Memes Take Over

zsdiogo

If it's the episode I'm thinking about, they didn't change the voice for the abridged episode.

I think it was a more recent one and they only did like two episodes of it but the sound quality was almost as good as the actual show. In it Flutterfly had a deep manly voice throughout but still acted shy and talked at a low voice. In the end of the second one there was a scene when they were fighting that evil pony and they were fighting it Final Fantasy I style. I watched it a week or two ago.
Haven't seen the abridged series, but the deep voice is based on something that happened in the canon episode "Bridle gossip". But, yes, she normally has a very soft female voice.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

I haven't seen it here at all since the forums got back up. It looks like that meme... (puts on sunglasses) ...pushed too many buttons around here. YEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Well it certainly seems like this thread has a lot of...*puts on sunglasses*...horsing around YEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

I've never...*sunglasses*....herd that one before. YEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!
I think I...*sunglasses*...hay-t these puns. YEEEEAHHHHHHHHH
http-~~-//www.swfcabin.com/swf-files/1267927742.swf Alright kids, since we seem to be discussing the actual show now, maybe it's time to take it to the MLP topic, yeah? Edited by Aho-Chan

bionicle is trans culture

Don't remind them.. :|If we sound like "extreme bigots" they'll make it their career to revive the sig war. MLP doesn't have an awkward explanation to everyone glancing so I'm happy, especially because mobile doesn't have signatures.So how about we just be thankful in our heads that the downtime replaced it with something better..

Edited by Icicle

Hey look I almost have 1000 posts

Do pie jokes cout as a Bionicle meme? After that random Po-Matoran in MNOG shouting about somebody eating his pie?

Well it certainly seems like this thread has a lot of...*puts on sunglasses*...horsing around YEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

I've never...*sunglasses*....herd that one before. YEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!
I think I...*sunglasses*...hay-t these puns. YEEEEAHHHHHHHHH
Oh? Well, I know mine was bad, but yours... *extra pair of sunglasses*... was the last straw! WOOHOOO! [/kiina]

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Don't remind them.. :|If we sound like "extreme bigots" they'll make it their career to revive the sig war. MLP doesn't have an awkward explanation to everyone glancing so I'm happy, especially because mobile doesn't have signatures.So how about we just be thankful in our heads that the downtime replaced it with something better..

I agree, and besides MLP isn’t controversial or bear double meanings mixed with political or religious ideologies (which the other previous one did) and doesn’t offend 50% of members that argue it is wrong, which in consequence, doesn’t offended the other 50% people who had those sigs from being offended by those others disliking their sigs and/or those who were offended by them. Oh and besides MLP has a more clear image of family friendliness and less serious with no real controversial motivation behind it. MLP sigs in BZP are way more beneficial to the BZP community then the previous sigs (war) and even helps ease the previous tension and division of Bzpower members. I urge that those who may want to revive the previous debate or those who want to troll others to revive the previous debate that it would not help or prove anything regardless of which side you affiliate with. Also, if the debate of the previous sigs were to occur again because of this topic of the MLP meme, I will report on it and then demand that the rules to be ratified in the terms of great details and several examples of what is allowed to be said and how it should be expressed. (Although at the moment this is not an issue as it was back then, being that there is no need to exert better clarifications of the rules established.) Anyway, I believe we are all starting to get of track in the main topic here and I admit I am guilty of this as well and I apologize. I am not part of the BZP staff but I will warn you all to not spark another sigs war, that would be destructive, irrational, and completely inappropriate behavior. So try to be more civil and show more respect to each other, rather you like bronies or not or agreed or disagreed with the previous debate. So please think before posting something that might start some pointless argument again and not only keep on topic but keep it friendly and open to everyone. This is a fan site, it was meant to be productive, creative, and fun; even when disagreeing or discussing memes or anything for that matter. I hope what I had to say was useful to everyone here and helps prevent any potential outbreaks.

I still see a few kissing banners around, but I think MLP has stamped it out mostly.Unless....We combine the two! :o

I don't think that would help anything... and I am curious to what "pure" motivation someone would have to justify such action? Please, everyone, don't threaten to start something again just to prove some personal point, it is a emotionally unhealthly characteristic to possess and will not serve you or this site in the long run. Edited by TrueshadowX01

"Don't! They will kill you like a small dog. Instead let your anger be as if it were a monkey on a treadmill; confused and tripping around." -Lelouch of Britania- (Here is my BZPRPG Profile, Diotrua.) 

09972482fe0243bdf1778f84fd5d61d1.gif

Yeah, seriously. That sig war ruined BZP, and almost got some members banned, for arguing, and supporting the "wrong" side. And pony's totally kick butt!Though, a BZP original meme would be fun.

Agreed, and yes we do more originality of some sort... I am still thinking of something.

"Don't! They will kill you like a small dog. Instead let your anger be as if it were a monkey on a treadmill; confused and tripping around." -Lelouch of Britania- (Here is my BZPRPG Profile, Diotrua.) 

Anyone else remember the days when the "I'M IN UR BASE" meme took over BZPower? Or am I such an old-timer I'm the only one who recalls it? :P Anyway, my point is memes have always been a part of BZP life. The memes change but the practice certainly hasn't. MLP is actually the first "meme" I've participated in, though I do want to make clear that I have an MLP banner/avatar because I genuinely adore this show and fell in love with it over the downtime - and frankly, I have no reason to believe that anyone here with an MLP banner/av is doing so ironically. Before this I only had banners and avatars advertising my now-deceased BZP comic series.

Edited by lavaside rahi

If you want to see what became of me... I became a brony fan fiction writer.

I won't allow memes to take over.

ILied.png

In my defense, I'm not up to snuff on memes these days, so I wasn't entirely certain of the sarcasm until I saw the filename. Edited by Watashi Wa
Do not mention sites with comment systems. - WW

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Memes get extremely old. They fall in and out of style, and I think they hurt humor. I still enjoy the occasional obscure one here and there, but I think they come from darker corners of the Internet than BZPower's audience is accustomed to. I could be wrong, I look at the birthdays thing on the side and everyone is turning 20, 21. It makes me a little sad. :/

Hey man, that's just the curl of the burl.

Well, I'd sure like some pound cake right about now.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

The cake is a lie.
Not if it's pound cake.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

The cake is a lie.
Not if it's pound cake.
But I'd rather have *sunglasses* ...Cupcakes! Yeeeeeaaaaaaaah!
That's getting old already. Time to start firin' my lazah.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

I've swear I've seen memes sprouting up before the downtime. Although in terms of the MLP thing, most people have joined in, largely out of the hole BZP left, which they replaced with whatever the internets currently raving about, which was MLP. At least, that's what I did. And it sure is fun.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

I've swear I've seen memes sprouting up before the downtime. Although in terms of the MLP thing, most people have joined in, largely out of the hole BZP left, which they replaced with whatever the internets currently raving about, which was MLP. At least, that's what I did. And it sure is fun.

Yeah, until everyone moves on to something else, which is why I mostly stay out of that sort of thing.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

It's a group mentality, really. People like seeing similarity between themselves and others. In social media, this means that jokes get repeated ad nauseum, resulting in memes, and people who like or dislike things feel the need to be very vocal about them. For a while, the cool thing to make your stance known about was Twilight, now that's mostly died down and people are talking about ponies instead. Eventually, that will stop being the hot topic for love/hate discussion, and people will move on to something else. What's important to remember is that rationality is irrelevant. We, as social creatures, don't care what makes sense, we care what makes people like us. To the uninterested, third-party observer, this makes an interesting situation, in which at least one side in any argument (usually both) feels the need to be very aggressive about their point of view. In any discussion, this leads to a balance of annoyance, in which the arguments used by the sides involved end up relatively fixed with their relative capacity for annoyance. With Twilight, it was a 1:1 ratio - both sides were equally obnoxious. With other issues, though - the obvious one being MLP - one side tends to be much more aggressive (and therefore irritating) than the other.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

It's a group mentality, really. People like seeing similarity between themselves and others. In social media, this means that jokes get repeated ad nauseum, resulting in memes, and people who like or dislike things feel the need to be very vocal about them. For a while, the cool thing to make your stance known about was Twilight, now that's mostly died down and people are talking about ponies instead. Eventually, that will stop being the hot topic for love/hate discussion, and people will move on to something else. What's important to remember is that rationality is irrelevant. We, as social creatures, don't care what makes sense, we care what makes people like us. To the uninterested, third-party observer, this makes an interesting situation, in which at least one side in any argument (usually both) feels the need to be very aggressive about their point of view. In any discussion, this leads to a balance of annoyance, in which the arguments used by the sides involved end up relatively fixed with their relative capacity for annoyance. With Twilight, it was a 1:1 ratio - both sides were equally obnoxious. With other issues, though - the obvious one being MLP - one side tends to be much more aggressive (and therefore irritating) than the other.

I'm afraid I have to agree with this post. This whole 'infection' as the non-bronies have called it, will die off eventually, and ponies will slowly disappear from avatars and signatures, and BZP will be taken over by another meme. Sad but true(for Bronies, at least). Bronies normally follow the values and morals that come from Friendship is Magic, as far as I know, 'Love and Tolerance' being our way and rules for most things (like arguments, and regular social conversing). I know personally that this can't be said for all Bronies, as I know some around that aren't so loving and tolerable as others. As for me, I do tolerate most 'haters' and those who dislike the show, but if I do need to put my foot down and say "No." then I won't hesitate to do so, I still get angry, I still get irritated, but I've implied the Brony morals to my thinking and my views. -Skar

I think one of the reasons people react negatively to the proliferation of MLP (both on BZP and elsewhere) is that people who make use of it and its friendship-and-tolerance message can come off as somewhat holier-than-thou. People ask what's with the ponies, they're told to watch the show, they say they aren't particularly interested in it, and they're told, well, you really should watch it, but we won't judge you, even though you're really not giving it a chance, we're not judging you for that, honestly, it's so great you should really give it a shot, but we won't judge you for not doing so. I suppose what I mean to say is that while asking people to give a show a chance is totally reasonable and in fact an excellent point in this sort of situation, I have seen cases where bronies are particularly persistent in trying to "convert" others while still insisting they're fine as they are, and that sort of thing can rub people the wrong way - it comes off as kind of passive-aggressive. So people resist it more strongly, and in turn anti-bronyism (I cannot believe I actually just typed that word) becomes a meme and mindset unto itself. Most likely, both sides will die down with time as people become accustomed to it (and especially when this season ends, since it won't likely have the between-season growth it did before now that it's well-known). Serious fans will keep the ponies in their avatars/sigs; people who went along with it because it was the flavor of the month will move on; people who dislike it will get used to it.

Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

It's a group mentality, really. People like seeing similarity between themselves and others. In social media, this means that jokes get repeated ad nauseum, resulting in memes, and people who like or dislike things feel the need to be very vocal about them. For a while, the cool thing to make your stance known about was Twilight, now that's mostly died down and people are talking about ponies instead. Eventually, that will stop being the hot topic for love/hate discussion, and people will move on to something else.What's important to remember is that rationality is irrelevant. We, as social creatures, don't care what makes sense, we care what makes people like us. To the uninterested, third-party observer, this makes an interesting situation, in which at least one side in any argument (usually both) feels the need to be very aggressive about their point of view. In any discussion, this leads to a balance of annoyance, in which the arguments used by the sides involved end up relatively fixed with their relative capacity for annoyance. With Twilight, it was a 1:1 ratio - both sides were equally obnoxious. With other issues, though - the obvious one being MLP - one side tends to be much more aggressive (and therefore irritating) than the other.

Interesting observation, but I would have to disagree with this statement: "What's important to remember is that rationality is irrelevant.” For instance, rationality is relevant to all people at all times, but the level of rationality simply varies and are measured through their understanding, values, and interests. (This could refer to anything, such as like certain hobbies or simply liking something over another.) The values and/or interests of people and how much they are willing to defend it or justify it depend solely on how much they believe in it or like it. For example, hardcore fans of anything are more likely to cross the line of irrational actions to justify and defend their position or interest in something, even if that means attacking the opposition of their standing on the matter. However, someone who doesn’t care either way are usually the ones thinking more rationally and are better suited to make fair judgment between two oppositions. In contrast, someone who is narrow-minded only to their view or interest and feel they need to defend and justify themselves to people who don’t share their interests and views are less likely to act rationally, show tolerance, or compromise. It is human nature to defend or justify ourselves to others, but it is the rational people who see the inconsistencies between both oppositions in the terms of rationality and can reflect upon them is more likely to come to a just solution. You must understand that many of times people who have a common interest in something tend to form secular groups, such as a fan site or club. This site for example is mainly dedicated to Bionicle, not bronies, therefore it makes sense that an opposition exists in this site against bronies. My solution to maintaining peace in any scenario is to behave civilly and to act rationally: 1. Do not to respond in a negative fashion and don’t attack their character but it is alright to argue against the disagreement itself. 2. Always acknowledge the opposing view and even if you disagree simple explain “I respect your view, even though I disagree.” And simply state your own a point of reason in a way that does not force another to follow it or in consequence face personal attacks or extreme disapproval. 3. Be humble enough to admit or at least acknowledge some weakness in your own view and if you say or do anything that offends another; apologize or seek some form of compromise, again without insults. 4. Respect other people’s views and at the same time acknowledge the concerns of others and to seek compromise as much as possible to satisfy both your interest and others and then move on. 5. Remember, there is nothing to gain in trying to convince someone to your own view if they refuse to listen or respect you. Your time is better spent simply avoiding such conflict as much as possible. Even if you feel strongly about something, if someone strongly doesn’t care about your position, why bother arguing with that person in the first place. 6. If it seems necessary, it is best to avoid conflict by defusing it from the beginning by simply addressing the person of disagreement their “own” opinion (no matter how narrow-minded) and moving on without defending or attacking said opposition. This eliminates the desire to prove another wrong and stabilizes sides from attacking each other and usually creates respect for each other’s different views. By acting rationally, anger and disagreements could be resolved and more people with different interest and views become united and with that actual tolerance becomes into practice. For peace is created from rationality and comromise, while war is formed from irrational understandings of others and the inability to be open to civial discussion or debate. Edited by TrueshadowX01

Frankly, rationality really is irrelevant. The 1980s happened, and people were completely fine with it. We have the capacity for higher-level thought, but it is time-consuming, energy-consuming, and uncomfortable. Far easier is taking a popular idea and running with it, whether it's loving something, hating something, or pretending to be devoutly uninterested in something. This sort of group mentality can lead to disastrous things in some cases, and, in others, merely silly things (seriously, the 1980s. Look them up.). We do not, in fact, use a logical thought pattern to make every decision. Many things are based purely on familiarity, emotional response, and the few instinctive behaviors we have. And, as bad as irrationality sounds at face-value, it's completely fine. Sure, it gives us pervasive memes and people who don't know when to drop said memes, but take a moment and really think of where humanity would be if we were purely rational. It's not a pretty idea. Given the choice between memes and fanbases or civilization-by-numbers, I think I'll go with the goofy, grating, oddly lovable occasionally rabid fans.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I am fully aware of mans flaws, but the hight of human perfection is obtained when rationality and human flaws are at it's peek of perfect balance. The 1980's formed several social movements, many of which are the sources of main social issues we have today, (although I am unsure what you are referring to exactly). Irrational behaviour creates devision and often leads to hatred (depending on how strong beliefs are.) It is true that there are many factors invovled that set up irrational behviour, but what I argue what if more people behaved rationally; not completely rational, but to act against emotional reaction and critically think of a better way to handle disagreement or disaproval. What makes us human is not based on our level of perfection but the ability to overcoming our imperfections to the best of our ability. It matters not how small (like a fan war) or large (social problems) the issue or disagreement, it is how rationally we deal with said situation is what betters (or lessen if irrational) society and people. For the lack of rational choice and response is the result of our imperfection of not choosing to change for the better.By the way I find your view very interesting and I am enjoying this discussion. (Which is surpisingly not off topic)

Edited by TrueshadowX01

I think the fanbase for MLP lends itself to being pretty defensive and assertive about our enjoyment for the show just because of the typical reaction we get when one of us tells our friends we enjoy My Little Pony. :P I think for many of us we're so eager to try and convert people to the show just to be sure there's no, err...misunderstanding as it were. Of course, another strange aspect of this fanbase is how many of us (including myself) get sucked in so quickly despite having held some skepticism going in and emerging with a lot of surprise at how fanatical we've become over a bunch of magical talking ponies. So we're eager to see if our friends fall for it as quickly as we did. Then again, I'm not sure why MLP gets to be considered a "meme" or a "fad" here while other TV shows don't. There's plenty of Doctor Who or Pokemon or Transformers banners and avatars around, and it seems like that gets to be considered more legitimate somehow. Certainly there's a wave of enthusiasm for MLP right now that will die down at some point (so in that regard it's like a fad), but in the end there will still be a fair number of people with MLP banners/avatars around, it's not like it's going to all vanish in a couple of months. We're just expressing love for the show - if I were to call Doctor Who a "fad" I'd probably have to answer to a couple of angry Doctor Who fans here. :P

Edited by lavaside rahi

If you want to see what became of me... I became a brony fan fiction writer.