The Slender Man Mythos

Sumiki

How terrifying is MH? I have never seen it, but am Interested.

The first time you see Masky is still the scariest moment for me out of any Slendy series. And that's from MH. I'd say MH is the scariest, EMH has the best writing and acting, and TT has the best effects.
That's why they're called the Big Three.

And yeah, when Masky shows up in Jay's room ... yeah, creepiest moment ever for me.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

That, and right before it, in the house, did it for me. Almost caught up on Dark Harvest. I was hoping for cheap scares; kind of disappointed.

Personally, I thought the hand reaching and opening the door was pretty freaky.

Slender Man is the only thing that has ever made me wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat. Apart from being sick, but that is being sick. Slendy is just... creepy...

They were called Tenno. Warriors of blade and gun: masters of the Warframe armor. Those that survived the old war were left drifting among the ruins. Now they are needed once more.

The Grineer, with their vast armies, are spreading throughout the solar system. A call echoes across the stars summoning the Tenno to an ancient place. They summon you. 

Allow the Lotus to guide you. She has rescued you from your cryostasis chamber and given you a chance to survive. The Grineer will find you; you must be prepared. The Lotus will teach you the ways of the Warframes and the secrets to unlocking their powers.

Come Tenno, you must join the war.

The Slenderman followed me into a dream once. He had something ridiculous, like a pink parasol or something, and flailed around like one of the wavy-inflatable arm guys. Despite this depiction, Slendy is pretty terrifying. It really scared me the first time I found it.

"An old silent pond...

A frog jumps into the pond,

splash! Silence again."

-Matsuo Batsho

I gotta say Marble Hornets went down the tube in season 2, it just doesn't have the same mysterious feel it has more of a "movie with bad acting and grade-B movie plot" feeling anymor.

Edited by Jimothy

Lonliness echoes through my mind like the reaper's footsteps,

Creeping, crawling until every reverberation of it fills my thoughts,

As the inky blackness of night overwhelms me and I begin to despair,

His hand, the One, will always be there to pull me through.

Don't you just love it when you lose all your BZPower info as well as your email info and are forced to use an old alt? I know I do!

The MarbleHornets guys were asked once how they made the Slenderman figure, and while they couldn't say, they did say that it wasn't exactly the best idea for a halloween costume and can get one in trouble with cops for it. This all but confirms that they do indeed use a human for it. Not CG by any means.

I wouldn't say that. Early on, when he's seen behind Brian by a doorway while they're sitting in a car (entry 7, I think), his arms look pretty long. The one where he walks into Alex's room is hard to tell, though, because he's lit from the back and you can't make out much of him except height.

rahkshi_symbol.png

Oh yes, you're right about him having the long arms in Entry #7. But in that case, his appearance is still inconsistent, as his arms are definitely significantly shorter in Entry #14. Looks to me like they had two versions of Slendy, one that's a person in costume, and another that's just a prop, used in shots where no movement is required.

Re-watching entry 14, yeah, that looks much more like a guy in a costume than most of the others. His arms aren't nearly as thin as most of his other appearances, either. Entry 6 is the one that gets me, though; he's really tall and thin in that one, and really doesn't look that much like a person in a costume, yet he's moving fairly smoothly.

rahkshi_symbol.png

Oh yes, you're right about him having the long arms in Entry #7. But in that case, his appearance is still inconsistent, as his arms are definitely significantly shorter in Entry #14. Looks to me like they had two versions of Slendy, one that's a person in costume, and another that's just a prop, used in shots where no movement is required.

The MH guys (Troy and Joseph, for anyone wondering) have said that a mannequin was not used. Wouldn't be surprised if they removed the extendo-arms in 14, though, to give whoever's inside a bit more realism in opening that danged door. :P

The MH guys (Troy and Joseph, for anyone wondering) have said that a mannequin was not used. Wouldn't be surprised if they removed the extendo-arms in 14, though, to give whoever's inside a bit more realism in opening that danged door. :P
That's pretty odd, because if they're using a person inside the costume, then I don't know why they wouldn't take advantage of that. In all the recent shots slendy has just stood there, completely motionless. Which looks silly because then you get the impression he's just a mannequin or whatever. slendermancomparison2.jpg For example, the above shot in Entry #44 where he stands there for about 10 seconds before the camera goes blank. I've watched that as closely as I can plenty of times, and I don't see any movement from him. No signs of breathing, or any slight head or arm movement.

All I can say is that, going by an interview with the creators, that mannequins are expensive and they couldn't afford one. Could they have just looped the video? I know the fan's running, but with a few quick cuts that would be relatively simple to mask.

That just makes it scarier, doesn't it? Honestly whenever he's moving it takes all the scary out for me. It just looks silly.

Iunno, I think he'd be scarier if he didn't look so fake in terms of movement. If he had shown any signs of being alive in the aforementioned shot, I think that would have made it scarier. I do agree that any extensive movement would ruin scariness, though. Like in Entry #14. Edited by Brickeens

I agree with Sumiki, I think Slendy was at his freakiest when he was moving. To me, that's what made MH stand out in the first place. Up until then, we just had pictures of him lurking around in the background, but how long can that stay scary? Then suddenly, BAM, there he is, snapping his head around to look right at you. Right from the start, they breathed life into this thing and showed that it's a tangible being. It dawned on me that some of my favorites- Entries like 6, 14, and 26- were the ones where the Big O was doing more than just standing there. I think Marble Hornets is a little less insomnia-inducing now not because we've gotten used to it, but because all he's done throughout Season 2 is stand around.

p

I dunno, any sort of "fast" movements sort of ruin the effect for me. You've got this freakish humanoid demon thing who causes disturbances wherever it goes and seems to be able to teleport at will. Oh look, he's opening someone's door and walking into their room. Why not just appear for a few seconds in the corner? I think the standing-around-doing-nothing is the scariest part. You have no idea why he's there or what he's doing but it's freaky. Like entry 11. Alex walks right past him without even noticing. That is scary.

OpAXNpl.jpg