Is the Metru Nui Matoran form standard?

Guest PrometheusLKR

Guest PrometheusLKR

I looked around and couldn't find an answer to this question, so I'll ask it:

Are all "normal" Matoran like the Metru Nui Matoran? Because I noticed that every other type appears to have an explanation for why they don't look like the Metruans.

Mata Nui Matoran were shrunk by the spheres

Voya Nui Matoran were "fixed" by Karzahni

Mahri Nui Matoran were mutated by the Pit

Karda Nui Av-Matoran are extra large when they're in Karda Nui

The only Matoran sets I can't find a reason for are Mazeka, Vultraz, and Vican (although we can possibly just explain that away because they came out at the same time as the Av-Matoran).

So, does anyone know if the Metru form is considered standard and, if so, what's up with these three exceptions?

While I'm not sure if the Netru Nui forms are standard, if they are, I can think of an explanation for the exceptions(albeit Mazeka); the set form of Vultraz is his Karda Nui form, after he was rebuilt by Ghorast. The set form of Vican is also his Karda Nui form, and it's possible he had been there long enough for the energy in Karda Nui to make him larger. As for Mazeka, I'm guessing it's because LEGO wanted the Av-Matoran shape to be the standard for that year.

Edited by Vakama-san

metroid.gif

"Why can't I dream that I'm alone?" "That is not a dream, that is a substitute for reality"

"So where is my dream?" "it is a continuation of reality"

"But where is my reality?" "It is at the end of your dream"

I don't think it would be impossible for Matoran from different places to have different looking bodies. I believe its possible that in some places the Matoran learned how to rebuild themselves. That could explain why Mazeka looks different than a Metru Nui Matoran. Maybe he learned to rebuild his body wherever he lived before joining the OoMN.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Not sure where, but I'm pretty sure that at some point it was said that the Mahri Nui Matoran would be similar- not the same, exactly, but similar- to the original form. :notsure:

EDIT: Looks like I was right. :lol:

Edited by Chro

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

While I'm not sure if the Netru Nui forms are standard, if they are, I can think of an explanation for the exceptions(albeit Mazeka); the set form of Vultraz is his Karda Nui form, after he was rebuilt by Ghorast. The set form of Vican is also his Karda Nui form, and it's possible he had been there long enough for the energy in Karda Nui to make him larger. As for Mazeka, I'm guessing it's because LEGO wanted the Av-Matoran shape to be the standard for that year.

Mazeka's altered form's in-story explanation is that he has rebuild himself, but I'm not sure where I read it; probably in Brothers in Arms or something similar

"The drums are coming closer"

Guest PrometheusLKR

So we then apparently have explanations for almost all Matoran that don't look like Metruans. I know Matoran have rebuilt themselves in different locations, so I guess mainly what I'm wondering is if newly created Matoran always look like the Metru Nui kind. For now, I'm going to assume they do, but I guess there's nothing to say that the Metru Nui matoran haven't rebuilt themselves from some other form.

In my opinion, the first 2 movies give the most accurate representations of the matoran and others because they show how the muscle tissue fits into it and fill in the gaps in their armor left by the fact that they are based of a construction toy. If you were to fill in the muscle tissue and more compleat armor on the 03, 04 and 07 matoran, they'd all look fairly similar. 01 a bit smaller with slightly less armor. 08 slightly larger with slightly more detail. And 06 hideously disfigured.The 03, 04 & 07 all represent the same basic structure with only slight differences varied by reigon. If you were to choose a standard form you would first have to choose a standard reigon. And to an outsider they probably wouldn't even notice any difference in the armor unless it was pointed out to them.

We've seen pictures of Matoran from Artahka and the Southern Continent and they don't appear to have Metru builds.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

What could explain this better than a little Bonesii quote:

Also, keep in mind that sets are always representations anyways, not meant to be 100% accurate. My guess is that the real Mata forms looked like something halfway between his Stars form and his 2001 form, but also sort of neither look quite right. The 2001 set was made before the true "Bionicle feel" had really been wrestled out of time, experience, focus group research, etc. And all the sets (in question here anyways) don't quite match the "fully canon" appearance of the characters that was established in 2003 via MOL (though it may have been somewhat retconned with WoS). Look at Tahu Nuva MOL for example compared to Tahu Nuva 2003 set. So -- Tahu Mata set represents Tahu's form, possibly weakened organically but unlikely that his metal parts were changed. Tahu Nuva set represents Tahu Nuva's form (Tahu MOL actually depicts his 'real' canon form).
This fits the Matoran quite well, the set (and comic drawnings) are all representations of their 'real' canon form.

I'm back!

Quick answer: yes. I believe it was confirmed by GregF at some point that Metrutoran are the closest figures to the Matoran's default form. It's also worth pointing out that the Mahri Nui figures were partially restored to their original forms by the Pit Mutagen, and are rather similar to their Metru counterparts as far as the torso and legs go.EDIT:

The only Matoran sets I can't find a reason for are Mazeka, Vultraz, and Vican (although we can possibly just explain that away because they came out at the same time as the Av-Matoran). So, does anyone know if the Metru form is considered standard and, if so, what's up with these three exceptions?
If I remember correctly, Vican and Vultraz were mutated by Mutran, just like all the Shadow Matoran. Mazeka just rebuilt himself. Edited by Meta-Mind

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

Mazeka's altered form's in-story explanation is that he has rebuild himself, but I'm not sure where I read it; probably in Brothers in Arms or something similar

Mazeka didn't rebuild himself; the OoMN rebuilt him after he joined.

Otherwise, I would say that Metrutoran were the basic form.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

My understanding is the Mahri Nui Matoran form is pretty close to their form before Karzahni 'fixed' them. The mutagen mutated them and reversed Karzahni's tampering. And Mahri Nui follows the general pattern of Metru Nui form anyway. So I'd say that Metru Nui/Mahri Nui is basically the template with regional differences.

-Lord Nektann

This is based on my own faulty memory, so take this with a lot of salt. I remember it explained like this. The Av-Matoran were the first, taller and stronger because they worked in Karda Nui with all of the energy arcing about. Matoran created after them (the Metruans) were the default and worked on the mechanics of Mata Nui. Those captured in the spheres shrunk down. Those sent to Karzahni got rebuilt to Voyatorans. And the mutagen restored them partially hence the Mahritorans.

It seems a long way to go to fit new toys into the existing storyline IMO.

"Honor those the dragons heed, in thought and favor, word and deed"

"Worlds are lost and worlds are saved, from those dangers dragons brave"

qs3174.jpg

Guest Takua the Chronicler7

I think I read this on BS01, and on the Matoran page it said that different Matoran from different areas were different sizes. One thing I noticed about this topic is that we never considered Matoran from other places like the Northern/Southern Continents, they might be different sizes than the ones in Metru(Mata)Nui.

Pretty sure it's been said that there was one general shape/size, to start out with at least.

That's been considered. But I'd think it to be a little odd if the regular Matoran form hadn't appeared at all in the story (and therefore the sets).

but their spirits

This question pops up every once in a while. I think the concensus is that. though it's never been confirmed, (though I think it actually has, we've just lost the Greg quote) the Metru Nui form is logically the standard. Of all the matoran with sets or official images, they are the only ones without a backstory explaining that their forms are different. Since we know they were mass-produced by the Great Beings, it's reasonable to assume they were built on the same model.

This question pops up every once in a while. I think the concensus is that. though it's never been confirmed, (though I think it actually has, we've just lost the Greg quote) the Metru Nui form is logically the standard. Of all the matoran with sets or official images, they are the only ones without a backstory explaining that their forms are different. Since we know they were mass-produced by the Great Beings, it's reasonable to assume they were built on the same model.

Also, I seem to recall a statement that the matoran production facilities were located fairly close to Metru Nui, or am I mistaken? It would provide another reason why the Metru form would be standard.

Me: *has idea*

Blade: "I'd say too convoluted, and I know too convoluted =P"

"Dangit, I shouldn't have gotten ambitious."

--Merc, RE: our plotting

Pokémon Rise of the Rockets Profiles: LINK

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

Also, I seem to recall a statement that the matoran production facilities were located fairly close to Metru Nui, or am I mistaken? It would provide another reason why the Metru form would be standard.
Back in 2004, there was some statement made about "now that Metru Nui had been recovered, new Matoran could come into being again." So yes, I would assume that Matoran are produced somehow in Metru Nui (and probably other key points, likely somewhere on the Southern Continent).

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

That's not really the case. Matoran are mass produced. There's a standard form, which as we know, is in fact the Metru Nui Matoran form. To top it off, as people have said a few times, all other forms have explanations for their appearance.

but their spirits

Back in 2004, there was some statement made about "now that Metru Nui had been recovered, new Matoran could come into being again." So yes, I would assume that Matoran are produced somehow in Metru Nui (and probably other key points, likely somewhere on the Southern Continent).

Interesting. Was that referring to all Matoran or just the population of Metru Nui/Mata Nui?

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

Interesting. Was that referring to all Matoran or just the population of Metru Nui/Mata Nui?

In BIONICLE: WORLD, Helryx talks about some of the challenges the Matoran would face. She said that since new Matoran would be created, what their reactions to them would be unforeseeable. Something along those lines.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that the Av-Matoran's body shape is how they were designed by the Great Beings, while everyone outside his heart should be designed like a Metru Nui matoran.This explains Karda Nui sets the best, and I can only say this because Bionicle 4(movie) made me think that way when Teridax enslaved them all.

Av-Matoran were the "prototypes". The Matoran of Metru Nui were simplified versions, you could say; and I believe they were meant to be the "standard" form, as Metru Nui was the Matoran capital after all.Makes me wonder, though, if new Matoran on SM will continue to have the same basic design of Metru Nui Matoran...

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

I think it's silly to assume that there is a standard form. Proportionally, I imagine most Matoran are similar to Metru Nui Matoran, but why would they have to be physically identical? After all, Toa and Turaga are rarely identical even if they're all from the same place and all transformed in the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

Ignoring the LEGO sales aspect and trying to find a fiction reason;

I guess we could think of different Matoran body types as "ethnicities" amount Matoran.

Matoran of Metru Nui probably being "standard" or "average" for the sake of argument, and the Northern Matoran types/races

Around the Northern Continent we only know of Mazeka, who has the same body design as the Av-Matoran, perhaps suggesting this was an early design when made by the GBs, or something

Matoran of the Southern Continent looked like the Mahri ones, (they were mutated back to their original forms from being rebuilt by Karnzahni)

The Matoran of VN were rebuilt, and the ones on Mata Nui (from Metru Nui) were made weaker by the Matoran Spheres, then rebuilt into forms of equal strength to what they had on Metru Nui originally

• 2 weeks later...

That's not really the case. Matoran are mass produced. There's a standard form, which as we know, is in fact the Metru Nui Matoran form. To top it off, as people have said a few times, all other forms have explanations for their appearance.

That doesn't account for the Mahritoran (Southern Continent Matoran) - their forms are their originals, it seems. We still have no idea why they look how they look. If I had to guess, that particular type of armor looks more well-adapted to slightly wilder environments, with longer arms, bigger limbs in general, and a lighter and less cumbersome chestplate, whereas Metru-Nui Matoran have what look like relatively heavy, strong chestplates and smallish arms, possibly designed specifically for city life, though I don't quite know how.

Edited by Tanu Toa of Earth
toatanusignature.png

That doesn't account for the Mahritoran (Southern Continent Matoran) - their forms are their originals, it seems. We still have no idea why they look how they look. If I had to guess, that particular type of armor looks more well-adapted to slightly wilder environments, with longer arms, bigger limbs in general, and a lighter and less cumbersome chestplate, whereas Metru-Nui Matoran have what look like relatively heavy, strong chestplates and smallish arms, possibly designed specifically for city life, though I don't quite know how.
It's been confirmed that the Mahri-toran were only partially restored to their original forms by the mutagen. Not to mention that the Mahri Nui Matoran look rather similar to their Metru Nui counterparts already (the only real difference shape-wise is in the arms and tools), so any other differences could be attributed to "artistic license" on the part of either the 2004 or 2007 set designers.So yes, there is indeed a standard form for Matoran, and it's almost certainly the Metru Nui form.