What does your family think about you liking Lego

CeeCee

Meh, my parents keep on comparing Bionicle to something completely different like Imaginext or something but I don't listen to them and I buy sets anyways because no matter how much I tell them why I even still play with my Bionicles, they just don't really seem to take it in :S

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

I think they'd like it a lot less if I were into other, less versatile toys. :PMy parents actually both like LEGO stuff a lot, and sometimes even seem to enjoy looking at sets with me. My mother (and my father, to a lesser extent) grew up with LEGO sets anyway.But they're definitely fine with my liking LEGO, and I think they'd be more surprised than me if I ever were to stop liking LEGO.

:P~:b::i::m_o::m::a::n::c::e::r::~

"YOU'D THINK, FOR BEING A DEAD MAN, I'D BE MORE TRIUMPHANT THAN I AM."

My family never says anything negative about it. They think brickcon looks fun and creative. I never worry too much about it though. My Dad always says I can do whatever I like as long as it isn't harmful to myself or others. I am in college so he is more concerned with me sticking to my schoolwork and not getting into drinking or some crazy stuff.

It was years ago that our parents reached the point of considering that we already had enough LEGO, but for some reason, this has not kept us from continuing to buy LEGO sets with our pocket money. Then again, I don't think they ever seriously attempted to keep us from buying more LEGO. And now that I am 18 years old and still build with LEGO, I think my parents have realized that they cannot influence when I stop buying more LEGO sets... believing that the point of saturation will come all by itself. If it comes, that is.However, I find it important to point out that my parents have never disapproved of LEGO. At the contrary, my parents have always considered it a pedagogically valueable creative medium. In fact, my mother used to play with LEGO as a kid, too. What they do not approve, though, is collectionism, which is the reason for which they stopped buying BIONICLE sets in 2003.~Mentos Fruit

Edited by Mentos Fruit

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

What they do not approve, though, is collectionism, which is the reason for which they stopped buying BIONICLE sets in 2003.~Mentos Fruit
Define collectionism.
Buying things only for the sake of collecting them.~Mentos Fruit

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

My parents have never really cared, and my sister seems to think they are fun. about three years ago my mom started saying that I should slack off on getting LEGO Bricks because at some point I won't like them anymore, but now that I am sixteen and I am still collecting them (more for the parts then for the sets themselves) she seems to have realized that it's not going away.

Wyrd byð swyðost

I really need to be more active

My dad is actually an AFOL. Okay, it's more of a side-passion, but he still enjoys it. So he doesn't mind.My mom used to play with Lego when she was a kid, so she doesn't mind.My older sister likes playing with minifigures but that's about it.My younger sister is a fan of Lego like me, although not as big of a fan as me.So mostly my family doesn't really care - although that may change as I get older.

overlordsukapon.png

Well, since Aanchir is my brother, he kind of just said the same thing I would. But if you are physically incapable of scrolling back to his post, here:
My family has always encouraged it and hopes, just as I do, that I will one day get a job with the company.
One difference is that I love to lol at some old themes like Paradisa and Belville, and sometimes even the various gimmicks in Bionicle. Another difference is that I kind of want to get a web development job at LEGO, while Aanchir wants to get a set design job.
Also Aanchir's brother, so the same applies to me. I also hope to get a set design job, and my parents have always supported that. And even if you don't intend to make Lego into your career, I don't think liking Lego should ever be a problem so long as it doesn't keep you from being able to maintain the way of life you choose.
So if I want a job with them, I have to compete with you three? There go my hopes and dreams...I remember for years when I was younger, in the target age group, I was almost as obsessed as I am now. I told my parents that I would always love Lego, and they politely chuckled, and said it was just a phase- but enjoy it while I could! Then a decade came and went and here I am.They'll joke about it sometime, but they're really supportive. They respect it and from time to time I'll make a creation they can appreciate. They don't really get Bionicle-based creations- particularly humanoid things. They don't always get how brilliant the character design, parts usage, and engineering know-how is in even the best Bionicle universe-based stuff. But with larger or functional creations they're pretty impressed. But it's not like they're trying to stop me from liking it or anything.I've had a couple talks that make me think they're a tiny bit worried about my obsession keeping me from real life as I grow up. But that's not a big deal.

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

Well, since Aanchir is my brother, he kind of just said the same thing I would. But if you are physically incapable of scrolling back to his post, here:
My family has always encouraged it and hopes, just as I do, that I will one day get a job with the company.
One difference is that I love to lol at some old themes like Paradisa and Belville, and sometimes even the various gimmicks in Bionicle. Another difference is that I kind of want to get a web development job at LEGO, while Aanchir wants to get a set design job.
Also Aanchir's brother, so the same applies to me. I also hope to get a set design job, and my parents have always supported that. And even if you don't intend to make Lego into your career, I don't think liking Lego should ever be a problem so long as it doesn't keep you from being able to maintain the way of life you choose.
So if I want a job with them, I have to compete with you three? There go my hopes and dreams...I remember for years when I was younger, in the target age group, I was almost as obsessed as I am now. I told my parents that I would always love Lego, and they politely chuckled, and said it was just a phase- but enjoy it while I could! Then a decade came and went and here I am.They'll joke about it sometime, but they're really supportive. They respect it and from time to time I'll make a creation they can appreciate. They don't really get Bionicle-based creations- particularly humanoid things. They don't always get how brilliant the character design, parts usage, and engineering know-how is in even the best Bionicle universe-based stuff. But with larger or functional creations they're pretty impressed. But it's not like they're trying to stop me from liking it or anything.I've had a couple talks that make me think they're a tiny bit worried about my obsession keeping me from real life as I grow up. But that's not a big deal.
My mom probably thinks that I will never outgrow LEGO, much less have a girlfriend....

I like BZP so much, I named my Minecraft account Dimensioneer.

• 3 weeks later...

Dad thinks it's a waste of money, mom thinks I'm too old.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Dad thinks it's a waste of money, mom thinks I'm too old.
It's kind of sad to see how many people's parents think this around here. Lego is actually one of the best investments you can make as far as toys (or basically any other constructive medium) and as an art form and a community, it's not possible to grow too old for.As for my parents, they entirely support me and my brother since they've seen what we build, they know what a valuable hobby it is and what it means to both of us, and they've seen the community online and have been to conventions where they've met some awesome people in person. They realize that it really is an investment and they know that it's not something we will just "grow out of."

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

My parents respect it, since they are well aware of my strong connection to it, and accept the fact that it's really important to me. My brother has been a fellow fan since Bionicle's very beginning, and we still have fun with it. My sister doesn't really offer it much thought, she has her own stuff to think about, like her recent obsession with One Direction.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

I think my parents were probably a little wary of how much I was spending at some points, but short of that, they haven't minded, and they were always willing to buy some as gifts every now and again. Since I've scaled back my purchasing considerably, I don't think this is an issue, although me not cleaning up the floor still is.

My brother just shakes his head, my mother is probably upset that I have taken over 1/3 of the long table with a giant building, and my dad will say "oh my gosh..." but at the same time he helped me take a ton of pictures of one of my MoC's while we were on a skiing trip so...The only person I know that actually has some disapproving notions about my LEGO/BIONICLE stuff if my best-friend-who-might-as-well-be-my-sister. She thinks it is childish and that 19 yr olds should have grown up by now.I tend not to care, but my dad helping me out with random projects is awesome.

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana, B.A. - Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Back when I was buying about a dozen sets a month my Dad was a little concerned about how much money I was throwing into this hobby. Since I've started making my own money and only been able to afford about four sets a year, he actually encourages me to splurge now and then.My Mom does the same thing whenever I come to either of them for financial advice.

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

Neither mention it much, although they used to complain about it more frequently a while back. Probably because I haven't really bought any new BIONICLE sets in two years. Got one as a present this year, but that's all so far.

Edited by toa kopaka4372

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

Belville. Pfft. What do you mean by gimmicks?

iwRQGDg.jpg

gim·mick
Noun: A trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.
Squid launchers could be an example, and so could masks that would fall off if attacked.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

My dad thinks that I'm wasting my money, and I should sell my legos. My mom doesn't really care, and likes looking at what I make... Until I have to clean up legos I've strewn everywhere over the basement. My sisters don't care, and sometimes will get sets of their own to build, but they enjoy taking all my stuff apart. My little brother just pesters me to teach him how to be a good builder all the time.

For the most part, they don't care. My mom, however, has recently said that I can't MOC or go on BZPower during the day on weekdays (though that rule seems to apply to weekends and evenings when she sees me doing either). If only I could explain to her that if I can't use my Lego, I'll just end up finding a less creative way to procrastinate (of course, if I said that I would undoubtedly get in trouble). My sister says the only cool thing I've ever done with my Lego is a sonic screwdriver I made a few months ago, and my brother is indifferent, as are my younger sister and grandparents. My cousins used to be into Lego (and even Bionicle, it was awesome) though they stopped a while back, and now I'm known as "the Lego person". I actually wrote a parody of the song Little Boxes called Lego Boxes (it's terrible, don't read it). I posted it on the old forums I think, but here it is again (because I pretty much killed that topic), about what most parents probably think of their children playing with Lego: Lego boxeson the toy shelfLego boxes made of cardboard stuff,Lego boxeson the toy shelfLego boxes all the sameThere's a Cityand a Technicand Bionicleand Hero Factoryand they're all made out of cardboard stuffand they all look just the sameAnd the piecesin the boxesall come home with our childrenwhere they're made into little modelsand they all look just the same.And there's buildings,and there's race cars,and there's Rahkshi,and Stormer Two Dot Zero,and they're all made out of Lego pieces and they all look just the same.And they all hurt when you step on themand keep the kids from their homeworkand they all get put in boxesand they take up lots of spaceand years later get sold on Ebay,and are a waste of time and space.And the boys go and buy guitarsand XBoxes and iPods,they all come in little boxesmade of cardboard stuffand they all sound just the same.And it won't getthem into collegeor help them raise a familyAnd at the endit's a waste ofmoney and lots of theprecious time, =)

"Baby, in the final analyses, love is power. That's where the power's at."

Tumblr

Twitter

Wattpad

gim·mick

Noun: A trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

Squid launchers could be an example, and so could masks that would fall off if attacked.

Yes, I knew that. But whatever... :P

iwRQGDg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think they care too much, but they do listen to me when I run my mouth about stuff like the Red Star Revelation. That's nice, but they still don't understand it's epicness. I think they are happy the sets are kaput since they aren't spending $100+ in BIONICLE every Christmas. I never really got any system stuff and I never wanted any HF sets. Really all I do with BIONICLE anymore is on the computer, and I do most of it when they're away. So they are a step between "don't care" and "supportive." Although, I bet they are starting to worry about me...

EDIT: Well this post is in an odd spot...

Edited by TNT-DJ Vezon

new_sig_legacy_2.png