Legends of Chima Discussion

Meiko

well that new website is pretty cool. the character bios were humorous as usual and the game is pretty fun. the bios also pretty much debunked my theory about the whole Cragger usurping Crominus thing.

one tidbit i found interesting, though. from this page:

When the Crocodile Prince Cragger accused the Lions of getting rid of his parents and he became Crocodile King...

--------

i find it unlikely, but maybe Crominus and Crunket die/appear to die at some point? the second half of Crominus' bio seems to refer to him in past tense... iunno =/ probably wrong here.

overlordsukapon.png

It looks like Crominus is just a massive red herring. The croc with the golden helmet that we've seen in most trailers is Cragger. So it looks like Crominus and Crunket are going to disappear and Cragger wll become the crocodile king and do his whole war deal.Also, as has been said: BEARS and RHINOS. Looks to me like the former is allied with the good guys, and the latter with the bad guys. I sure hope they get minifigures at some point (maybe in 2014?).The bios are great. The weapon bios in particular offer a lot of insight into the nature of the tribes (namely they suck at naming things). A new character, the crocodile blacksmith Cranvil, is also mentioned, though it's anyone's guess as to whether he and Crunket will get minifigures. (Hopefully they'll do a Chima encyclopedia one day and include one of the show-exclusive characters. Or at least, Cragger with a golden helmet)I am very excited for the tv show, in any case.edit: ALSO, the bio for Chima (the land) that Squish showed up there says that there definitely are 8 tribes. It's strange that the two 'new ones' hadn't been heard from before.edt2: Laval's father is called Lagravis. Probably.

Edited by dotedu

AXKP5KC.png

IMO, Crominus likely disappeared rather than died (that's what the LEGO Club Magazine implies, if I remember correctly), and I have no doubt he will eventually come back. The description for the Boulder Bowling set describes him escaping from a cave, so maybe he's been imprisoned?

Love the depth of story info on the Chima site. It makes me quite excited for this theme.

Man, Lego is investing a TON of money into this. They obviously expect this to be insanely successful. Honestly, though, I don't think it will. The kids who like, say, Ninjago, will probably find the whole talking animals thing kind of dumb. I predict a financial failure.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Man, Lego is investing a TON of money into this. They obviously expect this to be insanely successful. Honestly, though, I don't think it will. The kids who like, say, Ninjago, will probably find the whole talking animals thing kind of dumb. I predict a financial failure.

There were talking animals in Ninjago.

That seemed to turn out fine.

AXKP5KC.png

I reckon you'd be surprised. I'm expecting Lego to at least partly regret throwing out so much money on marketing this before the sets have even been released for a few weeks, but I'm not expecting a complete crash. I don't see why kids would find anthropomorphous animals to be "dumb" given just how popular that whole artstyle has been throughout the years, a la Thundercats, Disney's Robin Hood, Kung Fu Panda, etc. If anything, they'd probably find it cooler given some of them can associate the characters with their favourite animals.

Edited by The Jolly Automaton

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

• 5 weeks later...

Actually, this is not the case, even though it was something I too feared. I've been in retail and LEGO stores and see kids ask their parents to buy them Chima instead of Ninjago (several times). Also, reading comments on Cartoon Network's annoying blog system for children to talk about shows (much like LEGO Message Boards), I've seen poll topics where many kids say they like the Chima show over Ninjago's show. Interesting and unexpected, but quite awesome at the same time.

I'm interested to see how the Chima books do compared to the Ninjago books, when they hit stores...

Also wow this topic was so close to dead. I've forgotten to check it in weeks. :annoyed:

Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Meiko" data-cid="501041" data-time="1360073224"><p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Toa Zaz" data-cid="487075" data-time="1357499307"><p>Man, Lego is investing a TON of money into this. They obviously expect this to be insanely successful. Honestly, though, I don't think it will. The kids who like, say, Ninjago, will probably find the whole talking animals thing kind of dumb. I predict a financial failure.</p></blockquote>Actually, this is not the case, even though it was something I too feared. I've been in retail and LEGO stores and see kids ask their parents to buy them Chima instead of Ninjago (several times). Also, reading comments on Cartoon Network's annoying blog system for children to talk about shows (much like LEGO Message Boards), I've seen poll topics where many kids say they like the Chima show over Ninjago's show. Interesting and unexpected, but quite awesome at the same time.<br /> <br />I'm interested to see how the Chima books do compared to the Ninjago books, when they hit stores...<br /> <br />Also wow this topic was so close to dead. I've forgotten to check it in weeks. :annoyed:</p></blockquote>While that may be true, kids don't need a great plot in order to enjoy a TV show, Lego is just tossing them a healthy dose of action to keep them satisfied. The problem is that they are getting lazy with the plot and risking losing older fans.

aouROFb.png

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Meiko" data-cid="501041" data-time="1360073224"><p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Toa Zaz" data-cid="487075" data-time="1357499307"><p>Man, Lego is investing a TON of money into this. They obviously expect this to be insanely successful. Honestly, though, I don't think it will. The kids who like, say, Ninjago, will probably find the whole talking animals thing kind of dumb. I predict a financial failure.</p></blockquote>Actually, this is not the case, even though it was something I too feared. I've been in retail and LEGO stores and see kids ask their parents to buy them Chima instead of Ninjago (several times). Also, reading comments on Cartoon Network's annoying blog system for children to talk about shows (much like LEGO Message Boards), I've seen poll topics where many kids say they like the Chima show over Ninjago's show. Interesting and unexpected, but quite awesome at the same time.<br /> <br />I'm interested to see how the Chima books do compared to the Ninjago books, when they hit stores...<br /> <br />Also wow this topic was so close to dead. I've forgotten to check it in weeks. :annoyed:</p></blockquote>While that may be true, kids don't need a great plot in order to enjoy a TV show, Lego is just tossing them a healthy dose of action to keep them satisfied. The problem is that they are getting lazy with the plot and risking losing older fans.

I feel Chima has a great plot. It's a typical two-sided conflict, but when you break it down, Ninjago was the same way. Really, any kids show is that way, because that's what kids want to watch.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I feel Chima has a great plot. It's a typical two-sided conflict, but when you break it down, Ninjago was the same way. Really, any kids show is that way, because that's what kids want to watch.

I'm personally hoping that as the series goes on it'll seem a little less two-sided. While the main conflict is roughly divided on one line, there are many tribes involved, each with their own interests. We already know that the Ravens are really only loyal to the highest bidder, and meanwhile, the Crocodile Tribe's allegiances are complicated by the fact that Cragger and Crooler initiated the war, while the more legitimate and presumably more reasonable rulers Crominus and Crunket are missing (and we know from the sets that at least Crominus is still alive). Meanwhile, characters like Skinnet are so far relegated to the sidelines, but if they turn out to have tribes of their own, they could conceivably ally with either side if they get drawn into the war in future years of story and sets.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'm personally hoping that as the series goes on it'll seem a little less two-sided. While the main conflict is roughly divided on one line, there are many tribes involved, each with their own interests. We already know that the Ravens are really only loyal to the highest bidder, and meanwhile, the Crocodile Tribe's allegiances are complicated by the fact that Cragger and Crooler initiated the war, while the more legitimate and presumably more reasonable rulers Crominus and Crunket are missing (and we know from the sets that at least Crominus is still alive). Meanwhile, characters like Skinnet are so far relegated to the sidelines, but if they turn out to have tribes of their own, they could conceivably ally with either side if they get drawn into the war in future years of story and sets.

There already appear to be neutral sides—bears, rhinos, foxes and skunks. They've only appeared in flashbacks, so they haven't allied with anybody to our knowledge.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

There already appear to be neutral sides—bears, rhinos, foxes and skunks. They've only appeared in flashbacks, so they haven't allied with anybody to our knowledge.

That was kind of my point; I just wasn't sure whether we had seen enough members of all of those tribes to confirm that they weren't just one-off characters (like Cragger's dentist seems to be).

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

That was kind of my point; I just wasn't sure whether we had seen enough members of all of those tribes to confirm that they weren't just one-off characters (like Cragger's dentist seems to be).

Well Laval does say when he races Cragger "last one there is a rotten skunk", and I doubt there would be much of a stereotype/negative outlook on skunks if Skinnet was the only one, especially since Skinnet is Laval's friend.

Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick