BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

No. The ruling was made a very long time ago that it doesn't matter if the mask is powerless, it cannot have the shape of a mask that is not allowed.

I'm gonna dispute this. I, for example, had Echelon's Tryna shaped like a Shelek for the longest time, and I can think of other examples. Can you get us a link to said ruling, Alex? c:

Don't look at me, I'm enforcing what was told to me by Tuck circa 2012 when I made the same disagreement.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

I was under the impression that that "rule" was no longer enforced and, as such, not a thing anymore. I also remember it being a matter of contention when I was staff and a brief internal discussion was held before we opted to just not care about it anymore. It's one of those things that makes little sense and takes more effort to maintain than just let be.

• Upvote 2

Well I think I am going to start RPing with my Ga-Matoran and if it surfaces that I can return her mask to the Nuva version.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

So does that include listing the mask as if it had a custom shape, but then using a mask that is currently on the banned list to represent it for, say, MOCing purposes?

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

No, that rule definitely isn't being enforced. I know of characters walking around with masks in the shape of ones that aren't on the approved list. 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Teaser

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

So, it's official; as long as it's actually a regular Kaukau, it can look like a Kaukau Nuva?

Good. Done. Now, what's next? Assuming ideal spherical Huberts, recycling flyers (Lumira...) or what?

Oh, right. Could I make a sort of Ori Prior character that's the leader of a newly-discovered undiscovered cult-religion-brotherhood thing?

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

What's the point of giving your character a mask that looks like one not on the list? No one's going to recognize it, because most illegal masks aren't common knowledge. A Hau that looks like a Shelek would receive the same IC reaction as a Hau that looks like a krana: "Hey, what's that weird thing on your face?" The only thing it's good for is making your character look ~*~cool~*~, which is kind of a moot point because almost no one references masks IC: we just talk faces.

tl;dr what your mask looks like makes absolutely zero difference in-game and in anyone's head but yours, so don't stress.

(unless your mask has a different shape to confuse your enemies, in which case I want to know where you got your mask, because then all my characters will visit that mask-maker and do the same thing. In fact, if said mask-maker does exist, then every warrior on the island should have done that by now)

Okay. My earlier question about my little Prior-esque religious cult leader with a voice like honey and intentions like barbed spikes still stands.

Here's a good rule of thumb: if it's a question that only pertains to you and not the game at large, you should PM your question to a staff member (I recommend Ghoster). :)

Ori Priors had powers that fall pretty clearly under the element of Psionics.

Unless you just meant a slightly generic cult leader?

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Well may I get on that PM list for a definitive answer when one is decided? Mind you they are not available yet and while a Matoran can't use mask powers and as long as I keep her as such powers wont matter, the idea of sharing the water breathing aspect of the Nuva is appealing should an event happen that turns her into a Toa. Right now I just wanted the look. No rush on the release of actual Nuva powers on my account. I didn't mean to start up a big debait, just wanted a cool looking water mask for my Ga-Matoran...

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Well I was just saying incase they didn't post it here. Though due to my simple "action" some debate about masks as burst forth causing Staff to go into conference about it. They may just post a final ruling on the subject...

Onua.png

Any ruling will be posted here, but regardless of that ruling Nuva powers will not be allowed. We are discussing only the shape that a mask may take. Even if that mask is in such a shape, its power must be one from the approved list.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

I... actually completely forgot about Psionics. Yeah, I mean a generic cult leader, but if I made him Dasaka, yeah... that could work.

Though, that brings the problem of the 40:1 f-m ratio. I really, really, really don't want to have to deal with that (Priors tend to be male, I like RPing male characters, I don't really use all that many female characters [at least in the official RP] etc.)

How could I squeeze as much psionic power out of a Toa without making him of the element of Psionics?

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

PSh, girls are easy to RP.

They aren't that different, really.

Like at all.

Plus, gender binary's bull anyway.

This man speaks truth

How could I squeeze as much psionic power out of a Toa without making him of the element of Psionics?

You can't?

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

It's because I want to RP less female characters. I used to RP females all the time, so I'm trying not to do that as much. Then we've got the Dasaka who are the only psychics in the game and I have a 40 in 41 chance that I'm going to end up with a female character.

To quote my former 5-year-old neighbor, "wit's fluswaiting."

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Agreed on the no-issue-with-female-characters/binary-shminary stuff, but to be fair to Ben, a "cult leader who gets their persuasive abilities in part from innate Psionic power" is going to be much more effective on Mata Nui than Kentoku, if only because on Kentoku everyone (save the Dashi) have some psionic powers of their own.  Quite a few people would respond to any kind of "golden voice" with "...are you trying to Willhammer me?"

...That said, if you're only coming at this from the perspective of "I don't want this character to be female", 'fraid I can't help you.

Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Don't hate me for this...

Any ruling will be posted here, but regardless of that ruling Nuva powers will not be allowed. We are discussing only the shape that a mask may take. Even if that mask is in such a shape, its power must be one from the approved list.

CHARACTER RULES

Here is where you post the profile(s) for your BZPRPG character(s) (you must post a character's profile before you begin playing). Staff is not required to give approval for characters: you may post and play immediately. However, we can at any time ask you to modify characters if we think that they are too powerful or otherwise against the rules. There is no set pattern when creating character profiles, but if you need inspiration for what to put down, look at the outlines from others’ posts.

SECTION III. The Lists
Below you will find the lists of species, powers, and masks allowed in the BZPRPG. These lists have been carefully thought out; if a certain species or item is not on these lists, it has been omitted for a reason. All characters, unless given explicit staff permission to the contrary, are required to exist within the parameters of these lists.

Playable Species:
CUSTOMIZATION EXCEPTION:
Personalized/customized species are allowed – however – they MUST resemble or be similar to one of the above species, including abilities, powers, and power levels, AND must be approved by a staffer before use.

Allowable Toa/Turaga/Skakdi Elemental Powers
One elemental power per character. No multiples.
CUSTOMIZATION EXCEPTION:
Customized powers are allowed – however – they MUST be reasonably powerful, balanced, AND be approved by Staff before use. If your character is evil, she/he may be able to gain special powers from a dose of Antidermis bartered from the Vault Loot.

Allowable Kanohi:
CUSTOMIZATION EXCEPTION:
Customized masks are allowed – however – they MUST be reasonably powerful, balanced, AND be approved by Staff before use. Your character may also gain certain masks not on the above list by bartering one from the Vault Loot.

Only one mask is allowed per character. No multiples, no Suvas. Period. Even if staff decides to give a certain character a more powerful mask as a reward or gift in response to some event or contest, that character must abandon their previous mask to use the new one. Should you decide you want to change masks, such a practice is permissible. However, the transition must happen feasibly In Character, and be immediately edited into your character's profile to avoid an illegal duplicity of masks.

In each of the sections it says under "customization Exception" That customizing is allowed but must be "Similar" To what is on the list while also being approved by Staff before use. It does not say they have to be identical. So being that I am new and have not panned the full RP or all its pages why not Nuva powers? I mean the only bonus they give over their original mask is that they can share their power(don't know if physical touch is require, if so than an even weaker bonus). So unless in a team it would be no better than the normal one. So why the hate on Nuva Masks? They don't really break any rules do they?

Also since I quoted it, what exactly is a Suva and why is it a cold hard rule that it wont ever happen? I do understand the multiple mask rule as it would allow for multiple elemental powers.

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf

Onua.png

It's less "I don't want this character to be female" than "I don't want this character to be of the female-dominated Dasaka culture because of the design I already have in mind kinda works better with a male character though I suppose I could redesign the character as a female."

Though, couldn't I come up with a cult leader who was originally Kentokan then have him leave the islands before he comes into play and have him arrive in a city as the game begins.

That brings up another question, how effective would psychic powers be at influencing people. On a scale from "TRUKK NOT MUNKY!" "Huh?" to Komau? 

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Nuva powers won't happen cause the First toa are dead, and cause staff decision.

Suvas are the things the First Toa kept their masks on, allowing them to use any of them at any time. Not allowed because of one mask rule.

It's less "I don't want this character to be female" than "I don't want this character to be of the female-dominated Dasaka culture because of the design I already have in mind kinda works better with a male character though I suppose I could redesign the character as a female."

Didn't we have this argument like.... a couple weeks back already?
Edited by The UltimoScorp

Nuva masks are for the Nuva, and the Nuva aren't in the RPG since the Mata are all dead (I think).

Suvas make people too OP, so they're out too.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Nuva masks aren't permitted, at the very basis for the reason, because we the staff have ruled thus. Ultimately what is allowed (and what is not) is our discretion. Nuva masks, specifically, are not allowed because their reason for existence does not exist here, and the ability to share powers can change power balances that we intentionally maintain. It is exceptionally rare that we permit the use of a canon Kanohi or power that is not already on the list, because they're not on the lists for a reason.

Suvas were something utilized by the Toa Mata, and only by the Toa Mata. They permitted them to switch from one mask to another in an instant, which obviously bypasses the "one Kanohi only" rule as well as the headache of everyone and their mother having their own shrine to hold their masks.

Long story short, what is and isn't allowed is up to us, and our decisions are made for a reason. And they're not easily overturned.

EDIT: Forgot to address something else.

Icarus, there is no way to attain Psionic abilities when you are not a Dasaka short of attempting a request for a Psionic Kanohi. And as there are no Psionic Kanohi that have the effect you want, you'd have to attempt a custom one.

Edited by Ninth Krayzikk

fK5oqYf.jpg

I see. Excuse me for a moment...

DARN DARN DARNY DARN!

Okay, I'm back. 

Well, that sucks. Don't worry, I HAVE A PLAN!

What is the plan? Well... I have a plan to... make a plan. I've cleared my entire evening for... planning.

Actually, I've built a Dasaka Prior moc here:

w4AmMOk.png

Like it?

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Nuva masks aren't permitted, at the very basis for the reason, because we the staff have ruled thus. Ultimately what is allowed (and what is not) is our discretion. Nuva masks, specifically, are not allowed because their reason for existence does not exist here, and the ability to share powers can change power balances that we intentionally maintain. It is exceptionally rare that we permit the use of a canon Kanohi or power that is not already on the list, because they're not on the lists for a reason.

Long story short, what is and isn't allowed is up to us, and our decisions are made for a reason. And they're not easily overturned.

I like this answer, not so much for the reason that you put off an Aura of "It's our way or get the ___ out! You don't like it, there's the door. Goodbye" but because you place an authority response with the added respect of here is why we believe it is removed. Not just "Because we said so." Thus providing an err of allowing one to understand the staff's reasoning behind such a choice.

So the not wanting a power imbalance is a strong and viable reason not to allow them. Though the "Reason is not here" doesn't fit a custom story RP. We could make a reason if one was really all that desired. At the end of your response you don't outright shut down the idea or any others Konohi powers. you leave open that while difficult to a high degree, it is not impossible to change the mind of the Staff. So while game mechanic wise the Suvas won't exist because it would be like wearing or being allowed to wear more than one headpiece at a time. The same I guess for the Nuva masks with their power-sharing. Again saying that while not out of the realm of possibility, right now it is a no. This could change in the future.

Thank you for answering my question and while your answer in no way affects any of my characters at this time. It is good to know for the future. :)

Onua.png

I worked it out, and I have a 1:1 gender split for my characters. Granted, Denrika hasn't been played in a while, and I haven't even finished Raiyo (don't know what Dasaka clan to put her in, and it matters very much). I will grant that I have more 'civilian' female characters, but I think that Kalyss and Fyura make up for that by being awesome.

The times, they are a-changing...

right now I have more male to female characters in the works, though my only active(1 post so far) character is a Ga-wahi Matoran. So female...

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf

Onua.png