Spherus Magna/Matoran Universe Clock

I remember a while back seeing a topic that mentioned that the sundial on Mata Nui had 18 hours on it, which brought up the discussion if the Matoran Universe ran on a 18 or 36 hour clock. I don't know if anyone ever asked Greg about this or not when he was around, and I can't find any clarification anywhere. If someone could clear up whether they have a 36 hour or a 24 hour clock it would be nice, or if they have the same length day as us, but the hours are simply shorter to make up 36 of them.

36 hour cycles, with 18-hour equivalents of AM/PM (the sundials only work during daylight). See the Story Squad announcement topic about this (auto-logout warning).We don't know how long the days are in relation to ours, only that their years are the same as our years.

It is a 36 hour clock in the MU, and it seems logical it would be the same on Spherus Magna, as I don't know why the GBs would put in a different time system for the robot to what they had on the planet.
It's the same. Might as well just quote the whole thing here:
Recently, I brought up a question about the Great Sundial, and its design in MNOG, where it is depicted with the numbers 1-18 along its rim, rather than 12. I asked how a Matoran day was split up, and how long it would be in human time. Bonesiii said the best answer he could give was that it was considered non-canon, though he saw no reason why it shouldn’t be canon, and suggested I suggest it to the BSS.My idea is that the days on Spherus Magna were divided into 36 “hours”, like our days are into 24, by the Glatorian/ Agori and the Great Beings. When the Great Beings created the Mata Nui robot and the Great Sundial, they made the Sundial according to the days and increments they knew, and thus, in the robot, made night and day the same lengths. [With an 18-hour day/night cycle, similar to our AM and PM.] In the robot, this could also have been so the Av-Matoran, who knew the days and such of Spherus Magna, would have an easier time adjusting to the life in the robot.I can’t speak for the Sundial’s effectiveness on Mata Nui, as it was never used there, and was never intended to, to my knowledge.Also, as a note to the people who are against “those little facts that never get used”, this is a suggestion that Greg Farshtey could use or mention in multiple situations.
Also, although we don't know how the length of Aqua Magna days compare to Spherus Magma, the beauty of a sundial is it works regardless, so the Matoran on Mata Nui are presumed to have made their own sundials with the same number of hours as the Great Sundial, hence why Nixie was not surprised to hear it had eighteen hour markings. Also note that the Great Sundial is almost certainly a special design not intended to function properly as a clock, since the sun wouldn't literally move in a circle around the horizon.We also don't know Bara Magna, but I think it's likely that was very close to the whole SM. Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Okay thanks for clearing that up, I checked BS01 everywhere for a mention of it and couldn't find it, someone should add the 36 hour clock thing. Still though, now we don't know if they basically just have longer days or same length days with shorter hours. Uhh, I guess we'll never know since Greg is gone now.

• Upvote 1