What are the Great Beings?

I was writing a response in another topic when it hit me. We don't really know anything about the Great Beings beside their names and some of their actions. We don't know their powers, appearance, limitations.So I began thinking. What are the Great Beings? We know they can't be gods because they have made major mistakes they were unable to fix. We know they have some power because they created Spherus Magna. Or do we?This is what really hit me. What if the Great Beings are the LEGO designer's themselves? It would make sense, as the Great Beings were unable to fix certain things, such as Spherus Magna before it broke or the first giant robot.There are some problems with this theory, such as the fact that the Designers had full control over BIONICLE while the Great Beings did not, but things like that can be easily bypassed.Another theory is that the Great Beings could simply be Toa-like beings wearing Masks of Creation. This would explain how they failed to fix certain problems, such as Spherus Magna and the Core War. It would also explain why the Battera and Marendar exist, because the beings may not think of themselves powerful enough to stop all the Toa.Those are my two theories. They may or may not be true. We may never know :(

• Upvote 1

Technically speaking that would mean the all the GBs were GregF in some way, seeing as he is the writer. They could also be metaphoric/symbolic representations of Bionicle fans, seeing as they like building new things, but with the twist that here they cannot fix their mistakes. Just another idea.

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

This has been a theory floating around since the GB's were reveled. Greg discounted it every time though. It always made sense to me, but it appears Greg has other plans.And, the GB's cannot be Greg, simply because Greg fixed his mistakes.
It's just a theory.
Yes, it is. I was just telling you that it is one that has already been disproved. I was always a fan of it, but we can't have everything. =/
HukixMacku anyone? =P
Who?
I was referring to the romance that happened in 2002 I believe, that Greg promptly retconned. It was supposed to be a joke. Sorry for the confusion. Edited by Portalfig

This has been a theory floating around since the GB's were reveled. Greg discounted it every time though. It always made sense to me, but it appears Greg has other plans.And, the GB's cannot be Greg, simply because Greg fixed his mistakes.
It's just a theory.
Yes, it is. I was just telling you that it is one that has already been disproved. I was always a fan of it, but we can't have everything. =/
Awwww! :( Edited by TNT-DJ Vezon

new_sig_legacy_2.png

They could be linked to Lego fans and designers on some metaphorical level. More literally, I'm pretty sure they're either a biological species native to Spherus Magna, enlightened members of a known species (such Glatorian) or alien beings that settled on Spherus Magna.I wouldn't be surprised if any powers they had were not natural, but granted by alterations they performed on themselves, i.e, mechanical implants and/or mutations. But that's just speculation.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

I've always imagined them as human in my headcanon. I know Greg's probably denied that, but it just fits too well and in the absence of any other information, I'm sticking with it.
Exectly the same, only they are more like the type of men in stories: no wars, no discrimination,...

I'm back!

Pretty sure Greg confirmed that the GBs are NOT humans.
When does Greg ever CONFIRM anything? I mean, he said Lihkan was dead. Not so. He never gives a straight forward answer.EDIT: I've got nothing against Greg, I'm just it pointing out
he is technically dead though. IN the MU, he is considered dead.

They're a fictional species that wears clothes and is psychologically ideal for inventions. They might not have powers themselves at all.And is definitely NOT humans. FTR, Greg confirmed humans have never been planned to exist in Bionicle anywhere; it's a fictional universe with no Earth at all.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

When does Greg ever CONFIRM anything? I mean, he said Lihkan was dead. Not so. He never gives a straight forward answer.EDIT: I've got nothing against Greg, I'm just it pointing out
Not for long...
What, do you think he's going to pop off the Star or something? That makes no sense. First of all, the return function-You know what, there are already two or three active topics about that, so I'll save it. :lol:I think it'd be cool if they were humans, if a tad strange. But since they definitely aren't, we can just wonder... they're certainly designed to be mysterious, but with the more recent knowledge about them (names, the fact that they wear clothes, et cetera) it seems that some of said mystery is being taken away. Perhaps someone should ask Greg about this...? ;)
  • Upvote 1

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

What, do you think he's going to pop off the Star or something? That makes no sense. First of all, the return function-You know what, there are already two or three active topics about that, so I'll save it. :lol:I think it'd be cool if they were humans, if a tad strange. But since they definitely aren't, we can just wonder... they're certainly designed to be mysterious, but with the more recent knowledge about them (names, the fact that they wear clothes, et cetera) it seems that some of said mystery is being taken away. Perhaps someone should ask Greg about this...? ;)
Yeah, but Pohatu and Kopaka gotta get off some how.And yes, maybe someone should ask Greg.

They're a fictional species that wears clothes and is psychologically ideal for inventions. They might not have powers themselves at all.And is definitely NOT humans. FTR, Greg confirmed humans have never been planned to exist in Bionicle anywhere; it's a fictional universe with no Earth at all.
Star Wars is also a fictional universe with no Earth, and it's crawling with humans. I'm sticking with my theory, however wrong it is :P

IrMSNn3.png

I believe Gaardus teleported them off.
No, Gaardus teleported Kopaka and Pohatu to the star, but then he left, presumable stranding the two on the Red Star.
Ah, my mistake. I haven't read all of the serials very thoroughly. :lol:Actually, do we knowt hat Kopaka and Pohatu are off the Star yet? I don't think so.
  • Upvote 1

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Not for long...
I sure hope so...

My personal head-canon at the moment is that they are an organic humanoid species like the Glatorian and many other fictional species, though their extreme aptitude at creating stuff has led them to "improve" themselves to the point where many use cyborg implements. They may not have any powers natively (maybe something like limited Psionics, if any) but their extreme technological advances mean that they can easily create matter-manipulating things such as Kanohi powers and whatever makes a Toa's element work. This may or may not be a result of studying Energized Protdermis. Certainly their Protodermis is an almost perfect replica of regular matter that has very advanced functionality.I do not see Great Beings as humans, nor as LEGO Designer stand-ins, or as anything even remotely close to gods (especially not after we came to learn more about them). The early years of BIONICLE described them in terms that might make them seem like ones, but I think it's been clear from the start that like Mata Nui, nothing here dips into religious ideas. (Thankfully! Gods in fiction seem to either be "regular" super-powered beings that might as well not be gods, or they are characters that magically solve everything OR has to be excused for why they don't solve everything.)So yeah, appearance: Something humanoid and organic, for certain, maybe with some slight carapace here and there that might resemble metal armor. Something like this Skrall fan-art, but less metal armor covering everything.

Star Wars is also a fictional universe with no Earth, and it's crawling with humans. I'm sticking with my theory, however wrong it is :P
Where did you hear that? The very opening lines say "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away", confirming that Earth does exist in SW. There was even a cameo of the ET alien species, implying a direct connection to that movie connecting aliens to Earth.You can headcanon it however you like, of course. :P

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Where did you hear that? The very opening lines say "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away", confirming that Earth does exist in SW. There was even a cameo of the ET alien species, implying a direct connection to that movie connecting aliens to Earth.You can headcanon it however you like, of course. :P
The important thing about Star Wars, though (and this is kind of starting to get off topic), is that the humans aren't from Earth - because they couldn't be. Earth humans haven't mastered space travel even in the present day, and this is "a long time ago"! Evidently, a species exactly like humans has sprung up independently in the galaxy-far-far-away. That's how I see Great Beings: not from Earth, but pretty much human in every way - and so far Greg's done nothing to deny that.

IrMSNn3.png

I've always liked to think that they are Minifigs like Clutch Powers who have an obsession with creating.However, I recall Greg once saying that BIONICLE was supposed to be kept separate from other LEGO themes, so there goes that idea.Still... signoffffff.png

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

They're a fictional species that wears clothes and is psychologically ideal for inventions. They might not have powers themselves at all.

If they didn't have powers, then how was that one imprisoned GB in that fortress able to freeze time and space across a parallel universe? As far as I remember those abilities weren't confirmed to be the result of him touching the Ignika.Then again, I guess you could say that he could have possibly built and hid a machine somewhere that can track his location, read his thoughts, and do those things for him, though there's no evidence to suggest that.

They're a fictional species that wears clothes and is psychologically ideal for inventions. They might not have powers themselves at all.
If they didn't have powers, then how was that one imprisoned GB in that fortress able to freeze time and space across a parallel universe? As far as I remember those abilities weren't confirmed to be the result of him touching the Ignika.Then again, I guess you could say that he could have possibly built and hid a machine somewhere that can track his location, read his thoughts, and do those things for him, though there's no evidence to suggest that.
I suspect that if there was such a machine, the other GBs would have smashed it...had they known of it. This guy is supposed to be jail, and not messing with other dimensions. If he tried to make one...it would have been difficult, given the insane GB's unique curse. I lean toward this being an innate power of the GBs. Especially knowing that Angonce knows about the goings-on at SM, and none of the characters in question have ever seen him...to their knowledge. (They can hide from their creations, but it hasn't been confirmed that they can hide from the SM natives.)

There is also the possibility that he used a power focused only on Vezon in order to make him feel like everything else was frozen. It would be kind of like some fictional explanations for time stop: you are not stopping the universe, you are speeding up yourself (some choose to deal with increased aging due to this, other just label it a magical effect that is not subject to such things).