Legends of Chima TV Series Discussion

Meiko

do we know how the game works yet?

No, not really. I assume something similar to the Ninjago spinner game, where the cards have effects on particular styles of gameplay, but I can't even take a guess as to how one wins the Speedorz game. (also that kind of question belongs in Legends of Chima discussion, as this topic is for discussion of the TV series specifically)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

No, not really. I assume something similar to the Ninjago spinner game, where the cards have effects on particular styles of gameplay, but I can't even take a guess as to how one wins the Speedorz game. (also that kind of question belongs in Legends of Chima discussion, as this topic is for discussion of the TV series specifically)

I think it works similar to this: Two players launch two Speedorz cycles at each other. The cycles collide, and whoever gets knocked off loses.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

I think it works similar to this: Two players launch two Speedorz cycles at each other. The cycles collide, and whoever gets knocked off loses.

So it's much like Ninjago's Spinjitzu game. I'd still like to see how the cards play into it.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the sets might have gameplay like that. However, the Speedorz sets make it perfectly clear that there are several styles of gameplay, most of which incorporate the structural components of those sets. I also think that the Chi crystals will be used as a sort of "points system" in pretty much every style of gameplay.

Actually, this makes me wonder how the Speedorz will work into the actual story (in the show, etc.). Will they be for combat only? Or maybe they will be used for some sort of relatively civilized gladiatorial combat (perhaps a la Glatorian).

Edited by Chro

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Hey guys, discussion pertaining to Speedorz or anything not related to the show goes in this topic. :)

And now because I just thought of Speedorz I have to say how awesome the Speedorz look animated in the TV series. And I'm so glad that they are canon, unlike the Ninjago spinners.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Hey guys, discussion pertaining to Speedorz or anything not related to the show goes in this topic. :)

And now because I just thought of Speedorz I have to say how awesome the Speedorz look animated in the TV series. And I'm so glad that they are canon, unlike the Ninjago spinners.

The Ninjago spinners weren't non-canon so much as they were a physical representation of the more abstract Spinjitzu. I feel the sets that represented this the best were the NRG Ninja spinners, with their transparent colors and elemental patterning.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The Ninjago spinners weren't non-canon so much as they were a physical representation of the more abstract Spinjitzu. I feel the sets that represented this the best were the NRG Ninja spinners, with their transparent colors and elemental patterning.

I thought of some ways that the spinners could be a little more canon, but they weren't very practical. One idea included slimming down a spinner and making a web-like spinner that had a color that corresponded to it's element that would be placed on the top of the spinner. :)

iwRQGDg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the trailer for this in Toys 'r' Us yesterday. I have to say that the animation looked pretty nice although I still think that modelling the characters after the minifigures makes them look exceptionally goofy, given the absurd proportions and noodle limbs. Of course, it's for kids so I'm not too iffy about that kind of thing. I'm actually going to give this a try as I have hopes that this could turn out pretty good. With any luck the storyline shouldn't be too ridiculous or cliché.

Any word on who might be doing the voice acting?

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

I saw the trailer for this in Toys 'r' Us yesterday. I have to say that the animation looked pretty nice although I still think that modelling the characters after the minifigures makes them look exceptionally goofy, given the absurd proportions and noodle limbs. Of course, it's for kids so I'm not too iffy about that kind of thing. I'm actually going to give this a try as I have hopes that this could turn out pretty good. With any luck the storyline shouldn't be too ridiculous or cliché.

Any word on who might be doing the voice acting?

No clue yet. I'll post as soon as I find out. :)

Also, even though the video is on The Chima Wiki's channel on a popular video hosting site that I can't link to, I can magically show you my very beautiful 1920x1080 resolution, 45 second Chima trailer! :D (please do not redistribute on any video hosting sites. thanks)

And I got an image of our mystery gorilla Gorzan from the TV show (not leaked):

Gorzan.png

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Huh. I just watched a trailer on TV, and it says that it will be a one hour special, which kind of implies that it won't be an entire TV series, but more like the short Lego Atlantis movie released in 2010. I may be wrong, but it doesn't say anything about a full series, so we can't just assume it will become one (like we just assumed that chima was replacing ninjago). It seems like someone may have interpreted as a TV series, while it is only one "movie". Anyways, it looks pretty awesome. Any release dates yet?

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

Huh. I just watched a trailer on TV, and it says that it will be a one hour special, which kind of implies that it won't be an entire TV series, but more like the short Lego Atlantis movie released in 2010. I may be wrong, but it doesn't say anything about a full series, so we can't just assume it will become one (like we just assumed that chima was replacing ninjago). It seems like someone may have interpreted as a TV series, while it is only one "movie". Anyways, it looks pretty awesome. Any release dates yet?

I think what we are getting in January is merely a one-hour preview of the entire series. Of course I could be wrong, though.-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I think what we are getting in January is merely a one-hour preview of the entire series. Of course I could be wrong, though.-Gata signoff.png

It is in fact a one-hour preview on January 16th starting at 7:30pm ET. There is in fact a full season; they are just promoting the start this way. They did the same thing for Ninjago actually.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

We know there is a full season on the way because Cartoon Network issued a press release quite a while back saying that they were signed on for an "all-new series" based on a "new LEGO project" (i.e. not Ninjago). And Chima is the "big bang" theme for 2013. What else would it be? Galaxy Squad?

We didn't "just assume" Chima was replacing Ninjago, we were told directly by Kevin Hinkle that Ninjago was being replaced at various fan conventions. That he was referring to Chima when he mentioned a replacement that would make people "ask why they didn't end Ninjago sooner" is more or less obvious, again, because Chima is the 2013 "big bang" theme and will be getting the brunt of the marketing budget next year. It's since been established that Kevin Hinkle was wrong about Ninjago ending or Chima being designed as a replacement, just as he was wrong about when he initially said Ninjago was ending (he said that it would end after 2012, he later learned that there would be "at least one more wave"), but we had no way to know that he was wrong at the time.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

I dunno, is anyone else reminded of the Spherus Magna Core War? Just this epic battling over some natural resource with mystical qualities struck me as a very similar setting to what the Core War might actually have been like.

Totally. I wouldn't be surprised if LEGO had borrowed some ideas from BIONICLE for Chima.-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

I dunno, is anyone else reminded of the Spherus Magna Core War? Just this epic battling over some natural resource with mystical qualities struck me as a very similar setting to what the Core War might actually have been like.

Totally. I wouldn't be surprised if LEGO had borrowed some ideas from BIONICLE for Chima.-Gata signoff.png

To be honest, the "battle over resources" storyline is common to a lot of Lego themes. Aquazone, Insectoids, Rock Raiders, and Mars Mission did it before Bionicle. Power Miners did it at around the same time. It's a simple-to-understand source of conflict.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Is Chima replacing Ninjago? Is it a continuation of it? Or are they two different series and shows that will both be airing?

Chima and Ninjago are two independent themes and shows. Chima's getting more focus this year, but Ninjago's coming back next year.

To be honest, the "battle over resources" storyline is common to a lot of Lego themes. Aquazone, Insectoids, Rock Raiders, and Mars Mission did it before Bionicle. Power Miners did it at around the same time. It's a simple-to-understand source of conflict.

The Chi shares some properties with Protodermis which the crystals in Rock Raiders, Power Miners and all the others didn't have. Also, we have several parties in this conflict while in the other themes there were only two. Of course, the concept itself isn't entirely unique, but I do see a resemblance.-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Is Chima replacing Ninjago? Is it a continuation of it? Or are they two different series and shows that will both be airing?

Chima and Ninjago are two independent themes and shows. Chima's getting more focus this year, but Ninjago's coming back next year.

Going off of what Gatanui said, Chima will be airing this year, and it is uncertain if Ninjago will get more TV episodes in 2014. I'm guessing Chima's show will take priority and continue in 2014, but Ninjago might get some more episodes, or at least a possible mini-series.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Going off of what Gatanui said, Chima will be airing this year, and it is uncertain if Ninjago will get more TV episodes in 2014. I'm guessing Chima's show will take priority and continue in 2014, but Ninjago might get some more episodes, or at least a possible mini-series.

LEGO confirmed Ninjago will continue through 2014 won't it? Unless LEGO does the same thing as they did with the BIONICLE Stars then I would like to believe that Ninjago will get at least a couple of episodes before ending.

Do not trust corrupted memories.

LEGO confirmed Ninjago will continue through 2014 won't it? Unless LEGO does the same thing as they did with the BIONICLE Stars then I would like to believe that Ninjago will get at least a couple of episodes before ending.

Yeah, but it will be difficult if they have two shows on Cartoon Network at the same time. I'm guessing they'll do a mini-series, like they did in 2011.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Yeah, but it will be difficult if they have two shows on Cartoon Network at the same time. I'm guessing they'll do a mini-series, like they did in 2011.

I wouldn't be so skeptical of Ninjago and Chima both airing on Cartoon Network. It seems realistic that they might air new Ninjago while they're running Chima reruns and vice-versa. In any event, I have no doubt that the Ninjago TV show will be coming back, since it's such a fundamental part of Ninjago's marketing strategy, and since the way TLG has phrased their news about Ninjago's return, they're going to have something that will keep fans of the show appeased throughout 2013. The real question in my opinion is when the show will come back full-force, and what there are plans for in 2013 if not the show itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Som thoughts, as stated on Meiko's blog:

As much as I wanted to love it, It was just okay. The animation was weird sometimes and the VAing ranged from passable to downright awful. The lions are just uglyyyy. I want to punch Laval's voice in the face. Longtooth is pretty cool tho. Eris, where are your quick wits?? YOU HAVE WINGS. FLY AWAY.Seems like they just needed a damsel in distress as opposed to common sense. Bleh. Yay Eglor & Ewald cameo, boo hoo no EUS. Gorzan is pretty cool. He seems chill, but when the dung hits the rotary device, dude gets serious. Rhino dude was neat. Think his name was Rogan? Bear guy was hilarious. Did not get his name. SKINNET IS REAL. WAT. The crocs where cool, but I have no idea why you think Crooler is ment to be sexy. The notion strikes me as zilly. Crominus was a boss tho. Crunket too. Worriz: Actually pretty awesome. Like the fact that he's the universe's Butt Monkey, even if his portrayal goes against what we already knew about wolves. Although I find Razar's portrayal disappointing, it was also hilarious. (Trinkets and treasure, guys!) Legend Beast: Somehow uglier than normal lions. Not overjoyed, but it was okay.

AXKP5KC.png

Apparently the names are Rhogon (Rhino) and Bladvix (Bear... as if I needed to say it).I didn't watch it, but maybe later, I guess. There are certainly conflicting opinions around the show, haha. :lol:

Also, vaguely relevant, the set description for the upcoming Skunk Attack set caught my eye, in addition to the fact that the wolves hate the skunks because they bother the wolves' great sense of smell.

Attach Skinnet onto the skunk Speedor, pull the ripcord and unleash the power.

Er... unleash the power, to attack the wolves.Okay.:P

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Apparently the names are Rhogon (Rhino) and Bladvix (Bear... as if I needed to say it).I didn't watch it, but maybe later, I guess. There are certainly conflicting opinions around the show, haha. :lol:

Also, vaguely relevant, the set description for the upcoming Skunk Attack set caught my eye, in addition to the fact that the wolves hate the skunks because they bother the wolves' great sense of smell.

Er... unleash the power, to attack the wolves.Okay. :P

I think that none of the tribes really like the skunks. Laval said "Last one there is a rotten skunk", so I think they must have a pretty low social status in Chima. Also, the mention of elephants. Called it.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I've got yet to truly decide and I haven't lost hope yet, but so far I think I'm disappointed. The pacing is awful (although it may get better), Laval is totally immature, Cragger must be stupid or something for going to the Chi fountain again, Eris is totally annoying and just stupid (seriously, why doesn't she fly away instead of crying at the approaching Speedor?) and the evil flower gets silly after the first time. Also, what bugged me is how the ceremony went one way in the first episode, and had a totally different dialogue in the second episode.Don't get me wrong, it's not bad. I'll still watch the next episodes and hope it gets better, but I doubt it can surpass Ninjago, honestly. The fact that it seems to be targeted at a younger audience doesn't help it- I had hoped we'd get a less silly and more epic story, but we seem to be far from that.-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

From what I could see, the show couldn't decide whether it should be serious or silly, or both, like Ninjago. As a result, it was not funny or serious, and I don't hold high hopes for it.

Sheesh, and Eris' voice!

Hopefully it will improve with time. I will say that the animation is far more detailed than Ninjago, but I have yet to decide if that's a good thing or not.

How well will you die?

Shizznit. I was going to watch these at some point, but after what I've heard from you guys... Especially about Eris. I found her MInifigure and her vehicle to be aweosme, so I was hopping that she herself would be awesome in the show, but nooooo. Of course not. -_-

I think she's pretty cool in the show. I can especially see her developing and becoming a much stronger warrior, which LEGO needs a good one in the female gender. Eris is definitely the character I can see LEGO pursuing that with.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Apparently the names are Rhogon (Rhino) and Bladvix (Bear... as if I needed to say it).I didn't watch it, but maybe later, I guess. There are certainly conflicting opinions around the show, haha. :lol: Also, vaguely relevant, the set description for the upcoming Skunk Attack set caught my eye, in addition to the fact that the wolves hate the skunks because they bother the wolves' great sense of smell.

I think that none of the tribes really like the skunks. Laval said "Last one there is a rotten skunk", so I think they must have a pretty low social status in Chima. Also, the mention of elephants. Called it.

I repeat: Laval may be kind of a racist. He kept using what I'm assuming were anti-croc slurs throughout the entire thing. Laval is not the best role model. Edited by dotedu

AXKP5KC.png

Apparently the names are Rhogon (Rhino) and Bladvix (Bear... as if I needed to say it).I didn't watch it, but maybe later, I guess. There are certainly conflicting opinions around the show, haha. :lol: Also, vaguely relevant, the set description for the upcoming Skunk Attack set caught my eye, in addition to the fact that the wolves hate the skunks because they bother the wolves' great sense of smell.

I repeat: Laval may be kind of a racist. He kept using what I'm assuming where anti-croc slurs throughout the entire thing. Laval is not the best role model.

He's a teenager lion growing up in the 21st century ghetto of Chima. Yeah now that you point it out, he has quite a few "prejudices". Maybe it's the hip thing over there in Chima, ya know?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I repeat: Laval may be kind of a racist. He kept using what I'm assuming where anti-croc slurs throughout the entire thing. Laval is not the best role model.

He's a teenager lion growing up in the 21st century ghetto of Chima. Yeah now that you point it out, he has quite a few "prejudices". Maybe it's the hip thing over there in Chima, ya know?

That is a possibility, however for Chima that seems kind of strange, especially since it's a theme directed towards younger children...

toatanusignature.png

I have the two episodes recorded on DVR (it's just a matter of finding an optimal time to watch them), but from what you guys are saying, it sounds like it may only disappoint me. It really seemed like they were set up for something really epic, based on the previews and website, but it sounds like it may just be full of really immature humor and derpy characters.

For extra SKUNK POWER munch on a few bean burritos before your speedorz match so that your opponent can REALLY feel the heat! :satisfied:

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife