Terror Bird

Very nice. Best of all, this design just screams "Bionicle" and would be a great representation for it at the convention. You managed to make a fairly realistic bird while keeping with the biomechanical look of the theme. Best of luck in the contest! :music:

Bless you for coming up with and executing one of the other ideas I had. Now we just need Big Bird and a kiwi and we're set.The beak is good stuff, her stubby wings are adorable, and the Rahkshi thighs are surprisingly good at that hairless scaly toe feel. Not sure how I feel about the leg pistons, but they're probably necessary for support.

Edited by Arpy

tumblr_mqdlmepiG01rf11n3o1_500.png

Hello again, Bunda! You've picked an ingenious entry for this contest, and I wholeheartedly approve of it. Terror birds are very awesome. Your entry has all the right, muscular proportions, with the Bohrok carapaces helping to shape the rounded body well. I also like the use of blue as a secondary color. With those pistons in his legs, he looks appropriately muscular and bulky, in a menacing way.There are many small touches that I also really enjoy: how the Rahskhi thighs with the big claws work as talons; how the Hero Factory panels are excellent as useless little forelimbs; how he has vacant yellow bushing eyes and a red Castle Skeleton sword for a tongue; and how the Rahkshi leg makes a great lower jaw. Honestly, this is one of the best entries to the contest I've seen yet, and since your terror bird can't fly, he's really going to give the competition a run for their money, no pun intended.~B~

That's awesome. Reminds me of those prehistoric giant flightless... well, terror birds would be the most apt name, I suppose. :lol:

It is a rather apt name, as that is what they are called. :lol:, indeed.

Very nice. Best of all, this design just screams "Bionicle" and would be a great representation for it at the convention. You managed to make a fairly realistic bird while keeping with the biomechanical look of the theme. Best of luck in the contest! :music:

I wasn't really intending it to look that way, but I suppose it does have a pretty classic look, considering most of the pieces I used are pre-2003. I considered for a time putting some Kanohi, at the base of its neck over the Bohrok plates, to make it look like a classic Rahi. But I decided against it, because it would mess up the profile.

Bless you for coming up with and executing one of the other ideas I had. Now we just need Big Bird and a kiwi and we're set.The beak is good stuff, her stubby wings are adorable, and the Rahkshi thighs are surprisingly good at that hairless scaly toe feel. Not sure how I feel about the leg pistons, but they're probably necessary for support.

Looks like we're not getting those two. =/

I never tested it without them, so I'm not certain, but they probably are necessary for support. It's a really heavy model. Might be the heaviest I've built, aside from maybe the Muaka, but that had a third limb to rest on. A shame those pistons don't come in black, and they're so hard to get in gunmetal.

Hello again, Bunda! You've picked an ingenious entry for this contest, and I wholeheartedly approve of it. Terror birds are very awesome. Your entry has all the right, muscular proportions, with the Bohrok carapaces helping to shape the rounded body well. I also like the use of blue as a secondary color. With those pistons in his legs, he looks appropriately muscular and bulky, in a menacing way.There are many small touches that I also really enjoy: how the Rahskhi thighs with the big claws work as talons; how the Hero Factory panels are excellent as useless little forelimbs; how he has vacant yellow bushing eyes and a red Castle Skeleton sword for a tongue; and how the Rahkshi leg makes a great lower jaw. Honestly, this is one of the best entries to the contest I've seen yet, and since your terror bird can't fly, he's really going to give the competition a run for their money, no pun intended.~B~

Thanks! I'd like to say I made this because I'm awesome and I thought it would be a challenge, but I actually chickened (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) out after my first attempt to build a retro-style Bionicle bird failed miserable because wings are hard and life is hard. But I'm pretty satisfied with this as my secondary idea.

The tongue is actually this and this, though I can see why at low def it looks like a castle sword. And the lower jaw is a Piraka arm. (We can link to Bricklink now, right?)

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

Ah, the bird that makes people fear chickens. :P The sculpting and shape of this is really exceptional, the bohrahk faceplates are put to good use. The tiny wings are really accurate, not to mention adorable.The tongue is super cool, and EHRMAGERD YOU PUT A DEWCLAW IN. It's nice to see someone putting the exposed + axles on the pistons to good use. Excellent work, I wish you all the luck for the contest!

Look at me still talking when there's science to do!

• 2 weeks later...

@ Wasp: Obviously we can't know for sure, but most artist's renderings show tiny tiny wings about this size.@ iduskpr: I usually take pictures of my stuff as I take it apart as a general guide if I ever want to rebuild it. Since I'll probably be sending this to Brickfair (and I may display it on my shelf for a while after that), it will be some time before I take it apart. I'll try to remember to upload the guide pictures after I take them and message you.

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

• 3 weeks later...