RPG Forum Contest 31

Black Six

Bionicle RPG Forum Text-Based RPG Contest 31

It's that time again! Get those creative muscles flexing and make an RPG. No theme, just make whatever awesome Bionicle idea you have!

Here's how these contests work:

• The contest will be run every four (4) months, or three (3) times a year.
  • All members are welcome to enter the contest.
    • Each member can only enter one (1) Text-based RPG entry.
    • The only exception to this is that RPG Contest staff will not be permitted to make entries.
  • There will be three winners selected in every contest.
    • The winners will be the three RPGs with the most votes after one or more rounds of voting (depending on the number of entries).
  • Whether or not a given RPG wins or not, it will be allowed to run in future contests, with the below conditions and restrictions.
    • For and RPG that lost a contest, the creator must make an attempt to alter and improve their entry before entering it in the next contest.
    • If an RPG has won four (4) consecutive contests that it has entered, it can not enter the next four contests. It does not, however, have to be altered before being entered again after its break, although the creator can do so if they desire to.
      • Example: A RPG wins two contests in a row. It is not entered in the next contest. It is entered and wins the fourth and fifth contests. At this point it cannot be entered into the next four contests.
  • Other restrictions as a result of other rules or administrative action may prevent a member from submitting an RPG.
  • At the end of the four-month interval between contests, if an active RPG does not win again, it will be closed.
    • If a former winner wins again at a later date, the creator of the RPG can choose to continue in the old topic where they left off or start over again in a new topic.
  • If the creator or members of a winning RPG break the RPG forum rules, that RPG will be closed.
    • The next runner-up from the previous contest will be allowed to run for the remainder of the term.
    • The offending RPG will not be allowed to participate in the next contest.
  • If a winning RPG has no new posts for three weeks, that RPG will be closed.
    • The next runner-up from the previous contest will be allowed to run for the remainder of the term.
  • TBRPG Entries

The following is what determines a Text-Based RPG entry. The creator of each entry must provide at least:

• A brief introduction to the RPG.
      • A description of the setting - the time and place the events occur.
      • A history of what has happened leading up to the current situation.
      • The characters and creatures involved. Does this take place in the canonical Bionicle Universe, or is this your own island with its own heroes and villains?
  • A description on how you plan to further to story.
    • Does it follow the actual Bionicle story or take place in a setting of your own creation?
    • Is there an outline on where you plan for it go?
    • Will the players be allowed to choose the direction the story takes?
    • Is there an ultimate goal or quest, or is it merely a world for members to inhabit?
  • Requirements for those wishing to participate in your RPG.
    • Will members be taking the role of existing characters or characters you have created?
    • Can they make their own characters? If so, what sort of restrictions will be placed on them?
    • What sort of equipment, masks, stats, etc will members get when they begin?
  • Rules determining how players will interact with the environment and other characters.
    • How will the winner of battles be determined?
    • How will members buy and upgrade their equipment?
    • Will members level up? How will they gain experience?
  • The above information can be submitted however the creator prefers. It does not have to be delineated in this way, as long as it is all there.

Contest Procedures

Here is the format the contest will operate under:

• Members will have approximately three weeks to draft and submit entries.
      • Entries will be posted in the Contest Submission thread. Any entries posted elsewhere or PMed will be disregarded.
      • At the end of this period, no further entries will be accepted.
  • The entries will be grouped into as few polls as possible for the initial round of voting.
  • Each round of voting will last for two to three days (48-72 hours).
  • The format of subsequent rounds of voting will be determined depending on the number of entries.
  • The three entries with the most votes in the final round of voting will be declared the winners.
  • Any questions can be posted in the Contest Rules Thread or PMed to Contest Host Black Six.

NOTE - All current TBRPGs must be submitted as entries if they wish to continue running.

Entries can be SUBMITTED from now until 11:59 PM EST on Thursday, May 22nd.

You can review other entries and discuss the reviews in the Review Topic.

So. This is how it begins...

Hope you guys like time travel, alternate dimensions, and anti-heroes/villains, because boy do I have something cooking on the grill this time. Something with light seasoning and a thick, honey-barbeque glaze.

Who wants to start a betting pool on the number of RPGs entered?

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

Kinda bummed that BZPRPG staff are still barred from entering even after the seemingly productive discussions from the last contest.

Oh well.

tumblr_n4vq2wO0a21rm368co1_400.gif

Honestly it's been so long since those discussions that I had forgotten. I've removed that rule and now only RPG Contest staff (me) are prohibited from entering.
  • Upvote 3

Well, the RPG is posted for reading and reviewing. I'm almost certain I'm going to go back on this one.... I'm thinking that I might add color-coded text to make it easier to navigate. If I can get a map uploaded, that would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.

Amusingly, this would have been my shortest RPG yet, until I realized I should probably make some character profiles. Those ended up taking up a quarter of the word count, and pushing it well past my last one. Still, at least it's more compressed.

Questions and comments appreciated. I'll try to put out as many reviews of my own as I can, but it won't be until June that I'm really freed up. Conveniently, when the RPGs start up.

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Assorted colors are now instituted with the last edit to make it more visually distinctive. Current status of a map - hahaha.

With regards to my "betting pool" joke above, I'm going to call 11 as the number right now, though leaving a safe range of at least two either way seems wise. I'd be much happier to be wrong, though; even having 14+ RPGs again would be a relief.

I'll be slightly more optimistic and say 12.

In the last 4 contests, we've had 13, 11, 12 and 12, so it seems to be about where we've plateaued in terms of contest entries. Activity and player numbers may still be in decline, but the entries don't really seem to be dropping off at all.

ppg2.png

Not all of them...

Actually, now that I look back on it, you may have a point. In the last 4 contests (a yearish of roleplaying) only three games have run their full three months, and two of those were lost to the hack attack so we can't see them anymore.

ppg2.png

Yeah, my favourite Requiem IV.

R.I.P. Voyage of the Requiem IV. :'(

Yep, that's probably the best rpg I've played on here! I'm glad I got to have such a big role in it... ^_^

Come to think about it, I should definitely enter this contest. (If I can find time away from finals that is...)

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

So, those games I was talking about in the planning topic... the word document I had them in got corrupted and I can't get it back. Which is a pity, since I had both RPGs very nearly complete, along with lots of notes on plots, characters etc.

I hope I can find time in the next 10 days to recreate either of them, but it's probably going to be a last-minute entry.

>:(

ppg2.png

Pull a SPIRIT and post just a profile form, and hope that there's only three entries so you're guaranteed a victory?

Or not even that few. If I recall, there were like 40 RPGs that contest. :P

So, those games I was talking about in the planning topic... the word document I had them in got corrupted and I can't get it back. Which is a pity, since I had both RPGs very nearly complete, along with lots of notes on plots, characters etc.

I hope I can find time in the next 10 days to recreate either of them, but it's probably going to be a last-minute entry.

Don't you have a few old, incomplete RPGs in the planning topic? Hitting one of them with a resurrection bolt could be a big time saver.

Edited by Toa Levacius Zehvor

I'll admit, this seems to be a pretty slow season. I myself don't really have many ideas, just a few that are popping up now as I think, but my problem is that, as usual, I'm going to be totally MIA for pretty much July.

sooo if anyone wants an assistant/co-GM to bounce ideas off and help run sometimes, I'm here. :P

And yes, Canis, I know I'm still helping with your game. On that topic, do you think you could fast-forward the supply-run group over to a hospital just to get things moving again? :P

Zakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg

They call me Zakaro. You should too.

Pull a SPIRIT and post just a profile form, and hope that there's only three entries so you're guaranteed a victory?

Nah, there'll be at least 4. Levacius's, Canis's, Grivity's promised game, and mine. I'm pretty sure all of those three are good enough to beat even the best-looking profile form.

Don't you have a few old, incomplete RPGs in the planning topic? Hitting one of them with a resurrection bolt could be a big time saver.

I do have a few old ones... and to be honest I'd still like to give City on the Dark a run...

Secrets and Shadows I think should stay in the planning topic. It was written for a time when we had more players, and with the way it was set up to run it would just die on us now.

Transformation, as mush as I love it, suffers from the same problem

The Web, though, has some potential.

Now that you point it out, I have plenty of material to enter for this contest even if I can't get the new ones re-written. Thanks for that. Last night I was just despairing a little over losing a whole year's worth of RPG-making material, along with notes and background material (which actually includes the answers to the mystery in City in the Dark, but I think I can remember that well enough.

ppg2.png

Wow so many choices to choose from, how will I ever decide what to vote on? =P

Seriously though, I'm starting to wonder how many contests will go through before we don't have any entries at all.

Edited by Princess Anna of Arendelle

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

Just reentered Outbreak after procrastinating a lot. Only nine more days to go! Good luck to Levacius, my only competitor! :P

Oh look, you jinxed it. :P

Now that you point it out, I have plenty of material to enter for this contest even if I can't get the new ones re-written. Thanks for that. Last night I was just despairing a little over losing a whole year's worth of RPG-making material, along with notes and background material (which actually includes the answers to the mystery in City in the Dark, but I think I can remember that well enough.

Let us never despair, so long as we have old documents typed up and hidden away on BZP. :D

Got Midnight City up.

shoutout to darkon and gear for being the most amazing people ever

man that was like

a year and a half in the making

hope y'all like

<3

#yaynotlongestrpg

Your description of the Lotus Ballroom inspired me. My next RPG shall be written in the text format of Finnegan's Wake.

Wow so many choices to choose from, how will I ever decide what to vote on? =P

Seriously though, I'm starting to wonder how many contests will go through before we don't have any entries at all.

We better get more. I demand to see 11!

I've split off the discussion on how to handle RPG contests going forward - it's a really good discussion to have, but it was also drowning out the actual entries in this topic. Feel free to continue the discussion over there!

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Your description of the Lotus Ballroom inspired me. My next RPG shall be written in the text format of Finnegan's Wake.

Despite the joking nature of your comment, I would absolutely adore this, to be honest. Having the chance to use "In the name of Annah the Allmaziful, the Everliving, the Bringer of Plurabilities, haloed be her eve, her singtime sung, her rill be run, unhemmed as it is uneven!" as the introduction for a character would be simply glorious.

Also, anyone else seriously considering entering in this last week?

Edited by Prodigal

pNNgXax.jpg

Despite the joking nature of your comment, I would absolutely adore this, to be honest. Having the chance to use "In the name of Annah the Allmaziful, the Everliving, the Bringer of Plurabilities, haloed be her eve, her singtime sung, her rill be run, unhemmed as it is uneven!" as the introduction for a character would be simply glorious.

Can we all take a moment to gaze upon the genius who put together those absolutely amazing scenes.

Because Darkon is an amazing writer.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Also, anyone else seriously considering entering in this last week?

Yep, me. I'm still rewriting what I lost, but I've also put a bit of time into preparing City in the Dark (Contest 28) and The Web (contest 30) to possibly be re-entered.

Quick poll: which would people rather see entered? One of those two or Kojol's Legacy, the one I talked about in the planning topic? That's just the story in there, but the rest can be up soonish.

Edited by The Lorax

ppg2.png