Bionicle For Girls

Alyska

Secondly: Look at the way the characters look. To girls, they think they're ugly robots. So when they hear the female characters look like that, too, they're bound to saying 'no' if they're offered a female Bionicle set. What can we do to change that? Make the female sets look more feminine, I suppose. The masks could be altered to look more softly curved and rounder than the regular Kanohi (Take Gali Nuva's mask, for instance). The proportions should probably be thinner and shorter, and maybe add some bolts at the bottom of the feet, hm? High-heels, anyone? :P

This part greatly confuses me, since I'd consider Gali Nuva one of the least-feminine female set designs in BIONICLE (unless you're talking about the Mistika version, which I feel is slightly better). Furthermore, something that should be considered is that from my understanding, BIONICLE's attempts to create more feminine character designs just made fewer boys buy the sets without making girls show any significantly greater interest. Frankly, BIONICLE is still an action figure theme, and female action figures tend to be unsuccessful in general compared to male action figures.

@Alyska: Yeah, high-heels would be a stretch, but I guess it'd be a confirmation that the set is female. If it was male, that would be slightly scary. o_o But with romance? I suppose Bionicle has a little bit of it. Matau and Nokama, Hewkii and Macku, Hahli and Jaller (sort of, I suppose), and I guess Gali and Tahu. There are relationships that could be developed, but Bionicle isn't supposed to zoom in on romance or love or whatever. It just isn't as important, but I see that it could play a vital role between characters. Nikila and Lesovikk are another relationship that could have been more fully developed - but there could have been choices that the characters would have to make that would have made some interesting story twists. Although I haven't seen the HF show, I guess it would appeal to girls, but only if there were actually more females. The female characters would have to not be your typical girly type where it's unity and 'girl power' or whatever all the time. You'd need a rebellious, brave, and spunky character in order to get girls to watch. But with romance: That could slightly be added, but only in a subtle way, TBH. And comedy is definitely needed. Sure, Bionicle had characters like Nuparu and Matau that could get us laughing, but they were jokes you had to understand from different sections of the story. You could still laugh at it, but some of them you'd have to track back to where the characters came from and their specific personalities, instead of the characters just sprouting out from nowhere. Not all of the humorous characters are like that, but some you've got to know, I guess. With characters: You're right. There are too many characters (to me, anyway) that you have to actually memorize in order to remember them. It's not the same characters all the time, and with each year, it's newer characters. But they don't explain to you why, but you have to, again, see it from the beginning to know why. Girls can't keep on having to deal with newer characters, because if they loved the ones from last year, they'll be disinterested with the continuous changes. I didn't care, but some people might get bored with each change that comes. Either way, there are plenty of ways to get girls to approach Bionicle, but I guess they'd have to, theoretically speaking, alter some of the story for them to understand everything that goes on - specifically the petty details and thousands of different complications that arise through the storyline. :shrugs: @Aanchir: Gali Nuva and Gali Mistika are very non-feminine sets because of just the way they look. Gali Mistika looked chunky sort of and more like a guy; Gali Nuva's mask was like a pig's face, which isn't what girls like I seeing in girl character, I guess. And not to mention Hahli Inika's mustache mask, that isn't a very attractive-looking Kanohi. =/ You want it to actually look like a girl. And, if I'm correct, most guys didn't really buy the female characters anyway, or any of the water sets unless they were just the Visorak or something. They only started buying the water sets in 2009 when they made Tarix and Berix, because the element had finally had both genders, not just the female gender. To be honest, I'd consider that wasn't a good move, because there are already enough male characters as it is. Unless it was just for marketing and trying to get those specific sets to be bought more of, and I guess LEGO figured the best way to increse sales was to change it to the masculine gender for the year. Or something like that, that's just my reasoning. :P

Edited by Peach 00

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

I think that any known series would target people from all different backgrounds. Good example, MLP, it is a series targeted towards younger girls but tons of guys like it as well. All-in-all, any series targeted towards a specific group will get some fans that it wasn't intend for. (Note that I'm not a Bronie in any way, shape, or form but it doesn't mean I have a problem with others liking the series)

Edited by Larnuu
naccu_dancing_gif_by_larnuu-d51e6u5.gifNacuu's Slow Dance!!naccu_dancing_gif_by_larnuu-d51e6u5.gif

I wasn't really trying to say Bionicle needed romance. I was more trying to do an analysis of a show that appeals to both genders, and romance came up as something the other show had that Bionicle didn't. I don't think it's particularly necessary for my (or other girls') enjoyment of the show, but I figured my list wouldn't be complete without mentioning it. Incidentally, in spite of all logic, romance seems to be possible with Hero Factory 'bots. Sure, Natalie Breez denied being anyone's love interest in the podcasts ( It's almost like she read my sig!), but the very fact that she was asked about it in-universe implies that it's possible, if not expected. The sad thing is that poor Nat is not even a love interest. As in, her role in the story is so limited that being romantically involved with another character would be a significant improvement to her importance to the plot.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

I see what you mean. I guess I was just saying that yeah, Bionicle has romance, just not a lot, lol. But I see what you mean, and yeah, I would figure it wouldn't be necessary for my enjoyment, either. :P It seems more possible in HF, but there aren't a huge amount of female characters in the series, so that's probably the downside of that. I might be wrong about how many female characters are in it, mainly because I don't keep up with the series that much, to be honest. But it does seem like it's expected, if the question was asked. The real question is, what character? And that's the sad part, there isn't enough of a significance in the character for there to be any particular love interest. If she's not that important, they probably won't create any romantic interest for her. There's probably a really slim chance, and that's it, I guess. =|

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

slipped away...

They've actually teased at three possible love interests for Breez, none of which seem to particularly interest her (Mak Megahertz asked her about Furno and Surge, and Nex seems to have a crush on her too). She went on the radio show to point out that when you're a female character, everybody assumes you're going to be romantically involved with one of the male heroes. She then proudly proclaimed that just because she's a girl, that doesn't automatically have to mean she's a love interest. She has more important things to do! Like... um... uh... talking to the dumb DJ on the radio! And... appearing in soda ads! And... fist bumping Surge... and... Okay, has Natalie Breez done anything plot significant yet? The writers have been really lazy with this character.

They've actually teased at three possible love interests for Breez, none of which seem to particularly interest her (Mak Megahertz asked her about Furno and Surge, and Nex seems to have a crush on her too). She went on the radio show to point out that when you're a female character, everybody assumes you're going to be romantically involved with one of the male heroes. She then proudly proclaimed that just because she's a girl, that doesn't automatically have to mean she's a love interest. She has more important things to do! Like... um... uh... talking to the dumb DJ on the radio! And... appearing in soda ads! And... fist bumping Surge... and... Okay, has Natalie Breez done anything plot significant yet? The writers have been really lazy with this character.

I think her treatment in Ordeal of Fire was pretty good, but I know others disagree and feel she was too much of a "gung-ho" feminist. She also retrieved that mineral for Stormer in "The Enemy Within". Considering that Rise of the Rookies was almost entirely about Furno's character development, I think that's pretty impressive-- I would have considered Surge more slighted for not getting any real defining moments, and Ordeal of Fire quickly made up for that by having him save the day not once but twice. In general, though, her point in the radio interview was that her job as a hero is what's most important to her. And being a hero doesn't just mean the missions that get you personal glory. Frankly, I figured she was happy just being a valuable part of the team, even when it doesn't give her an opportunity to stand out from the crowd.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is geared towards young girls, but as we all know, a vast majority of the fans are teenaged (or older) males.Couldn't the same be said for BIONICLE? --:ruru:

banner.jpg

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is geared towards young girls, but as we all know, a vast majority of the fans are teenaged (or older) males.Couldn't the same be said for BIONICLE? -- :ruru:

Perhaps, but there's another parallel between the two franchises: both MLP and BIONICLE are merchandise-driven. And while periphery demographics like girls or adults for BIONICLE and adult men for MLP exist, neither group is likely to be a hugely significant influence on sales of the product that actually ensures the continued success of the franchise. I doubt the majority of "bronies" actually buy a lot of MLP toys. If anything, they might buy T-Shirts, but I doubt that's Mattel's primary source of income for the franchise any more than books and movies were LEGO's primary source of income for BIONICLE. The target audiences for both franchises are the determining factor in whether the lines succeed or fail.

I've always thought of BIONICLE as a predominately boy line, and most of us here on BZP are guys, too. If a girl likes it, no arguing there. Remember, this is the site whose topic of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is over fifty pages long, and two thousand posts. :) As for the story, I would really appreciate some more female characters. Kyry could easily have been female, and I heard some rumors about that prior to him being confirmed male.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

(e.g. Avatar: The Last Airbender)

I love that. I w sbionicle ha a bit more feminine sense, im not entirely sure why, but i think it ould be better that way. but HF has no intention of that apparently, because of breez 4.0s shoulder pads, but that would be fun to moc with :takepic: :evilgrin:

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

I love that. I w sbionicle ha a bit more feminine sense, im not entirely sure why, but i think it ould be better that way. but HF has no intention of that apparently, because of breez 4.0s shoulder pads, but that would be fun to moc with :takepic: :evilgrin:
Breez 2.0 is the most masculine Hero Factory set I've ever seen.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

This is true, but I think that the TV show is separate from the toys themselves (correct me if I'm wrong). -- :ruru:

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is almost entirely paid for by merchandise sales. This is why Hasbro (sorry, I said Mattel in my last post; I was mistaken) does not tend to ask for MLP episodes to be removed from video hosting sites-- really, the ability for people to see the episodes on actual television broadcast (with ads) doesn't have any impact on how much income the show generates for them. The show's main value to the company is in that it advertises the characters whom they own and sell as toys.

I love that. I w sbionicle ha a bit more feminine sense, im not entirely sure why, but i think it ould be better that way. but HF has no intention of that apparently, because of breez 4.0s shoulder pads, but that would be fun to moc with :evilgrin:
if i didnt know any better, i would have said she was a boy. when i saw ordeal of fire, i nearly burst put laughing on how her voice contrasted with her masculine form xD

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is geared towards young girls, but as we all know, a vast majority of the fans are teenaged (or older) males.Couldn't the same be said for BIONICLE? -- :ruru:

Not really. Bionicle's fanbase is not comparable to My Little Pony at all. MLP is actively attracting more and more adult fans, while any adults who like Bionicle do so just because they liked it as kids. Right now, My Little Pony has more teenage and adult male fans than Bionicle ever had. Bionicle just didn't do a lot to bring in new older fans, and it doesn't have the word-of-mouth "advertising" of MLP. I think it could have had that kind of appeal, but it would have required a few changes to the story and format. Actually, I think if I'd suggested that Bionicle should be trying to appeal to a wider demographic in general, and hadn't put "for girls" in the title, I think my suggestions would have gotten a much more positive response.

I personally feel that she's more feminine than most of her teammates, but it seems it's a matter of perspective. For me, the headgear helps conceal how angular the 2.0 Hero chin is, making it seem to me like the most feminine 2.0 headgear, whereas for others, it apparently makes her look more masculine. Besides having 9M rather than 7M shoulders, the build doesn't strike me as particularly masculine in any way, either. In many ways she reminds me of the original Gali set in 2001, who also had 9M shoulders unlike two of her narrower-shouldered male teammates, had an angular mask with a visor, and dual-wielded small weapons. The 2001 Gali set did have some more traits distinguishing her from her male teammates-- a socket joint rather than a ball joint on her chest, Technic pins on her hips, and reversed leg pieces-- but it's quite a leap to say that these traits made her look decidedly more feminine, especially this last trait which was shared by Onua in the same wave. Breez 2.0 certainly wasn't an outstandingly-feminine design, but ironically she follows in the footsteps of a much more widely-accepted female set from ten years prior.

I say keep it the way it is. In a perfect world people would not let gender prevent them from doing something they like. There will always be girls who will want to do things that are usually "guy things". I think that we should just let the series be a series and not try to gender it too much. I suppose a few more female characters would be a good thing since most of the toa sets are male.

I say keep it the way it is. In a perfect world people would not let gender prevent them from doing something they like. There will always be girls who will want to do things that are usually "guy things". I think that we should just let the series be a series and not try to gender it too much. I suppose a few more female characters would be a good thing since most of the toa sets are male.

Sadly, we don't live in a perfect world, so that's out. :P But gender isn't preventing people from doing what they like, but some consider it a roadblock when it comes to liking things. It shouldn't be, but sometimes it is. And, they don't have to change it - LEGO might do it if only for an increase in sales. Attracting a wider audience is what companies like LEGO are always trying to do. Or, something like that. =PAnd yeah, more female sets would be pretty awesome. ^^

slipped away...

Sadly, we don't live in a perfect world, so that's out. :P But gender isn't preventing people from doing what they like, but some consider it a roadblock when it comes to liking things. It shouldn't be, but sometimes it is. And, they don't have to change it - LEGO might do it if only for an increase in sales. Attracting a wider audience is what companies like LEGO are always trying to do. Or, something like that. =PAnd yeah, more female sets would be pretty awesome. ^^
Oh, how I wish there were a world where I could confess my love for Bionicle and not being made fun of. :sarcastic: Har har.More female sets... yep. I'd like to see that too. Or at least more feminine sets. I mean, I admit not really being into Hero Factory (actually not at all), but Bionicle-wise, I think Roodaka and Nokama were the sets with the most feminine qualities, but differenty executed. Nokama's mask design has so many round, soft features that IMO she couldn't be mistaken for a male Toa, and Roodaka, well, let's say she was more in-your-face feminine. And I really enjoyed both sets. But after that... If I hadn't known that Kiina is female, I wouldn't have guessed so. ._.

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

Oh, how I wish there were a world where I could confess my love for Bionicle and not being made fun of. :sarcastic: Har har.More female sets... yep. I'd like to see that too. Or at least more feminine sets. I mean, I admit not really being into Hero Factory (actually not at all), but Bionicle-wise, I think Roodaka and Nokama were the sets with the most feminine qualities, but differenty executed. Nokama's mask design has so many round, soft features that IMO she couldn't be mistaken for a male Toa, and Roodaka, well, let's say she was more in-your-face feminine. And I really enjoyed both sets. But after that... If I hadn't known that Kiina is female, I wouldn't have guessed so. ._.
Personally, I think Kiina's the second-most-feminine set, in terms of physique. TLG went to a deliberate effort to make her shoulders narrower, which is really going above and beyond considering that she's pretty much the only canister set not to use a prefabricated torso piece of any kind.In terms of looking feminine, she was limited by the somewhat masculine-looking Glatorian head and absurdly-long limbs, but the former was well-framed by her streamlined mask design, while the latter would have looked as bad on a male figure as a female one.I would like to see more feminine-looking designs in LEGO action figure themes, but as it stands androgynous female figures were a long-standing tradition in BIONICLE, and one that shows no signs of disappearing in Hero Factory. As it stands, I can perfectly understand TLG's reasoning given the primary audience of this type of theme and the trends that affect action figure sales even among more mainstream brands. Of course, that doesn't mean I have to like it, but it's not like I have any reason to have higher expectations. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

This is kind of a random thought but it is proof that genders don't always matter.We all know that the blue Toa are usually female (I don't think there are any that are not but I could be incorrect) When one of my buddies showed me a picture of the Piraka lineup I thought they were the new Toa at a fast glance and I thought Vezok (the blue one which I suspected as female) was the coolest looking one and wound up being my favorite bionicle. I later figured out Vezok was a guy but that didn't make me like him any more or less. (I am a guy if that makes this example/random thought more clear as to why I brought it up)

Bionicle attracts girls by having being into Bionicle being the only way to play with their brothers, who they adore and love in every single way.

Funny thing is, I actually introduced my brother to Bionicle. Now I still like it and he doesn't, but I was always more into the storyline then he was.

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

bLSFh.gif ylbon.gif KqsNO.gif zHdXI.gif CIPdo.gif

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

Personally, I think Kiina's the second-most-feminine set, in terms of physique. TLG went to a deliberate effort to make her shoulders narrower, which is really going above and beyond considering that she's pretty much the only canister set not to use a prefabricated torso piece of any kind.In terms of looking feminine, she was limited by the somewhat masculine-looking Glatorian head and absurdly-long limbs, but the former was well-framed by her streamlined mask design, while the latter would have looked as bad on a male figure as a female one.I would like to see more feminine-looking designs in LEGO action figure themes, but as it stands androgynous female figures were a long-standing tradition in BIONICLE, and one that shows no signs of disappearing in Hero Factory. As it stands, I can perfectly understand TLG's reasoning given the primary audience of this type of theme and the trends that affect action figure sales even among more mainstream brands. Of course, that doesn't mean I have to like it, but it's not like I have any reason to have higher expectations.

I don't know... of course, if you exclude the limbs, they you're probably right. But when I look at the entire figure, I see the limbs too, and therfore she just doesn't seem as feminine to me. :shrugs:I do agree with you on her mask, though, at least partly.But you said second-most-femine, now I wonder which one's the number one for you... :)Edit: fixed a typo Edited by Taka Nuvia

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

Personally, I think Kiina's the second-most-feminine set, in terms of physique. TLG went to a deliberate effort to make her shoulders narrower, which is really going above and beyond considering that she's pretty much the only canister set not to use a prefabricated torso piece of any kind.In terms of looking feminine, she was limited by the somewhat masculine-looking Glatorian head and absurdly-long limbs, but the former was well-framed by her streamlined mask design, while the latter would have looked as bad on a male figure as a female one.I would like to see more feminine-looking designs in LEGO action figure themes, but as it stands androgynous female figures were a long-standing tradition in BIONICLE, and one that shows no signs of disappearing in Hero Factory. As it stands, I can perfectly understand TLG's reasoning given the primary audience of this type of theme and the trends that affect action figure sales even among more mainstream brands. Of course, that doesn't mean I have to like it, but it's not like I have any reason to have higher expectations.

I don't know... of course, if you exclude the limbs, they you're probably right. But when I look at the entire figure, I see the limbs too, and therfore she just doesn't seem as feminine to me. :shrugs:I do agree with you on her mask, though, at least partly.But you said second-most-femine, now I wonder which one's the number one for you... :)Edit: fixed a typo
My reasoning about the limbs is that they're completely gender neutral-- that is to say, they would look as non-masculine on a male character as they look non-feminine on a female character. They're badly proportioned for either gender, or, for that matter, for a human in general. It's like how if you gave a character four arms it wouldn't be inherently masculine or feminine; it would just make the character look less humanoid.All in all, Kiina's design was far more deliberately feminine in design than any other sets at the time, or, for that matter, than any other canister sets. Pretty much any other canister sets had either a masculine build (Phantoka Pohatu Nuva, Toa Mahri Kongu, etc.), a gender-neutral build (Toa Metru Nokama, Toa Metru Vakama, Toa Inika Jaller), or a non-humanoid build (Visorak Suukorak). Kiina would have too if not for her unique torso structure which tipped the balance towards a more feminine design.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know... of course, if you exclude the limbs, they you're probably right. But when I look at the entire figure, I see the limbs too, and therfore she just doesn't seem as feminine to me. :shrugs:I do agree with you on her mask, though, at least partly.But you said second-most-femine, now I wonder which one's the number one for you... :)Edit: fixed a typo
My reasoning about the limbs is that they're completely gender neutral-- that is to say, they would look as non-masculine on a male character as they look non-feminine on a female character. They're badly proportioned for either gender, or, for that matter, for a human in general. It's like how if you gave a character four arms it wouldn't be inherently masculine or feminine; it would just make the character look less humanoid.All in all, Kiina's design was far more deliberately feminine in design than any other sets at the time, or, for that matter, than any other canister sets. Pretty much any other canister sets had either a masculine build (Phantoka Pohatu Nuva, Toa Mahri Kongu, etc.), a gender-neutral build (Toa Metru Nokama, Toa Metru Vakama, Toa Inika Jaller), or a non-humanoid build (Visorak Suukorak). Kiina would have too if not for her unique torso structure which tipped the balance towards a more feminine design.
Now, you must remember Roodaka, who was probably the most feminine set. She had high-heels, a ponytail, a very female look when it came to her torso design and just her overall appearance. I never considered Kiina all that feminine, but that's just me. And even though Nokama had a clone design, she was thin and wasn't bulky. She looked feminine compared to such sets as Gali Mistika, I suppose. =/

Hmm...when we bring the old,flawed, boyish Bionicle back...Then we'll talk about modifications.(This is coming from a girl.)

Speaking as a girl also, I agree. Bionicle isn't back just yet - we shouldn't get our hopes up now. Edited by Peach 00

slipped away...

Hmm...when we bring the old, flawed, boyish Bionicle back...Then we'll talk about modifications.(This is coming from a girl.)

This. Why should this be discussed if it won't affect anything? Edited by GeluNumber1

jimistringer.png

Why are orange and black such a good color Combination ? Purple is pretty, and so is blue. Pink hurts your eyes, green is quite mellowing, black is very threatning, red is cool, orange is SO awesome, yellow's hard to read... But you can't see white at all! Oh, wait. I forgot brown.

Here's my thoughts: If a person tells the truth and says, " I always lie," Is he lying? Or is he telling the truth? And what has a mouth, but no head, and a body, but no torso? Do caterpillars like to tend to supporting colum of stone's every need? Or is that name misleading by nature? Speaking of nature, why are the children of animals called offspring? don't many young beasts come alive in spring, and thus, should be called onspring? Heeeeeeyy..... I got the first post on a page for the first time. Who knows; it may happen again. What the... It did happen again... and again...

YEAH! I'M ENCOUNTERING PROTODERMIS!

Hmm...when we bring the old, flawed, boyish Bionicle back...Then we'll talk about modifications.(This is coming from a girl.)

This. Why should this be discussed if it won't affect anything?
Why should we discuss anything related to Bionicle? The opinions of a few hundred people won't have much of an impact on a huge company like Lego. It's all a waste of time even being here, if you go by that logic.It's not about what it "affects", so much; it's just good discussion for discussion's sake. I enjoy talking about this idea, and plenty of other people do, too. This topic is for people who take an interest in the subject and hold opinions on it, one way or another. If you're not interested in it at all, that's okay, but please don't try to tell me that the things I care about aren't important.

Now, you must remember Roodaka, who was probably the most feminine set. She had high-heels, a ponytail, a very female look when it came to her torso design and just her overall appearance. I never considered Kiina all that feminine, but that's just me. And even though Nokama had a clone design, she was thin and wasn't bulky. She looked feminine compared to such sets as Gali Mistika, I suppose. =/
Technically, Aanchir specified canister sets. Roodaka is a special case, and the techniques used in her feminine build are harder to pull off in canister-sized sets (just look at the qrossly-disproportionate attempts people have tried in MOCs to see what I mean).

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I thought My Little Pony was BIONICLE for girls. hehe.png

As an entertainment medium, MLP is probably at least equal to Bionicle, if not better (It's certainly better executed, if nothing else).However, as a toyline... most toys for girls don't really have a lot of play-value, in my opinion. Many of them are little more than collectibles and paperweights, MLP toys included. I would like to see more toys for girls that encourage creativity, and can be used/played with in a number of ways.

• 5 years later...

Whenever any discussion about Bionicle's gender ratio, or the role of female characters in the story comes up, it almost always comes back to : "Bionicle is a line aimed predominantly at young boys, who have little interest in female characters." But does it have to be that way? Could Bionicle- or, something like it- appeal to a larger female audience? I believe it could, if things were done a little differently. So, I'll put to you two different pitches: 1. The first is Bionicle, more or less as it was, but with a few changes made to the story, characters and marketing designed to appeal to a broader audience of both boys and girls. 2. The second is a new line of story-driven "constraction" toys (buildable figures), that are specifically designed to appeal to a mostly-female audience. Would either of these work? Which one would you prefer? What kind of changes would be necessary to attract girls? I personally would opt for the first one, with the changes consisting mostly of having more female characters, and preferably having all the Matoran elements be both genders. Maybe also have more time to focus on characterisation in the story, and have a TV series to attract a wider audience. Note: This is based on an old topic of mine that I made last year. The response I got then was mostly a negative one. However, given that half of BZP is now obsessed with some show about a purple unicorn who learns lessons about friendship every day, I'm curious to see if I get a more positive reaction this time.

Nope. It couldn't.  Otherwise Bionicle would have attracted an equal amount of girls and boys.  Instead it attracted mostly boys.  This is because girls just, don't really like the same things as boys.  Don't get me wrong, plenty of them do.  But even then they don't like those things as much as boys do.  Bionicle and things like it literally can't be marketed and mainly girls, simply because of what it is.  

Bens_Channel_Art.jpgThe Duke is AWESOME!!!!