity. People hated things, and hated other people, but there was not love. I didn't think of love as personal relations as much as an antonym for hate.Hate is not the answer, and never will be.I kept thinking these thoughts in a tiny coffee shop, somewhere along the foggy, rainy shoreline of the Pacific Northwest. It doesn't matter much where, as they're all the same even on a good day, but even more so if you're gloomy like I was. If only the world could see things through someone else's eyes, I lamented silently to myself, as I sipped my cooling macchiato. Around me, the patrons of the shop at this later hour were busy tapping away on their laptops, doubtlessly oblivious to anything and everything around them, getting their news from factoid sound bites embedded in a quagmire of RSS feeds.I looked back down at my coffee, then out onto the streets. Even as the hours dragged onwards, and more people went to sleep, people could always be seen outside, walking around. They attended solely to their own business, solely to the instantaneous gratification of their own whims. It was never love; it was always hate. The closest some of these people came to love was clicking a "like" button on some Web site somewhere.Change does not start with the whole. It must always begin with one person, striving to achieve a lofty goal, who then is joined by the people who believe in the same cause. A petri dish could do great things if its residents ever worked together.As I mulled this in my head, I had finished my coffee. The first symptoms of tiredness set in, and I wanted to get back to my apartment before my legs could no longer propel me.That's when a waiter came over. He was not the one who had given me coffee, but it was someone who I recognized."Hey!"Here it comes. I knew he hated me. I kind of hated him too, though I didn't want to. Before I had known it, he'd covertly grabbed me."I don't know who you think you are, coming in here, but don't do that again. I don't want you around."I couldn't feel true hate for the guy. He had a hard childhood. He went from bullying in school to becoming a gang member. We got into a skirmish two years ago, he ended up getting arrested. It was a bad scene. Maybe he was getting out of that life, since he got a job here.Before I knew I did it, I snapped my hands around his wrists, squeezing until his grip relented. As he recoiled, I brushed my jacket off.I then stuck out my hand. He didn't know what to do."Come on, man. It's in the past. Bygones are bygones."He must have stood there for the better half of a minute. Ignoring my hand, he broke into tears, embracing me bodily. I had seen few grown men show that much emotion, but it was clear that he knew that he was in the wrong, and that he knew what I had just thought, that hate was not the answer.Love does indeed conquer all.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Member Name: Astris JanusTheme: Amor Omnia VincitWord Count: 548Title: Blaze Fires erupted everywhere, even from the combatants themselves, consuming them in a golden blaze. Aela watched in horror. Ash fell on her feathered wings and the heat unsettled her. “This is why we needed you,” Mark said grimly. She looked up to him. “This is because of Mucro?” “In part. Technically, the Blaze is an entity in its own right, even if it is a form of magic. It is using Mucro’s body though.” “Right, and how do you expect me to stop that?” “I believe the phrase is ‘Amor Omnia Vincit.’” Aela looked around. “Are you sure this will work?” “Not at all,” Mark replied, “but I know that nothing else seems to work.” Aela paused. “… I’ll try.” She took flight. Looking across the battlefield, she saw one thing that both sides had in common; they were both retreating. All seemed afraid of the flames that burned everything. It had been 5 months and Aela was now used to them, but this… Mucro wanted to stop the fight, but this wasn’t what he wanted. Finally, she saw him. He hovered just above a charred tower, wings of golden flame formed from his back and an aura of pure heat surrounded him. His horns were ablaze and his eyes glowed, but seemed… vacant. Aela flew closer to him. She felt her jumper begin to singe and her hair begin to frizz. “Mucro!” she called. “It’s me.” Mucro slowly turned to face her. His gaze was empty but intense. She was sure that if he wanted to, he could turn her to ash with the slightest inclination. “It’s Aela.” She felt the air cool slightly. Aela smiled and glided a bit closer. “You told me about this; how the knowledge burned itself in your head; how it would come out when your life was threatened; how it was all incredibly powerful and dangerous, but healing and protective. That was our second date. Well, our second real date.” His eyes were still vacant, but the flames seemed to ebb. “You showed me your place that night. Your apartment above your bar, which was all very cool. You took me to the roof, and cooked dinner on the grill. “That was when you showed me these flames. These beautiful, golden, radiant flames, surpassing even that of hellion fire. You told me that they had a life of their own and that, occasionally, you were feared they might take over. I told you I wouldn’t let that happen. I told you that I would help you control them.” She was now close enough to reach out gently clasp his hand. His skin was practically glowing with heat, but she didn’t mind. “Mucro, come back to me.” She looked deep into his eyes… His gaze suddenly focused. The aura dispersed and all the flames extinguished. Mucro nearly fell to his knees, but Aela was there for him. He fell into her embrace and they held each other for a time. “I love you,” he said. “I love you too,” she replied. He could hear the smile in her voice. It made him feel amazing.

Mark opened his eyes and smiled. He had watched it all through his magic. They were lucky this time. The plan had worked. “Amor Omnia Vincit…”

~~~

Edited by Astris Janus

Right, new forum, new signature. Or, at least, a reboot.

20795.jpg

Dual Sides; An Expanded Multiverse Epic

Bionicle Anime: Toa Mata

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success."
- Anonymous

Member Name: Varkanax39Theme: Amor Omnia VincitWord Count: 464Title: Fear or Love?Shall you rule through fear or love?His elderly mother’s question kept plaguing the general as he stood at the edge of a river. After he crossed to the other bank with his battle-hardened mercenaries, the weak kingdom of Kedra was his for the taking. But the question his mother had asked him plagued his thoughts in spite of it all.The general grimaced. He felt he had to answer this question before he crossed the river. If he did not, he could not live with becoming the ruler of the kingdom.There seemed to be strengths and weaknesses to both fear and love. If he ruled through fear alone, he would not keep his throne. The people would rise up against him. But if he loved and spoiled his people they would grow soft and weak, and he’d have no use for them anymore.Shall you rule through fear or love?Neither seemed perfect solutions to his problem. Besides, he still had the Kedran militia to worry about. Why, then, was he so confident of conquest?Suddenly he saw his grandfather in his mind’s eye, holding the young boy who’d become the general of this army in his hands. He’d whispered a small phrase, and the boy had stared up into his eyes. The phrase had shaped whom he’d become.Amor Omnia Vincit. Love conquers all.When was the last time he’d felt love?Years and years ago, he’d loved a girl from the neighboring kingdom of Sinyra. There had been a time when they’d talked seriously of marriage, but when she’d become sloppy and let her mission- to find information for the planned invasion of his kingdom- he’d been forced to execute her as a war criminal.He loved his mother, the only family he had left. Both his brothers had perished in battle. But she was on her deathbed, and he did not expect her to be alive when he returned.Amor Omnia Vincit.Was it true?Not for me.But inwardly he knew he was lying to himself. Perhaps, if he defeated the Kedran military, he’d understand what his mother had meant. ----The general limped into the small, ramshackle house, defeated, battered, and wounded horribly. He walked with a pronounced limp to the bedside of his mother.“Amor Omia Vincit,” he said bitterly. “It didn’t stop my army from being slaughtered when the Kedrans were reinforced.”“But it did…” his elderly mother whispered. “It brought you home forever. Home in time to see me pass away.”“But I can’t lose you, too,” he said desperately.“You were too close…to losing yourself to the endless wars. You already lost both your brothers and your lover to this war, why lose yourself as well?”Slowly, the general began to understand. And wept.

Edited by Varkanax39

tumblr_static_3xklkaa5baucs4kwgosokcw0o_

XATEREX MULTIVERSE STORYLINE

Volume I: Into the Darkness (PDF / Review / CBW PageVolume II: The Shadows Coil  (Review / CBW Page| Volume III: The Darkest Light  (Review / CBW Page| Volume IV: Shattering (Review / CBW Page) Volume V: The Final Prophecy  (Review / CBW Page| Volume VI: Eternal Darkness (PDF / Review / CBW Page)

Xaterex Art Blog | Xaterex Wiki

Member Name: ZippyWharrgarblTheme: Amor Omnia VincitWord Count: 510Title: The Adventurers

THE ADVENTURERS

~~~Deep in the mines of Argror Mountains, the heroes Heim and Ulir crept with no lamp or torch to show the way. The tunnels were black as coal, and the air was damp and thick with the smell of earth and death.“Here.”Heim turned. Ulir was not one for wasted words, and he spoke as little as possible. It was one of the reasons why he loved him so much. He smiled at the man, short and musclebound. “What is it?”The shorter man pointed to a scrape in the tunnel wall, near invisible in the dim light. “They’ve been this way.”Heim peered into the darkness ahead. “How far, you think?”“Not far. Three hour’s travel, at most-”A terrible, grating shriek rebounded from the darkness. Both adventurers glanced at each other.“Two minutes down the tunnel,” Ulir corrected.They rushed down, weapons at the ready. Ulir brandished a hammer and Heim nocked an arrow into place. What they faced was more frightening than they could have imagined. They had been hired to take care of a slight Burrower problem by a local barkeep.But what they had found was an entire colony of the things.They were gruesome, grotesque creatures. They had no eyes due to the lack of light deep underground, but they could feel vibrations in the dirt and smell anything foreign to them. They had sharp, deadly claws that tore through earth and flesh alike, and they were carnivorous creatures with a particular taste for humans. Heim smiled; he and his partner had been through harrowing times, from the day of the dragon attack to the constant ridicule and jeering at the two adventurers. But, they had taken it in their stride. As the bards always said in their ridiculous poems and sonnets, “Love Conquers All”.~~~The fight was long, but in the end, the two adventurers stood triumphant, and they returned to the village in victory. The miners went back to work, and life returned to the way it was in the village. That is, until the barkeep refused to pay Ulir and Heim.Heim nearly lost himself to rage. Instead, he ground out through gritted teeth, “We cleared the cave of those Burrowers. We were wounded. We need the money to repair our weapons and buy medicine.”The barkeep raised his hands, seemingly surprised at the reaction. “Sorry, fellows. But it would not look good for business to hand over gold to you two… gentlemen. Given your, uh, relationship-““Is THAT what this is about?!” Heim roared, seizing the barkeep by the front of his dirty apron. “You’re refusing to pay us because we’re-“Ulir reached up and took Heim’s wrist. Their eyes met for a long time before Heim looked to the counter and released the barkeep. He smiled weakly, and he and his friend left the shady tavern.“I suppose it doesn’t matter,” Heim sighed. “Love conquers all. It always does. We’ll have our respect… one day.”And with that, they mounted their steeds and left the town behind.

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

Member Name: Nuile: Lunatic WordsmithTheme: Amor Omnia VincitWord Count: 600Title: Love and Victory
Your eyes shine like diamonds in the sky of night,

Your face is as radiant as dawn's first light.

Endowed with spiritual and mental grace,

It is for you my heart quickens pace.

Though for now we're distant, though this is true,

I will never cease on my journey to find you.

Steadfast and sure I will strive without rest

To regain your honor is my rigid quest.

I will never give up hope nor heart

Until bridged is the gap that keeps us apart

Dear Victoria,I realize things are strained between us. My teen years have bereft me of the puerile innocence of my youth. And they have bereft me of the friend who now enters her teen years in uncertainty and trepidation. I realize we've grown apart. I realize we're two different people. I realize, I realize. . . .But I also realize this: You and I were friends once; and for a moment we were something more, until fear quelled that fire. But it still burns within us, quelled but not extinguished by your fear and my sensitivity. It is a fire that keeps us connected. We shared in time past an unseverable affinity, and we shared that once an affinity more potent still.Life strains at our bond; my hearstrings feel its pull. But they do not yield. I believe that you, too, feel this . . . and that you, too, always the stronger, do not yield.It may take time for you to realize all this. I know you have not yet begun to understand it. It took me years to understand it myself. But within my chest is a flame that will burn forever . . . you will see.I miss you . . . I miss you exorbitantly!But for you--for my love!--I must wait. I must prove myself, for there is no more formidable a test than that of time. . . . And I will. I will prove myself. I will do it because I would do anything for you, Victoria; because I love you. I know this is not the end. This is not yet the start! I know great things lie ahead in our intertwined futures. There is so much that lies ahead--and I will wait. For you I would wait a thousand years, Victoria; because I love you. I know you will remember in time. I know you will understand in time. I know my feelings will not change, my flame will not flicker. I will do in the interim all for you that I must, Victoria; because I love you. I will wait to be reunited with you, however long it takes, Victoria; because I love you.Because I love you . . . and nothing will ever change that. . . . It is a flame that will burn . . . forever. . . .

—Yours sincerely, Amos

Victoria put down the letter written so long ago. Still the words brought a smile to her wizen lips and a tearful sheen to the still-shining eyes."I marvel that you knew, even then . . . that you understood, even then . . . that you would wait--that you would write this and keep it for all those years. . . .""I always knew I loved you.""Even when I didn't.""But you always loved me.""I marvel . . . that you were right all along."Our shriveled lips met. Even now crept into my heart that fire of that day long past. . . .

Edited by Nuile: The Daft Wordbender

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

Member Name: BaltaTheme: Amor Omina VincetWord Count: 453Story:“Long has love been the basis of our creed.” The old man’s words rang through the hall, echoing in the ears of all those present, a dozen or so nobles waiting with bated breath.“It is by our god’s love that we were brought into being.” The listeners nodded, murmuring assent.“It is out of love that we obey him.” In truth, many of those present felt only fear, but now would be a highly inopportune time to mention that.“He commands us now to spread his love to the world.” Not an eye, not an ear wavered from the speaker. He was approaching the heart of his speech, it was clear.“We show our love to the nations by giving unto them the gift of our creed.” Several of the listeners nodded again. The speaker’s words, after all, were perfectly logical.“But, inevitably, some will resist.” The nobles murmured darkly amongst themselves. These resisters would come, of course they would. They would have to be dealt with.“Thus, we will be forced to overtake them. Our quest must not fail.” Indeed, this seemed the only logical way to counter the problem.“There will be some – many, even – who lose their lives in this goal, allies and foes alike.” Of course, that was inevitable in war. What was his point?“Our men will die knowing that they have given their lives to show love to those who do not have our creed.” A heroic sacrifice. A few nobles smiled – it would be worth it, of course.“Our enemies will die rightfully – better be it for them to die than to live life without love.” After all, why burden the earth with their ungrateful, unloving lives?“And so it shall be...for love conquers all.” A chorus of voices rang out in the hall as the nobles shouted their approval.

The battlefield rang with the sounds of war – shouting, metal clashing on metal, the cries of horses...I shook my head, attempting to clear it. We were winning, of course – as the priest had said, love would conquer. But the enemy was giving us quite the time of it nonetheless.My squadron had long since scattered after our leader was killed. I’d tried to rally them, but we’d been separated in the confusion. I was on my own now...I glanced around. There seemed to be a brief respite in the endless tide of adversaries-The whir of a blade slicing through the air behind me barely warned me enough in time to block the strike. Feint, lunge, uppercut – my opponent was on the ground.I looked down at him as I raised my blade. Two words escaped my lips: “For love.”The blade fell.

Q2TtLEz.png

Eh, this one turned out rather stereotypical, and I don't like how I had to make the Chorus ellipses for it to fit the word count. Still, it's decent.Member Name: Ballistic Jello Pickles (Toa of Dancing)Theme: Amor Omnia VincitWord Count: 596Story: Not Alone ••••• Life wasn’t worth living anymore. Kaitlin knew that too well. Everything kept going wrong, and she was afraid of what would happen when she stepped out of her own door. The world hated her, and she hated it. May as well cut off the living **** in which she lived. It would be today. Slowly drifting awayLost and so afraidWhere is the hopeIn a world so cold? She used to have friends. That was what kept her alive. Then they all left her, so she turned away from them. Two or three remained. Soon enough, she realized that that was because they wanted her money. Looking for a distant lightSomeone who could save a lifeLiving in fearThat no one would hear your cry If she had someone, then maybe things would be different. But Kaitlin Stonewell was alone, and no one gave a second thought about it. Can you save me now? She might as well tell everyone that this was the last day. All the “friends” on whatever social networking sites. Her family. I am with youI will carry you through it allI won’t leave youI will catch youWhen you feel like letting go‘Cause you’re notYou’re not alone Jonathan glanced at his phone. New update from... Katy? She never got online anymore. He saw the first words–“Goodbye, world”–and began to panic. Your heart is full of broken dreamsJust a fading memoryEverything’s goneBut the pain carries on A call? Someone with a quick eye trying to dissuade her. ...Jonathan? If anyone would care, Katy guessed it would be him. Nice guy, she used to be a good friend with him before he moved into the neighboring county. Lost in the rain againWhen will it ever end?The arms of reliefSeem so out of reachHe had to stop her... This was insane! Why would she commit suicide? She seemed like such a happy girl two years ago. But I, I am here The door was blocked. No one could climb through the window. Now it was time to take the pills... A knife would be too painful, and she didn’t have a gun.Jonathan silently thanked God that the traffic was light as he drove as fast as he could. Her house wasn’t too far... just across the county line. And I will be your hopeWhen you feel like it’s overAnd I will pick you upWhen your whole world shattersWhen you’re finally in my armsLook up and seeThat love has a face No water... She had forgotten a glass. Saliva would have to do... It would take a while, though. He slammed on the brakes in front of her house, jumping out of the car as he heard sirens wailing. C’mon... Sirens? Someone called the law. Seconds after she heard them, she heard a banging on her door and Jonathan yelling. A knife it had to be, then. Slowly drifting awayLost and so afraidWhere is the hopeIn a world so cold? “A chainsaw, anything will work, mister Stonewell!” Jonathan yelled down the stairs. He heard the sound or shuffling in her room... she was still alive. Then the policemen arrived. They rushed up the stairs and burst into the room with their equipment, Jonathan pushing through despite their attempts at holding him back. The knife had quickly been snatched from Kaitlin, and all that was left was to wrap her in his arms and whisper quietly.

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

Name: #firstworldtylerTheme: Amor Omnia VincitWord Count: 569Story: Existentialism on Prom Night

Existentialism on Prom Night

She sighs and holds up a finger to her friends, stepping out of the front door of her father’s Hyundai Genesis faux-luxury car and pulling out her iPhone. Twenty minutes away, in another world, another lifetime, he can hear her pick up the phone, and he lets out a sobbing cry of relief.“I’m glad you picked up…”“Jack, your voice is slurred. What have you—““Listen, I just…I really need to talk to someone right now.”There’s a sharp static hiss, like a viper trying to intimidate its prey before it moves in and strangles its unsuspecting meal. He closes his eyes, as if expecting a verbal lashing. There isn’t one coming.“We broke up eight months ago. This is prom night. What do you think you’re playing at, Jack, calling me tonight of all nights?”It’s his turn to sigh, and with the sigh comes another couple tears as it finally begins to dawn on him just how badly he screwed up.“Jen, please, just…please. I’m not the best right now, and I think I really need somebody to talk to before I—“Now she really is angry, and he knows immediately that this was not the best thing he could have said, but it’s too late because now she’s screaming and cursing herself hoarse, and from twenty minutes away, in another world, another lifetime, he can hear her yells start to fade as she begins sobbing. This, instead of sobering him, merely releases another bout of sobbing.“You think I’m the best right now, Jack Gunn? I’m going solo to prom because my monster moron monster ex-boyfriend felt that he had the right to embarrass me in front of his friends just to get a rise out of them! You disgust me! You’re everything that I wish I could despise, and you’re lucky that I’m not hanging up on you and never casting a glance in your direction again, you pig!”By this time, he can feel his heart starting to crumble and crack, like a Greek monument that has had its resistance torn to pieces by inclement weather and the ages that’s sick and tired of standing resolute. He tries to put in a word edgewise, but it’s fruitless, and all his shallow explanations end up doing is getting her more angry. If she gets lucky and ends up getting famous, she’s going to go all Adele on this poor sap and he’ll never be able to show his face in public again after the embarrassment she piles on him.Then again, he has to remind himself, he had embarrassed her first.But how was that his fault? The poem had been dropped on the ground, he had read it out loud, and she had absolutely raged at him, calling him a psycho and a manipulative prick and that if he ever touched her again, she would personally dig his grave and drop him into it half alive. All the clever lines, all the dry examples of wit in the world, none of them could possibly save him at this point. None of them except for one.“If you pick me up now, we can still head to prom and be there in time for the King and Queen voting.”She’s silent, and he starts to wonder if all this did was royally infuriate her even more. Finally, she speaks.“Where are you?”

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

I'm cutting this awfully close. Only minutes to spare!Member Name: MaganarTheme: Amor Omnia VincitWord Count: 568Story: The AlchemistThe alchemist had been slaving endlessly to produce the object that she had promised to produce in exchange for freedom – both for herself and for her daughter. The sorcerer’s guards had been quick to remind her everyday that her daughter’s life hung in the balance of whether or not the amplification gem would be complete by the end of the week.Finally, the magical stone had been completed. It had taken the alchemist an untold amount of resources to complete, but she had received a constant supply, as the sorcerer obtained anything she claimed was necessary in order to succeed. Now finished, she notified a guard and the sorcerer descended into the dungeon where he had sent her to work.The evil magician eyed the artifact of power she had developed. “Yes,” he said, touching the glowing ruby. “I can feel the magical aura it projects… and the way it redirects magic outward. You have made what I requested. With this, any spell I cast will now be able to reach the farthest corners of this kingdom! I will be able to conquer all!” He directed his guards to escort the alchemist with him as he prepared the incantation. He wanted her to see the fall of the old regime at his hands.At the top of his spire, he began to chant in the ancient language, preparing to unleash a curse that, with the help of the amplification gem, would enslave everyone in this land, forcing them to abide his will. The ruby glowed brighter and energy seethed around it. The guards fled in terror. No bother, the sorcerer thought. He erected a magical barrier to prevent the alchemist from interfering.Suddenly, the sorcerer yelped in pain. He fell to his knees and the magical barrier dropped. However, the ruby continued to seethe with energy. The alchemist stalked forward, then spoke to the confused and sorcerer who now appeared to be in agony.“So blind, for someone so magically powerful…”“What have you done?!” he cried out.“Nothing. You cast the spell. My amplification gem did precisely what it was supposed to – precisely what you yourself requested… but all alchemical stones are powered by emotion. All I could think about as I made it was how my daughter’s life was in danger, so it was my love for my daughter that gave it power… but not directly.” From one of the many pockets in her alchemists’ vest she removed a second ruby. “Of course, to someone of your magical power, you would have realized I had given you something other than what you had requested if I had made something else, so I made what you asked, but I linked it to this stone… a controller gem. You cast the spell, but not for yourself. You cast it for me. I have enslaved everyone… yourself included.” She walked out to the balcony and called out in the ancient language.“Yi karntori jhen ki nen yortul, ju herennen lut fulisis li nen yortul!” The words translated as: I release the people beyond this tower, and the guards of this tower. She smiled. Now everyone was free of her enslavement, except for one individual…“Come with me, my new slave,” she called out to the sorcerer lying on the floor. Bound by the magic, he had no choice but to obey. “You should be quite useful to have around…”

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.

Haha, I'm cutting it even closer ;)Member Name: Zosia DarrTheme: CoT Amor Omnia VincitWord Count: 595Story: The Kidnapping Sickness"It was nice to meet you, sweetie!"Grandma pats his hand and is wheeled back into her room by the caretaker.He doesn't understand. He has only just visited Grandma two months ago. How does she not know him anymore?He turns to his mother with a question, he sees her retreating hastily back down the pink tiled hallway. "Mommy!" He calls, trotting after her. "Mommy, wait for me!"He catches up to his mother and wraps his arms through the dangling leather handbag, trying to pull her to a calmer pace."Mommy, does Grandma not remember me?" He wheels around to see his mother's face, hopping backwards to keep her bent face in view. A raindrop hits him square in the forehead, and he is alarmed into crying out. But he looks up and is even more frightened to see that his mother is crying."Are you okay, momma? Did you get hurt?" The little boy wants to find out, and his light-up sneakers squeak on the floor as he stumbles. Finally, his mother slows down. But she still does not stop, nor does she respond to his questions."Mommy?" He turns with his mother into a small lobby, deserted except for a monitor-faced secretary. He follows as his mother sinks into the closest velvet and wood chair. He can't tell if she's still crying because her hand is covering her eyes, and he climbs up next to her, tugging the hand away. "Can I give you a hug, mommy?" He remembers that when he is upset, his mother always gave him hugs. He also knew that those hugs cheered both of them up."Oh, Christopher," He is pulled into her lap, and she sobs and laughs all at once. "I'm so sorry, Christopher.""It's okay, mommy. But why are you sorry?" He needs to know. So much is happening. "Mommy, I don't understand."He feels his mother's lips press into the top of his head in a kiss, and his hair feels tickly when her breath makes it move. After a few deep breaths, her voice reaches his ears."Chris, you're a big boy, aren't you? You're almost five and a half," She says. "I think you're old enough to understand." "Understand?" He wriggles in her grip, trying to see her face again."You see, your grandmother is very sick, Christopher. And the kind of sickness she has, it gets worse and worse and worse, and the doctor's can't make it go away." She loosens her grip, and turns him to face her."Not even the smartest doctor?" "Not even the smartest doctor," She acknowledges. "And Christopher, you have to understand that this is no ordinary sickness. It doesn't make grandma cough, or give her a fever, or even give her aches and pains in her bones.""What? Then what does this sickness do, mommy?" His mother takes a deep breath. "This is the kidnapping sickness. It kidnaps her memories, and locks them away so she forgets things." And he furrows his brow as his mother chokes to a stop. "How can Grandma forget things? Big things, like you and me? Doesn't she love us?" He feels tears welling up in his eyes, encouraged by the free-flowing tears of his mother."Of course she does, Christopher. That's what you must understand. Even though the kidnapping sickness takes Grandma away from us, she is still there for us," His mother reaches up and flicks away his tears expertly. "Even though she can't remember us, she still loves us.""Why, mommy?""Because love conquers all."

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

Member Name: ExcelsiorTheme: Amor Omnia VincitWord Count: 427Story: RefusalThe Healer had been sitting by the man's bed for some time. At first, he had been working over him, trying to halt or at least slow what was coming to him. Now he just sat by him, silent and still.The man on the bed looked at him inquiringly."Is there something wrong, Healer?"The Healer sighed. He had found himself in this situation many times before in his life, but he had rarely regretted it as much as he did now. This man was in the prime of his life, one of the most renowned knights of His Majesty's Court. He had had much to look forward to in life.On the other hand, in the battle that had injured him, his father's castle had been taken and sacked. Surely this would ease the struggle."I'm sorry," he began, "but...""Go on, Healer," the knight said reassuringly.The Healer drew a breath."You are dying.""I refuse.""What!"The Healer stared at the man in disbelief. This situation was definitely new to him."A man cannot refuse to die, when his time has come! And I tell you, sir, your time has run out. I have been a healer for many years, and I know the look of death."The man on the bed shook his head calmly. "I am sure of that, sir Healer. But I repeat, I refuse to die. Although it would not be hard to consent..."For it is a struggle to live now, Healer. My natural strength is gone. Besides that, my home is in ruins and much of my family dead."But I cannot join them. I have a friend, a comrade, the noblest knight of all this land. He was in the battle by my side, although the quarrel was none of his. They told me he was struck down at the same time I was."I had a dream last night, Healer. I saw him in it. He is alive, in my enemy's dungeon. He needs me."The Healer shook his head. He knew little of dreams, but he knew his work. This man could not live over three days.Three Weeks Later...The knight helped his friend up the dungeon stairs. Weakened by his captivity, the man had almost to be carried.His friend looked around the devastated hall. "You did this alone?"The knight smiled. "I had to see you safe..."He sank to the floor. Without the strength of his adamantine will he could live no longer."Farewell for now, beloved friend."Amor Omnia Vincit

bannerwithstrangedevicesmall.jpg

My writings:

The Toa Ekara - Visions A short story. Ga-Koro Mobs My entry for the LSO Comedies Contest. Team Extempore's entry for the LSO Epics Contest

This theme was probably one of the worst ones I could have been given, and as such I'm submitting something equally awful. Enjoy. :PI do enjoy writing in first person, though... So I guess I can say that the theme wasn't all bad (although it was still awful for me). XDEdit: Changed the title.Name: DespairTheme: Amor Omnia VincitWord Count: 439Story: The Thoughts of a Recently-Rejected TeenagerLove will find a way.All you need is love.It’s better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.These are all phrases we have been taught since childhood, their words engrained into our minds. Some people choose to model their entire outlook on life off of sayings like these.I am not one of those people, especially not now. Not now that I’ve been in love and been rejected, not now that I’ve experienced the agony of heartbreak. Yes, third phrase, I’m referring to you. Yes, you do have a special place in my heart.No. I do not agree with any of you one bit.Love is like a hurricane. Oh look, there’s another stock saying. I wasn’t even trying to come up with one that time, and it just came to mind. Great, just great.But wait… Comparing love to a type of storm, and one known for the devastation it tends to leave in its wake, may actually be the most fitting thing comparison I’ve seen yet. Love is a horrible, horrible reaction, and one that the human race would be infinitely better off without. I would love to take back all the time I spent building up the courage to tell you how I felt, only for you to bluntly reject me in the span of two seconds. I’d-Sorry, I have some things on my mind. You know, in case you hadn’t noticed. Which isn’t very likely…Anyway, love is a hurricane. Yup, I’ll agree with that one. Let’s move on to the next one like a museum tour guide and his flock of paying customers and bums who are following the main group. Yup, my little tour will go right past the broken hearts of a billion teenagers, all while I’m spouting random garbage like, “And on your left, you can see the infamous words that drove these poor souls into committing such reckless acts, defying all logic in their attempts to win the heart of another person. Oh, and on your right is another similar sight. Isn’t love just great?”Yes, I’d make an excellent tour guide. Maybe one day, when I’m a bit more level-headed, I’ll make a museum like that. No wait. That’s stupid. Forget I said that.Oh, oh, oh… The granddaddy of all stock saying just popped into my head. Oh, this is infuriating. Wow, I’m having difficulty just typing this, I’m so irritated. Okay, deep breath. In. Out.Love conquers all.You know what, world? I’m calling you out on that one right here, right now.False. Oh so very false.

Edited by Despair

Lacertus

I was going to make this story really cynical and messed up, but then I didn't. Member Name: Panty AnarchyTheme: Amor Omnia VincitWord Count: 599Story: Debts

Debts

He was not a simple man. He was a scientist, a doctor and researcher. He had no need for the supernatural. He was a practical man. But he believed in love. It was an emotion too powerful to ignore. Love was everything to him, for he owed everything to love, or perhaps more accurately, to his love.She had been everything to him, and now that she was gone, he could not cope. It had been years since she had given her life for him. To him, the pain was just as fresh now as it had been then. Their love had meant to last forever. That is the reason people loved; to spend their lives in communion, trusting, respecting and treasuring each other for the entirety of their lives. It was not meant to end, not so soon. It was not meant to end and leave him like he was. He almost couldn’t bear it. But he would not give in to despair, for he believed in love. He believed he could accomplish the impossible for love. Lying in a table near him was a body. It was an engineered body, an amalgamation of parts reassembled into a human form. This was no patchwork monster of an old, tired story. It was an almost perfect recreation of his wife, a perfect form, designed to be a healthy, strong, immune being. But it lacked life. It was ready, yet incomplete. She had given him her life, and he would give it back. It was only the right thing to do. It defied his logic. It defied his laws. But it was love, not logic, that dictated his actions. He refused to reflect on what he was about to do. Questioning himself would be futile. He did not care. It was unimportant. Without her he might as well be dead.He sat in a table parallel hers. A transparent and sleek machine sat in between the two tables.“Begin warm-up. Get ready for custom procedure number 98.”The machine came to life in response to his voice. Several mechanical limbs extended from the machine’s main body, testing its joints and the security of its equipment. A green signal in its heads-up display indicated everything was in order.He lay down in the table. “Begin custom procedure 98.”How to give life to another human? It was a difficult question. He didn’t have an answer. All he had were ideas, hope, and most importantly, love. It was a theoretically simple procedure. It could probably be performed without him, but he refused to consider that. He would give his life. He had no other choice.His body’s energy, the flow of his blood, the beating of his heart, every little thing that generated change in his body, would be harnessed to create one massive charge, and this would carefully be infused into her body. Coupled with her engineered body, she would live, and he would have given his life for her. He would repay his debt.As he prepared to let go, he realized that he had no regrets. Not now, that his love would let him accomplish the impossible. Not now.

A woman sat up. She was on a operating table, next to a strange machine. Beyond the machine she could see an unmoving man. She was puzzled by his immobility. She had a feeling that he would not wake again, and felt a pang of sadness, though she did not know why. On the heads-up display, a single word was written. She understood it, somehow.LIVE. She understood.

AXKP5KC.png

What, cause I'd already done the cynical entry? We don't have to stop at just one, you know. :PThere might actually be others, but I haven't had the chance to read any...

Haha, no. :P It's just that literally all my entries so far save for the Lhii ones have been really dark. This one's just sad. I wanted a change of pace. Though yeah, a variety of stories is better.

AXKP5KC.png

I had to severely edit mine in order to make it fit the word count. But, anyway, here it is!Member Name: XanthorpTheme: UltimatumWord Count: 524Story: Let The Will Be DoneShe was dying. She had known this for several months. The cancer was spreading throughout her body like the plague. Yet, surprisingly, she had not written her will yet. But it was time for her to face the truth. She was unable to stop it. She slid off of her bed and tidied it up. After all, it may be the last time she would lay in it. She looked out of the highest window of the Castle Weller, then sat down at her writing desk. She started writing...[/font]--[/font]Grace Delamere-Weller[/font]Castle Weller[/font]1 Long Road[/font]Brighton[/font]England[/font] The Last Will and Testament of Grace Delamere-Weller[/font]I, Grace Delamere-Weller, certify that I am of sound mental health and contractual capacity. I also confirm that I am not under duress or undue influence to write this will.[/font]Furthermore, I hereby revoke all other wills and codicils I may have previously executed.[/font]I appoint my son, Lucas James Weller, as the executor of this will.[/font]I empower the executor to pay all of my funeral, debts, taxes, and other expenses.[/font]I authorize the executor to sell my home and belongings, except for the following:[/font] -My cocobolo writing desk is to go to my son, Jacob Wilhelm Weller[/font] -My bed is to go to my daughter, Natalie Mikaela Weller[/font] -My custom bloodwood bicycle is to go to my grandson, Lance Thomas Weller[/font]My assets shall be divided as follows:[/font] -My loving son Lucas is to receive twenty percent (20%) should he survive me. [/font] -My loving son-[/font]--[/font]Her writing was interrupted by a knock on the door, followed by two men entering. One man was wearing a white lab coat and a suit underneath, while the other had a suit on and a black briefcase in his left hand.[/font]“Jay, William,” she said, addressing each man respectively. “You are just in time to witness my will.[/font]“Madam,” said the Doctor, Jay. “I am in no condition to-”[/font]“Silence, Doctor Livingstone. There must be two witnesses to the will. Continue, mistress,” Said Mr. Starr.[/font]“Stay in here. Please,” Grace started.[/font]--[/font] -My loving son Jacob is to receive twenty percent (20%) should he survive me.[/font] -My loving daughter Natalie is to receive twenty percent (20%) should she survive me.[/font] -My loving grandson Lance is to receive twenty percent (20%) should he survive me.[/font] -The remaining twenty percent (20%) shall go to my cousins, nieces, nephews, brothers and sisters, if they have not received money, including the alternative beneficiaries, in equal shares, per stirpes.[/font] [/font]If there are any other assets remaining in my estate including but not limited to real property, personal property, causes of action or any other assets, of whatsoever nature and wheresoever situate, I give, bequeath and devise such residue to my cousin, Regno Daniel Weller. [/font]My executor shall be paid and/or reimbursed for any and all expenses. The pay shall be a reasonable fee such as is ordinarily charged in the community for services of similar complexity and nature.[/font]--[/font]“Come, madam,” said William, “And let the will be done.”[/font]The two men escorted her back to her bed where she fell asleep never to wake again.[/font]

--xanthorp_sig.jpg--

01-01the_chronology_of_enigma.png

The Review Topic for this project

I hope you like them!

Member Name: Nuile: Lunatic WordsmithTheme: UltimatumWord Count: 543Story: The Right Path"It is time for you to make a choice."The voice was a discordant union of high and low, soft and harsh, warm and cold. It was simultaneously mellifluous and malefic.The speaker had its back turned to me. But the rear view of its humanoid figure was not without interst . . . though it was without harmony. Its long, billowing cloak was a schism of color, half a tattered black, half a gold-trimmed white. A wing protruded through each shoulder, one chiropteran and battered, one silkily feathered. Its head was on the left side bald and scarred, a deep red hue, topped with a single gnarled horn; and on the right, adorned with a half-crown of golden locks."You may proceed. Or you may turn back now.""I'm continuing," I confirmed without a momen't hesitation."So be it."The door behind me slid shut. At the same moment, two more opened before me, one on either side of the creature.Through one door I saw a winding road along rolling hills bathed in sunlight. Birds twittered and fluttered about the trees that dotted the slopes.Through the other door was a shadowed forest path, long and thin. On either side thistles and briars enchroached upon it. I could hear resounding within its depths the howles of wolves, the hoots of owls, and the terrible calls of beasts unknown.As I glanced from one path to the other, the creature turned, drawing my attention. The first ninety degrees of its revolution displayed the face of a beautiful, fair-skinned maiden. But as it turned round entirely, I stifled a gasp of repulsion. The remaining fragment of its face, separated by a jarring margin, was disfigured and lurid, red as blood. This half-angel, half-demon smiled and sneered simultaneously."My next query: Which path do you choose?" asked the Dyad. "Do you choose to turn to the right--or to the left?"I regarded the sun-filled hills. The right. And I peered into the dark forest. The left. The winding country road or the narrow thicket path."Choose wisely," the Dyad advised.I considered. The right road was bright, warm and inviting; the left path was stygian and gloomy. Was I to walk the path of evil or the path of peace? to brave the road of darkness or traverse the easy road?"The doors hang open. Choose your path."My heart was thumping. It is never easy to discriminate the proper course. What if I chose incorrectly? What would happen if I failed the test?I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I felt I knew the answer. I had made my decision. But if I was wrong--I dreaded to think what might happen.I snapped my eyes open, squared my shoulders, and stepped forward. I did not turn left--nor did I turn right. I marched straight toward the Dyad and brushed it aside.Its demonic face was wide-eyed and snarling, its opposite resplendently smiling. "What are you doing?""I'm going . . . forth. Neither to the right, nor to the left."I strode up to the wall between the doors. I was no longer afraid. I knew I had made the right choice.And I stepped through the wall.

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

Member Name: Danska: Shadow MasterTheme: UltimatumWord Count: 597Story: This One ThingSimon couldn't believe what he was hearing. “What are you getting me into?”“It's simple. Just go to this address at this time. Tell 'em you know me, they'll let you in. From there it's easy.” Dan explained.“Look, you're a good friend and you've helped me out loads,” said Simon nervously. “I mean, I'd probably be on the street if it weren't for you, but just turn up at some random address and then, what? If you're trying to drag me into some- some illegal underground, thing, there's no way I'm doing it. No way.”“Really Simon,” Dan smiled. “I wouldn't go and do that now, would I? Just go to this address, tomorrow, ten pm. Everything will be just fine.”Simon still wasn't happy. “You're insane. I ain't gonna do this just cos you tell me to. Tell me what this is about!”Dan sighed. He casually drew out a cigarette and lit it, inhaling deeply. “I didn't wanna do this, but seems you've left me no choice. That money I send you? It stops, unless you do this one thing. No more help, no more support, nothing. Understand?”“But- look, I can't just-”“Yes. You can.” Dan turned, taking his hat from the table as he went. “Now I'll leave you to think about it. But if you want anything from me, you'll do it. That's the deal.”Simon sank into a chair. Dan was right. He couldn't manage without him. Simon buried his face in his hands, dreading what the next day would bring.

The address was a surprisingly large house in a well built-up area of town. Simon cautiously approached the door, shaking beneath his coat. He just wanted to turn and run. To be anywhere else but here.He knocked. A few seconds later, the door opened an inch. A sliver of a face appeared in the crack, a narrowed eye staring out at him.“Yes?”“I- uh, Dan sent me,” Simon stammered, sweating in the cold air.The voice grunted and the door closed. A few seconds passed, and it opened again. A figure in dark jeans and a hood ushered him in.The door shut loudly behind him. The hooded figure ushered him towards a room on his left. Simon moved towards it. He grasped clumsily at the handle, his fingers scraping round the smooth edges. Finally he got a decent grip. Trembling, he turned the handle. He pushed the door open inch by inch, not knowing what he would see on the other side.Behind the door was...darkness. No lights illuminated the room. He took a small step forward, then another.Light flooded his retinas. A sudden noise, dozens of voices, cascaded over his eardrums. He stumbled backwards, but his way was blocked by the hooded man. He stared up, pale-faced, into the man's eyes.“Dan?” He gasped.Dan grabbed him and spun him around. Simon's eyes widened in surprise.“It's not! You've got to be kidding!” Simon gaped.Dan burst into laughter. “Oh man, you have no idea how fun that little routine was! Been planning it for ages! You were hilarious! You actually thought I was trying to press you into some drug gang or something!”“But- it's not for three days!”“Well, yeah,” Dan shrugged. “Wouldn't be much of a surprise on the actual day. Come on everyone! Don't think Simon heard us last time. One, two, three-”“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!”

Edited by Danska: Shadow Master

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

Member Name: Thunder on the MountainTheme: UltimatumWord Count: 529Story: Crimes Against HumanityTo Mr. TabrantinoYou’ve been quite persistent with your efforts in resisting our offers. To some degree, I, and everyone working on the ‘shockwave’ project understands your reluctance. After having married, parented, and divorced, you feel like you’ve taken on a new, fresh life in your new career. Perhaps you seek to set a good example for your daughter? Well, Mr. Tabrantino, that is highly admirable. Nearly twenty years turned away from your life of crime, fourteen of those a parent. I can’t imagine the satisfaction of it all.Unfortunately Mr. Tabrantino, my accomplices and I are not particularly willing to give up such a useful resource. As you can guess with the number of attempted contacts we’ve made, you might say that we need you. Or at the very least, you could say that we’re willing to go to any and all possible measures to acquire you. See, there’s the subject of my message sir...we believe we’ve prepared an offer you will not so swiftly refuse.We have your daughter.It’s tragic of course; the thought of coming all this way for her, and now the concept that you must revert back to your old ways to save her. Nevertheless, you’ve made negotiations impossible up until this point, and now we have the better hand, you might say. It’s really quite simple.Join us, carry out the job, and your daughter may yet survive. You devoted your younger years to crumbling this Union that rules over us. Now the opportunity to do everything that you meant to twenty years ago springs up before you, and you remain content with piloting a freight craft. It’s just not the sort of attitude we like to support, Tabrantino. I’m sure you understand.The choice is yours. Choose wisely.Sincerely Mr. Brown“Interplanetary terrorist is revealed to have been blackmailed.”SBC NewsSunday afternoon, Bureau of Justice slicers were revealed to have finally bypassed the security systems of a very well-known computer. This computer personally belonged to infamous terrorist Janos Tabrantino, best known for the Alexandria bombings six years ago.Files on this computer included a private messaging system, through which slicers were able to discover a shocking message to Tabrantino, in which it was revealed that the 45-year old man was in fact blackmailed into the terrible crimes by a third party. Messages indicate manipulation by a mysterious ‘Mr. Brown’ who forced him into the situation using his kidnapped daughter. Tabrantino had been contacted several times prior in demand of the same task, to which he had refused. The mysterious figure seemed to have known Tabrantino from other criminal activities during the man’s earlier years.The now 20 year old daughter of Tabrantino has been taken into custody, after having remained entirely silent about the incident for 6 years. Investigators suspect threats of violence were the woman to ever speak out about the hostage taking.For the subject of this ultimatum, this revelation comes too late. Had Tabrantino been imprisoned, the case would have likely been reopened, however the man did not survive his infamous bombings. Tabrantino was destroyed along with the cargo space vessel he had used by aerial police forces.

exo-toa_battle.jpg

This was inspired by a wedding reception that I waitressed at earlier tonight, if anyone’s wondering. I’m not actually a guy, but I took creative liscense and this is written from a guy’s point of view (and at like 3 am, which is probably also why I feel like an author’s note is necessary this time around) I also had to look up the meaning of the word "ultimatum", plus ask around, so I might have misinterpreted the theme.So if this turns out to be really weird, apologies in advance. Member Name: Zosia DarrTheme: COT- UltimatumWord Count: 422Story: Whitney, You Don’t KnowWhitneyYou don’t knowHow much you drive me crazyNot the lusty kind of crazy, I must sayYou change your mind so muchThat I can’t find anything to compareYou say confusing thingsAnd they make no sense to meAnd get mad that I don’t understandMy dear, I am only a manWhitney,You don’t knowHow much you’ve cost meAnd I don’t mean the dates and dinnersThose costsI could not care less aboutBut you have cost me myselfI have surrendered every spare thoughtThat ever strays into my headTo youAnd you just being in my headRobs me of any focusAnd replaces it with youThe funny thing isThat I know without a doubtThat you are worth itWhitneyYou don’t knowThe times, the countless, countless timesIn a day when I think of youI wait at a stoplight on the way to workAnd I see your deep red hairI sit at my desk in a glass windowed officeAnd your laughter echoes in my mindIn the small shop running errandsI hold open a doorNot to let a cart byBut for youYou show up when you pleaseBoth in my head and notAnd each time you doI am left that much happierWhitneyYou don’t knowWhat you’ve made me regretAbout my childhood and my pastHow I wish I could have been the boy next door for youAnd we could have grown up side by side togetherYou don’t know how much I wish we’d gone through schoolSharing classes and sharing smilesWhitney,You don’t knowHow I long to have your life’s storyTucked into my firsthand memorySo I can understand youAnd love you all the moreBut Whitney, you don’t knowHow much I’m glad that isn’t soBecause if I already knew about youAll that there is to knowI wouldn’t appreciate you for who you areIn the same way that I do todayAnd I wouldn’t get to listenTo your captivating voiceTelling me the stories of your youthAnd drowning me with youJust a little bit furtherMy WhitneyWho has turned me madAnd made me saneWho has cost me everythingAnd who is worth even moreWho has called me to doubt myselfBut who is my solid and worthy rockWhitneyHear my ultimatumMarry me

Edited by Zosia Darr

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

A word from the contest hosts: Please keep in mind what is posted in the main post. Namely, not to add any unnecessary formatting. This includes using a different font for your stories. Yes, we know it looks cool. But no, it will not make your story stand out, because we will be removing the formatting when we post them in the polls. All that does it put more work on myself and and John.Thank you. And on that note, polls have been posted for Amor Omnia Vincit! Please vote for your favorite story!newso1.png

Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

Member Name: ZippyWharrgarblTheme: UltimatumWord count: 434Story: Heart

HEART

~~~Hezul stared at the wall opposite him lost in his own thoughts. He was a young man, barely into adulthood, and already he was in love. It was true love, too; the love of the heart, the mind, and the soul. He loved dear Fala, loved her with his entire being. But, that was not enough.He learned of her illness as she did, but he did not know how far it had progressed until she was admitted into hospital in a critical condition. He had watched as she lay in the white, sterile room, with doctors hovering over her night and day. Finally, the doctors left, one by one. The last, a tall, icy man, had told Hezul that she would need a heart donor if she were to live.He had been shattered, and he began raising money and awareness in the hopes that a donor could be found. Sadly, it seemed that Fala had a rare blood type, and a donor would not be easy to find.That is, until Hezul took the test.He was the next best thing to a genetic relative. His blood type matched hers, and his heart would be compatible. But he would be dead, and he would never see her again.Now, he stared at the wall in the waiting room of the hospital, mulling the situation over and over in his head. If he agreed, his precious Fala would be alive, free to live out the rest of her days as she pleased, but he would not be there to celebrate with her. If he disagreed, she would be dead, and he would be weighed down with guilt for the rest of his life.Would it be so bad, though? Some dark, ugly part of his mind whispered to him in charming, lilting tones. You would get over it. No one would blame you for leaving now.That… was technically correct. Hezul glanced at the door. All he had to do was get up and leave, and he would have his bright, sunny future ahead of him.Without Fala.He dropped back into his seat as quickly as he had half-risen. Without Fala, what was there to life? Was there any purpose to living if he could not see her joyous smile again? What would he do without her?He glanced up as a doctor strode meaningfully towards him.He decided there and then.He would not give her his heart.It was hers to begin with.He smiled at the doctor and said, “Save her. My heart is hers. It always will be.”

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

Why do I feel as if the quality of these is declining? Eh, whatever.Member Name: Ballistic Jello Pickles (Toa of Dancing)Theme: UltimatumWord Count: 551Story: Finality ••••• “You have died,” the creature said. There was an odd air about it. It’s face was that of woman, and its body was also rather feminine, aside from being rather muscular. However, her legs were double-jointed, covered in pure white feathers, or at least the portions showing that weren’t under her robe were. She had two massive wings protruding from her back. “I’m dead, okay...” responded Jerome, “But... who are you?” “You are alive,” said the... Harpy? That was Jerome’s best guess. She wasn’t exactly like one, and in fact a few features were quite distinctly different. Still, that was what he would call her. “Um... what?” “You are dead, you are alive. Is that difficult for your mortal brain to comprehend?” she asked, cocking her head to one side, looking rather concerned, as a child would look at a baby animal that he thought he might have just injured. “No, no... But how can I be alive and dead? I was stabbed in the gut and...” he trailed off, looking at his torso. There were the three stab wounds, a dagger left in the highest. He silently reached up to his neck and felt the entry and exit points of a bullet. So when you were dead, you still had wounds, but didn’t feel pa– Burning, slicing, tearing agony ripped through his body. Jerome collapsed to the pure white floor on nothingness. The Harpy-creature stood there staring, an odd smile curving her lips. “Then you wish?” He could barely pant out, “What... do you... mean? Why am I... AAGH! Why am I... feeling pain after death?!” “Then you do not,” she said, the maddening gaze still locked upon his own. She spread her arms, and the pain eased. “How did you just do that? Why don’t I feel the pain anymore? Where the heck are we, and who are you?” asked Jerome desperately, quickly shifting his eyes from his wounds to the being. “I am what I am, and this is the place where we are. I am taking you where you wish to go.” “I want... I want to go to heaven... If that’s what you mean. Heaven exists, right? Are you an angel, coming to take me there?” “I am what I am, and I am taking you where you wish to go,” she said, closing her arms. “You seem to be set on where you want to go, so we shall leave immediately.” “But... I really am dead? That’s it? I can’t do anything else? I got killed doing my job, and I can’t do anything else?” “I will take you where you wish to go. Willpower being what it is, you decide your fate.” “Can I... go back? Can I live after that? Am I still alive on earth, suffering my wounds?” he asked, trying not to grimace as the pain crept back into his body. “You wish what you wish, I am yours to command,” she answered, fully closing her arms again. Her smile never wavered. “Then... take me back to earth, to–Argh! It hurts!” “Then you wish not?” “No... I want to live... Agh, it hurts so much!” “This will last. It is not just for returning.” “Ugh... that doesn’t matter... Just... take me... home,” was the last thing Jerome said before collapsing.

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

Member Name: Legolover-361Theme: UltimatumWord Count: 593Story: Interstellar LawWarning: Access denied.Error Codes:324a insufficient security clearance.324b restricted / sensitive area.Jasper smiled. Through his HUDs insistent flashing and the vibrations of the spaceship underneath him, he focused on the coding scrolling down his screen. He stopped the scrolling and entered a new line of code to send a bug back to the server. If the trick worked, the server would have to establish a connection with Jaspers laptop to track its location thus providing an opening for another virus to exploit.Warning: You are attempting to access a restricted area without proper credentials. Hacking is punishable by Interstellar Law and may warrant from twenty years in prison to vacuum ejection depending on the severity of the offense.As if Interstellar Law had been written for the people in mind. The people were all stuck in stasis, awaiting the day they would be awakened to traverse a virgin world. Jasper had never believed colonization was in the Colonization Board of Chairmens minds; it was secondary to being able to run a fleet of seven spaceships into God knows where, doing Devil knows what, partially connected with the ever-dropping morale back on Earth and the requirement within mans instincts to go farther than is necessary or logical.In short, they did it for the heck of it. And they were going to mess things up for everyone unless Jasper managed to reveal the Board of Chairmens lack of organization.Hence the hacking.The connection hadnt yet been made. Connected as Jaspers spacesuit was, by pipe to the spaceships air system, it could not be remotely shut off, and so someone would have to locate and pacify him if he continued his digital assault.He inserted a block of code into his computers connection request, one that would attempt to access the servers highest-security files and, in the process, plant a bug that would scan the server for a backdoor entrance that would be hinted at in the servers response as the server checked the computers credentials. A twitch of his eyebrow the request was sent. The inter-starship network operated at peak proficiency, and so the server responded within the second. The expected warning message filled Jaspers HUD:Final Warning! The Colonization project does not condone hacking or otherwise tampering with the system. Further attempts to enter a high-security database without proper privileges and against Interstellar Law will result in immediate retaliation.The final warning was forgotten: A smaller display opened on Jaspers HUD, reading, Backdoor entrance found: 108A-947-Y.Bingo.With careful mental prodding, Jaspers spacesuit computer opened a special server request packaging program that could generate fake credentials. He entered the backdoor entrance code via copy-paste and resent the request. Jasper let the server chew on it and spit it back at him.Again, a warning appeared.You have attempted to break into restricted digital space. Punishment will be given. Your computer is being trackedHe swore. The server must have connected to his computer to determine his base credentials, which meant his server request packaging had amounted to naught. Tongue trapped between his teeth, he attempted to access his computers base credentialsTime was not on Jaspers side. His HUD was abruptly wiped of all visuals to be filled by a blinking white message: Do Not Resist. In the same second, a ring of lights was activated, indicating the airlock door had opened. Three figures floated out; their blank faceplates focused on Jasper.He lifted his hands into the air, letting his air cord drag him alongside the spaceship.

Edited by Legolover-361

Member name: Zyke the destroyerTheme: UltimatumWord count: 595Story: Evolution's ChildSystem activatedPlease log in>username: tylercox>password: jenna6Welcome, TylerPlease type a command>chatChat opened. The following users are online:jacob712epic_conordr_morrisonWho would you like to chat with?>dr_morrisonYou will be connected with user dr_morrison.Please wait…>tylercox: I thought we had a deal, Seth.>dr_morrison: So we did.>tylercox: Then where is she?>dr_morrison: She’s been retained for further study.>tylercox: So help me god, Seth, give me my daughter back.>dr_morrison: You know I’m not allowed to do that.>tylercox: I gave you what you wanted.>dr_morrison: You gave us nothing.>tylercox: I gave you money. I gave you my blood. I gave you my freedom. You call that nothing?>dr_morrison: I’m sorry, Mr. Cox, but your daughter has some rather…intriguing characteristics that we have yet to comprehend.>tylercox: She’s a human being! Not some freaking science experiment!>dr_morrison: That does not change the fact that she is Foundation property and cannot be transferred without permission from the highest authority.>tylercox: I thought you were the “highest authority.”>dr_morrison: As my superiors would have you believe.>tylercox: You mean to tell me that the Foundation has been feeding me lies this whole time?>dr_morrison: It’s all a matter of interpretation.>tylercox: You took Jenna. Is that a matter of interpretation?>dr_morrison: I was referring to the “lies” that you claim to have been told.>tylercox: Morrison, I swear to god, you’d better tell me EXACTLY what is going on or…>dr_morrison: Or what? I have permission straight from High Command to terminate you if necessary.>tylercox: There’s nothing I can do is there?>dr_morrison: Not a single thing.An anonymous user has joined the chat.>???: Mr. Cox, I would suggest you stop pestering Dr. Morrison. He has some important work to do.>tylercox: What kind of work? Torturing my daughter? I can hear her screams from across the building.>dr_morrison: As I recall, Mr. Cox, you asked for a transfer to the cell across from your daughter’s room.>???: Which we denied.>dr_morrison: Speechless, Tyler? That’s what I thought.>/logoffYou have signed out of chat. What would you like to do now?>archivesAccess to experiment archives is restricted to Foundation employees only. Would you like to log on with an employee account?>yesUsername: dr_morrisonPassword: 3/6/1957Welcome, Dr. Morrison. Which archives would you like to access?>040You have selected Special Containment Procedure 040, AKA Evolution’s Child. Which experiment would you like to access?>most recentLoading most recent experiment log…Subject was exposed to [DATA EXPUNGED] for approximately fifteen (15) minutes. For the first ten (10) minutes, subject began to [DATA EXPUNGED]. Personnel outside of the test chamber attempted to open the door, but found it was completely sealed shut. Over the next five (5) minutes, life signs gradually faded until subject expired.Notes: Ten personnel demoted to D-class, ten more terminated one (1) day later. Congratulations, you are officially responsible for the death of a little girl. Have fun getting your neck snapped by 173.You have received one (1) new message from an anonymous user.>openLoading message…I’m guessing that by now, you’ve found out the truth. Well, Mr. Cox, I would say I was sorry, but then I wouldn’t be telling the truth. You are hereby demoted to Class D, which means you’ll be testing all of the other SCP’s. And let me tell you, not very many of them are as friendly as your daughter was. Good night, Mr. Cox.You have been logged off by Administrator.

Edited by Zyke the destroyer

67tlbk.png

Member Name: Panty AnarchyTheme: UltimatumWord Count: 599Story: First Day

First Day

“Today is the first day of your lives. If you do not pay attention, it will be your last. Today, you will complete a series of simple tasks. Those that fail more than a single task will be disposed of. We don’t need incompetence.”The chief of staff recited this speech without any emotion, for they didn’t need it. It was the same every week. A set of engineered soldiers would be created, and they would complete five tasks during the course of the day. Some would fail, and they would be discarded. Many would be successful, and they would spend the remainder of the week undertaking further training. Eventually, they would be shipped out to serve the military forces. Some of the men in front of him wouldn’t live to see their second day. The rest would be sent to war. He felt nothing.One of the soldiers, however, did. His name was 60. He felt that he should have an actual name, since he was a person, not a number. He was also fearful of what the chief had said. We will die if we fail two tasks? He had just been born. He didn’t want to die.None of his fellow soldiers’ faces showed any emotion. He wondered if his fear was normal. The chief finished speaking. They were marched off to begin their tasks. Their first task was a test of endurance. They had to run for the entirety of the appointed hour through a twisting, uneven track with natural obstacles placed at random intervals. 60 found this easy. He finished along with the majority of his brothers, though he saw some, who hadn’t coped with the obstacles, being pulled away by staff. The second task tested their strength. They had to pull or push weighted objects across a track. 60 found this slightly difficult, but he still completed his duty in time. Others were not so fortunate. Some were pulled away by staff. Others, who had also failed the first task, were escorted by the chief to another room. They would not leave it ever again.The third task saw the remaining soldiers being split across two teams. Their task was to shoot down the other team. 60, barely noticing the weight of the mock rifle in his hands, was skilled in stealth. But he did not do any shooting. Towards the end, however, he found one of the opponents in his crosshairs.He couldn’t press the trigger. This time, he was one of the ones pulled away by the staff. They delivered a simple ultimatum: Never hesitate, be ruthless, and be wary of failure. He could not fail again.He hardly noticed his fourth task, his fear too potent. It was a test of accuracy, and he was relieved to succeed, but all too scared of his fifth and final task.The last task tested his ability to obey orders. The remaining soldiers were placed in a virtual scenario, where they would be raiding and plundering an enemy village, fighting its forces. He could not take the horror he witnessed. “Number sixty, enter the orphanage to your right. Shoot down the staff, take the children hostage. Signal your squad to take refuge there. Number sixty, do you hear me?”He did, but could not believe his ears. Why would anyone do this? He didn’t understand. He dropped his rifle.The ultimatum hadn’t served any purpose. He had been flawed from the beginning. He could never condone this.Later, 60 joined a few others in the small room. Nobody wept for him.

AXKP5KC.png

Member Name: PyrrhonTheme: UltimatumWord Count: 421Story: Payment"I'm not going to pay you, I've already spoken to people like you before, and I'm not going to put up with your kind here." The first person spoke with a frown, standing behind the counter of a simple restaurant."Look, if you don't pay, we'll have to come back by. And I really don't think we want that, now do we?" The second commented with a twisted grin. "Personally, I'd suggest paying.""You're not getting any money, you filthy slime." The owner remarked with a grim face. "Get out of my restaurant. Now.""Sure, sure. Next week then? We'll come by for payment, and then decide what's going to happen to this lovely little place if the payments come up short." He chuckled, walking out of the building with a smirk.The owner sighed, shaking his head. He closed his eyes, muttering to himself. He didn't have much of a choice here... there was either pay, or lose everything. It wasn't right, it wasn't legal... but there was nothing he could do about it. He would have to think... and hope for an idea in time.---"So, you have the payment?" The Extortionist was back again, exactly one week later. The grin on his face was sickening. "Or are we going to have some fun?"The owner sighed, handing over an envelope. "Five thousand exactly... here."The second smiled at the look of defeat upon the owner's face as he flipped through the money. "A pleasure going business with you. I'll be back to see you... in three months, and of course, the price is the same." With that, he left the building, storing the cash in his coat.---Within a week, the news had spread, a suspected member of the Mafia was caught trying to spend counterfeit currency. Searches of his home revealed no other signs of false money, but multiple firearms, along with multiple chemicals commonly found in arson crimes.No one seemed to notice that the Restaurant's basement had been sealed off, nor the slightly unusual purchases being made by the buildings along that block. Individually, none of the purchases meant a thing, but together they spelled a recipe for illegal plans.Over the next few months, more suspected criminals all seemed to meet the same fate. Not one had a printing press for the artificial cash. Where it was coming from, it seemed, would remain unknown.Whenever the news was mentioned in his restaurant, the owner always had a slight smile upon his face.

This is my signature

It has words in it

They don't say much

BZPRPG profiles

Member Name: fishers64Theme: UltimatumWord Count: 593 words (sans asterisks)Story: The Force of Will“Finish that writing!”“I’m trying. I can’t think of any ideas! Well, I can think of ideas, but all of them are horrible. Just horrible. I’m ashamed that I even thought of them!”“The contest ends today. Finish it!”“That seems pretty harsh. It’s not the end of the world if I don’t finish it.”“Well, then you’ve missed out on one more chance for fame and fortune.”“Fame and fortune are trivial anyway.”“Finish it! That’s final!”“Okay, fine, I’m finishing it.”“You’re writing down what I said. That’s a cheap cop-out.”“What you said is indeed an ultimatum. It works.”“Ultimatums aren’t that short. They’re letters.”“Read the dictionary. It’s a final set of terms or a demand, that, when not complied with, will lead to a severance of relations or use of force.”“Knock it off, Professor. I want a story about an ultimatum, not some pointless definition.”“Very well.”

When my father was still alive, I was sent off to a boarding school.“Those beds be made picture-perfect, or it’s off to the office for you!”No one wanted to face the chief administrator of the school in his office. He used to be a wrestler back in his prime, the kind who actually won state championships. So we complied, in a way.“Whatever you do, don’t touch that closet door!”The Administrator’s snarky grin was there to back that up. “Violators will be sent home – and not allowed to complete the remainder of that year’s coursework. You all know what that means.”Now, you have to understand, I was an inquisitive young man, and so I immediately set about the task of figuring out was behind the door. Without the Administrator knowing, of course.Our rooms were locked at night, so my first challenge lie in procuring a lock pick of sorts. I did this by inventing an excuse involving a pair of pants that needed mending. This was also the trip I used to seize a flashlight, an essential component of my plan.As for getting the coin I needed for these essential purchases, I sent a letter to my gullible younger sibling with a threat of improbable proportions that adequately fit his young imagination, and was rewarded with the contents of his entire life savings. I have since repaid him, with a considerable sum added for his trouble, but that is another matter entirely.After the difficult task of getting the items within was completed, I had the grim satisfaction of slipping out past my slumbering bunkmates. For your reference, lock picking is quite a noisy operation and incompatible with the silence needed to sneak out of a room at night, especially for one as inexperienced as I was. Needless to say, at various stages of the operation I had to make various creative excuses as to the matter of me standing in front of a door and fiddling with it in a most unusual manner. Fortunately, my bunkmates were weary from exertions mental and physical.It was a simple matter of traversing the path to the forbidden door, opening it, and viewing the area beyond, an area with glossy spider webs that reflected the glimmer of my inquiring light. Further investigation revealed the trappings of a root cellar, nothing that seemed to be of importance. It seemed that the Administration’s prime concern was of young men taking culinary advantage of the school’s food supply, the reason for their ultimatum.

“So that’s my story about an ultimatum. Now you have to write yours, and that’s final!

A fictionalized edition of an episode that unfolded in the vast annals of military history.Member Name: SumikiTheme: UltimatumWord Count: 596Story: AntagonistsThe colonel walked slowly out of his dark green tent, fastening up the dull buttons of his overcoat as the chill that permeated the air of this cold winter morning swept through his body. They were in the middle of a valley, with a network of trenches extending out in a spider's web of patterns. Men of all creeds hunkered down next to their weapons, trying to keep themselves warm by various methods. They had long since run out of coffee and food was now running desperately low. The men that were out there were getting down to their basic instincts of survival and fight, running off of the steam of their own last reserves combined with the awakening and driving force of their adrenaline.He looked on his men and allowed himself the brief pleasure of a smile. He had commanded these men for nearly the entire war. He had witnessed them in their greatest moments, and he had been there with them when they had lost so many of their comrades.Now was not one of their greatest moments. The enemy had pushed, although they thought the war would be over quickly. Their line had been stretched too thin for the winter since no one expected such a surge from the other side when they and their people had been even more miserable than the poor state that his men were in now.They had been cut off; they had been surrounded. Supplies, when they reached them, were dropped from high in the air, and the enemy had surrounded them on all sides. His men had fought hard and brave, as he expected that they would. However, it's hard to fight without ammunition, and more than one time they found themselves ready to fight hand-to-hand, though it hadn't come to that yet. If they didn't get a new supply of ammo, and soon, then that might have to happen.Today, though, something was different. The shooting, which had been so constant for so long, had finally halted. If this was a brief reprieve or a tactic by the enemy, no one could say, but the poses of the men in the trenches was one of relief. After all, they didn't know when they might get to rest again, if they ever got to at all.Slowly, a lone soldier approached their lines, carrying in one hand a pole with a white flag, and in the other, a small envelope. He placed it at the edge of one of the trenches before hastily returning to the relative safety of his own line.The envelope was delivered with alacrity to the colonel, who swiftly tore it open and read its contents, which had obviously been translated somewhat badly. In short, it demanded complete surrender, pointing out what had been on his mind for so long: they were completely surrounded and were in imminent danger of being completely annihilated.The colonel walked back into his tent, shaking off the snow that had gathered on his shoulders. He placed the letter down on the table, smoothing its crinkled face out as best he could.Taking his pen, he wrote a great big singular word across the bottom of the letter: NUTS.His men were weary, veterans of many battles before, but they sure as heck weren't going to back down now.Going back over the word a few more times to make it even clearer and bolder, he sealed it up, handing it off to a private for deliverance to the enemy's lines.Suddenly, a strange thought struck him:It'd be funny to see their faces when they read this.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Member Name: MaganarTheme: UltimatumWord Count: 600Story: Earth Space-Ship Ultimatum“Captain of ESS Ultimatum!”I opened the communication channel. “Yes?”“We have the collaborators and are approaching ESS Hermes, but they’re not making it if you don’t hold against the approaching hostiles!”The collaborators. They might be the way to end this war peacefully. This sect of the alien forces had managed to translate our language by gathering their species' best linguists. Unfortunately, that got them labeled traitors by their own government. They’d gotten away safely to a human colony world and we were now trying to evacuate them before their own forces exterminated them. This battle would decide if the war ended with a treaty… or with eventual genocide.I sighed. “Understood. We’ll hold.” The evac shuttles were not capable of faster-than-light travel. If we didn’t hold until they made it to the ESS Hermes, they were goners. Aside from the Hermes, which had to stay clear of fire so the allies could board, we were the only cruiser in-system. The Ultimatum was so named because it was supposed to deliver precisely that: an offer to flee in face of its might or die. I hoped it would live up to its name, but there were three alien cruisers approaching with a full complement of fighters. This would be a lopsided battle, even for the Ultimatum. Suddenly, plasma fire was searing our shields.“Prep stealth bombers!” I commanded.“Captain, there’s too many enemy fighters; they ain’t getting out of the hangar!”“Don’t question it; I’ve got a plan. Where are we taking the most damage?”“Sectors 2G and 4D.”“Drop shields in 2G.”“What! Are you mad?”“If you think that’s strange listen to this: bring the port side to face the first ship and make sure they have a clear shot at 2G.”“You’re mad.”“Just do it.”Meanwhile, I gave the stealth bombers orders to fly out of the hangar and ordered all Ultimatum’s escort fighters to loop around behind us and to redirect all power from their shields to sensor jamming instead. I got a lot of fighter pilots raging that they were going to get shot down with no shields up, until they saw the tactical uploads I sent to their dashboard displays.Tempted by the obvious weakpoint on our vessel at 2G, all the enemy dogfighters and bombers swooped in close. This cleared them away from the hangar and the stealth bombers flew out unharmed. Despite having their shields down, the friendly fighters were ignored by the enemy dogfighters because they were too busy unloading fire on 2G. The fighters then laid on suppressing fire that forced the enemies to swoop in even nearer to our hull. They were practically touching our exterior.With the sensor jamming our fighters were causing, the enemy fighters never realized that Sector 2G was now facing their own cruisers… or that said cruisers were unleashing heavy fire on that area, at least not until it was too late. They enemy fighter/bomber complement was largely swept up by their own cruisers’ fire as a result.I reactivated shields in 2G and they soaked up most of the remaining heavy fire before going down, for real this time. Now we were in a dangerous spot, but our bombers, which had remained unnoticed, were about to do their job. Two of the cruisers erupted into flame as our bombers launched shield-piercing torpedoes. The last tried to flee, but now it was outgunned. It didn’t make it.“Allies aboard the Hermes. I don’t know how you did it.”“Engage faster-than-light drives, my scanners show more cruisers inbound.”And then we were gone.

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.

Well, this was another interesting idea that was a combination of a lot of my other ideas, and I thought it worked well. I had to bring a GLaDOS AI back in, of course :PMember Name: ClickTheme: UltimatumWord Count: 600 (again)Story: Marathon's GauntletJust another day at work; I had arrived early to get another project done, threw my suit coat over the chair, and opened my computer.That’s where the normalcy ended, with large red flashing letters taking up my entire desktop:Damian Gayer, The situation had become critical, and we need you. Attached to this message is another message for you to take to the next city, Newark. We don’t have time to send it electronically; you will need to run it. If I were you, I would begin now. Failure will only bring death not only to you, but to both cities, and possibly many more. Run now, Damian. You have been put on Watch, so if running from the AI isn’t enough, you have the law to deal with. Our hopes lie in you.It was unsigned, but I knew who it was from. The attachment was quickly printed, and my suit coat went on. It was going to be a long run, but I had been ready for this for months.By the time I got to the front door, the metallic feet were already ringing down the block, accompanied by explosions, gun fire, and screaming. I decided the back door would be a much better option if I wanted to survive.My company’s underground tunnels had been built for two reasons: one, in case a mass exodus from New York was needed, or two, in case of this exact situation, where we knew we had fallen and there was only one more hope, and I had the entire city resting on my shoulders as I ran like I had never run before, the steady clomp of heavy feet above me providing a great motivation.Eventually, I had to surface to cross the Upper Bay into New Jersey, and I could see the gleam of metal on the horizon. The AI’s bots were fast, I’ll give them that, but I was faster. By now, I had lost my suit coat to the tunnel and my pants were beyond repair from numerous puddles and trips, but all of that was past me. I had to get to Newark, or thousands more people would die in this coup d’état of humanity.Gasping for air, I made it to my destined location in Newark. The council seat at my company’s branch was taken up by a large man in a bursting suit who was noisily munching on an apple. A massive glass window took up the rear of the room, revealing a spectacular view of the company’s décor and inner workings. Breathlessly, I handed him the small piece of paper that had caused this entire thing. After a brief read through, he nodded and was getting up as I finally noticed a reflection of two red lights in his window. We both stared in shock at the invader to our meeting.“There you are, Damian. We have been looking all over for you and that piece of paper you have there.” The AI’s voice seemed to come from everywhere in the room as its servants marched into line around the perimeter of the room. We now faced a gauntlet of shining automatons with charged weapons, ready to take us out at the first sign of movement.“Since it seems you are not willing to comply with my demands, I will make you an ultimatum: Hand over your ultimatum, and you will live. I have heard that death from my weapons is unpleasant.”I had already made my decision, months ago when my company planned for this. I took my final steps…

Member Name: ExcelsiorTheme: UltimatumWord Count: 600Story: ThreatBill stared at the strange figure in the street. It had been trying to get into his house for over half an hour.Bill wished he wasn't alone in the house. But his father was at work, and his mother and little sister had gone clothes shopping. She had worried at the time about leaving him alone, but he had assured her he would be fine. He'd changed his mind now. Sure, his family members would be back by night, but night seemed far away. Right now he was besieged by an unnatural figure.Its ordinary suburban surroundings seemed faded and insignificant beside it. It was perhaps seven feet tall, and glowed with a dazzling radiance. But perhaps most impressive fact was that Bill was evidently the only person around who saw it.Women gardening, children playing or riding their bikes, people walking dogs, obliviously continued their daily lives, some passing within inches of the figure.His blazing eyes locked on to Bill's, as the boy stared from his bedroom window into the street."I know you hear me, Bill," his voice said clearly. "I speak with the mind, not the tongue. Answer."Bill answered, also in his mind. "What are you?""That's not important," the voice assured him. "The important thing is, you refuse to let me in the house. I've called you, tried to get in-""I noticed that," Bill said, trying to sound cool and unafraid. Just a glowing invisible telepath dude, that's all. Nothing to worry about. "The giant lightning bolts shot at the door were something of a giveaway. Not that they did any damage, oddly.""Let me in, Bill," the voice coaxed. "I need to come in. Your mother asked me to come and find something of hers."Bill snorted. "The only thing my mom told me about strangers coming to the door today was Don't let them in. Which she says every time she goes somewhere. Why should I believe you? Tell me what you want.""Let me in, child," the voice said, beginning to grow impatient. "The matter which brought me here is not one to be discussed in public. I must enter your house. I will enter your house.""Let me in."Bill stood, backing a pace from the window. He was remembering things his parents had told him before, when they had both had to leave at once."Never let anyone - anyone - into the house when one of us isn't here. You'll be safe as long as you stay inside." "We have some valuable things in this house. Very valuable."And that very morning: "Promise you won't let anyone in while I'm gone, Bill, even if you know them. Promise."He'd always thought his parents were a little paranoid. But obviously they'd known more than he did.And apparently "valuable" meant more than he'd assumed."No.""It wasn't a choice." The voice had grown angrier. "Let me in. Now.""Or?" Bill prompted."I may not be able to enter the house, Bill, but I can destroy it." The figure was plainly enraged now. "And you with it."Bill took a deep breath. "Don't know if you're telling the truth or not, but I refuse."Not letting you in. Sorry."The figure gave a scream of fury and - DisappearedBill collapsed on his bed, trembling with relieved strain. He was going have a strange story - and a lot of questions - for his parents that night. But for now, only one thing mattered.The figure's ultimatum had just been a bluff, and he had successfully called it.

bannerwithstrangedevicesmall.jpg

My writings:

The Toa Ekara - Visions A short story. Ga-Koro Mobs My entry for the LSO Comedies Contest. Team Extempore's entry for the LSO Epics Contest

Member name: Space: Ocean of AweTheme: UltimatumWord count: 599 wordsStory: Catch 22I can’t do this. This time, it truly seems that there is no alternative. Countless times, I had escaped tight situations, always choosing the third option when provided two choices. Now, I have no hidden alternatives, no escape from certain doom.Today is the last day to dawn on one Earth colony. It’s up to me to decide which. If I press the button, a planet, ridden with countless terrestrial immigrants, will be destroyed. If I refuse, my own colony will meet the same fate. If I tell anyone about this, we are all doomed.I received the the transmission from Earth via Quantum Communication at 1713 hours. The New Terrestrial Government, founded by the three Corporations, needed their people to remain on Earth, they couldn’t lose them to the colonies. I was assured that everybody would believe it to be an accident, an impact from an enormous asteroid, that brought about such a catastrophe.Why somebody would do this, how somebody could be given so much power, is beyond me. Is the economy more important than the people? Is that really their reason, their justification, for destroying an entire planet?Find the third option. There is almost always a third option. Almost always. I look around the small room they had put me in; there, surrounded by buttons and switches, is the Button. They had offered me a generous share in the Market if I pushed the button, I would be one of the richest people in the Galaxy; I know some people who would take that opportunity, no matter the consequences. I’m not one of them, and I can’t decide whether that’s good or bad. It would certainly spare me this dilemma, but I don’t want to imagine myself with so much power, so many riches, at the expense of billions of lives.Other than the small panel of buttons, a telephone, and a door, the room is bare. I can’t escape: that would mean the destruction of my home world. I can’t press the button: that would be the end of so many lives. I wasn’t told what the other buttons do, but I can’t risk pressing them. There is too much at stake.“Why can’t you do this yourselves?” I don't expect an answer. Then the telephone rings. I have never used a telephone. It rings again, I don’t know how to. I pick it up on the third ring, putting the curved part to my ear, as I have seen people do in 2D photographs. I hear a voice, edged with the slight inconsistency of an artificial tone, on the other end. “We cannot be held responsible, should anybody realize the truth.” I hang up the phone.Why would it be an artificial tone? There must be something that I’m missing, some little bit of information, that would make this all make sense. I think of all those countless conspiracies that I had seen on the Entanglement before it was was censored; perhaps they were not so far off after all. I remember one, which claimed that the Government designed an Artificial Intelligence to manage the economy, but had lost control over the AI, which gained control over the military, among other sectors. Of course. Perhaps there is a third option after all...I pick up the phone and press numbers at random. To my astonishment, the call connects. I speak. “Would you mind asking the Government what their military has been up to?” I walk out of the room. There is nothing more to do. If this fails, we were all doomed anyways.

"Baby, in the final analyses, love is power. That's where the power's at."

Tumblr

Twitter

Wattpad

Ugh, yet another entry written for the sake of entering something. I really wish I had a bit more confidence in most of my entries, but oh well. They stink, so it's simply to be expected. :lol:Name: DespairTheme: UltimatumWord Count: 583Story: HostageI looked down at my bloodied hands, my eyes moist with tears that refused to fall. Littered around me were dozens of destroyed objects, all victims of my despair-fueled rampage throughout the empty house.Empty. She was gone, taken. No doubt suffering as I sat and wallowed in my own misery. And yet… There was nothing I could do. I was no hero, and neither the authorities nor I had any idea who had takenher. All we knew was that she hadn’t gone willingly, but I could have told anyone that much.From within my pocket but what felt like a world away, something began vibrating. After a moment, the realization that it was my phone sank in and I pulled it out, still in a daze had what had transpired that day. Judging by the fact that it had only vibrated for a second, I had probably received a text message from yet another person curious as to what the situation was and to tell me how sorry they were for me, how they knew I was suffering and felt my pain, even while they sat in warm and loving rooms surrounded by those they cared about. It had been difficult maintaining my composure during those instances, and I was tempted to ignore this one until I felt a bit better.However, I couldn’t help but check to see who had sent it.The instant I saw her name, I froze up. I wanted to scream at the world for its playing such a cruel trick on my mind, to weep with joy, and to chastise her for worrying us so much all at once. Of course, deep down I knew that the conversation I was about to engage in wouldn’t end up like any of those. With a practiced motion, I pulled up the message and read it, my confused emotions quickly transforming into a singular, mind-rending, rage.Bring $500,000 to the main entrance of the Wood Hills Mall at 10:00 tomorrow morning.So it was a ransom. A ransom I could deal with. The part that infuriated me was the lack of any mention of their hostage. Even when asking for half a million dollars, they had made no indication that the sum would do anything to free her. For all I knew, she was already dead. It was a cold, distant thought, but once it entered my mind it refused to leave. Still, I couldn’t just abandon her.I knew I should talk to the authorities about it, but something stopped me. I don’t know what it was, and looking back I can’t possibly imagine what was going through my head at the time.Even after I arrived with the money I had somehow managed to scrap together at the designated time and place, there was no sign of anyone who might have been expecting to receive half a million dollars. I waited for what felt like hours, my heart racing and my armpits sweaty. I was nervous, nervous for both my own safety and the safety the person I was trying to save.Turns out, that nervousness was perfectly justified. For all my efforts, all my stupidity, I received a bullet to the heart. As I lay there, dying upon the concrete and amidst all the gum that people had carelessly tossed aside, I pressed my hand against my chest. I pulled it away, examining the crimson blood. It was beautiful in its own way, death was.

Lacertus

Member Name: xccjTheme: UltimatumWord Count: 507Story: Super Guy’s UltimatumSuper Guy flew to the rooftop, where he found his arch enemy. He had fought off all Man of Badness’s henchmen, and was now after the mastermind. But he stopped in his tracks as he sighted the scene. Man of Badness was holding Super Guy’s girlfriend over the edge of the building.“Stop right there, Super Guy,” Man of Badness. “I have your girlfriend’s life in my hands, and if you want her to survive the night, you’ll do what I say. My escape helicopter is almost here, and if you react before it gets here, I’ll kill her. And that includes shooting me, because if you do, I’ll drop here.”He grinned. “You are at an ultimatum. You can either save her life, or you can try to stop me.”Super Guy frowned. “That’s the best you’ve got. Threatening my significant other.”“Um, yeah,” Man of Badness said with hesitation. “But it’s solid.”“But it’s totally cliché. Almost every villain does it against a hero at some point.”“Well, it totally works,” Man of Badness protested. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”“But it’s not too thought out either,” Super Guy pointed out. “You’re just going to drop her? And if you do off her, what’s to stop me from killing you next?”“Maybe I have other tricks up my sleeve that you don’t know about.”“If you had anything better, I’m sure you would’ve used that instead.”“It doesn’t matter, because it’ll work, and I’ll escape into the sunset.”“Except I can fly. I just wait until you board the helicopter, fly after you, and shoot you down a safe distance away from the city.”“Um… we’ll have more guns on the helicopter,” Man of Badness said. “And they have kryptonite bullets, which are your weakness.”“Nope, my weakness is actually arsenic. And to be fair, it’s also pretty lethal to most humans.”“Well, bullets will still slow you down.”“Eh, it doesn’t even matter,” Super Guy said. “I don’t even have to choose.”“What? Sure you do. Your girlfriend’s life is in your hands, and if you don’t do what I say, I’ll kill her.”“Yeah, you said that. But I don’t have to do anything and you’ll still lose.”“Oh yeah, and why is that?”“Because my girlfriend is actually a black belt in karate, and you have her in an improper choke hold.”“What?” Man of Badness said, puzzled.The girlfriend reacted, slipped out of the villain’s grip, grabbing his arm and swinging him around until his wrist was broken, and then kneed him in the gut. Man of Badness fell to the floor in a heap, defeated.The girlfriend looked sternly at Super Guy. “It’s about time; I’ve been waiting ages for you to rescue me. Why do I always have to play damsel in distress? Besides, this made me miss my palettes class. So I have an ultimatum for you; stop rescuing me from kidnappers and let me take care of them myself, or find yourself a new girlfriend.

THEME #10:

character.png

Character Story

Now, this one is a little different. Here you will be given a list of defining traits. You are to write a story about the character they belong to; however you interpret things is fine, but your character must have these traits/features:

Quirky Traits: Has a tattoo of a wolf wearing a crown, likes to wear a hat

Remember this is a COT Theme. Entries must comply with all rules posted in the first post.

Deadline:

June 6th, 6:59 AM EST

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender