What is everyone's problem with "Coz thats what friends do&#34

CeeCee

Probably the way he delivered it. Sounded cheesy. But a lot does in the movies -- they're made for kids.

Personally I appreciate the message and don't mind that I'm choosing to watch a kids' movie. :P

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Matau and Vakama were fighting like, two lines ago, and so the line seems preachy and "looking down" on Matau. Since Whenua isn't generally that type of person (usually that is Ga-Toa's domain), it came across as a sudden moral aside to the audience, which is characteristic of kid's movies. And it diminishes Whenua's character.

The line is very cheesy, awkward, and to make matters worse had no reason to be said. It felt like they missed a line because Matau never said anything that would require Nokama and Whenua to respond with their lines. So yeah it was out of place, awkward, and just in there because it was in the trailer for the movie.

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

I don't think it was simply corny; I think the issue is that it was corny and completely out of place. It was out of character for Whenua, and the movie is improved if you remove the line. Admittedly, it's hard to deliver that kind of a line without sounding at least somewhat cheesy, but the way in which it was delivered made it even worse.

Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I don't hate it. At least he has a line.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

It was terrible, even for a kids movie.

It just sounded... Stupid.

Says someone whose username is that of a character from the worst cartoon of the century.

Anyway......line never bothered me at all.

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Manterax Prime" data-cid="496428" data-time="1359099176"><p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Rarity" data-cid="495746" data-time="1358986787"><p>It was terrible, even for a kids movie.<br />It just sounded... Stupid.</p></blockquote> <br /> <br />Says someone whose username is that of a character from the worst cartoon of the century.<br /> <br /> <br />Anyway......line never bothered me at all.</p></blockquote>>worst cartoon of the century >MLP: FiMPick one.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Manterax Prime" data-cid="496428" data-time="1359099176"><p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Rarity" data-cid="495746" data-time="1358986787"><p>It was terrible, even for a kids movie.<br />It just sounded... Stupid.</p></blockquote> <br /> <br />Says someone whose username is that of a character from the worst cartoon of the century.<br /> <br /> <br />Anyway......line never bothered me at all.</p></blockquote>>worst cartoon of the century>MLP: FiMPick one.

I thought MLP:FIM was the worst cartoon of the century. And I'm against the show, not it's fans.

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

It never bothered me until I joined this website. But then again, I saw WoS as a kind of savior, since it was my only link to what I loved back then.

Tahu.png

i wanna be the very best

like no one ever was

to catch them is my real test

to train them is my cause

To be honest, I don't remember much of the Bionicle movies, but I certainly don't remember that line. It does sound corny though, but not much cornier than any other lines in LEGO multimedia.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

• 3 weeks later...

Since my memory is about equal to that of a spoon, I don't remember that much of the movies either, but that line could've been much better delivered if it was a play on something stated earlier, i.e.:

Earlier: "green-eyes bad Hordika"-Vakama: "Friends don't do anything!"

And then later: "That is what friends do."

Pay attention to the pronunciation of the underscore/italics.

iquXD5X.png

Out of the two lines he says, thay make one THIS? I really don't see the need for this, but it is making my Sunday night. Go on Netflix, it's the only BIONICLE movie on there, and the only one I've seen. Curse my luck.

WoS is the best Bionicle movie IMO

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

It sounds weird when you're older, and that's kind of the point. Unfortunately for us older fans, the movies were never aimed at anyone over the age of 15, so we have to deal with the simplified dialogue and such. For those of us who watched the movie(s) at a rather young age, the line didn't seem cheesy at all, I'd wager. We look back now and cringe, ha ha, but that's only because we're more mature now. I don't know if Lego ever thought they'd get an older audience at the start, but I don't think it would have mattered. It's a kids' toy-line, and that's that. If they had upped the ante for older/more mature viewers, every other line would have flown right over the kids' heads, ha ha. (You'd have better luck getting an 8-year-old to understand an A to Z Mysteries story than a Sherlock Holmes, for example.)C'est la vie. Personally, the line never bothered me, but I will agree that the placement and delivery were off. But again, it's just a kids' film. They had to fit that message in somewhere, even if does sound dorky.

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

• 2 weeks later...

I think while Whenua's line is bad, but let's look at a better one, "because that's what Toa do." Other than Whenua's childish weird line, this line was almost triumphant and was delivered much better by Vakama. All it takes is a word and delivery.

"We find a way to defeat him. Cause that's what Toa do."

I personally hated that line more than anything in WoS, because it has this "Toa exist to defeat opponents" attitude that is not at all true. Aren't they there to protect and bring security? Vakama makes a Toa's duty seem so one-dimensional. Whenua's "that's what friends do" has a moral to it, which I respect, even if it sounds too childlish for us older fans.

"We find a way to defeat him again. Cause that's what Toa do." Emphasis mine.

I like this particular line - I thought it showed that a Toa's duty was to protect the Matoran, not go crazy and destroy the Great Temple, etc. It showed that Vakama knew what Toa did - protect the Matoran from their enemies, this one included.