General Art Contest #20: BZP YouTube Banner!

bonesiii

Yes, I said YouTube! :o

BZPower has its own YouTube Channel. But something's missing. See the rectangle with the geometric gray background here?

http://www.youtube.com/user/BZPTube

That's what you get to create an image for! Pretty awesome! But what to make? Well, it should be Bionicle and/or BZPower related, and we'd obviously like it to be quality. The dimensions must be 2560x1440 pixels. If you have any other questions beyond the basic standard rules for art contests, please post them here. But in general, you decide!

Entry period begins now and ends (tentative date) on January 30 at 11:59 PM EST (that's a Thursday). If we don't get a lot of entries by that time we might extend it but please if you're interested do try to make time for it sooner rather than later. :)

RULES

1) All entries must qualify under General Art rules (so no comics or animations).

2) Each member can only enter one image.

3) Each entry must use the entry form below.

4) The entry image you direct-link (display in-post) can only be 500 KB or less in filesize as per BZPower rules. I don't know if this will matter but just for the record. The entry image itself must be 2560x1440 pixels, and ideally a PNG or JPG, so if the filesize of that comes out to under 500 KB you can just post it directly, but otherwise please link it from text or a thumbnail.

NOTE: If you are displaying a smaller image to fit in the 500 KB limit, this MUST be a scaled-down version of the entire image, not a cropped portion of the full image.

If anyone needs help resizing images, you may ask for it here or by PMing me (you may text-link to the large images here before officially entering them in such cases; just don't use the entry form until you have an image small enough).

5) Please do not enter the image until you are satisfied it is finished. To keep this one simple, you must ask permission to edit any images, describing how you would, and I or the administration reserve the right to say no -- so please just avoid the issue by only entering when it's ready.

NOTE: If an image you entered violates the rules you may switch it for a qualifying one, but you must notify me.

6) Entries must be appropriate for young children. I or the admins reserve the right to disqualify any image we feel crosses the line, and if you are unsure if something is okay, please PM it to me instead of posting (though in this case, if you're unsure, best just to go with something else).

7) No flaming, spamming, impatience-posts, etc. However, discussion, questions, and comments about the contest are, yes, are allowed here in the entry topic.

8) This contest is open to all BZPower members.

9) I reserve the right to edit any and all posts, if I spot a problem in them I can fix with no need to consult the poster, especially format problems.

10) Additional prizes for first, second, and third place will involve mailing, so do not enter unless you are willing to divulge mailing details to BZPower staff (but do not give that out publicly).

11) If you are unsure about anything and don't wish to publicly reveal your plans, please feel free to PM me your question. (I may need to forward it to the administration depending on what it is.)

Entry form:

Member name: [use the name you want permanently on record]

[img=UNDER500KBPICURL]

Other links: [optional; link development images, and/or a topic for your entry]

Replace "UNDER500KBPICURL" with your entry image, or a scaled down version of it. This should be the ONLY directly-linked (displayed in-post) image in your entry form. All others should be linked to.

If you wish to make the main image a link to a larger version, replace the img tag line with this:

Click for fullsize:
[url=LARGEPICURL][img=UNDER500KBPICURL][/url]

And replace "LARGEPICURL" with the larger version of the entry image.

Additional prizes will be:
30240 Z-95 Headhunter
30054 AT-ST
40057 Fall Scene

First place will get first pick, second place then gets to pick, third gets what's left.

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Why does the image have to be 2560x1440px? All the channels that I'm subscribed to are all around 1060x175px.

This is because on a TV display, the YouTube Banner will use a larger image than, say, a tablet.

But may I add, that there is a principal to making the Banner. Considering Tablets can only display a certain portion of the image, and 13" laptops will only display a portion of the image, and so on, so forth, the Banner needs to be made according to the smallest dimensions it will be displayed in. I have a template that sets out the measurements of each display type (i.e. Tablets, Laptops, Monitors, etc.). Since most viewers will be using a laptop or a desktop, most of the artwork should be within a designated measurement. Here is the template.

Also, refer to the Google support article for more on the dimensions, etc.

-Rez

Why does the image have to be 2560x1440px? All the channels that I'm subscribed to are all around 1060x175px.

This is because on a TV display, the YouTube Banner will use a larger image than, say, a tablet.

But may I add, that there is a principal to making the Banner. Considering Tablets can only display a certain portion of the image, and 13" laptops will only display a portion of the image, and so on, so forth, the Banner needs to be made according to the smallest dimensions it will be displayed in. I have a template that sets out the measurements of each display type (i.e. Tablets, Laptops, Monitors, etc.). Since most viewers will be using a laptop or a desktop, most of the artwork should be within a designated measurement. Here is the template.

Also, refer to the Google support article for more on the dimensions, etc.

-Rez

Alright, thanks.

The rules should probably be updated with this info.

EDIT: I've read that YouTube's file size limit for banners is 2MB. Not sure if that's accurate or not, but it's probably also worth mentioning.

---

Member name: Primis

Click for fullsize:

bzptubepreview.jpg

Other links: Topic link.

Edited by Primis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After getting a new laptop and transferring programs and files, I completely forgot about this contest. Since I finally reinstalled Photoshop a couple of days ago, I'll try and conjure up something, but I may not have time.

-Rez

30th is Thursday.

Edited by bonesiii
Whoops! Thanks for the catch; fixed. :) -bones

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Member name: ldd2000

Click for fullsize:

BZPbanner_Small.png?psid=1

Hope you like it :)

EDIT:

I just realized I got the higher quality link wrong :( sorry about that...

This Link should let you view it, again, I'm really sorry.....

Edited by ldd2000

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

promo_banner.png

Creating topic for Idd2000, please don't post until he does.

Or he'll eat you