Bionicle Adventures and Bionicle Legends

X-Ray

I am of the opinion that the books series Bionicle Adventures, which covered the Metru Nui era, and Bionicle Legends, which covered the Voya Nui/Mahri Nui/Karda Nui eras, should have had their titles switched around.

Why? Because it makes more sense for a series of stories about the tales of past adventures to be called Legends, and the tale of present adventures to be called Adventures.

So, what are the thoughts of you denizens of BZPower's thoughts on this?

:akaku: X-Ray :akaku:

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."
- Ecclesiastes 4:12

Wow. I never noticed that. I think you're completely right. (Though, BL was about the legendary Mask of Life, but yeah, I agree).

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.
-- Greg Farshtey

I can definitely see where you're coming from, especially since the words "legend/legends" were thrown around a fair amount in 04-05 in regard to the Toa Metru and what they did, even had a movie where that was part of the title.

But still, the legendary Mask of Life and its trilogy plotline was on a much grander scale.

rahkshi_symbol.png

Eh, the Bionicle "Legends" series was more about exploring the past nature (i.e. legends) of the robot the Matoran lived in, while the Adventures was more about the "adventures" of the Toa Metru on a desperate rescue mission.

Although I see where you're coming from. Depends on how you look at it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, while chronology tells us those titles had to be switched around, keeping it as-is seems more logical when considering the content of the books.

And, as 'The Forgotten One' pointed out earlier, they probably indeed wanted to build some suspense..... for a series of micro-Bionicles that were really just overprices Matorans. ("Buy them for the gollllldd!")

iquXD5X.png

But remember, the Adventures series was written before the Legends series.
What, you're saying that people who came before a legend can't have adventures? D=That's, eeehhhmmm, time-ist! >=I
No, I just realized that, maybe Greg or whoever decided to write about the adventures of the Toa Metru(Hordika, whatever), then decided to write about the legends of the Ignika and Voya Nui, then added the Karda Nui part.

BIONICLE Chronicles wouldn't really fit in that case. I like the names as they are anyway. If you disregard the fact that almost the entirety of the Adventures are flashbacks, the Legends actually show more of the past:

1. All of Legacy of Evil.

2. The introduction of Inferno.

3. The introduction to Downfall.

4. Half of Swamp of Secrets.

If we look at the Adventures as taking place "now," we really learn more about what happened before (such as the creation of the Ignika, the history of the Piraka, the League of Six Kingdoms, the origin of the Toa Mata, etc.) while the Adventures don't explain much of Metru Nui's prehistory. Ironically, due to the inclusion of the Toa-Dark Hunter War in Legacy of Evil, we actually learn more about Metru Nui's history in the Legends than we do in the Adventures.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

BIONICLE Chronicles wouldn't really fit in that case. I like the names as they are anyway. If you disregard the fact that almost the entirety of the Adventures are flashbacks, the Legends actually show more of the past:

1. All of Legacy of Evil.

2. The introduction of Inferno.

3. The introduction to Downfall.

4. Half of Swamp of Secrets.

If we look at the Adventures as taking place "now," we really learn more about what happened before (such as the creation of the Ignika, the history of the Piraka, the League of Six Kingdoms, the origin of the Toa Mata, etc.) while the Adventures don't explain much of Metru Nui's prehistory. Ironically, due to the inclusion of the Toa-Dark Hunter War in Legacy of Evil, we actually learn more about Metru Nui's history in the Legends than we do in the Adventures.

That's a fair point, sir, but those titles you listed are only a small fractions of the series of adventures that were details in Legends. I do not have any real problem with the names as they are, but I still feel that the names would be more indicative of their series' content if they were swapped.

:akaku: X-Ray :akaku:

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."
- Ecclesiastes 4:12

Well, you figure that 'Adventures' probably sounded like one of their coolest titles at the time, so what are you going to do when you write a later series? Pick an even cooler title than the last. You're right in that it canonically makes little sense, but I think the Bionicle crew was more concerned about what title would prove more eye-catching at the time of said series' release, and one that would keep current fans reading. *shrug*

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

Bionicle 2: Legends of Metru Nui becomes Bionicle Adventure, now you know someone probably screw it up.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually thought of this a little while ago, and when you think about it it makes perfect sense. The Adventures series tells the tales about the adventures of past heroes, whereas the Legends series has legends coming to life, such as the Mask of Life, Karzahni, I think Artakha was seen later on. To the Matoran all of those things were just legends, but they were then seeing them with their own eyes. ;)

• 2 weeks later...