Hey guys. The last two programming topics are dead so I thought I'd start a new one.I'm interested in the demographic of programmers, web developers/designers, and computer/software engineers here on BZP.I'm personally intensely fascinated by the entire world of programming and am a professional in HTML5, CSS3, Javascript (and jQuery), and PHP.I currently do freelance web design and development but have a job interview for a web development job next week.What about you guys? Also, this topic can be used for programming problems or code review if any people need that, and also for aspiring programmers or beginners who want to know where to start.-SK

Software development engineer (intern) here. At school I tend towards Java, but my job is all C all the time. I've actually come to rather like it.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Hey, a new programming topic!I'm not a professional software engineer or anything, but I have about 3 years of real-world experience with open-source programming projects (one of which is a BZP fangame :)). I've been programming for 8 years or so I guess, with a bunch of different languages: Python (currently my favorite), Lua, C, C++, x86 assembly, plus a little .NET and Java. I also have experience with a few language-agnostic technologies - XML, OpenGL and even some XML-RPC.Anyone have any interesting coding projects they'd like to share?P.S: HTML and CSS aren't programming languages; neither are Turing-complete. Plus, HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language. :) Apologies if I seem a bit pedantic.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

P.S: HTML and CSS aren't programming languages; neither are Turing-complete. Plus, HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language. :) Apologies if I seem a bit pedantic.
Haha, I tried my best to separate the terms "Programming" and "Web Design/Development." But yeah, I just included those because I think Programming can also be used as an umbrella term, and "Coding" wasn't a good topic title. :P (Think of it like this--using HTML and CSS, I can program the file to output what I want :P. Of course, that's really loose reasoning.)I'm working on a massive platform for sites within a network to use. You know, user-sharing and everything...it's a daunting task but it's gonna be fun for sure!I've also worked on some social networking stuff that can't be mentioned here.I'm much more of a fan of PHP and Javascript. I think I'm gonna go for Python and Ruby next, and then after that, maybe C. Objective-C is on the list somewhere and so is C++.-SK

Hullo! I write Android apps, in Java, and I know python too. I'm not in the workforce yet (17), but I use both languages for school. Next year I'm planning on starting a degree in computer science, and I'll be writing code in my free time. Looking to learn Windows app development and web development after I finish school this year, and write some web and desktop apps.Technically, since it's my primary source of income (but it's a tiny amount, just from sales), I'm a professional Android app developer.

Hullo! I write Android apps, in Java, and I know python too. I'm not in the workforce yet (17), but I use both languages for school. Next year I'm planning on starting a degree in computer science, and I'll be writing code in my free time. Looking to learn Windows app development and web development after I finish school this year, and write some web and desktop apps.Technically, since it's my primary source of income (but it's a tiny amount, just from sales), I'm a professional Android app developer.
Sounds good. I suggest, if at all possible, to write desktop applications using either platform-independent APIs or an API layer that sits on top of a platform-dependent API. That way, your desktop application will work on multiple OSes with minimal effort. I imagine the same approach could work with mobile applications, but I'm not 100% sure on this - iOS and Android are both a world apart.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

My programming is terrible. I only know markup langauges. :/So, how exactly can I learn Java?
If you want to learn programming, I suggest learning Python instead of Java - it's much, much simpler (as well as more powerful IMHO, but that's just my opinion). Most of the Python tutorials I know of exist on external forums unfortunately, but there's a few non-forum tutorials that come to mind:

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Yeah, Python's good to start off with. I use Java more, simply because I develop Android apps, and I didn't find it too hard to learn with Python knowledge.Learning to code is actually quite hard, and the language doesn't matter in the end - coding is a mindset, a way of thinking about things. It's easier for some people than others. Once you have the mindset down, learning a language is trivial - I learnt Java very quickly, but Python very slowly, because it was my first language.

Sounds good. I suggest, if at all possible, to write desktop applications using either platform-independent APIs or an API layer that sits on top of a platform-dependent API. That way, your desktop application will work on multiple OSes with minimal effort. I imagine the same approach could work with mobile applications, but I'm not 100% sure on this - iOS and Android are both a world apart.
I'm not too keen on the platform-independent approach. I began app development with some Python experience, and started on a platform-independent IDE called Appcelerator. It used a Javascript runtime for its apps, which, as you can imagine, makes it use much more storage (the runtime was about 5MB) and quite a lot slower. I also found it a lot harder to do anything, because the documentation is weaker (as is the IDE itself - it's a customised version of Eclipse, and doesn't have any kind of layout editor). It's got less APIs than Android, certainly, and I'm sure less than iOS. It also makes the app look worse on both platforms.I lean towards the platform-specific approach. The differences between the platforms are enough to merit my software fitting seamlessly in with each - taking advantage of features, design motifs, etc. Especially now, with Modern UI in Windows 8 being so different to everything else, I'll definitely need to do a separate app for Windows.

I'm not too keen on the platform-independent approach. I began app development with some Python experience, and started on a platform-independent IDE called Appcelerator. It used a Javascript runtime for its apps, which, as you can imagine, makes it use much more storage (the runtime was about 5MB) and quite a lot slower. I also found it a lot harder to do anything, because the documentation is weaker (as is the IDE itself - it's a customised version of Eclipse, and doesn't have any kind of layout editor). It's got less APIs than Android, certainly, and I'm sure less than iOS. It also makes the app look worse on both platforms.I lean towards the platform-specific approach. The differences between the platforms are enough to merit my software fitting seamlessly in with each - taking advantage of features, design motifs, etc. Especially now, with Modern UI in Windows 8 being so different to everything else, I'll definitely need to do a separate app for Windows.
I didn't say the UI has to be cross-platform (though that obviously makes things easier on you) - only the application's logic has to be cross-platform. That way, you can write custom UIs that best fit their target platform while still being able to re-use most of your codebase. That's typically the only option you have if your application's source code is of a non-trivial size (>1,000-5,000 lines of code). You still have to choose a language that works across all your target platforms, but at least you only have to re-write the UI, which, like I stated earlier, is a huge benefit in medium-to-larger applications.On a side note, Python (and PyGame) works on Android - you may want to try it out for Android application development.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

So... Has anyone here ever written in (or heard of even) RPG?I had to near the tail end of my internship this summer. I've never learned it and it doesn't seem like my school even offers any classes that make use of it.I don't want to ever use it again. It was such a huge step backwards from what I'm used to and was difficult to adjust to.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I've rarely heard of RPG being used today - looking at snippets floating around the internet, it kind of reminds me of assembly.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Cool - I used to play ROBLOX back in the day, but they started making some business and architecture decisions I didn't like, so I decided to program my own (currently WIP) replacement. Its site has forums, so I can't link to it, unfortunately. (note to moderators: Would naming my game be alright?)

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Trying to learn C++ right now, but I keep getting distracted by things. I've got the basics, but I'm in dire need of practice. I tend to learn faster with hands on experience, does anyone have any links or ideas of how I can learn programming through "doing" instead of just through instruction and notemaking alone? It'll probably help me engage with the subject properly.

Edited by Artezza Trigger

CrazyFace-Copy.jpg

Even when trapped by Karma's cycle, the dreams we left behind will open the door! Even if the universe stands in our way,

our seething blood will determine what will be! We'll break through time and space, and defy all who would stop us to take hold of our path!

~