What do you want from Lego?

fishers64

That Lego isn't currently giving you? If the people from Lego were to sit down in front of you and say "Since we have a ridiculous amount of money and plenty of time on our hands, what can we do for you?" what would you say?

And if the first thing that comes to mind is "Bionicle return", then why do you want it back? What do you want out of it? A MMOG? Character X as a set? Or just for Greg to update the serials already? Just because?

But if not, and even if so, what do you want in general?

I really wish Lego would make an advanced Constraction figures line. Something using more small pieces, more functions, and less of a build you could throw together just by memory. I am so sick of basic HF and Inika builds. I had an idea I wanted to enter in that Lego theme contest a while back, but I'm not 18, sadly.Also, Steampunk. I would love a more Steampunk theme than the decent Monster Fighters with gear-driven functions, brass (please, lots of brass!), and an engaging storyline. If you've seen some of the Steampunk Lego creations all over the Internet, you would know what I mean.And storyline in general. Bionicle's was so elaborate and expandable, but even the better storylines of Chima and Ninjago are lackluster compared to it. I want another theme I can obsess over, expand, and buy the sets for not only parts and looks.Small spaceship sets would be cool too. Many of the Space theme sets are either like $50, or just have a dull land rover thing. A small, detailed ship line with the same dedication applied to small sets as large, and a cool variety of aliens with different cultures, styles, and relations with the main characters would be nice.Doctor Who would be cool, BTW. I recently started watching, and I'm hooked. The awesome things Lego could do with it!Another licensed theme that would be awesome would be Portal. I love that game, and some of the CUUSOO projects look awesome.

Edited by Click

Definitely a more advanced/complex constraction figure line. It's known that LEGO wants to run multiple figure lines and the 1 wave 'ultra builds' just aren't cutting it. Hero Factory is playing it's roll well but a more vehicle based line is what I'm hoping for next. And Bionicle of course (when the time is right). And bring back tiny turbos.A Doctor Who line goes without saying :D

All Bionicle pieces in LEGO Digital Designer. :P

But it would be very hard not to say "More Bionicle!" :P

Thing is, I still feel like it had a great span of time and a story that was wonderful from start to finish with a plot that finished nicely and I would NOT want it back "just because". ONLY if they had another story to tell that would be as compelling. And honestly, how do you pull this sort of thing off twice, yanno? We weren't expecting the BIG (4 million feet tall big) twist near the end, and if we go into another round expecting something that shocking again, even if they pull it off, it won't feel quite as wonderful because we'll be looking for it. I dunno. And then what if the fans don't accept that big twist the way we did the first?

The only real problem with the end IMO is that they had set people up to expect it to continue for a while more, mainly with TLR's "cliffhanger". But plotwise, there really was no reason to drag it out too long after the really big reveal. So I never got why so many seemed to be so upset about that. The moment it was announced, my reaction was, "okay, that makes sense."

What I probably would ask for though is that they seriously take the time to develop something else that might approach the same genre of storytelling as Bionicle -- adventure mystery, which I don't really feel that anything else of their stories has really been. They're adventure, and there are normal unanswered questions but that really gripping grand mystery isn't there anymore. I don't really care if they do this as a Bionicle return (though this would make sales sense given enough time, from the "parents buying for their kids" factor) or something brand new, I just want story like that associated with LEGO again if it's possible. :)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I'd love to see story-driven, exploratory online games like the Mata Nui Online Game again, personally. They might not work well for all themes (after all, the delicate balance of mystery and discovery was central to BIONICLE's appeal from beginning to end), but overall there was a certain charm to the Mata Nui Online Game's intense hands-on world building that has never really been matched by subsequent games, even within the BIONICLE theme.

I'd love to see story-driven, exploratory online games like the Mata Nui Online Game again, personally. They might not work well for all themes (after all, the delicate balance of mystery and discovery was central to BIONICLE's appeal from beginning to end), but overall there was a certain charm to the Mata Nui Online Game's intense hands-on world building that has never really been matched by subsequent games, even within the BIONICLE theme.

MNOG was pretty much a Bionicle Myst as I see it, so I actually think a LEGO Myst game could be pretty cool.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Teal. It's easy to say "bring BIONICLE back," but the way I see it, if it by some miracle does return in some form, it will not return to the style of sets that made it popular. If it came back at all we'd see a dumbed-down story with HF-style sets - and isn't that basically HF anyway?

Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, yes i would like bionicle back, just a few things, like the matoran, i.e all those we saw in the flash animations we never got, and for the story to continue.

Another thing the lego digtial deisgner. I like the idea i could make my own legos again with out haveing to dig in box after box trying to find one little part. Also i found it to be a great way to buy legos.

Edited by gunconvoy

485585_528817960493060_1878734144_n.jpg

I'd like the old racers game, drome challenge was it? It was from the huriccane/scorcher/... year. You had a car and you bought equipment and set strategies for it, then the race played as a video. It wasn't much but it was ridiculously addictive :) Unfortunately also ridiculously bugged.

As for sets, I'd love if they revived Alpha team. those sets were awesome, practically every vehicle was 2 in 1 as it could switch mode.

=== COFFEE GUZZLER ===

BZPRPG profiles
-Chronicles of Tara-
Ascension

I would want them to bring Bionicle back, obviously. Though when I say that I don't so much mean sets as much as story. I would like the story to continue, Teridax to come back (Yes, I know he was confirmed dead by GregF), etc. Though having sets again would be nice.

I would also like several Myst or MNOG 1-style MNOGs (first person, eerie, etc.) I really enjoy MNOG 1.

If they WEREN'T to bring back sets, at least release new masks and pieces for MOCing, so that we can put on a Kanohi (something) and people don't say "Hey, that's (someone)'s mask!" That would be really nice.

If they WERE to bring back sets, I would like them to be real sets. Not Stars-style sets with 11 pieces, I want Toa Metru-style sets with 40 pieces. Something that I can't build in less than 5 minutes would be nice.

Now aside from Bionicle, I would really like LEGO Indiana Jones to come back. I really loved that theme. Also that they would make LEGO shirts in sizes other than children's. Please. :begging:

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I'd like a line like Bionicle and Hero Factory, but aimed towards both girls and boys, with emphasis on the former. It wouldn't demean them or have the girls talk about accessories and looking pretty, but there would be equal gender ratios and this may be me just being way to overbearing in my views, but maybe a few non-straight, cis, or neurotypical characters. We had Zane in Ninjago displaying a lot of characteristics associated with autism, but they felt the need to explain it all away. I don't know, sorry.

That, or Bionicle being brought back because we're still here after all this time, and will probably continue to be so.

Tahu.png

i wanna be the very best

like no one ever was

to catch them is my real test

to train them is my cause

I'd like a line like Bionicle and Hero Factory, but aimed towards both girls and boys, with emphasis on the former. It wouldn't demean them or have the girls talk about accessories and looking pretty, but there would be equal gender ratios and this may be me just being way to overbearing in my views, but maybe a few non-straight, cis, or neurotypical characters. We had Zane in Ninjago displaying a lot of characteristics associated with autism, but they felt the need to explain it all away. I don't know, sorry. That, or Bionicle being brought back because we're still here after all this time, and will probably continue to be so.

They didn't feel the need to explain away Zane's traits: the reason for his quirky traits was the reason they gave him those quirky traits in the first place, and his search for his origins has been a key component of his characterization from the very beginning. It would have been a major disappointment if they never tried to answer that question, and it doesn't make him any less relatable for me as a person with autism — he's been my favorite character from the beginning and "Tick Tock" made me love him even more, because it shows that even if you're born different (in a manner of speaking), you can be just as valuable to society as your peers.More non-neurotypical characters would be nice, but I don't feel they have to have any particular real-world disabilities. From a storytelling perspective I think it's just more important that like Zane, they have different ways of thinking and experiencing the world, they are no less loved for their differences, and their differences are portrayed as more than just a hindrance.A constraction line for both boys and girls would be cool. Part of the issue is that at the age range most LEGO sets are targeted at, many girls and boys don't especially want to play with the same toys — boys will worry about seeming girly to their peers if they enjoy the same thing girls like, and vice-versa. But we are currently in the process of a cultural shift that will eventually make this kind of thing much more viable, or at least that's what I hope. A friend of my uncle has a four-year-old son who loves My Little Pony and enjoys playing and acting out stories with the characters, which shows it's not just adults who are learning to think outside traditional gender norms. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Honestly, I don't want Bionicle back. I think it had a good run, and while it went downhill at the end, I think it was ended before it could really jump the shark. What I do want is another story in the same vein as Bionicle--not heroes fighting villains with cool powers, but a deep, complex story that makes the reader think, at least to some extent. Mysteries to be uncovered, characters to be hated or sympathized with. That's what I want in LEGO.

:w:

Honestly, I don't want Bionicle back. I think it had a good run, and while it went downhill at the end, I think it was ended before it could really jump the shark. What I do want is another story in the same vein as Bionicle--not heroes fighting villains with cool powers, but a deep, complex story that makes the reader think, at least to some extent. Mysteries to be uncovered, characters to be hated or sympathized with. That's what I want in LEGO.

Yeah, that would be nice.

Very nice, now that I think about it.

Though I'm not sure how they could do it (with actual LEGO pieces). I...don't know. Maybe if Greg Farshtey just wrote a story and was somehow affiliated with LEGO...

But that would be very cool. A story that you could really sink your feet into.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Honestly, I don't want Bionicle back. I think it had a good run, and while it went downhill at the end, I think it was ended before it could really jump the shark. What I do want is another story in the same vein as Bionicle--not heroes fighting villains with cool powers, but a deep, complex story that makes the reader think, at least to some extent. Mysteries to be uncovered, characters to be hated or sympathized with. That's what I want in LEGO. :w:

Ninjago has shades of this, and has had them since as early as 2011 (when the mystery of Zane's origins was first explored). Naturally it also has sillier elements, such as any scene involving Nuckal, but this hardly detracted from the relatability of the characters or the depth of its mythology. As with BIONICLE, you get a lot more out of it by following a variety of story media rather than just the show, or just the books, or what-have-you (for instance, one of the graphic novels provides information on the origins of the Great Devourer, the chapter books provide information on how the Ninja enlisted the aid of their dragons, and the show follows Lloyd Garmadon's story in great detail).

You can kind of sympathize with the characters from BIONICLE. For instance, I always thought Nidhiki was a mutant Fikou-like-thing until I read his history on BS01. Then I was like "Wow, I really feel sorry for that guy." It just depends on your perspective on the subject.

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

Honestly, I don't want Bionicle back. I think it had a good run, and while it went downhill at the end, I think it was ended before it could really jump the shark. What I do want is another story in the same vein as Bionicle--not heroes fighting villains with cool powers, but a deep, complex story that makes the reader think, at least to some extent. Mysteries to be uncovered, characters to be hated or sympathized with. That's what I want in LEGO. :w:

You can kind of sympathize with the characters from BIONICLE. For instance, I always thought Nidhiki was a mutant Fikou-like-thing until I read his history on BS01. Then I was like "Wow, I really feel sorry for that guy." It just depends on your perspective on the subject.

I think that was his point — he didn't necessarily want BIONICLE back as much as he wanted something like BIONICLE in its ability to make you feel for the characters.

Plastic that doesn't wear out or break after a limited amount of use!(like the good'ol days!)

What sets have you seen lately that have that problem? I haven't had a new piece break since the ball cups got redesigned in 2011. I've heard some people have had problems with cheese slopes cracking just from being attached to models, but that's a mold issue, not a plastic issue.