BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

I think doing away with gender "locked" roles makes more sense than ignoring any biological differences. (Though, that whole discussion is really about average humans. Humans =/= bonkles, outliers exist, etc etc)

For example, mix up what are preconceived as female or male roles and traits, just choose from a big grab bag, not two neatly sorted grab boxes. At least, that's what I attempt to do. Toa with a batman complex, loves lifting weights, domineering sexual sadist. Those might sound like male PCs, but you'd be wrong! Or have a merc that debuted attacking a hospital, is the bone of his sword, big dude, etc. Maybe he knows how to cook and clean and really enjoys those things, alongside long thought filled walks? Point is that I didn't have much of a point here. Just don't assume things.

/ramble

...but close to it

I want to show this off before I send it to Nuju. I'm petitioning for 3 (1 regular + 2 additional) disciplines and a power to absorb small amounts of energy from the worshippers of the gods she worships herself (enter gratuitous Latin names, though I could swap these out for Portugeuse, Chinese, French, Swahili or Esperanto and it wouldn't really make a difference other than Latin sounds cool.) Tell me how I can make Dainobi less OP without making her lose any powers.

Name: Pontus Maxima Dainobi

Species: Dasaka

A detailed description or image:

w4AmMOk.png

Caste and Clan: former Fursic Menti, would give the title of Pontus Maxima as her title, but currently not part of a caste or a clan.

Powers: The Mask of Healing, the disciplines of Sighteye, Mindarm and Willhammer, the ability to channel small amounts of energy from those who worship the Domini (see Petitioning to Nuju)

Items: Mask of Healing, the religious text of the Cult of the Domini, a staff that glows when she uses her power (though really does nothing else)

Weakness: Arrogant, may be slightly crazy, overuse of her powers can result in a feeling of being drained, desperate need to be in control, lack of physical prowess.

Alignment: Lawful Evil

History: Originally an Fursic Menti, Dainobi soon became jealous of the power the Imperial government held. She never acted on this during her time on Kentoku, but this resentment would soon lead to her leaving the clan and leading a life of seclusion, training in the Menti disciplines to become one of the most skilled Menti in Kentoku. During her training, she happened across a book dedicated to three almightly gods named the Domini. Each Dominus represented a part of the self, the passion of the heart, the wisdom of the mind and the will of the soul. At first, she regarded the book as a curiosity, but as she continued her training, she began realizing the power of the gods and the power she could gain. Pretty soon, she began to worship these gods in an attempt to gain power and, in the process, learned how to absorb power from the people who worshipped these gods alongside her. Eventually, she learned of an island far, far away, full of those who would be willing to bow down to new gods. Seeking passage on a small boat, she headed to the island of Mata Nui in hopes she could bend the will of the people on this island to her own.

Personality and traits: Dainobi is thoughtful, always planning ten steps ahead. She is unusually calm in most scenarios, only raising her voice either for indimidation or because her plan is completely falling apart. She can be arrogant and there are suspicions that she might be crazy (which she is) but she can easily stay unnoticed until she wants to be seen. She holds a resentment to many authority figures back on Kentoku because she felt oppressed, but has mainly forgotten about them in order to place importance on her religion.

Petitioning To Nuju:  Dainobi has her extra Menti disciplines because of her years of training and seclusion, as well as a complete apathy to anything else for a good chunk of time. She has dedicated most of her life to learning these Menti disciplines in exchange for losing any physical prowess she may have had previously. Her power to absorb energy from her followers is both a. character motivation and b. a result of several more years pondering the religious texts of the Domini as well as training her psionic powers. 

The coolest combo I could think of is absorbing the powers of her followers to use Sighteye to make her enemies see horrible monstrosities as a distraction, Mindarm to send objects flying towards (though not hitting) her enemies, and Willhammer to convince her enemies that this is the wrath of the Domini and that if they repent, it will all stop. When they finally do bow to the Domini, Dainobi can steal their power and use it to fuel her abilities in the future.

Edited by IcarusBen
  • Upvote 1

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

Are there any PCs in this game with three disciplines? 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Tell me how I can make Dainobi less OP without making her lose any powers.

Lose most of the powers, this is never going to get through as it is.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Are there any PCs in this game with three disciplines? 

There are not. Three Disciplines means attaining the rank of Battlemaster, of which there are only three named. All of which are Staff or otherwise prominent NPCs.

Simply put, Icarus... The odds of that getting through are exceedingly low.

Edited by Ninth Krayzikk

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Well... crud.

Well, I want to make a cult leader, which discipline (not the leech ability) should I cut?

Of course, the thing I was thinking was that Nuju said that petitions are easier to send out with one additional discipline, yet two additional disciplines are impossible? Why not edit that into "you may request one additional discipline" so that things like this don't happen.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Well, firstly, you sent a petition with four powers. One of which is completely custom and not rooted in any ability heretofore seen in the Dasaka. A petition with three disciplines is possible, but not only would it be incredibly difficult to get approved not many people have tried.

Getting one approved with three disciplines, a custom power, and a mask power is something that would be just about impossible to get through. Getting the custom power approved in and of itself will be difficult, given what it does.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

I need Ga-wahi interactions for my amnesiac. Anyone near a beach I could possibly stumble on that would not mind interacting with me - uh, her?

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Sorry Ben, I don't like your chances of getting that character approved. 

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

You'd need to look at the perspective of the power. One person affected by this generates the power of a lemon (well, a psychic lemon). You'd need a lot of followers for it to make any difference. That's the point. The thing's pretty useless with just a handful of followers.

Now, if she had an entire Koro...

Still, I need to cut a discipline. I'm thinking Mindarm.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

I think you'd need to cut all your disciplines if you want a snowball's chance in karz of getting that custom power. Even without that custom power, your chances of getting multiple disciplines approved are also pretty low. 

Well I just found this wondering across the net and thought of setting it free on Mata nui

lego_xenomorph_rex_by_retinence-d59udlt.

So who wants to help bring it down?

• Upvote 1

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Believe it or not, I found that by Bing searching Nui jaga..

Onua.png

Oh, lawd, we ain't putting facehuggers in the game, are we?

We already have those, more or less. Don't you recall the mind-controlling starfish plant parasites from the Mangaia quest? 

Absolutely not, I'm not doing a pregnancy again. 

Trust me, pushing is not going to help here. Though, one must wonder, how does one do a pregnancy plot without making the characters a). get busy and b). describe how the baby comes out? With visual media, you can imply birth, but with text-based? It could get pretty graphic.

Unless, of course, "making babies" involves going down to the local Lego store and picking up a baby constraction set.

Oh, lawd, we ain't putting facehuggers in the game, are we?

We already have those, more or less. Don't you recall the mind-controlling starfish plant parasites from the Mangaia quest? 

I will never see Patrick the same way again.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

OH!! Was there a Kana style story arch regarding starfish? sorry I missed that... lol.

Onua.png

Trust me, pushing is not going to help here. Though, one must wonder, how does one do a pregnancy plot without making the characters a). get busy and b). describe how the baby comes out? With visual media, you can imply birth, but with text-based?

It could get pretty graphic.

Only if you decide to overthink it, as you just have. 

• Upvote 1

Here is how familial ties will work in this RPG, and in any others: "Character X and character Y had a child together, and nobody thought very much about the details."  If anyone actually attempts to depict the nitty-gritty of the Bionicle birds and the Bionicle bees, be that by academic explanation or horrifying demonstration, I am going to come through with a lawnmower on some posts.

Now, let's talk about almost anything else.

• Upvote 11

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Well I just found this wondering across the net and thought of setting it free on Mata nui

This would require staff permission. :P

As for Icarus' priest idea...I don't even know where to start. To save myself one heck of a headache, I'm not going to critique it until such a time as it is actually petitioned, though I'll say this much: sorry, Icarus, there is no way that profile could be approved in its current form.

• Upvote 1

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

I suppose you could attempt a hospitalised time-skip for the actual delivery part, but then you'd have an actual child to deal with IC, and that would kind of be a pain.

So yeah; changing the topic would be nice.

Edited by Timageness

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

This would require staff permission. :P

As for Icarus' priest idea...I don't even know where to start. To save myself one heck of a headache, I'm not going to critique it until such a time as it is actually petitioned, though I'll say this much: sorry, Icarus, there is no way that profile could be approved in its current form.

That's the point of why I posted it here. I need to find some way to make my character have two disciplines and a power, but she needs to be just balanced enough that she'll pass. 

For those saying the custom power is OP, and that if I want to get it approved I should cut the disciplines, that's the things, they go hand-in-hand.

On one hand, the power is a very small-scale passive one. To use an electricity metaphor, imagine the average Toa/Dasaka as having the power generation qualities of, say... a home solar power system + a backup generator. The power generated from one Toa/Dasaka under the influence of the Domini would be the equivalent of, say... a potato battery.

psychic potato battery.

It's not like I'm stealing their abilities, no, it's taking small amounts of power to fuel psychic abilities. That's why the thing's useless a). without a lot of people worshipping the Domini but also b). if there's nothing to use this energy on. Not only that, but considering what she's offering, without the powers of Sighteye and Willhammer, she's not going to get to use the leech power.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

I don't think you really understand exactly what you're asking for here. Dual Disciplines, in and of itself, is a potent trait to be petitioned for. Mindarm and Sighteye is one of the most potent combinations you can make to begin with, something you clearly understand within the combo attack description in your petition. Nevertheless, it is far from an impossible petition to make. A good number of people have managed to get Dual Disciplines or Dual Soulswords.

Adding a custom power, on top of a mask power, on top of two disciplines, is another matter entirely. As described above, one has a potent combination just by having access to both Mindarm and Sighteye. That custom power, however, has the potential to neutralize the drawback to Mindarm leaving only the flaws of Sighteye. If one follower produces a quantifiable amount of energy, then what happens with half a dozen? A dozen? More? Not to mention the implications that she is traveling to Mata Nui, something only the Dasakan Expedition has done thus far.

Her power has no basis in an existing Dasakan ability, and could very, very easily be abused. All it takes is one line mentioning "gathering a few followers", and she has a battery to power Mindarm abilities. On top of Sighteye powers that she tries to use to convince people of her gods.

Simply put, I do not foresee this petition making its way through with to disciplines. If that custom power makes it through at all.

fK5oqYf.jpg

Her power has no basis in an existing Dasakan ability, and could very, very easily be abused. All it takes is one line mentioning "gathering a few followers", and she has a battery to power Mindarm abilities. On top of Sighteye powers that she tries to use to convince people of her gods.

Okay, once again, you need to put it into perspective. 

• 1 follower = Squat. I mean diddly squat. She wishes she had squat.
  • 10 followers = The equivalent of a Ta-Toa lighting a fire the size of a mosquito.
  • 100 followers = Eh, we're getting somewhere.
  • 1000 followers = Here's an actual, substantial difference.
  • 10000 followers = I HAVE THE POWER!
  • 100000 followers = Echelon, quiver in your boots. Well, first, wear boots.

And, because I know that's the only way I'm ever going to get it approved, all followers must be gained IC through reasonable means, including getting players to convert IC and convincing Akiri to adopt the religion via the combined powers of Sighteye and Willhammer (I'm cutting out Mindarm, I really don't need it) but absolutely, never, ever, EVER through creating a group of NPCs and converting them without staff approval. 

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

There are nine hundred or so people in each koro, so about 5400 all total.

So according to the list you have there, she would have to take over the entire island before getting anything close to Toa levels of power.

Why are you going through all the trouble to get this approved again?

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Eh, I'd say that conquering the entire island would give a Toa plus maybe, maybe a Turaga.

That makes two and a half Toa-levels of power, which still makes her more powerful than most Toa. Of course, she'll gain a lot more strength from, say, a Toa like Echelon than a Toa like... oh, I dunno... Tallix?

Wait, Tallix is dead. She ain't getting any power from him.

The reason I'm going through all this trouble is because it provides a nice little bonus to the character's arsenal without going into full on "ermehgerd shur can eurnd the wurd." territory.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Echelon is more powerful elementally from a normal Toa, but not that much. So having your upper limit of a hundred thousand follows being at the same level as him makes the power so painfully nerfed that you might as well not use it.

The reason I'm going through all this trouble is because it provides a nice little bonus to the character's arsenal without going into full on "ermehgerd shur can eurnd the wurd." territory.

"A nice little bonus" is a really bad reason to get a power like that.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1