Bad Guy "Virus"?

Since the GSR was a robot, and the internal workings (Matoran, islands, etc.) kept it running, and were and have been considered computer programs, would this make Makuta (and Dark Hunters, malicious people, etc.) viruses? And couldn't Mata Nui just "force quit" them?

Well, come to think of it, Makuta may be above it all as they were on the same level as Mata Nui.

But that would still be the same for Dark Hunters and malicious people.

Thoughts?

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I don't think the analogy to a virus works very well. Viruses are contracted from outside sources, like malicious emails or websites, and besides that one cannot force quit a virus as it is not a part of the computer in that way. I see villains as more of a cancer, but that's not a computer analogy.And what do you mean by "Makuta may be above it all as they were on the same level as Mata Nui"?

idk man

They aren't literally computer programs; it's just a metaphor. Usually they're metaphorically called nanotech, actually, not programs. I don't recall hearing that one much if at all, and if so just by fans.

So within that metaphor, yes, they are something like computer viruses, but more like "germs" or malfunctioning nanotech.

And that is just how the Great Beings might think of them before understanding that they are fully sapient. You can't really sum up a being that has freewill as a virus or germ.

Duplex raises a good point too -- so in that sense they're more like cancer cells in that they're part of the "body" already and went wrong.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I don't think the analogy to a virus works very well. Viruses are contracted from outside sources, like malicious emails or websites, and besides that one cannot force quit a virus as it is not a part of the computer in that way. I see villains as more of a cancer, but that's not a computer analogy.And what do you mean by "Makuta may be above it all as they were on the same level as Mata Nui"?

Well, because Makuta was Mata Nui's "brother".And there are ways to kill a virus while a computer is running, such as quarrantining it.And Makuta kinda came in from an outside source. At least that was the way I understood it.But I suppose I got the computer analogy a little convolluted. Edited by Kopekemaster
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Makuta is Mata Nui's brother only metaphorically. Mata Nui actually created Makuta himself to be part of a species. Although I and many others dislike this plot twist, that's how it happened in the canon. :P Makuta was referred to as Mata Nui's brother because he used to serve Mata Nui until he betrayed him.

Also, we must remember two things.

1. The Shadowed One, Makuta and all beings considered evil or "viruses" started out as more or less good, or at least harmless. They were created for a purpose.

2. When they did become evil against expectations, Mata Nui wasn't there to "eject" them because he was not paying attention to the universe inside him. He was too interested solely in the outside world and exploring different galaxies and planets, so he ignored his insides. That's why evil could grow in the first place and Makuta got the chance to strike.

The vision that Karzahni induced in Teridax via his mask power wasn't described in detail, but it was one potential future where Mata Nui awoke and then smote Makuta with his super-powers. The spirit in control of the MU holds the ability to essentially exterminate anyone they want at any time by manipulating the robot body's systems.I don't see being a bad guy as being a virus or a cancer cell or anything. The moment the MU inhabitants got sapience they had their own mindset, and could not really be described as "malfunctioning" any more than a good guy could. They were all acting outside of their initial purpose, and were controlled less by programmed tasks and more by their own sense of what they should/shouldn't do. The villains simply ended up with more lust for personal gain and less care about what might happen to anyone else.

Thanks for the answers, guys!

It has made me realize that I really need to read all of the Bionicle serials now...

Can a staff member close this now? I have all the info I need.

Sure thing. Thanks to all who replied, glad to help, and topic closed per starter's request. ^_^

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)