Extent of Light's powers.

I was just thinking... As you probably know, light that we can see is just one small part of a large spectrum of electromagnetic radiation. My question is this: how much of that spectrum can Toa of Light, or any being with light powers, control? Just the visible part? Or ultraviolet and infrared, too? Microwaves and gamma radiation?

Here's my credo. There are no good guns, there are no bad guns. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a good man is no threat to anyone, except bad people.

"Light can do a lot of things. It can illuminate. It can welcome. It can warm. As it turns out, it can also make laser beams that slice through protosteel."— Toa Takanuva, Takanuva's Blog
I think it's a matter of control, though. Toa of Fire technically control heat, so any control that Toa of Light might have is probably limited to blasting something with enough light that they heat up. Now whether Toa of Light could "break up" their infrared presence so I couldn't see them with infrared goggles...I don't know. Control of such radiation might be a combo element between light and fire. I like that idea. :)

Since Infrared and Ultraviolet and all the way up to X and Gamme rays are part of Light... it makes sense that a Toa of Light would be able to control them. But there are a few limits. A. Do they even know they exist? B. Assuming they do, it would be a matter of patience, practice and skill to control the... let's call them the Exotic Forms of Light? Since Infrared is Light, a Toa of Light could presumably make themselves invisible to Infrared Goggles, but since they still give off heat a Toa of Fire could probably still since them...maybe...I dunno. In the BIONICLE Universe, I would bet the Ta-Toa could still sense their heat signature.I guess one big limitation to manipulating them (Limitation C) is that you have no clue if they are doing what you want except by seeing the effects, which may or may not be very apparent depending on the Exotic Form you choose to wield, and how that Form would affect the target.

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana, B.A. - Blog

Well, how could Takanuva's shots of light do any damage if it was just visible light? It would basically just blind people, but it couldn't really hurt them if it was just visible light.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

Since they're all part of the electromagnetic spectrum of light, yeah, I imagine a Toa of Light could control them. Whether they choose or think to do so, I'm not sure. Never seen any references to it.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

Well, how could Takanuva's shots of light do any damage if it was just visible light? It would basically just blind people, but it couldn't really hurt them if it was just visible light.-don't touch my pocket protector
Well, it should be kept in mind that it's a fictional elemental power, so the real-world rules aren't necessarily the limit. But I think his standard attack is a bit of a wider range than just the visible light spectrum, sinking a little lower into heat and a little higher into UV at the same time, just like sunlight. A powerful enough beam of that could easily do that kind of damage.Also, even in the real world, different materials respond differently to different frequencies of light, and all respond more to extremely high amounts even without direct infrared radiation. Light also has a slight pushing power (that sci-fi solar sails make use of), and Bionicle's light could have a different rule that this pushing power is much stronger.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Concentrate enough visible light (i.e. a laser) and you can do a lot of damage. That is what a Toa of Light does, send a concentrated burst of light at a target. It isn't so much about what kind of light so much as concentrating the energy of that light into a specific, preferably small, area. From there... boom.

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana, B.A. - Blog