Memes Take Over

zsdiogo

So, what is your opinion? Do you think that during the Downtime a lot of members turned to the "worship" of memes? In my opinion, yes. I see A LOT more ponys on signatures :biggrin: EDIT: Hot Topic! Great! :onfire: :onfire: :onfire: :onfire: :onfire:

Edited by zsdiogo

Looks like it's time to stop staring and start contributing.

I'd classify the pony takeover as more of a semi-rabid internet subculture with various memes sprouting from it. That being said, I'd say that I've seen slightly more memes since BZPower's return to the Internet. Just slightly.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Really? I haven't noticed anything odd since the foums have been back up... *sheepishly glances at avatar* To be honest I kinda expected MLP to be prevalant on BZP when it came back up. Really, in my opinion BZP would probably be more meme oriented if it werent for the fact that most internet memes arent exactly in the "Safe for Kids/Work" region, and depending on where you go the "Brony" fandom kinda toes the line there as it is. :Yami:

The Desk Of YamiXBLGamertag:Darkbolt40

There's not a lot of memes... aside from the burst of MLP. :wired:. It's frightning me.

jimistringer.png

Why are orange and black such a good color Combination ? Purple is pretty, and so is blue. Pink hurts your eyes, green is quite mellowing, black is very threatning, red is cool, orange is SO awesome, yellow's hard to read... But you can't see white at all! Oh, wait. I forgot brown.

Here's my thoughts: If a person tells the truth and says, " I always lie," Is he lying? Or is he telling the truth? And what has a mouth, but no head, and a body, but no torso? Do caterpillars like to tend to supporting colum of stone's every need? Or is that name misleading by nature? Speaking of nature, why are the children of animals called offspring? don't many young beasts come alive in spring, and thus, should be called onspring? Heeeeeeyy..... I got the first post on a page for the first time. Who knows; it may happen again. What the... It did happen again... and again...

YEAH! I'M ENCOUNTERING PROTODERMIS!

It's been half a year since Bzpower went down. People had time to actually grow up a bit, and surf other places of the Internet. Thus, memes become a slight bit more usual than they were before.Regarding that My Little Pony fad which has been going on in the Internet general, I really hope the only reason that someone would have a bunch of purple unicorns who learn lessons about friendship every day in their avatars and signatures, is just part of the whole concept that "Oh yeah, I'm putting ponies in my sig as a joke; I'M SUPER COOL". Memes are a part of the Internet. Bzpower was down for six months; people browsed other sites, and went more meme orientated. It's only logical.

It's been half a year since Bzpower went down. People had time to actually grow up a bit, and surf other places of the Internet. Thus, memes become a slight bit more usual than they were before. Regarding that My Little Pony fad which has been going on in the Internet general, I really hope the only reason that someone would have a bunch of purple unicorns who learn lessons about friendship every day in their avatars and signatures, is just part of the whole concept that "Oh yeah, I'm putting ponies in my sig as a joke; I'M SUPER COOL". Memes are a part of the Internet. Bzpower was down for six months; people browsed other sites, and went more meme orientated. It's only logical.

Right, because it's not because people actually watch the show and enjoy it or anything.[/sarcasm] Seriously though, it's more than a meme, it's a way of life. (and an awesome one at that.) Think about it though, everyone could go into extreme roleplaying, acting exactly like their favorite character. Now that would be plain scary. Guess I'll go bring Tom back to the shop and work on those dresses for the gala.[/more sarcasm]
rarity-with-wings.jpgrarity-heart.png <<Newest Chibi: Nuparu Inika

I'm slightly extremely disturbed by the MLP presence. I don't hate it, but it does make me inexplicably sick that men watch this.

Song Of The Month: From Scythe to Sceptre - Be'Lakor

qs104307.jpg
qs104307.jpg
Hau and Kakama collected!
I accept PBZP Requests. Just PM Me the letter you want, and the details of what you'd like to see in the MOC.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y X Z
Red= Taken and in Progress, Blue = Open, Black = Finished

Friendship is Magic seemed to replace Homestuck as the forum fad, and before that it was... 90's movies? And Batman? And Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? I think memes (rage faces, internet-popularized phrases, etc.) have always had a presence on BZP since BZP is on the internet. Name change/profile theme fads seem to be a different thing altogether, and the current one is MLP. It's hard to tell who's being ironic and who's playing it straight though. It's sorta annoying but I like the cartoon anyways :B -ck

I agree with you. I do however like the CreepyPasta meme, as it has blown up into its own sub-culture.I also like memes that are a quick one shot on the internet. They get huge aknowledgement for about a month, then dissapear....

Song Of The Month: From Scythe to Sceptre - Be'Lakor

qs104307.jpg
qs104307.jpg
Hau and Kakama collected!
I accept PBZP Requests. Just PM Me the letter you want, and the details of what you'd like to see in the MOC.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y X Z
Red= Taken and in Progress, Blue = Open, Black = Finished

I reason the reason behind the pony thing was that a cartoon critic didn't like it and hailed the MLP as the end of a creator-driven animation or some other term. Then Site with forums removed. -B6, made fun of the article, and realized that the show was pretty good.

Edited by Black Six

IMHO, it's simply one of the best animated shows of the past several years.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

I'm slightly extremely disturbed by the MLP presence. I don't hate it, but it does make me inexplicably sick that men watch this.

I agree expect that I am VERY VERY extremely disturbed and I hate it. It's a show made for girls. I could rant about this in more detail but I'd probably get banned so I'll leave it at that. Edited by -Knight Rider2000-

But why is it so wrong for adults to like kid's shows? Would you react the same if adult women would like, say, Transformers as much?

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

If you all wish to discuss My Little Pony specifically, might I direct you to the MLP Topic in COT. If you wish to discuss the prevalence of memes on BZPower, please continue to do it here. To clarify, posting about the MLP fad in this topic is fine as it falls under the general topic of memes. However discussing the actual merits of the show itself needs to go in the MLP Topic. Furthermore, posting image only posts is against the rules, and I request that all parties cease and desist. Linking to an image macro amounts to the same thing as posting it, so please stop it. Thank you!

I like the Pony fad. Not a brony, but it's way better than the huge sig war going on during the end of the old forum. :|And I have much more respect for Bronies than the last sig fad..

Edited by Icicle

Hey look I almost have 1000 posts

They didn't turn to the worship of memes, they turned to the worship of ponies. And this meme outlasted even the downtime! tl;dr, but no doubt I'm not the first one to say so.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!