This is my entry to the Hero Factory Recon Building Contest.The archived versionI decided to repost in the BBC this time because I might catch a different crowd here.

jungle.jpg

Anyway, the Cryoboctonid is a beetle/scorpion-like creature that inhabits the jungle planet Quatros.

Preferring colder climates, their uncanny ability to detect temperature changes allow them to determine when prey is near. The name is based off of the scorpion family Caraboctonidae.

Now, to the pictures:

Gallery (when public)Thanks for looking! :)

Edited by Infrared

Nice! I really like the color scheme, and the solid-looking build. I think that the chest appears to be built solid and strong, which is good. The pieces also seem to "flow" together. Also, great scenery! ;)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Nice! I really like the color scheme, and the solid-looking build. I think that the chest appears to be built solid and strong, which is good. The pieces also seem to "flow" together. Also, great scenery! ;)

Thanks, Meiko! I'm glad that you think that it flows well, because if I recall I spent a while working on the shell to make it appear smoother. The chest is actually pretty interesting, because it is basically a Hero torso piece with some BIONICLE parts connected to it (and some Hero Factory arm joints like in the legs to which the actual legs are attached), which are in turn connected to armor and/or a piece on the bottom...I guess it might seem strange in words.

I really like the armor layering on the body and the legs, but I'm always a sucker for insect legs. I'm afraid that the Zamor clip on the tail might be a bit weird, but besides that this is a fine MOC. Rivin

Thanks for commenting! I see what you mean about the Zamor tail: I actually built another scorpion-type Rahi with the same head a while back (I don't want to go into all of the details, but it's explained in one of the replies to the archive topic), but eventually I was playing around and thought it might look interesting with a Zamor piece as part of the stinger...then, I decided to attach it to this (because this is actually a new version of the aforementioned scorpion-type creature). I was able to minimize some of its bulkiness, though. The fact that you can see through it might look a little strange, though.

Oh! I didn't notice this before, but I love the use of a zamor launcher magazine (I guess that's what you call that thing) on the tail. Cool idea.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Oh! I didn't notice this before, but I love the use of a zamor launcher magazine (I guess that's what you call that thing) on the tail. Cool idea.

Thanks! Yeah, like I said above, it can look a bit awkward from the side. However, it does look better than it did originally... :P

Unlike some other MOCs, the added quaza looks great!He actually looks kinda cute.

I'm glad that the Quaza looks okay! I personally don't think it looks as good from the front, so that's why the Quaza picture is at a side angle.

Arrr, sweet, I don't care if that's what you were going for because I think it's gorgeous <3Great colours too.Would like to see a pincey-bitey function in thar

Thanks! Hmm...you can move the pincers independently, and I think that a Scopio XV1-type pincer action might work, but not a full-on one like in the Visorak...

I love the flat-ish shell! The tail is great, but doesn't really flow. It seems very square, although it has some wonderful parts usage. The head could be better, but it fits in well with the rest of the MOC. Good job overall!

I appreciate it! I do see what you mean about the tail being more box-like, and the head was made before (like in the post above, the archived topic goes into more detail).

Lovely. Good shape and build, looks good. Perhaps could use more white on the legs, but I'm not sure.

Thanks! As for the legs, I really can't say. If I recall, I was going to put the armor on the joint connected to the body as opposed to the feet, but they wouldn't attach. I'm pretty sure that they now have small white armor pieces exclusively for LEGO Pick-a-Brick, but I don't own any.