Toa Ignika

He could have, but, firstly, I think that was avoided storyline-wise to avoid a cop-out ending (:P), but I think I remember something incorporated into the story along the lines of him fearing the mask's power...or something like that, perhaps.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

Technically Toa Ignika was the mask, with a body, since the mask has been alive all this time. :)I'm not sure if by "the Makuta" you mean Teridax, since he was once called that, or all the members of the species. Either way, Teridax had an important destiny so killing him might have made the repairing of Spherus Magna impossible. And he did fulfill that destiny despite his best efforts not to, heh. Not sure if it's plausible that Ignika would know that, but perhaps.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

He had to sacrifice himself to restore Mata Nui, so it's likely the insta-killing of a single being would do the same. If you mean activated the failsafe countdown, that would just kill everyone. After all, the instant life and instant death abilities cost him. Plus, he has a limit to his energy. He didn't resurrect Mata Nui, he woke him up. And even that took so much energy that his body had to be destroyed.And if you mean the Bara Magna battle, Mata Nui's mind suppressed his. Even if it didn't, I'm sure killing a Great Spirit Robot is just as hard as waking one up.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

I once asked Greg a similar thing:

9)Mata Nui makes the Bara Magna desert bloom again, when it is "bathed with the power of life". But Mata Nui doesn't wear the mask anymore, so how does he access its power? If he could access it, couldn't he simply drain the life out of Teridax?
9) The mask is inside him so he has access to its power. And yes, he could have used it as you suggested -- but this way, it is something he does on impulse and you could argue he was hoping just to knock Makuta out. If we do what you suggest, we make Mata Nui a cold-blooded murderer. My original idea was that Mata Nui knocks Makuta out, then uses his powers to slice the armor open so that the inhabitants of the MU could escape, and that got rejected in Denmark as being too violent.
So that's one possible answer (though to be honest, considering Mata Nui killed Teridax anyway, I think doing it this way would have been easier).Another answer for this specific case is that Toa Ignika was actually an instinctive fighter with little experience. He simply didn't think about it, that's all. A quote from Shadows in the Sky says a similar thing (actually, in this case he does drain a Rahi's life, but I'm using the quote to emphasize his inexperience), and also says that Toa Ignika doesn't like killing living beings:
The Mask of Life did not like killing any living thing - it felt wrong. But it [...] did not have enough experience in this new body to know how to stop the Rahi without ending its existence.

632461607_Bannerdefinitivopiccolo.png.8e4bc632ba965c6eaef9247ce71df1d7.png
My collection of epics: The Sanctum of Writing

I assume that it could, but it was avoided story-wise, most likely because of the ending that would result. all the Makuta would die, no competition to awaken Mata Nui. So basically, if Ignika did do that, the ending would suck. It would not be as good, even if it didn't suck a lot.

The_Brotherhood_of_Makuta_by_Arzeron.jpg

Comply. Create. Consume.

Like the above poster said, the Ignika followed Matoro's example, deciding to become a Toa.And Toa usually don't kill.
Also very true. In attempting to emulate a Toa, he would have followed the Toa Code.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

Like the above poster said, the Ignika followed Matoro's example, deciding to become a Toa.And Toa usually don't kill.
Also very true. In attempting to emulate a Toa, he would have followed the Toa Code.
Except that it was specifically stated that Ignika was unaware of the Toa Code and had no problem with killing people.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Except that it was specifically stated that Ignika was unaware of the Toa Code and had no problem with killing people.
I have to agree that the Ignika's mind has little in the way of moral scruples, killing people, changing one being into another and erasing an entire identity in the process, trying to kill Pohatu and Co., and so on. The Ignika was certainly capable of sucking all of the life out of the Makuta, and maybe even the Makuta specifically and not take the entire universe with it. Inside the giant robot, it was probably Mata Nui's moral scruples, not Ignika's. Toa Ignika in Karda Nui could have drained all the life out of the Makuta there, but he didn't have the motive or much opportunity to do so. Toa Ignika also didn't know where Teridax was or that he was a threat worth draining the life from. As far as the Toa Nuva know, Teridax is dead - and they couldn't have told Ignika what they didn't know.