Comics Contest #1: Get a Clue!

-Windrider-

withbook.png

How many mystery comics does it take to screw in a lightbulb?Well, only one; all it needs is a good twist.Unfortunately, this contest does not involve a feat of strength measured by overcoming a pesky lightbulb; it is a traditional affair where you will have to submit your comic entries and have them voted on in a series of polls. A bummer, I know.But, in hopes of making things exciting, Ziko and I have decided that the theme is a mystery. No, you don't have to guess what the theme is - you will be the one creating a mystery in your comics. This contest requires you to submit a comic whose focus is on a plot of intrigue, a mystery that will leave your readers guessing until you finally put all the clues together for them. If you decide to do that at all, that is.As such, the comics should be story-driven, and you should focus on the intricacies of plot and character development instead of the traditional humor that has a home here in the Comics forum. That is not to say that no humor is allowed; no, on the contrary, an effective and perhaps sparing use of humor will serve to heighten the tension in your mystery through contrast. I would, however, like to avoid "Scooby-Doo"-type submissions where everything is zany. This is to answer the several calls we had in the Suggestions topic for a more "serious" theme, one in which the entries will exhibit dramatic tension.In addition, we hope that this theme will encompass several other suggestions by allowing entries of their type, such as murder mysteries for the "death twist" theme, mysterious catastrophes (hey, it's possible!), and mysteries based on betrayal to cover a more recent suggestion.Entry period:Entries will be accepted from February 1st, 12:00 AM Eastern until March 4th, 11:59 PM Eastern. This means you have [i don't feel like counting] weeks to complete your entry, so please do take your time! Challenge yourselves to tell a polished story with your comics.Unauthorized revisions will not be allowed after an entry has been submitted; if you need to fix something in your entry, please contact either me or Ziko.Entry form:Please fill this out and post it in this topic to enter your comic.Member name:Entry name:Entry URL:Optional:Thumbnail URL (highly recommended; more on this in "Entry requirements"):Entry topic:Entry requirements:All entries of all media will be accepted and will not be separated into categories. There are, however, a few requirements to be followed.Entries must be LEGO-related. This is in compliance with the rules of the Comics forum; this is not a COT contest!Entries should not exceed 3 MB in file size per page. You are allowed to split your entry into multiple files/pages, but each must be less than 3 MB in size.Remember that if your image is above 500 kB in size, you should link to it in compliance with BZPower's global rules.Entries must be in GIF, JPEG, or PNG format. Your comic's presentation must be static:In hindsight, I can now see why this might seem like an odd rule. My reasoning is that I want to avoid that gray area between Music & Movies and Comics, now that the two forums are separated.I am going to say that individual panels can be animated for effect. The presentation of the comic should be static, however. That is, you could not make an animated "slideshow" to present your comic.It is highly recommended that you provide a 128x128 pixel crop or thumbnail that represents your comic. These will be displayed in the polls for flavor. For an idea of what I am talking about, check out the thumbnails in the most recent Advent Calendar. If you do not submit one, one will be made for you, and you might not like it!General rules:Failure to follow these rules may result in a disqualification.All BZPower Rules must be followed! If it would not be allowed in a post, it is not allowed in a comic.Only one entry per member. All entries must be your original work and cannot have been published on BZPower prior to your entering it.Entries may not be modified once posted unless you have instruction to do so to fix a rules violation, or if you have approval to correct a minor error. All such requests should be PMed to me or Ziko. The assistants, Ziko, and I will check all entry images against the ones submitted at the end of the entry period, so, on that note,No cheating! We will catch you if you modify your entry without approval. Cheating = disqualification = sad.No mass advertising your entry through PM or other means. PMs amongst you and your friends are fine, but nothing more. If you receive an unsolicited advertising PM, please report it.If you wish to advertise your entry, you may do so through your signature or blog, or, of course, by posting an entry topic. Please do follow the signature guidelines.Voting:Voting will take place in polls. I am expecting two rounds of voting for this contest:Semifinal voting should begin on March 6th and will end on March 8th.Final voting should begin on March 9th and end on March 11th.Prizes:One might say the prizes...are a mystery.pccool.gifHosts, assistants, and conduct:Your hosts are -Windrider- and Ziko.Your assistants are 55555 and Kakaru.This topic will be left open for contest discussion, and while discussion is indeed encouraged, we expect everyone to conduct him or herself professionally. That means no spamming, no flaming, no whining, etc. It could hurt your standing in the contest! In addition, please do not try to "play moderator." If you have issues with someone's behavior, someone's entry, or anything, please do not post about it. You can PM any of the four of us, and we can sort things out privately.If you have any questions, feel free to PM any of the four of us, or simply post it in this topic.Banners and such:These were made by Ziko, and he is quite awesome for having done so. We encourage the submission of more banners, and we also encourage you to use these to advertise the contest!withoutbook.pngVariation 1Variation 2Variation 3

Edited by Melorussophobia
Deadline extended!

Contest FAQBelow is a collection of commonly asked questions relating to the contest. Please read these over before asking a question--it might be answered here.Is there a minimum/maximum length for comics?No, there isn't a minimum or maximum length; this includes the number of pages you have. However, making a comic too short or long could be detrimental if the plot isn't covered well or the comic drags on.What types of mysteries are allowed?You can use any sort of mystery; it doesn't even have to be resolved if you so desire. If you're mystery involves violence, though, make sure it isn't too graphic.Does it have to be a sprite comic?As said in the opening post, no. You can use any medium you want._______sloppysmock.png

Edited by Ziko

What's odd is my current series already does have a titular mystery at the centre of the plot, and is going for a less humour-driven and more character-driven storyline. Who'd a' thunk.

i know what youre thinking, whos gonna care what shoes shes wearing but BELIEVE ME, WOMEN notice

And so I've already started planning out my comic.This theme is definitely interesting, and really not something I should pass up in taking part of.I only have one question, is there a certain limit of how many panels can be put into the comics?Looking forward to seeing the entries.-V-

Here are some actually great comics that I feel deserve a bit more attention as well.

One Nation Under The Great Spirit - The Lazy Life of a Comic Maker 3.0 - 009 Makes Comics - Tilted - The Awesomepacolypse - Tavkorp: Since 2008 - Akano's Comics

Well, see you never again, BZP.

I only have one question, is there a certain limit of how many panels can be put into the comics?

No, there isn't a panel limit. You'll just have to make sure the comic doesn't go over 1.5MB in file size if it gets too long. If it does, though, you can split it into separate files.

Yeah, I'm planning on entering this one. Its the first comic in the home forum, after all.Now, what exactly is the violence/blood limit for this contest? Most mysteries center around murders and most murders are...well, bloody, and I'm wondering how far we can take it with this?Also, can we show this comic to others before releasing it onto here? And if we do release, can we get feedback, edit, and then submit?

Now, what exactly is the violence/blood limit for this contest? Most mysteries center around murders and most murders are...well, bloody, and I'm wondering how far we can take it with this?

Contest entries should follow the same guidelines as normal comics. Blood and gore are allowed to some extent, but they shouldn't be excessive--if you want to put blood in, that's fine, but it shouldn't cover every inch of the comic. Violence is allowed also, but it shouldn't be graphic; if it does involve something graphic (say, someone being stabbed), it should happen "off-screen," in the shadows, or in some other way that it isn't head-on.If have something specific in mind, you could PM someone on the contest staff your idea or some image of what you'd use to look it over.

Also, can we show this comic to others before releasing it onto here? And if we do release, can we get feedback, edit, and then submit?

It shouldn't be shown to others, although I suppose we couldn't stop you. It can't have been posted before, and it can't be edited beyond minor tweaks (with permission) after being released. So we're using similar rules to BBC contests in that regard. Edited by Ziko

Also, can we show this comic to others before releasing it onto here? And if we do release, can we get feedback, edit, and then submit?

We can't control what happens outside of BZPower, and we're not going to go looking for anything off-site either. However, we hope you will do your best to be your own critic.

What about silent, short, ambiguous strips?Like, not four panels, but something that's sort of just a slice of something else.

If you can create something ambiguous while clearly conveying an air of intrigue at the same time, go for it.

This could be interesting. I've got something in mind, but I don't know if I would have the time for it (Junior year in college is one of the busiest times). Plus, I'm already commited to a private work (soon to be posted). Is there a minimum and/or maximum length?

There's no limit; the comic can be any length. Making it too short or too long could work against you, though, if the comic doesn't cover the plot well enough (in a bad way) or goes on for too long.

Edited by Ziko

Hmm...I was looking over the sizes of several other comics and came to a realization: is there a possibility that the limit for each "part" of a comic be expanded? 1.5 Mb is a bit small, especially since you're talking about entries that are basically really long images. I understand that this limit is put in place in order to prevent gigantic comics from slowing down people's computers/discouraging them from reading all the way through, but it also can possibly mess with the timing and pace of the comic. Can we get a bit of an expansion, perhaps to 3-5 Mb max?

Are we allowed to post our entries in our comic topics as well?

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

Hmm...I was looking over the sizes of several other comics and came to a realization: is there a possibility that the limit for each "part" of a comic be expanded? 1.5 Mb is a bit small, especially since you're talking about entries that are basically really long images. I understand that this limit is put in place in order to prevent gigantic comics from slowing down people's computers/discouraging them from reading all the way through, but it also can possibly mess with the timing and pace of the comic. Can we get a bit of an expansion, perhaps to 3-5 Mb max?

Edit: Oh hey, the limit has been expanded to 3 MB. We'll go with that. You can still split up your entry across multiple pages if you feel the need to make it run longer.

Are we allowed to post our entries in our comic topics as well?

Yes. We recommend creating a separate topic as well, however, for your benefit and the reader's. I'll just snip a bit from some questions I came up with beforehand because I'd feel pretty down if I never got the chance to use these:

Can my entry be part of my existing comic series/use characters from my comic?

Yes, although I don't recommend it. It would force potential voters to familiarize themselves with your series before making an informed decision, and many people don't want to read the last six chapters just to understand what's happening. It's better to start with a clean slate or -if you feel the need to integrate it into your comic- just paraphrase what happened before.
Edited by Kakaru

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

Edit: Oh hey, the limit has been expanded to 3 MB. We'll go with that. You can still split up your entry across multiple pages if you feel the need to make it run longer.
Yeah, my initial concern was that the pacing of the story might be ruined/lessened by spreading it over too many parts (since this is a mystery, the stories and by extension the comics will probably be a bit longer than usual), but now that the size has been upped its all good. Thanks.

Very interesting. I won't be entering, but I'm excited to see what others come up with. I think the idea of having a comics contest was fantastic, and I hope it goes great. I wonder what these creative comic makers on BZPower will come up with...-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

I'm definitely going to enter. I'll get to work right now spriting new characters, actually. I'm fond of mysteries.Anyway, sounds great. I've put a banner in my sig to show my support.I can't wait to see what other people make. I was a little reluctant at first, because I know that I have no chance of winning, but I'll definitely enter.Oh, and a question: Will we be seeing "creative" preliminary and semifinal poll names a la BBCC/Tufi Piyufi?--CV

banner.jpg

Oh, and a question: Will we be seeing "creative" preliminary and semifinal poll names a la BBCC/Tufi Piyufi?

That depends on the number of entries. If there are enough, though, we will have multiple voting rounds.

Oh, and a question: Will we be seeing "creative" preliminary and semifinal poll names a la BBCC/Tufi Piyufi?

That depends on the number of entries. If there are enough, though, we will have multiple voting rounds.
If so, I hope they're named in a similar fashion.

banner.jpg

Sorry, I misread your post (reading to fast ><).To answer your actual question, yes, we'll certainly try to come up with creative names.

It happens. :PAnyway, I should get to work.Ziko, what font did you use for the banners/logo?--CV Edited by Captain Viridian

banner.jpg

*strokes mustache thoughtfully* A mystery, eh? This, indeed, is a challenge worthy of my talent! I will prove my aptitudes as not only the best detective in the world, but as the best comic-maker on the zone of BIONICLE Power! Oui--Nuile, he accepts! Already I have a little idea. The little gray cells shall not fail me!I have but one little question. The sprites, they are permitted--no?

From the desk of Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

:smilemirunu:

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

Oh.....My....Gosh. Time to get back to comic making. I AM SOOOO ENTERING THIS!!! Are we allowed to make a murder mystery? Cause I got a perfect Idea.

I'm BACK!!!!!!!!

PM me if you want your comics or movie's reviewed by a guy who loves Bum Reviews!

bum_review_spoof_new1.pngP.S. I am not Doug Walker, nor do I claim to be.

Dark709 Fanmovie CHECK OUT DARK709's COMICS AND MOVIES!

Darthbrandon14's "ESCAPE FROM DARKNESS", coming soon

IF YOU WANT TO GUEST STAR, PM ME ASAP! GIVE ME A "RAZOR" SPRITESHEET! DON'T POST IN MY COMICS!

new_comic_banner.gif

Ziko, what font did you use for the banners/logo?

"BZPower" is Terminator. The font used in the forums is actually Terminator 2, but I didn't know that back when I downloaded it (not sure what the difference is--it's minor, though). The rest is Courier New.

Are we allowed to make a murder mystery? Cause I got a perfect Idea.

Sure, as long as it isn't too graphic; any type of mystery is fine. Edited by Ziko

OK, cool. I'm starting now

I'm BACK!!!!!!!!

PM me if you want your comics or movie's reviewed by a guy who loves Bum Reviews!

IF YOU WANT TO GUEST STAR, PM ME ASAP! GIVE ME A "RAZOR" SPRITESHEET! DON'T POST IN MY COMICS!

new_comic_banner.gif

Can I have the title at the very top of the comic be in latin, and under it, have a subtitle saying the english translation?

I'm BACK!!!!!!!!

new_comic_banner.gif

I have http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.pngNo clueYEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH*what to do for this contest. Hand-drawn? Sprite? I have almost no experience with sprites, but I really want to enter. Can't come up with a good enough story, and I don't feel like using old MOC characters, OR invent new ones.

Okay, done with the script, so now all I have to do it make it. I'm planning on using vectors though, so that should probably take just about the entire three weeks to finish if I finish it by then at all. Looking forward to it, though.

Edited by Tavakai

button.png