Matoran or Tohunga?

Sumiki

Matoran or Tohunga?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I always thought of Tohunga as kind of the name of the weakened Matoran form seen in '01 and '02, but overall I prefer the term 'Matoran'.
tohunga was the species name before they change it to matoran in 2003(if i'm not wrong),but at the time they were still called tohunga, all the matoran character sets released were still on their weakened form, so some people still use the term tohunga to refer to the matoran's 2001/2002 weakened form/buiild

Like Taipu1 said, I use Tohunga to refer to the weakened Mata Nui form, plus in my fanfics having an actual meaning of divided, based on the originally canon explanation of the name change to Matoran. That change was said to be done because Matoran meant United, a re-embracing of the Three Virtues. Prior to that, the villages had gotten so used to life on the infected-Rahi-infested (lol) island, where travel was very dangerous, that in order to reinforce the idea that they should avoid travel, they had psychologically started looking down on the other villages. Later after the events of Mata Nui they realized that was a mistake, and took the old name, Matoran, again, to symbolize it.I go with that, and in history and everywhere else they're Matoran (so far :P).Between the two, and ignoring the whole Maori thing, I like Tohunga better. Just sounds so cool. But Matoran is good too. Matoran has a nice quaint sound to it that does fit them. Tohunga fits them as tough, somewhat eccentric islanders, while Matoran fits a wider variety of habitats, especially Metru Nui.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I'd probably say Matoran.Initially, I supported Tohunga instead, and thought the sudden name change was a cop out. (And then I learned about the Maori thing.) Tohunga sounded more fitting to be amongst the Toa and Turaga, and besides, Matoran sounded too similiar to Matoro who was one of my favorite villagers of the time. But as the story expanded, the term of Matoran seems more fitting and I've grown used to it. And besides, it's easier to say / spell than Tohunga. :P:music:

Both names are equally appealing to me. However, with the lawsuit and all, I perfectly understand why the names changed (I was aware of the issue as a kid, so the in-story changes didn't leave me questioning it too much). I've been a fan since 2001 when Bionicle first started, I think I should mention. I do like both names, but either way they're both describing the same thing in the Bionicle Universe.

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing