Fire and Fire Again

Uncle K.

FFCtopic-1.jpg

To see them individually:

Entry Post.

Tahu: 2-3 hours

Jala: 2ish hours

Legs took the longest, but they both got toes.

Coincidentally, they are looking at each other

since I decided not to do Turaga Vakama.

Just glad to be done.

Edited by Empire

So...much...detail! Seriously, love it!Now, of course I have some more things to say, of course, so let's take it from the top:Nitpicks:-Tahu's pose seems slightly stiff, mostly because the legs are completely straight. Now, 2-3 hours is a rather short time for something this detailed, but it did catch my eye. If I turn that pose to a sideview in my mind, it seems like there is a straight line running from the ankles up to where the upper torso start, which is bent forward slightly. Even for a biomechnical being, a slight bend in the knees would definitely make him look a little more relaxed and make the pose more natural.-Tahu's Off-hand is a bit too small, considering you stuck quite a bit with the set-proportions on both him and Jaller. You've got the whole big lower legs going, Jaller's big feet, Tahu's broad shoulders, just that left hand is a little on the small side (relatively speaking). Maybe you wanted to go with the normal rule of thumb and keep the hand the size of one half of the face, or maybe you just dropped into the workflow and just drew it that way without making a specific choice. Anyway, I'm just nitpicking ;)-Jaller's Feet. Again, I see you went with the set-proportions, but while I can definitely see that working for Tahu, for Jaller the huge feet look like he can't walk or run too well with those.Now, on to the good stuff:-The design: I've always been a fan of the way you draw the Bionicle characters and I really like what you've done with both characters here! The way you translated the sets design into your style and the way you draw the Hau and face underneath looks really neat. I also like the design for the torso and how you've kept the segmented stomach and actuator-pistons.There certainly is life to these characters, especially shown in the expressions; and considering you just used flat colours for shading and everything, that is really neat!-Tahu's sword-arm. It's a fact, that thing has always bugged me when I try to draw it in set-style. I love how you've pulled that off here, especially keeping the hilt of the firesword attached to it directly. Definitely a good solution of just giving him the set-like stump or to add a second hand. Definitely makes sense to draw it this way and have him channel the firepower directly into a blade.-Details: For 5 hours of work, that amount of detail is insane. Hands down insane. (Wish I was that fast...need more practice ^^) But yeah, the small pistons on Tahu's neck, the little bolts around the cross-pin in the shoulders, the sword-arms elbow, just to name a few.So yeah, liking this very much and I wouldn't mind seeing the printed versions next month =)PS: Argonians rule ;)

Edited by Vezok's Friend

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

Aaaaaaaaaand... Looks like we have a potential winner!!The style you used here is absolutely fantastic, and it analogs the actual set pieces with utmost creativity! The detail you used is outstanding, and it really conveys that sense of functionality to the characters with all of those mechanisms. The complexity in the characters is so excellently done, and it never feels distracting. Always flows with the more angular styles int he art.The colors you used and how you used them is very impressive. The shading is simple, yet still works for the characters. Easier to paint than full-on gradients.The masks rock so hard! Even tough they're both the same mask, you still managed to make them reflect personality! Admirable!My only complaints stem from aspects of Jaller's design. His feet seem disproportionate to his body, but since you were going for some set-accuracy, it works. Something about his torso also seems a bit wack, but that's the set accuracy again. Other than that, not much else bugs me.Anyways, the style, coloring, and craftsmanship here is outstanding! I love this, and it's definitely got my vote (assuming I don't enter the contest :) ).LOVE THE MASKS!!!

Edited by Nytrone

nytronepic2_copy.png

Definitely among the best Tahus I've seen as of yet. My only complaints are the sword hand, the abundance of silver, and the lack of a sword. Otherwise, Tahu is outstanding. Jaller is great too, although he still shares the silver issue with Tahu. I mean, the silver's not necessarily a bad thing and it adds more detail, but I'm just used to seeing pure red and orange versions of Tahu Mata. Definitely one of the best I've seen, though. Keep up the good work.

~ DoomIgnika ~ (too lazy to make an actual sig)

Wow! These entries are amazing! I really like the coloring choices. As an older fan, I appreciate the reference to Jaller's staff from the game. Some of the details remind me a little bit of Iron Man, but not in a bad way. Overall made my day!-GNG

That's a nice contest win you have there. :PI like the true to set detail of Tahu not having a right hand. And Jaller. Just that trident fork thing fills me with MNOLG nostalgia. If that doesn't win the Jaller part of the contest, it's a crime.Not being much of an art critic, I can't give you any constructive advice, so good luck with the contest, not that it's needed. :)

Edited by Taipu1

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

:kaukau: People have already gone into detail about the detailed details. So I'll do the sane thing and instead of commenting on them all, I'm just going to stand back and admire them. I mean, this is a great demonstration of imaginative thinking, and I like how you realized it with digital painting, which really enhances this. The look really reminds me of a combination between Iron Man and, due to the feet, Optimus Prime. There's some art I can kick butt on, but this lies outside of my talent.Due to art like this, I would have rather seen a Bionicle TLR that wasn't too literally based on the sets.Merida

That's a nice contest win you have there. :P
It would be a ssssshame if ssssomething were to happen to it. :PYep, I'm jealous. You have awesome drawing skills, I'll have to try out a few ideas based off this sometime. I really like the whole flow of it, from the boxy, mechanical mask to the small details on the joints and sword. That's just awesome. It's going to be a tough contest!

Nitpicks:-Tahu's pose seems slightly stiff, mostly because the legs are completely straight. Now, 2-3 hours is a rather short time for something this detailed, but it did catch my eye. If I turn that pose to a sideview in my mind, it seems like there is a straight line running from the ankles up to where the upper torso start, which is bent forward slightly. Even for a biomechnical being, a slight bend in the knees would definitely make him look a little more relaxed and make the pose more natural.-Tahu's Off-hand is a bit too small, considering you stuck quite a bit with the set-proportions on both him and Jaller. You've got the whole big lower legs going, Jaller's big feet, Tahu's broad shoulders, just that left hand is a little on the small side (relatively speaking). Maybe you wanted to go with the normal rule of thumb and keep the hand the size of one half of the face, or maybe you just dropped into the workflow and just drew it that way without making a specific choice. Anyway, I'm just nitpicking ;)-Jaller's Feet. Again, I see you went with the set-proportions, but while I can definitely see that working for Tahu, for Jaller the huge feet look like he can't walk or run too well with those.
Oh man, thanks. I guess I'll address nitpicks, and anyway thanks lots for the comment.-I wanted to give him more of an austere posture, but while his left leg is fine, I will admit his left should be bent slightly. Chalk it up to Kanta finally getting in my head.-I minimized the whole lower part of that arm to take away some focus, as well as keep the size of the fingers and the gap between them reasonable. Honestly, the set proportions are just awful, I hadn't realized how big their heads were, and so yes, he got much more humanized hands.- I did want to keep them clunky like the sets, but they were rushed so yeah, I didn't really get to flesh out making them look as usable as the rest of them.
PS: Argonians rule ;)
You wish.
My only complaints stem from aspects of Jaller's design. His feet seem disproportionate to his body, but since you were going for some set-accuracy, it works. Something about his torso also seems a bit wack, but that's the set accuracy again. Other than that, not much else bugs me.
I will agree that Jala's chest is not really attached to anything in a logical matter, and was constructed with questionable angles.
Definitely among the best Tahus I've seen as of yet. My only complaints are the sword hand, the abundance of silver, and the lack of a sword. Otherwise, Tahu is outstanding. Jaller is great too, although he still shares the silver issue with Tahu. I mean, the silver's not necessarily a bad thing and it adds more detail, but I'm just used to seeing pure red and orange versions of Tahu Mata. Definitely one of the best I've seen, though. Keep up the good work.
What is really wrong with his hand and the missing sword? I understand it's not your personal preference to have a lot of gray, but it was an artistic decision early on to emphasize that these guys were functional robots and the color was just personality.
:kaukau: People have already gone into detail about the detailed details. So I'll do the sane thing and instead of commenting on them all, I'm just going to stand back and admire them. I mean, this is a great demonstration of imaginative thinking, and I like how you realized it with digital painting, which really enhances this. The look really reminds me of a combination between Iron Man and, due to the feet, Optimus Prime. There's some art I can kick butt on, but this lies outside of my talent.Due to art like this, I would have rather seen a Bionicle TLR that wasn't too literally based on the sets.Merida
Oh, I didn't know who you were for a while, but the mask helped when I finally got it.Yeah, the legs are quite boxy, and I now realize Kanta rubbed off a lot more on me than I thought.And honestly, I love to see more of a set design spectrum in movies, perhaps with a healthy medium between the way I portrayed these two however. I like some interpretations on parts and such, but only for functionality and realism's sake. I had perhaps a bit too much fun with them this time- namely the flaps on his hips that resemble socket joints and Jala's segmented torso... The characters in the first two movies (I never saw the third, so I won't make an opinion) were just off putting to me. If I ever become interested enough to watch the Legend Reborn I'll probably enjoy it a lot for that sake, though I can't remember what the characters looked like off the top of my head.Thanks everyone.

:kaukau: People have already gone into detail about the detailed details.
Haha. I enjoyed that line. :)Well, Empire, this is one sharp drawing. Nicely done. I love Tahu's mask. And the way you've placed the arms on him, it feels like you've caught him in midstep...I'm half expecting to see him move forward any sec and give his head a turn as well.Good entry.~Shioi :)
shioibanner1.gif ............WWwww

These are incredible. There's really nothing I can see that's wrong with either of them. I think you definitely have a chance at winning the contest in both the Matoran and Toa categories. At least my Vakama is safe.:P

3DS FC: 0216 - 1922 - 2231

A very interesting mechanical take on the old sets! And Jaller reminds me of the first MNOLG. Very nice work! :D

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

• 5 months later...

Wow... Given that Tahu's my favorite Toa, I love this one. :) It's not nearly as impressive as the Matoran with No Name, but beautiful nevertheless. I like how similar-to-the-toy and yet oh-so-much-more-robotic he looks. Jaller looks great, too. Great staff and shield. Looks like a touch of the style of the original three Bionicle movies in there, too.

After five long years. . . The Master of Fire is back!

Wow... Given that Tahu's my favorite Toa, I love this one. :) It's not nearly as impressive as the Matoran with No Name, but beautiful nevertheless. I like how similar-to-the-toy and yet oh-so-much-more-robotic he looks. Jaller looks great, too. Great staff and shield. Looks like a touch of the style of the original three Bionicle movies in there, too.
I agree he's pretty sweet too, but unfortunately awesomness cannot overcome the horror of a once dead topic brought back to a grotesque and somewhat stilted life - we at BZP feel that necromancy is not appropriate for our website. Sorry!

webbanner.gif

Latest Update: STORM AND SAND