Best way to remove printing from lego parts

Takanuinuva

What is the best way to remove printing from lego pieces. I want to take the printing off my Hero factory 2.0 and 3.0 unique hero armor parts along with some printing from the ultrabuild chest pieces. Rubbing alcohol and a cloth works but takes a very long timeI heard that brasso metal polish works but how reliable is it and is it safe to use. Like should I wear gloves while using it. And would it damage the lego parts.I'm looking for a quick and easy way.Would soaking a part in rubbing alcohol make it easier to remove the printing or would it end up damaging the part.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

Brasso can affect the surface a bit; a new brick may end up a bit duller and an old brick may be shinier. It's safe on normal bricks, but has been known to damage softer plastic.
Also I hear that it can leave "streaks" on transparent parts. Other than that, though, it seems to be one of the favored techniques for print removal among minifigure customizers.

Brake Fluid tends to take anything like printing, paint, or sticker residue off of plastic, metal, etc. The minifig customizers I've talked to recommend this technique, since it doesn't leave streaks or marks.

Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Brake Fluid tends to take anything like printing, paint, or sticker residue off of plastic, metal, etc. The minifig customizers I've talked to recommend this technique, since it doesn't leave streaks or marks.
Sounds like a good way to remove the printing. Any idea how much brake fluid costs. And is it safe to handle on skin?

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

Sounds like a good way to remove the printing. Any idea how much brake fluid costs. And is it safe to handle on skin?
It's not very expensive. 12oz (which is plenty to remove printing off of LEGO) costs between $3 - $5 from what I've seen. It is corrosive, but unless you get a ton of it all over you, you should be fine. The most it usually does is causes sensitivity for a little bit on hands and fingers. It's not too bad for you, as long as you're careful. ;)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are working with a chemical that does not damage skin the body still absorbs things. It is best to wear gloves to reduce the ammount of chemicals that go into your body.I know I probably don't need to say this but I feel like I should because my welding instructors pointed this out to me. It's not going to hurt you if you get a little bit of a chemical on your hands on occasion but if you do it often it can make you sick. Again sorry for sounding like somene's worrywart grandpa or something.

Anything corrosive, I guess. I'd start with nail polish and work my way up from there! :lol:But nah, brasso should do it. :)

• Upvote 1

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012