Why are after market prices so high?

MasterShadow

(This might be in the incorrect place, I appologize for the incovenece)Since I want to get some parts/mini figs I tried looking at bricklink and some other sites that carry used lego. I wanted to get the Aztec Warrior from the minifig series and he costs 5$. What makes them cost so much and where can I go to get ones that cost a little less?Is there a secret to getting cheaper lego? If anyone is willing to help me find some it would be much appreciated. I would be willing to trade but the only item I have that I am willing to trade is the bride from the minifig series and I don't think anyone wants her. I have an extremely small lego collection due to losing most of them in a move.

For the minifigure packs, the price is higher because 1) some figures are rarer and/or more desirable than others, and 2) buying you're buying the exact figure you want, so you don't have to dig through the box to find it (you're paying extra to guarantee that you get your choice). Given that the market price fro them is $3 now, resale is naturally going to be higher.Generally, the less common a piece is, the more expensive it's going to be. Figures or molds that only appear in pricier sets will sell for more than others, because getting them in the first place is more expensive.It really depends on what you're buying: how old it is and how easily obtainable it was are big factors.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

Well, novelties like Lego sets happen to be one of those items that appreciates, rather that depreciating, over time, especially iconic things like minifigs. I definitely wish they were cheaper too.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

Well, novelties like Lego sets happen to be one of those items that appreciates, rather that depreciating, over time, especially iconic things like minifigs. I definitely wish they were cheaper too.
Yeah that is one thing I didn't expect. I have been collecting magic cards/ yugioh cards and those tend to depreciate unless they are a super good card. I didn't think that lego would appreciate in value faster. Seems like you get an awesome Yugioh pull and 2 sets later its trash. (This is part of the reason I only play casual nowadays)

Yeah that is one thing I didn't expect. I have been collecting magic cards/ yugioh cards and those tend to depreciate unless they are a super good card. I didn't think that lego would appreciate in value faster. Seems like you get an awesome Yugioh pull and 2 sets later its trash. (This is part of the reason I only play casual nowadays)
Yeah, I think it's because it's a novelty. Kinda cause it transcends generations nowadays.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012