MNOLG: The Bohrok Swarms

Nuparu77

This is my first time playing. I'm glad you're doing this.

Things I like:

• The Hafu scene. That's great
  • The matoran life

Feedback (a lot of this has to do with the text - cutting a lot of words and changing it to more active voice would make it sound better):

• In the opening scene, Jaller teleports in. If you make him slide in from below (so that he starts below the screen, instead of on it), it wouldn't look like he teleported
  • I doubt that Matoran would say "heh". Also, I'd put a comma between "worse" and "aren't" in the next sentence. If you get rid of "a month ago" ("Ever since that day a month ago"), it would sound a little better. "Whatever" doesn't seem much like a matoran thing to say, either. If you cut the "so" from "So there's nothing to fear", it's more affirmative and fits better. Same with "and" in "And that was the gate...". Later, Jaller says "Wait a miniute" (mispelling with two periods). I'd replace "Hmm" with "Well" and add a comma after "chased" and before "so".
  • Basically, the opening cutscene is far too wordy. Speech is great but it takes too long to get through (and the sound of BIONICLE characters talking can grow tiresome).
  • In what I assume is Jaller's room (or a guard room), there is a map. It would be awesome if you could view it by clicking on it.
  • In the next conversation, I'd add "They are" to "Dangerous creatures...". Jaller would be more affirmative if he said "But they're trapped down there" (which fits with his character). Also, the first letters of their sentences in this conversation aren't all capitalized. "Rock layer" is two words. Vakama says "Perhaps you already hold the answer yourself", which should either be "Perhaps you hold the answer within yourself" or "Perhaps you already know the answer" (which sounds better, in my opinion). In "The Toa returned to the surface", you only have two periods. Likewise, in "then I was..chased", the first letter isn't capitalized and you only have two periods. Same in the next phrase. And the one after that. And the one after that. "I would say that is your answer then;" would be better as "You have your answer". Likewise, "if you were still able to get out" is better as "if you were able to escape". You use "than" in "than the seal must still be broken" when you mean "then", and it would be better if you changed it to "the seal is broken". In "Takua take this letter to all the other Turaga", it needs a comma after "Takua" and would be better without the "all". In "Where are you heading Takua", a comma is needed after "heading". In "Thanks Jaller your company is always welcome" needs a comma after "Jaller".
  • When a Ga-Matoran says "Chronicler! is it really you? I heard about how you helped the Toa, wish I could've been there!", the "is" needs to be capitalized. It would also sound better as "Chronicler! Is that really you? I heard about your adventures at Kini-Nui! I wish I could have been there!". The same matoran says "I'm gunna catch a big one, I can feel it" - it should be "I'm gonna", but that would be better as "I'm going to". Also, there should either be an exclamation mark or a comma, but not both.
  • When talking to Hahli, the question "How has Ga Koro been recently?" needs a dash in between "Ga" and "Koro". It would be better as "How is Ga-Koro?" In her reply to "What have you been up to?", there is an unneeded space within the word "I've". I don't recall boat designs changing between MNOG I and II - did they? "It has been quite peaceful...", it would be better with a period instead of a comma. "Repairs to the docks..." would be better if you cut the "after that Tarakava attacked." I'd replace "common tasks" with "everday work". "I hear the you" should be "I hear that you" and there should be a comma after "hard work".
  • If Ga-Matoran said "Makuta is finally defeated" instead of "dead" it would fit more with the universe.
  • You can ask the astrologer the question "What are seeing in the stars", which makes no sense whatsoever. He says "a new celestial body has aligned", which doesn't make sense either.
  • Meeting with Nokama...Nokama refers to Jaller as "Captian of the Guard" (should be "Captain"). I would cut the "so far" in "What is being done about this so far?" Jaller says "villiges", but it should be "villages". "Hmm" should be capitalized, and "the bridge heading inland from here is still broken" would be better as "the inland bridge is still broken". "Thanks for the help Turaga Nokama" needs a comma after "help".
  • "Fishtank" is actually two words.
  • At the Ga-Koro beach, Jaller says "Takua what are those marks on the beach", which needs a comma after "Takua". In the following cutscene..."Look at these marks Takua" needs a comma after "marks". In "yeah, It seems like a boat was here", "yeah" should be capitalized", "it" should not and it would read better as "Yeah, it appears that a boat was here." A number of sentences aren't properly capitalized here. "well I think we can assume that..." would be better as "I think we can assume that Maku is no longer at the village."
  • When Nokama says "Hello again", you are missing a period. "Again" should be capitalized in "WHAT! again?" "Maku sneaks out of the village quite often..." would be better as "Maku sneaks out of the village quite often. It appears that she has left again, despite my warnings." "if" should be capitalized and I would cut the sentence to "If you want her help you will have to find her. I apologize for any wasted time this may cause." The question "do you know where..." should have "do" capitalized. "sometimes she goes exploring inland" would be better as "She likes to explore inland, particularly around the Hura Mara river" (also, "river" shouldn't be capitalized and the first word should be). "other times..." would be better as "At other times she sneaks out of the village to meet with Huki, the Koli champion. She claims she is just practicing sailing, but I know the truth" (meet with is better than spy on).
  • I'm not sure if matoran say "gah" - I would change Maku's exclamation to "You scared me!" "Relax Jaller" needs a comma after "Relax". "Some creatures beneath the island..." would make more sense as "I found some creatures beneath the island, and they have the Turaga very worried., and there needs to be a comma after "very dangerous creatures" in Jaller's sentence. "Do you know a fast way across..." should be "Do you know a shortcut across..." "Hmm" and "yes" should be capitalized. "lets" should be "let's". "by the way Maku" should be "By the way, Maku". "We need to get moving Takua" should be "We need to get moving, Takua". "right, sorry, lets get going" should be "Right, sorry, let's get going." "take" in "Take care Jaller" should not be capitalized. "make sure you keep..." would be better as "Keep Maku safe." "Don't worry Takua..." needs a comma after "Takua". "You use caution too..." would be better as "Be careful, Takua" and "these monsters could appear anytime" would be better as "these monsters could appear at any time." "Uh.." needs another period, "you should get going...." has one too many.
  • When Jaller says "I thought you said were were going to Ga-Koro, the cable car will take us to Ko-Koro", that should be two sentences or a two phrases separated by a dash.
  • When talking to the merchant in Po-Wahi..."Its busier because..." should be "It's busier because the Toa defeated Makuta." In his response, "thats" should be "that's". I think that the pile of rubble beneath Onua's mask in the canyon should still be there.
  • I'm not sure that Matoran would say "callin'", I think they'd say "calling". "But, your brave stand was nonetheless..." would be better as "But your brave stand was nonetheless vital to the Toa's defeat of Makuta, and your company's fame has spread throughout Mata Nui."
  • When Hafu says "or should I say "Chronicler" or "Hero", it would be better as "Or should I say "Chronicler"? How about "hero"?" "Showing off a little Huki" should be "Showing off a little, Huki" (otherwise you're saying that he's showing off a small Huki, which would be funny albeit incorrect). "So what ya up to" seems totally out of character - Huki would say something like "So what are you up to"? "Well I'm trying to sell my statues" would be better as "I'm selling statues" (less passive) "but for some reason nobody is buying." His next phrase should be "I can't understand why - after all, *I* made them." "They're.... all statues of you" has one too many periods. "why dont you..." should be "Why don't you make statues of the Toa?" In "Wait, There's only one", "There's" should not be capitalized. In "Ha Ha! First come, First serve," the second "ha" should not be capitalized, nor should the second "first." In "they obviously don't understand Art," "Art" should not be capitalized. "whatever you say Hafu my friend," should be "Whatever you say, Hafu, my friend." "I better" should be "I had better" in both instances. I love the cutscene, by the way.
  • In Hafu's dialogue, "but now that you mention it...", the "but" should be capitalized, and "overlook" isn't a thing - do you mean lookout tower? In "behind you there are...", "behind" should be capitalized, "Right" should not be, and "that should lead you to it, no guarantees though" would be a lot better if you got rid of "no guarantees, though."
  • In Onewa's dialogue, "actually he just left," would be better as "He just left. Pohatu has been visiting the village more frequently now that Makuta is defeated." "sometimes he even..." would be better without the "heh" (per above) and it would be better as "Sometimes he even jumps in the Koli ring with the matoran. They found that the only way to make it remotely fair is a Toa vs. all match." The next sentence would be better as "Even then, he still wins, but it's fun to watch."
  • There shouldn't be an apostrophe in "Thank's".
  • Various dialogue boxes have text in the wrong places - it should always be the top left, then top right, then bottom left, then bottom right.
  • I may be wrong about this, but didn't the naming ceremony happen after the Bohrok-Kal (at the same time that the Matoran were made larger)? If so, then Jaller should be Jala. If not, then Huki should be Hewkii and Koli should be Kolhii.

I'm done for now.

To summarize: you have a lot of capitalization issues, with words not capitalized or capitalized when they should not be. You have a lot of instances in which a comma is necessary but is left out (particularly when someone is addressing a character - a comma is necessary there), and quite a few where there are too few periods. You also leave out a few apostrophes. The cutscenes are also a bit long; as much as I like listening to just about any sound from MNOG, the sound of heads moving can get really tedious if it goes on for too long. Whoever is doing the dialogue could probably use some help with writing it. If you want, I'd be more than happy to directly help whoever is doing dialogue write it.

Edit:I'm taking a look at the second chapter. It's interesting, but I don't think that Takua knows how to fight (even as a Toa it seems like he usually just uses his elemental powers). It would make more sense if Jaller jump-kicked him as he almost certainly has combat training.

Edited by BobaFett2

The Legend Lives...

I didn't see any glitches - I think once or twice the mouse turned to the turn circle but it didn't act like it until it was near the edge. The only animation issue I saw was the Jala thing where he teleports on screen.

A few other things:

• When the Takua pulls the gears down while the Pahrak are on the bridge, it would be a lot better if the bridge drops out from under them and the Pahrak hang in the air for a second before falling rapidly. I think it would fit with the cartoony humor of Mata Nui Online Game.
  • The markings for the boat look out of place, particularly up close. It also is placed a little too far up in the frame so that the top is over the water.
  • The GUI for the snowboard game is a bit plain and the wrong color/style for the game.

I have a question, too: who is working on this game? Nuparu, obviously, and Takua. Anyone else?

Edited by BobaFett2

The Legend Lives...

I didn't see any glitches - I think once or twice the mouse turned to the turn circle but it didn't act like it until it was near the edge. The only animation issue I saw was the Jala thing where he teleports on screen.

A few other things:

• When the Takua pulls the gears down while the Pahrak are on the bridge, it would be a lot better if the bridge drops out from under them and the Pahrak hang in the air for a second before falling rapidly. I think it would fit with the cartoony humor that of Mata Nui Online Game.
  • The markings for the boat look out of place, particularly up close. It also is placed a little too far up in the frame so that the top is over the water.
  • The GUI for the snowboard game is a bit plain and the wrong color/style for the game.

I have a question, too: who is working on this game? Nuparu, obviously, and Takua. Anyone else?

Atm Nuparu and I are the only ones working on the game.

Tu2d6W7.jpg

A few other things:

• When the Takua pulls the gears down while the Pahrak are on the bridge, it would be a lot better if the bridge drops out from under them and the Pahrak hang in the air for a second before falling rapidly. I think it would fit with the cartoony humor that of Mata Nui Online Game.

Atm Nuparu and I are the only ones working on the game.

Do you need any help with development? There may be something I can do.

The Legend Lives...

Wow, back from thanksgiving break and I'm welcomed by real thought-provoking comments!

1: About the siege of Po-koro:I suppose Pohatu distracts the bohrok on his own while the villagers escape through the main door. The bohrok knock out Pohatu, but they focus on destroying Po-koro, not on Pohatu, who can get away and finds some way of defeating the bohrok before they can completely destroy Po-koro.2: You can emphasize the warlike feeling if you do the following things:-Bohrok attacks without a warning throughout the game.-Some scene in Jaller's hut in which the takoro guard discuss the war over the map and explain where the swarms are and which area is in their control, so people can see there are huge amounts on bohrok out there.-Battles in well-known places where the place gets smashed up, which would be followed by a minigame in which you try to get the smashed place toghether to resist more bohrok waves.3: About combat style:We have seen in different media that Tahu, Lewa, Kopaka and Pohatu prefer to use their hand to hand weapons. Gali and onua would be more elemental type fighters.Gali would use bursts of water or tidal waves and onua would cause landslides and rip off parts of the terrain to hurl them at the enemy he would also use his masks (12), as we can see in MNOG in the nui rama hive.We have also seen in this very game how Hewkii and Takua kick Koli balls and bohrok. You can turn those movements more... agile and make pohatu execute them.In all the animations, Kopaka uses his masks and sword to interfere with the terrain in such a way that his enemies end up buried or at the bottom of a cliff.I hope I have been of some help

1. Nice idea. I just have to keep in mind the time-frame. When the Po-Matorans have the boats Pohatu has long since descended with the other Toa to face the Bohrok queens.

2. I really like the idea of giving the Bohrok a physical location! This will definitely give them a feeling of presence on the island!

3. I like the way you lay out the Toa's abilities. You've given me an idea. If we expand on how you've broken down their abilities by separating elemental powers and mask abilities, it might help further classification. For example Tahu uses raw elemental powers frequently whereas Kopaka strategically uses mask abilities.

More on the feel of war: It's going to be mainly graphical. As you venture around the island, you need to see in the background either Bohrok or the results of their destruction. Shake it up as the game goes on - towards the beginning, just have some Va running around in the background. In the midgame, show actual Bohrok making a mess. (It's fine that they don't attack the Matoran - they're not interested in battle unless someone gets in their way). Toward the endgame, most areas should look totally destroyed, and what's left should be swarming with Bohrok.

I like the idea of gradually adding destruction to the island. Partly because from my perspective this will be relatively easy to implement because I can gradually add stuff without needing to do a bunch of stuff all at once.Also, it would be fun to put some Bohrok Va running around in the background.

I concur with what JKK is saying: It is indeed an excellent suggestion. However, try not to detract from the MNOG style of the game.

I Agree.What aspects of the original MNOG are you worried about detracting from?I know that the original game was set in a much more peaceful time period, thus a main theme from the original game needs to be changed. Which is unavoidable.

To summarize: you have a lot of capitalization issues, with words not capitalized or capitalized when they should not be. You have a lot of instances in which a comma is necessary but is left out (particularly when someone is addressing a character - a comma is necessary there), and quite a few where there are too few periods. You also leave out a few apostrophes. The cutscenes are also a bit long; as much as I like listening to just about any sound from MNOG, the sound of heads moving can get really tedious if it goes on for too long. Whoever is doing the dialogue could probably use some help with writing it. If you want, I'd be more than happy to directly help whoever is doing dialogue write it.Edit:I'm taking a look at the second chapter. It's interesting, but I don't think that Takua knows how to fight (even as a Toa it seems like he usually just uses his elemental powers). It would make more sense if Jaller jump-kicked him as he almost certainly has combat training.

lol... I'm and Engineer. I can run circles around people in Math, Physics, and Thermodynamics.English is not my strong suit.... never was.

However you are right, it needs to be fixed. Not sure how I'm going to do it yet.

My original plan was to follow Bionicle's script.... and that's still the plan, however I've decided to take some creative liberties in order to enhance the expiriance.Takua jump-kicking the Bohrok was put in for two main reasons. The first is to tell the player that in my game a different fighting-style is going to be used by each group of Matoran. In contrast to the original game where everyone mostly used a disk.The second reason is I wanted to make Takua a jack-of-all trades because he has traveled around the island much more than any other matoran.

Is he as good as an Onu-engineer at building things? No.

But can he figure out how to fix the bridge machine? Yes.

He is nowhere near as good at jump-kicking as a Po-Matoran who lives and breathes Kolhii. But he can do it a little because he has been immersed in every villages culture to some degree.

What do you think? I know it isn't cannon, but that's my reasoning.

Edited by Nuparu77

boxor_10.jpg

~Fan-Made Game~

To summarize: you have a lot of capitalization issues, with words not capitalized or capitalized when they should not be. You have a lot of instances in which a comma is necessary but is left out (particularly when someone is addressing a character - a comma is necessary there), and quite a few where there are too few periods. You also leave out a few apostrophes. The cutscenes are also a bit long; as much as I like listening to just about any sound from MNOG, the sound of heads moving can get really tedious if it goes on for too long. Whoever is doing the dialogue could probably use some help with writing it. If you want, I'd be more than happy to directly help whoever is doing dialogue write it.Edit:I'm taking a look at the second chapter. It's interesting, but I don't think that Takua knows how to fight (even as a Toa it seems like he usually just uses his elemental powers). It would make more sense if Jaller jump-kicked him as he almost certainly has combat training.

lol... I'm and Engineer. I can run circles around people in Math, Physics, and Thermodynamics.English is not my strong suit.... never was. However you are right, it needs to be fixed. Not sure how I'm going to do it yet.My original plan was to follow Bionicle's script.... and that's still the plan, however I've decided to take some creative liberties in order to enhance the expiriance.Takua jump-kicking the Bohrok was put in for two main reasons.The first is to tell the player that in my game a different fighting-style is going to be used by each group of Matoran. In contrast to the original game where everyone mostly used a disk.The second reason is I wanted to make Takua a jack-of-all trades because he has traveled around the island much more than any other matoran.

Is he as good as an Onu-engineeer at building things? No.

But can he figure out how to fix the bridge machine? Yes.

He is nowhere near as good at jump-kicking as a Po-Matoran who lives and breathes Kolhii. But he can do it a little because he has been immersed in every villages culture to some degree.What do you think? I know it isn't cannon, but that's my reasoning.

Well, I can't say that I love the idea of it, but it works. I can see him acquiring some fighting ability, but I think a throwing disk would make more sense. I do agree with the jack-of-all-trades thing, I'm just not sure if that would include close combat fighting.

How is the text done? Image files or is it just a text file?

The Legend Lives...

How is the text done? Image files or is it just a text file?

Text when talking to people is usually stored in a text file separate from the .swf movie these text files can be changed easily with an excel speech editing tool I made.Text in a cut-scene is currently stored internal to the source .fla file, and can only be accessed/changed if you have Flash CS5 or CS6 software.

I'll PM you with some more info.

boxor_10.jpg

~Fan-Made Game~

lol... I'm and Engineer.

Two things:

One, I assume you mean "an" engineer?

Two, "I'm am engineer, not a poet." You should've said that, seeing as your username is Nuparu and that's one of his quotes. :P

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

lol... I'm and Engineer.

Two things:

One, I assume you mean "an" engineer?

Two, "I'm an engineer, not a poet." You should've said that, seeing as your username is Nuparu and that's one of his quotes. :P

I should have!

Maybe I can make a banner for that...

Yes. So much yes. That banner is just.... yes.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

I checked out Chapter 2 of the new release. I liked the challenge of the machine-gear-fix thing. One thing I didn't like is that the game is very linear, and sometimes it is very hard to follow. I spent a lot of time looking for Kapura before deciding to talk to Whenua after Midiak was healed. I also sort of got stuck in the map-thing during Midiak's story, until I realized that I was playing as Midiak during the sequence. It's a challenge, to be sure, but maybe a little much, since I don't even know what the challenge is before being forced into it.

I checked out Chapter 2 of the new release. I liked the challenge of the machine-gear-fix thing. One thing I didn't like is that the game is very linear, and sometimes it is very hard to follow. I spent a lot of time looking for Kapura before deciding to talk to Whenua after Midiak was healed. I also sort of got stuck in the map-thing during Midiak's story, until I realized that I was playing as Midiak during the sequence. It's a challenge, to be sure, but maybe a little much, since I don't even know what the challenge is before being forced into it.

Wait, when does Midak get healed? I always get stuck with him in Kapura's hut and just lying there.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

Wait, when does Midak get healed? I always get stuck with him in Kapura's hut and just lying there.

He doesn't. I was referring the Kapura bringing him to his hut. My bad.

You're supposed to talk to him there, and he tells you his story. (You need to click on the stones in the map thing in the middle of it.) Then you need to go talk to Whenua. (It's confusing, took me a while to figure this out too, so no worries.)

Edited by fishers64

You're supposed to talk to him there, and he tells you his story. (You need to click on the stones in the map thing in the middle of it.) Then you need to go talk to Whenua. (It's confusing, took me a while to figure this out too, so no worries.)

I had a little trouble with the gear parts myself. It was clear that there wasn't enough, but I kept trying (even though I noticed the broken gear). It wasn't until I realized that I should talk to the guy that I realized I needed a new gear.

I also had some trouble with the Kapura part - it wasn't clear that I should talk to Midak. That said, I think not telling people what to do works pretty well, especially if you like talking to Matoran.

In Le-Koro, the hut with the two rooms feels a little confining - if you could create a roof and up/down scrolling for those, it would feel more airy and free.

The Legend Lives...

Oh, ok. I'm glad someone finally said what you have to do. I just stopped playing because I never had time to figure it out.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

It's a challenge, to be sure, but maybe a little much, since I don't even know what the challenge is before being forced into it.

I had a little trouble with the gear parts myself. It was clear that there wasn't enough, but I kept trying (even though I noticed the broken gear). It wasn't until I realized that I should talk to the guy that I realized I needed a new gear.

I also had some trouble with the Kapura part - it wasn't clear that I should talk to Midak. That said, I think not telling people what to do works pretty well, especially if you like talking to Matoran.

In Le-Koro, the hut with the two rooms feels a little confining - if you could create a roof and up/down scrolling for those, it would feel more airy and free.

So it seems that some people are still having trouble solving everything.... I dunno, maybe I should try to spell things out more...

I don't want to because I feel that the challenge level is just about right.

I definitely don't want this game to become too simple, and have people just whip through it without needing to stop and think.

Anyways, what suggestions do you guys have about things that could be changed to clarify some things, but keep the challenge as well?

The idea of changing the Le-Koro hut to a vertical-pan is a good idea. Right now that room really has no use... so I might be lazy and change it around when the story demands something there.

Yes. So much yes. That banner is just.... yes.

Any chance you could make a higher-res version of that? I want that banner as my wallpaper...

Sure, here is a folder that I will dump any desktops into from now on.

Scaling images up in Flash is extremely easy.

I had made the Boxor image a while ago, just never used it until now.

and it's actually the second slightly-doctored up image I made.

This one was the first:

hafu_b10.jpg

Please use spoiler tags for spoilers only. -B6

Edited by Black Six

boxor_10.jpg

~Fan-Made Game~

Ok, yeah, I tried to talk to Whenua, but the only option I get when I talk to him is that Nuparu is missing and goodbye. I don't have anything else to talk about and Kapura is still no where to be found even though I have checked everywhere. Is mine glitched?

No, there's one more Onu-Matoran you need to talk to. He has a purple Rau. (Nokama's mask)

I would like to propose:

The military of the different villages will be present, but we don't know how they fight. We have only seen the ta koro guard throwing disks.

So I would like to propose:

-The ta koro guard would fight like the macedonians: lances and shields in front, disk throwers in the back. Like a shield wall.

-The gukko force would use their mounts as birds of prey, swooping and grabbing, etc.

-The po koronans would use disks, koli balls and would execute scouting missions on dikapis.

-the ga koronans use bamboo poles and disks (not much of a guard)

-The sanctum guard are essentially defensive soldiers (you cannot carry that ice pick throughout the whole battlefield).

-The ussalry would work as dragoons: being able to throw disks while mounted, but also when dismounted. They would also charge into enemy ranks through the flank or from behind.

I hope this is useful for something.

I would like to propose:

The military of the different villages will be present, but we don't know how they fight. We have only seen the ta koro guard throwing disks.

-The ta koro guard would fight like the macedonians: lances and shields in front, disk throwers in the back. Like a shield wall.

-The gukko force would use their mounts as birds of prey, swooping and grabbing, etc.

-The po koronans would use disks, koli balls and would execute scouting missions on dikapis.

-The sanctum guard are essentially defensive soldiers (you cannot carry that ice pick throughout the whole battlefield).

-The ussalry would work as dragoons: being able to throw disks while mounted, but also when dismounted. They would also charge into enemy ranks through the flank or from behind.

The Ta-Koro Guard, Onu-Koro Ussalry, and Le-Koro Gukko Riders clearly know how to fight. Other than that...we don't know if they have armies. Considering how Ga-Koronans were never shown to actually fight (they relied on their location as their form of defense), I think it's likely that they don't have one. Ko-Koronans, likewise, probably didn't have an actual army, just some guards, relying on their location to protect them. Po-Koronans didn't appear to have an army, either.

The Legend Lives...

I would like to propose:

The Ta-Koro Guard, Onu-Koro Ussalry, and Le-Koro Gukko Riders clearly know how to fight. Other than that...we don't know if they have armies. Considering how Ga-Koronans were never shown to actually fight (they relied on their location as their form of defense), I think it's likely that they don't have one. Ko-Koronans, likewise, probably didn't have an actual army, just some guards, relying on their location to protect them. Po-Koronans didn't appear to have an army, either.

Well, the other tab that I have on my browser right now is Biosector, and it says that ga-koro has a small force of guards, that po-koro has a larger one (they even use dikapis) and that the ko-koro sanctum guard is a permanent army, of which we have only seen two, but they may be more.

Look at it this way: matoran jobs are necessary, but guards are important. I think we can divide guards into two categories: permanent and non- permanent.

Pemanent guards are those which only work as guards (Jaller, Agni, Pakastaa...); non-permanent are those who have other occupations, but defend the koros when necessary (Shasha, Amaya, who you can see defending ga-koro in MNOG and in the bohrok animations, although they are a weacer and a flax maker).

Thus, we can classify the ta koro guard, the ussalry and the gukko force as permanent forces, while ko koro has two permanent guards (talvi and pakastaa) and can call upon some scholars or carvers when in need, the same as whith ga-koro. But we can see at least that po-koro has an army, armed with disks and mounted on dikapis. Seriously, what kind of village has tamed ostriches if they don't need them.

Also, in MNOG II you can see ally and piatra guarding the gate to po-koro. They are the same who in the bohrok animations prepare to help hafu topple his statues. You also have the guard on the lookout tower with the huna. He looks permanent.

As last argument, it would be unfair to have three villages fighting and dying and the others sitting back and watching. Do you really think po matoran (namely hafu) would let them get all the merit?

No, they would not.

I would like to propose:

Well, the other tab that I have on my browser right now is Biosector, and it says that ga-koro has a small force of guards, that po-koro has a larger one (they even use dikapis) and that the ko-koro sanctum guard is a permanent army, of which we have only seen two, but they may be more.

Look at it this way: matoran jobs are necessary, but guards are important. I think we can divide guards into two categories: permanent and non- permanent.

Pemanent guards are those which only work as guards (Jaller, Agni, Pakastaa...); non-permanent are those who have other occupations, but defend the koros when necessary (Shasha, Amaya, who you can see defending ga-koro in MNOG and in the bohrok animations, although they are a weacer and a flax maker).

Thus, we can classify the ta koro guard, the ussalry and the gukko force as permanent forces, while ko koro has two permanent guards (talvi and pakastaa) and can call upon some scholars or carvers when in need, the same as whith ga-koro. But we can see at least that po-koro has an army, armed with disks and mounted on dikapis. Seriously, what kind of village has tamed ostriches if they don't need them.

Also, in MNOG II you can see ally and piatra guarding the gate to po-koro. They are the same who in the bohrok animations prepare to help hafu topple his statues. You also have the guard on the lookout tower with the huna. He looks permanent.

As last argument, it would be unfair to have three villages fighting and dying and the others sitting back and watching. Do you really think po matoran (namely hafu) would let them get all the merit?

No, they would not.

I don't consider a small group of guards to be the same thing as an army (it's a bit arbitrary, but the Ta-Koro guard is clearly massive). A small permanent guard could not defend a village from the swarms.

Yet Ga-Koro matoran only ran away, Ko-Koro did not appear in the animations. I may have misinterpreted the Po-Koro animations - I had assumed that they were just villagers, not trained guards. It wouldn't really fit with the official animations to have Ga-Koro send an army to fight the Bohrok. You could make it fit by having them all defeated, but if they're defeated, then they're under the control of the swarms...

I had not realized that Ko-Koro had an army. Where did they appear?

The Legend Lives...

I would like to propose:

No, they would not.

I don't consider a small group of guards to be the same thing as an army (it's a bit arbitrary, but the Ta-Koro guard is clearly massive). A small permanent guard could not defend a village from the swarms.

Yet Ga-Koro matoran only ran away, Ko-Koro did not appear in the animations. I may have misinterpreted the Po-Koro animations - I had assumed that they were just villagers, not trained guards. It wouldn't really fit with the official animations to have Ga-Koro send an army to fight the Bohrok. You could make it fit by having them all defeated, but if they're defeated, then they're under the control of the swarms...

I had not realized that Ko-Koro had an army. Where did they appear?

IN MNOG 1 they appear before you enter ko-koro, there are two guards, which salute you and shake off the snow if you click them. They also appear guarding the gate and walking around in MNOG II.

As I said, I don't consider guards to be the same as an army. If you have a group of five people guarding a town, that's not an army. They won't be able to defend you from an actual army. There's definitely a structured guard - Kapura has his viewing room and there's a hut (where I presume there are sometimes Ko-Koro guards), as well as the guards outside of the city. But that's not much. Granted, they could have a lot more guards in a place we're not seeing them, but the Ta-Koro guard appears to function more as an army than the Ko-Koro guard.

The Legend Lives...

Wow, back from thanksgiving break and I'm welcomed by real thought-provoking comments!

1: About the siege of Po-koro:I suppose Pohatu distracts the bohrok on his own while the villagers escape through the main door. The bohrok knock out Pohatu, but they focus on destroying Po-koro, not on Pohatu, who can get away and finds some way of defeating the bohrok before they can completely destroy Po-koro.2: You can emphasize the warlike feeling if you do the following things:-Bohrok attacks without a warning throughout the game.-Some scene in Jaller's hut in which the takoro guard discuss the war over the map and explain where the swarms are and which area is in their control, so people can see there are huge amounts on bohrok out there.-Battles in well-known places where the place gets smashed up, which would be followed by a minigame in which you try to get the smashed place toghether to resist more bohrok waves.3: About combat style:We have seen in different media that Tahu, Lewa, Kopaka and Pohatu prefer to use their hand to hand weapons. Gali and onua would be more elemental type fighters.Gali would use bursts of water or tidal waves and onua would cause landslides and rip off parts of the terrain to hurl them at the enemy he would also use his masks (12), as we can see in MNOG in the nui rama hive.We have also seen in this very game how Hewkii and Takua kick Koli balls and bohrok. You can turn those movements more... agile and make pohatu execute them.In all the animations, Kopaka uses his masks and sword to interfere with the terrain in such a way that his enemies end up buried or at the bottom of a cliff.I hope I have been of some help

1. Nice idea. I just have to keep in mind the time-frame. When the Po-Matorans have the boats Pohatu has long since descended with the other Toa to face the Bohrok queens.

2. I really like the idea of giving the Bohrok a physical location! This will definitely give them a feeling of presence on the island!

3. I like the way you lay out the Toa's abilities. You've given me an idea. If we expand on how you've broken down their abilities by separating elemental powers and mask abilities, it might help further classification. For example Tahu uses raw elemental powers frequently whereas Kopaka strategically uses mask abilities.

About the time-frame, remember mata nui is huge, and po-koro is at THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ISLAND from ga-koro. They would need some time to travel. Besides, po-matoran are not terribly good sailors.

As I said, I don't consider guards to be the same as an army. If you have a group of five people guarding a town, that's not an army. They won't be able to defend you from an actual army. There's definitely a structured guard - Kapura has his viewing room and there's a hut (where I presume there are sometimes Ko-Koro guards), as well as the guards outside of the city. But that's not much. Granted, they could have a lot more guards in a place we're not seeing them, but the Ta-Koro guard appears to function more as an army than the Ko-Koro guard.

Well, jaller once said that the ko-koronans are very little seen, and we know that before the defeat of makuta matoran travelled very little. Most of the 'armies' would be basically groups of guards, except the Guard, which is larger, and can spare soldiers for the rest of mata nui.

About size, greg once said something about there being about 1000 matoran in mata nui. That leaves us with 166'6 villagers per village, among which a maximum number of about 50-60 would be able to take arms without leaving any important job without workers. I am not saying that all the guard forces are that big, though.

Obviously the number we saw in MNOG had to be small, but I'm of the opinion that any guard there is in Ko-Koro is limited to 10, or 20 at most, while the Ta-Koro guard probably exceeds 25-30. That's just how I feel things are. Also, I suspect that Ga-Koro has no guards whatsoever, and Po-Koro has a minimal number, if any (the Matoran there are fairly able-bodied).

The Legend Lives...

I'd say that perhaps Po-koro, Ga-koro, and Ko-koro probably have guarding forces of perhaps 30-50 matoran, while the Ta-koro Guard, Gukko Force, and the Ussalry may have around 60-80 matoran, give or take.

That sounds excessive.

Ga-Koro clearly doesn't have defenders, or if they do it's a VERY small amount.

The Ussalry and Gukko Force probably have far fewer people than the Guard because they ride mounts. We haven't seen ANY guards at Po-Koro, so if they have any, the number is quite small. I suspect they rely on the same defense as Ga-Koro, which is the terrain.

Even Ta-Koro, which is known for its guard, shouldn't need much of one because of the terrain. It's likely that the numbers don't top 40 (especially as life on Mata Nui is fairly difficult).

Edited by BobaFett2

The Legend Lives...

Obviously the number we saw in MNOG had to be small, but I'm of the opinion that any guard there is in Ko-Koro is limited to 10, or 20 at most, while the Ta-Koro guard probably exceeds 25-30. That's just how I feel things are. Also, I suspect that Ga-Koro has no guards whatsoever, and Po-Koro has a minimal number, if any (the Matoran there are fairly able-bodied).

remember the ko-koronans have a canon name: the sanctum guard. Any force with a canon name must be big enough to deserve the attention of the story team. They even have weapons designed just for them.

I'd say that perhaps Po-koro, Ga-koro, and Ko-koro probably have guarding forces of perhaps 30-50 matoran, while the Ta-koro Guard, Gukko Force, and the Ussalry may have around 60-80 matoran, give or take.

Whoa! those are too many. Remember we only saw two matoran in the siege of ga koro fighting with weapons, and two matoran at the gates of ko-koro. If they had that number, they would smash the rahi into oblivion and have whole bunkers, checkpoints and trenches at the gates of the villages.

Besides, with about 167 matoran in each koro, it doesn't make sense if the ussalry has 80 soldiers, while we have seen dozens of them at the great mine in MNOG.

Then we can estimate:

The ta koronans may have about 50 guards, all of them permanent, and would call upon other 10 or so if in need (takua was asked to join in MNOG, but he was never permanent)

The ko koronans can have around 20 guards, but would be able to call upon 30 others without interrupting the village's economy. Note that their village principle is 'peace'.

The ga koronans would have around 10 guards, but would be able to call upon many more. Note that they are gentle and peaceful, and would not have a big permanent group of matoran whose job is fighting. They would call upon others when in need, though. They also used keras crabs as fighting units, in exchange for fish.

The po-koronans would have a small guard of 20 matoran, some of which would ride on dikapis. They would also rely on koli players to kick stones in rahi faces, apart from the non-permanents.

The ussalry would consist of around 30 riders, with their ussals, and, of course, some non-permanent foot soldiers (you cannot fight only with ussals). Note that boxors are hard to make. You need time, a disabled bohrok and to be Nuparu. Note that ussal regiments are composed of 3 riders. (see bs01 in the battle of kini nui).

Finally, the gukko riders would consist of around 30 matoran, with kewas, some kahus and (according to bs01) some non-infected nui ramas (helicopters!)

This, I repeat is an ESTIMATION, which I have made comparing the results of battles with my common sense and whith what we have seen in different media.

That sounds excessive.

Ga-Koro clearly doesn't have defenders, or if they do it's a VERY small amount.

The Ussalry and Gukko Force probably have far fewer people than the Guard because they ride mounts. We haven't seen ANY guards at Po-Koro, so if they have any, the number is quite small. I suspect they rely on the same defense as Ga-Koro, which is the terrain.

Even Ta-Koro, which is known for its guard, shouldn't need much of one because of the terrain. It's likely that the numbers don't top 40 (especially as life on Mata Nui is fairly difficult).

Remember the main enemies which attacked ga-koro: tarakava; water rahi who can swim. Ga koro would be defenseless then, and I suppose somene must have thought 'hey, what if we crush the tarakavas too' at some point in the 1000 years long war.

Also, think that all these 'defense by terrain' has a flaw: rahi living in ta wahi must be able to move at ease in ta wahi, and the same with the rest of the regions.

Keep in mind that there are far more matoran on Mata Nui than you see in MNOLG. If you watch MoL, you will notice, at the very beginning of the movie, there is a ton of matoran just in the Ta-koro kolhii field.

I repeat: the canon estimation, as dr. O just said, is 1000 matoran in metru nui (at the time of the great cataclysm). The same number must be in mata nui, apart from 6 additional turaga and 6 (later 7) additional toa.

Anyway, let's hear what nuparu has to say about all this. After all, it's his game, and we are only discussing things he can add into it.

The Takarava attack worked because they had no defenses against it. It doesn't make sense to assume that they had some other defense when they clearly didn't have one.

Also, the villages aren't necessarily the same as the Wahi. A beast that lurks on the treefloor (Le-Wahi) isn't going to be much of a threat against the treetop village of Le-Koro. Likewise, Ta-Koro is in a mountain surrounded by a lava moat. Ta-Wahi is a beach and some forest.

The Legend Lives...

The Takarava attack worked because they had no defenses against it. It doesn't make sense to assume that they had some other defense when they clearly didn't have one.

Also, the villages aren't necessarily the same as the Wahi. A beast that lurks on the treefloor (Le-Wahi) isn't going to be much of a threat against the treetop village of Le-Koro. Likewise, Ta-Koro is in a mountain surrounded by a lava moat. Ta-Wahi is a beach and some forest.

Well, we know of only one efficient tarakava attack, which war successful thanks to the pump breaking. The sea is swarming with tarakavas, and in 1000 years there would have been many tarakava attacks. The problem with that successful one must be the pump breaking before they could execute the defensive protocol, which may have something to do with the hut that sank.

Then, about le-koro: let me remind you the fauna you have there: nui rama (flying), nui kopen (flying), kahus (flying), kewas (flying), gukkos (flying) and brakas monkeys. Tose are clearly a threat to le koro.

Also, remember all three wahis are about the same size, so ta wahi is larger than that. It includes the Mangai volcano, some smaller volcanoes (ta koro is in one), and much volcanic land. The rahi inhabiting there are resistant to heat and capable of climbing rocky terrain, for example, kofo jagas.

The same with the others: muakas move basically as those modern turbo-sleds, and they are native to ko wahi; In po wahi, some rahi hide beneath the sand, there are tunnel dwellers in onu wahi and, of course, aquatic rahi in naho bay.

Think that these rahi are controlled by teridax, who would send each rahi to the area it canfight better in; he would not send a fire kofo-jaga or a digging nui jaga to ga-koro, but a water-dwelling tarakava or a swimming takea.