Memes Take Over

zsdiogo

Maybe some people are in it for the sigfad, but, given that the Bionicle story was only updated once during the six months of downtime, isn't it understandable that people would come to love new things? Yes, the show has spawned a lot of memes, but I think most of the sigs, avatars and name changes reflect a genuine affection for the show. Also, implying that teenage boys and adult men shouldn't like the show is the equivalent of saying that I shouldn't like Bionicle because I'm an adult female. Now, I don't think anyone would come up and say something so blatantly sexist, so why is it okay to do the reverse? So, please, everyone criticising the "fad"- I have one request. Watch one episode of the show. They're all easily available online. (I recommend "Lesson Zero", as it requires no previous understanding of the show.) I'm not a "brony", or anything, but, really people, this show isn't all that bad.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

It's been half a year since Bzpower went down. People had time to actually grow up a bit, and surf other places of the Internet. Thus, memes become a slight bit more usual than they were before. Regarding that My Little Pony fad which has been going on in the Internet general, I really hope the only reason that someone would have a bunch of purple unicorns who learn lessons about friendship every day in their avatars and signatures, is just part of the whole concept that "Oh yeah, I'm putting ponies in my sig as a joke; I'M SUPER COOL". Memes are a part of the Internet. Bzpower was down for six months; people browsed other sites, and went more meme orientated. It's only logical.

We put ponies on BZP because Friendship is Magic rules. It would be blatant sexism to say guys can't be into it. And for the records, only Twilight Sparkle is a purple unicorn! There are lots of unicorns and breeds.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

It doesn't seem to be much a problem, honestly. I watched a few episodes and it wasn't my cup of tea, but I can understand that other people may enjoy it. Sadly, the fanbase is ruined by an annoying vocal minority that makes me violently frustrated. But that kind of homicidal rage hasn't been awakened on BZP so I'd say there's no issue at present. And for the record, every meme stops being funny before they become widespread. The more you know.

kaiji.jpg

KUYASHII

­

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: ImaGonnaGetYou

I actually don't mind, it could of been a lot worse themes then "My Little Pony" stuff after all. At least it's kid friendly and besides it will fade away in a few months or so and a new theme will take its place. I view this to be quite normal on this site. Oh and by the way I am a guy and I've seen the first two episodes... of course it was abriged though...

Edited by TrueshadowX01

"Don't! They will kill you like a small dog. Instead let your anger be as if it were a monkey on a treadmill; confused and tripping around." -Lelouch of Britania- (Here is my BZPRPG Profile, Diotrua.) 

09972482fe0243bdf1778f84fd5d61d1.gif

As the others have said, it's a case of people finding other interests in the downtime. The line is dead and the story is updated very sporadically, so I imagine what kept people's interest was the forums themselves. With that community lacking, people turned to other boards and picked up other interests. As for the My Little Pony stuff, well, that's everywhere these days. I can't say I get it, but then again I'm a college student posting on a Bionicle fan forum, so what do I know.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I watched episode 1 to see and I hated it and felt girly the whole way through.

It's good that you made the effort. Thank you. However...

Proud BZPMABer (BZPower memeber against Bronies)

I would advise taking this out of your sig. You're essentially discriminating against a particular group of people, which may come across to some people as intolerance, flamebaiting, or sexism. just something to think about...

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

I don't know about some, but I watch MLP because I like it, not because everyone else does. Tho those who don't like it or are just neutral, but have actually seen the show, I really appreciate that you at least gave it a try. But please, to the haters, hate leads you to nothing. I highly recommend watching the show with an open mind. Just wanted to say that, please go on with your topic. :biggrin:

Edited by Darky Hooves

"cool dude"

There I changed it.

That's pretty immature, bro. Not cool.

As the others have said, it's a case of people finding other interests in the downtime. The line is dead and the story is updated very sporadically, so I imagine what kept people's interest was the forums themselves. With that community lacking, people turned to other boards and picked up other interests. As for the My Little Pony stuff, well, that's everywhere these days. I can't say I get it, but then again I'm a college student posting on a Bionicle fan forum, so what do I know.

And the ironic thing is that even if you don't get the fanbase at all, you know more about MLP than an overwhelming majority of people.
kaiji.jpg

KUYASHII

­

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: ImaGonnaGetYou

Memes? What memes? Sure, I'd say there would be a lot if there were over nine thousand memes, but Y U No understand that people are people, and memes are funny, and people like funny. As for the MLP thing, it seems fine, but if I was a so-called 'Brony', I'd be kind of embarrased to tell the orld about it.

Edited by Kung fu rahkshi destroyer

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

'Worship'? No, no worship. I don't worship any memes, and I personally wouldn't call the whole My Little Pony deal a meme, more like a fanbase now. It used to be a fad (from what I know), but it changed during the downtime as more and more members became fans of the show. Being a Brony, I support the growth of the pony fanbase, and all those who enjoy Friendship is Magic. :3 -Skar

Then I'd better get out of here.

Hahahaha... I think I should leave too my friend... :cry: There is too much rainbowcovered freindship talking bronies and their terrible surger coated power of friendship is far too beyond our power and control... :drool: Must... resist... the cuteness... :drooling: Ughhhhh.... :OMG: *Runs in panic from topic*

"Don't! They will kill you like a small dog. Instead let your anger be as if it were a monkey on a treadmill; confused and tripping around." -Lelouch of Britania- (Here is my BZPRPG Profile, Diotrua.) 

Was there a time when memes weren't taking over? There has been (and will always be) a prominent occurrence of some running trend that will capture the attention of many. The only difference now is that we are seeing new trends. And it won't be long before another shift comes our way. This place is an amalgam of different cultures and sub-cultures, but now and again, you'll find one trend transcends the lines between them more powerfully than others. tl;dr - Memes are a constant and the rise of a trend is a cyclical occurrence. -Ced

I try to respect all opinions, brony or otherwise. If you think that Friendship is Magic is "stupid" or anything like that, I won't force you to like it, but try to say it in a non-derogatory way. @-Knight Rider2000-: I guess that being a self-declared "Non Brony BZPower Memer" isn't derogatory. But don't claim to be against us. It's not a happy feeling.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Brines do watch the show. Check the topic.

I like the Pony fad. Not a brony, but it's way better than the huge sig war going on during the end of the old forum. :|And I have much more respect for Bronies than the last sig fad..

Yeah... That almost killed BZP.

I find the thought that MLP is just a meme laughable, and the immensely immature view that just because it's for female audiences us guys aren't allowed to like it annoys me. Let's be serious, we're teenagers/young adults in a forum about toys; I'd expect people act better than that.Anyways, I don't really see any increase in memes here.

AXKP5KC.png

Brines do watch the show. Check the topic.

I like the Pony fad. Not a brony, but it's way better than the huge sig war going on during the end of the old forum. :|And I have much more respect for Bronies than the last sig fad..

Yeah... That almost killed BZP.
:o *stops running from topic and turns around* Hey I remember that... that was an "educational" experience I don't want to repeat. It didn't end well and was more of troll war that split BZP in half. -_- Edited by TrueshadowX01

If people online make fun of me it means nothing because you don't know me in real life. Even in real life I don't care. I like being different. If people don't like me or my views they can toss off. I've explained many times. I don't like the high amount of MLP avatars and digs in here.

Edited by -Knight Rider2000-

I don't do memes; they betray a lack of creativity. However, I have noticed a lot more ponies since the forums came back online. That either means that a rouge group of eight-year-old girls took over BZPower, or that the MLP meme has spread it's hoofs father on the net. -don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

Frankly, I think any male who watches MLP: FIM should go home and be a family man. *waits to see if anyone gets the reference* I doubt any brony would go to, say, their parents (or especially friends and siblings) and say "Look what I watch!". While I don't actually hate guys who watch "that show", I am annoyed at all the pony sigs on the forums. Better than the sigs on the old forums - anyone remember those? - but I still fail to see why these people need to tell everyone else they watch "that show".

I hate the MLP thing. The shows is for little girls I fail to understand the appeal. What's next Care Bears?

Don't give anyone any ideas, please.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

I hated the last war even more than this one, actually, but was somewhat afraid to talk about it. I just don't see why anyone needs to loudly trumpet that they're an MLP: FIM fan here.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

I wouldn't call it whining - that's a pretty inflammatory word. And I think it belongs here - we were making a valid observation about one popular meme in general, nothing more, nothing less.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Guys, seriously, you were told before. Take your whining about MLP to the MLP topic. This is a topic for discussing the presence of memes on BZP, not bashing people for liking/not liking some cartoon.

... So your telling 'em to quit flaming GD and flame CoT?

Alright let's quit referencing the last sig war before it starts again. file:///C:UsersJonathanAppDataLocalTempmsohtmlclip11clip_image001.pngWhy is this sig fad making people more angry than all the others?

Perhaps I can explain, MLP was originally a show for little girls, but because of the new show's (interestingly) high quality animations, good voice acting and supposedly intriguing story was populated by some guys who spread it's popularity throughout the internet and coined the term bronies by mixing the word "Bro" (from brother) with the word ponies, Bronies/Brother Ponies. This was popularized as a meme to make it more appealing and expectable to the general public. Of course not everyone is into that sort of thing and often criticizes it and points out how it is commonly associated with "creepy" grown men who are inappropriately interested in children shows and suggest suspicion of their purpose. Just like the meme involving a creepy brown bear in the background of a playground. So that’s where that bias comes from and is why it angers some people. Edited by TrueshadowX01

Alright let's quit referencing the last sig war before it starts again. file:///C:UsersJonathanAppDataLocalTempmsohtmlclip11clip_image001.pngWhy is this sig fad making people more angry than all the others?

Perhaps I can explain, MLP was originally a show for little girls, but because of the new show's (interestingly) high quality animations, good voice acting and supposedly intriguing story was populated by some guys who spread it's popularity throughout the internet and coined the term bronies by mixing the word "Bro" (from brother) with the word ponies, Bronies/Brother Ponies. This was popularized as a meme to make it more appealing and expectable to the general public. Of course not everyone is into that sort of thing and often criticizes it and points out how it is commonly associated with "creepy" grown men who are inappropriately interested in children shows and suggest suspicion of their purpose. Just like the meme involving a creepy brown bear in the background of a playground. So that’s where that bias comes from and is why it angers some people.

Perhaps I can explain, MLP was originally a show for little girls, but because of the new show's (interestingly) high quality animations, good voice acting and supposedly intriguing story was populated by some guys who spread it's popularity throughout the internet and coined the term bronies by mixing the word "Bro" (from brother) with the word ponies, Bronies/Brother Ponies. This was popularized as a meme to make it more appealing and expectable to the general public. Of course not everyone is into that sort of thing and often criticizes it and points out how it is commonly associated with "creepy" grown men who are inappropriately interested in children shows and suggest suspicion of their purpose. Just like the meme involving a creepy brown bear in the background of a playground. So that’s where that bias comes from and is why it angers some people.
Ohhhhh.... I forgot about "creepy" bear... Now they make sense. But, if they come to the MLP topic, they'll know were not like that.