Video Game You Last Played?

Deus Ex: The Conspiracy (PS2 port)

...Is it so wrong that I actually kind of prefer the small changes for this console port compared to the original PC release? Only annoying thing are all the dang loading screens.

Wrong? 'Tis blasphemy!

I'm joking, of course. In fact, my plan is to use an overhaul mod the next time I play it. I can't remember what it is called off the top of my head, but it is supposed to be quite good.

I doubt the changes between the PC version of the game and the PS2 version are anywhere near as extensive as an overhaul, but I am curious: What kind of changes were made?

I knew it! Burn me, burn me like the filthy heretic i am! Just spare me kids! i got three of 'em, they 'ad no part in this, I swears to ya!

Drama aside, sure I'll tell you. The maps are smaller (hence the many loading screens to load the chopped up parts of the once large maps), you no longer need to check on the health of each body part, the secondary menu is split into two parts, items and augs, with a few of the other tabs put into these menu halves. While the graphics are still terribly outdated, they now look a tad bit better; Anna's red cyber eye has a distracting white human eye in the middle of it though (laughed when I first saw it).

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast. I'm chewing through the Dark Forces series right now, having recently finished Mysteries of the Sith. I must say, as much as I love retro games, it feels good having entered the (slightly) more modern half of this particular series.

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

• 2 weeks later...

Dragon Age: Origins. My first run through this game was dominated by a mixture of love and hate: I enjoyed it enough to see the main plot through to the end, but when the epilogue rolled, I heaved a sigh of exhausted relief. At that time, I could best describe the game as an enjoyable slog. The tedium I associated with the game was largely my fault. I did not quite grasp the concept of a character build, and I distributed my attribute and talent points wantonly, not realizing that, unlike in the Knights of the Old Republic games, I would not be able to bungle my way through despite my ignorance.

Still, I enjoyed the game enough to try it again over a year ago, and that run began much more smoothly. I played more intelligently and ended up with a smooth-talking rogue who could also deal hefty damage in combat as long as she had someone else to keep the enemy occupied. I enjoyed this run much more than my first run, and I was on course to complete as many side quests (including the DLC stuff) as possible. However, about twenty hours in, I was foiled by a hard drive crash. With no save backups and a lack of willingness to replay that much of the game just to get back to where I was, I moved on.

The itch returned a month or so ago, however, and I started a female elf mage. I am again enjoying the game quite a bit. Mages are a blast to play, especially if you decide to remove the danger of friendly fire by playing on the easy difficulty setting like I am doing. Loosing Inferno (a fire tornado, basically) or Tempest (a localized lightning storm) in a battle produces spectacular sights.

I still think combat encounters occur a little too frequently. In fact, that is the primary reason I switched to Easy; I don't mind having to play smart and tactically, but when every encounter is dangerous, doing so so often is exhausting and removes some of the fun for me.

That said, I have avoided tedium by playing a couple other games.

Overwatch. Yes, I have discovered this black hole of fun and wonder. When the game first came out, I wrote it off, partly because I figured it would be a flash in the pan but largely because I am, in general, not a multiplayer fan. I'm glad I decided to take a risk on this game, because it is an absolute blast to play. I don't have a "main," but I do favor Widowmaker. Of course, it wouldn't matter if I did have a "main;" I primarily play the Mystery Heroes mode, which randomly assigns you a hero every time you spawn. It essentially forces you to try heroes you would otherwise avoid, and that is an effective way to gain more skill with a wide array of characters. Plus, Mystery Heroes has the added bonus of being fairly laid back. Everyone plays poorly as at least one character, so people are usually pretty forgiving when you play terribly from time to time.

And then my most recent purchase: Wolfenstein: The New Order. Despite being a fan of Return to Castle Wolfenstein and enjoying the fan-maligned Wolfenstein, I paid little attention to this entry. At the time it was released, I didn't have a computer capable of running it, and afyerward I just forgot about it. I would see it mentioned here and there and think, "Oh, I should try that some time; I've heard it's pretty fun," but I would quickly forget it. After seeing recent coverage of the game's upcoming sequel, my interest was finally piqued, and when a recent Steam sale offered the game at a discount, I picked it up.

I will admit that I was initially thrown off by the game's tone, which is a bit odd in the sense that it will have you smiling or laughing at one point, and then make you wince in horror at some atrocity five minutes later. This tonal juxtaposition is frequently found in the game's protagonist and player character, too. In his interactions in the cutscenes, he sometimes acts humorously or sarcastically, but his voiceovers are dark and subdued. I never would have thought this could work, but the voice actor (Brian Bloom, if memory serves) does a fantastic job.

As far as gameplay is concerned, it embraces its roots and avoids the type of gameplay popularized by Call of Duty and its ilk. It does have a type of cover system and you can look through each weapon's sights, but it is still mostly about being smart; without regenerating health, you have to be careful how you approach each battle. I am actually still adjusting to this; it has been a long time since I've played a game like this, so I've had to deal with a few deaths because I played it stupid. All in all, I'm enjoying it, and I look forward to seeing where it goes.

My epic: For Them (Review Topic)

BZPRPG: Trauer and Faora

Bionifight Ultimate: Daedalus Drachoren and Von Worten Undtränen

The Elder Scrolls: Ashfall: K'Larn

Last game I played was Rimworld.

And with mods installed, its entertaining being a small colony of humanoid bees that wear aprons and have goblin roommates, your two races fending off Lovecraftian monstrosities (HP Lovecraft mod series) and both neolithic and saxon raiders with grenades and pistols and swords one minute, the next you are mass producing honey and beeswax while hunting beasts for your carnivorous goblin friends that can't survive on honey alone all while listening to the gramophone record player play oldies tunes.

RIP Wintermelon, we all miss you; screw you Takashi.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

I finished Dragon Age: Origins--the base game, anyway. I originally planned on playing all the DLC and Awakening, but I don't know if I will now. When I return to the series, I really want to play Inquisition.

Until that happens, though, I am playing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. I am liking it so far. I decided to go for a ranged character. I am currently using the Ranger vocation and quite enjoying it.

I wouldn't say I am particularly good at the game, though, and I need to spend a bit more time picking decent pawns. I am not far into the main quest, and despite having completed a good number of side quests, I keep getting wasted by an ogre I need to get past. I think, though, that by enlisting the aid of appropriate pawns and making more judicious use of special arrows and such, it shouldn't be too difficult to bring it down.

I finished Dragon Age: Origins--the base game, anyway. I originally planned on playing all the DLC and Awakening, but I don't know if I will now. When I return to the series, I really want to play Inquisition.

Until that happens, though, I am playing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. I am liking it so far. I decided to go for a ranged character. I am currently using the Ranger vocation and quite enjoying it.

I wouldn't say I am particularly good at the game, though, and I need to spend a bit more time picking decent pawns. I am not far into the main quest, and despite having completed a good number of side quests, I keep getting wasted by an ogre I need to get past. I think, though, that by enlisting the aid of appropriate pawns and making more judicious use of special arrows and such, it shouldn't be too difficult to bring it down.

Love Dragon's Dogma, never beaten it though. I always go for being the ranged + melee combo class. I hear that being a magic user in the game is breathtaking in the powers available. A bad side though, the main quest will start to feel like an overarching side quest as  the actual side quests are more at the forefront to the point where you are all like '...oh yeah, gotta get my heart back!'. Awesome soundtrack, and I still want a sequel...

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Love Dragon's Dogma, never beaten it though. I always go for being the ranged + melee combo class. I hear that being a magic user in the game is breathtaking in the powers available. A bad side though, the main quest will start to feel like an overarching side quest as the actual side quests are more at the forefront to the point where you are all like '...oh yeah, gotta get my heart back!'. Awesome soundtrack, and I still want a sequel...

Yeah, I got the impression the "main quest" was more of a vague reason for doing as many side quests as possible than anything else. The sheer number of quests that are already available is a bit intimidating. I've decided the best course of action is to just pluck away at them, doing a main quest here and there to keep the main plot moving forward as I see fit.

As for the vocations, I will probably try out a mage class at some point. If I understand correctly, progress made in a vocation is not lost when you switch to another one, so it is possible to have high levels in several, if not all of them. I am particularly interested in the magic archer vocation; it sounds like it could be fun.

Xenoverse 2. Was just browsing the skill shop when suddenly the "Frieza's Siege" event started on top of me. Lost count of how many times I wasted Frieza in the span of an hour and by now I've probably lost my 8th place on the leaderboard. :v

EDIT: So yeah as I suspected I lost my 8th place, but somehow I remained in the top 50 after the event ended. Lucky me I guess???

Edited by Terton

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

I defeated the dragon in Dragon's Dogma, completing the main quest. I intended to keep playing because there is a decent amount of post-dragon content that actually finishes up he main storyline, and that's not even including the Bitterblack Isle stuff.

I say "intended" because after making some decent progress into the post-dragon Everfall and collecting 19 of 20 Wakestones needed to progress, I ran into a poorly explained curiosity in regards to the game's save system. Apparently, the game uses what some refer to as hard and soft checkpoints. Soft checkpoints are the most frequent--they occur when transitioning between areas and during quests--and can be manually initiated from the pause menu. Hard checkpoints only occur when resting at an inn (or at those outpost camps, I suppose). Generally, there isn't much of a difference. If your last save was a soft save, that will be the one loaded when you restart the game or when you select "Retry" if you die. However, if you select "Load last checkpoint" (wording might not be exactly the same) from the pause menu, it loads the last hard checkpoint. Unaware of this, I selected that option when I encountered a no-win situation against the hydra boss in the Everfall. My character had been swallowed by one of the heads and my two remaining pawns were doing little to help me. I knew I would eventually die anyway, so I decided to load.

In doing so, I lost every bit of progress I had made in the Everfall. I was disheartened, to say the least, and I was demoralized at the prospect of having to replay several hours of the game just to get back to where I had been.

I enjoyed the game enough to return to it one day, but for now, it is on indefinite hiatus.

In the meantime, I started Dragon Age: Inquisition as a female Qunari. I decided to go with a rogue again, but this time I'm going for archery. I have also imported a custom world state from Dragon Age Keep. I went with the standard world state my first time through, but I wanted this one to be different. I went generally went with the decisions I had made in Origins, though I included a few tweaks. I know the effects won't be drastic, but it is still nice to see things play out a little differently.

I'm playing the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on PC. I'm happy that our computer keeps up with those stunning graphics without blinking. I was eyeing the Witcher franchise for some time, but only played it once or twice occasionally. But when I finally gave in this year, and pushed through the mostly boring first installment, I was surprised that I wanted to play through the second (and short) game twice. So yes, now I am here with the last one, and it's definitely the best part of the trilogy. It's even better to read the books in the meantime, since it makes a lot more sense with the full backstory. 

Battlefront 2015. I got the ultimate edition for Father's day from my wife, and I've been having a blast with it. I remember that it got criticised for lack of content, but with all the DLC, there is a lot to do and the game is stunningly beautiful. I really like the game's map design, and how it does away with ammo altogether. Every Scarif map is marvellous, but the Death Star interiors, Cloud City and Endor are also really marvellous. I'm having tons of fun with this game!

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

Ico

Started it yesterday, may beat it today. Got stuck a couple of times, (post-windmill courtyard, water pump, water tower), but that's what guides are for.

Battlefront 2015. I got the ultimate edition for Father's day from my wife, and I've been having a blast with it. I remember that it got criticised for lack of content, but with all the DLC, there is a lot to do and the game is stunningly beautiful. I really like the game's map design, and how it does away with ammo altogether. Every Scarif map is marvellous, but the Death Star interiors, Cloud City and Endor are also really marvellous. I'm having tons of fun with this game!

While it does look beautiful, I am salivating over getting EA Battlefront II.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

• 2 weeks later...

I am primarily playing Resident Evil HD Remaster. I am enjoying it far more than I expected to. The dialogue is just a step above awful, the cutscenes are strange, and the voice acting borders on campy, but the game retains an appeal I have yet to wrap my brain around. The gameplay is archaic but works incredibly well, even if the use of camera angles to elicit fear is annoying and artificial. I am also not a fan of the save system. I don't mind the limited saves, necessarily, but it makes it difficult for a first time play, if only because I cannot play the game unless I know I will have a good chunk of time to do so. Still, I'm having fun with it, and I will definitely give Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster a try in the future.

When I can't commit to a long gaming session or when I just want a chance of pace, I play Overwatch. I got to try out the new hero, Doomfist. I primarily play Mystery Heroes (in which you are assigned a random hero every time you spawn), and I was lucky enough to spawn as Doomfist in one match. I actually did fairly well with him. The key to using him, I discovered, is taking advantage of his short power cooldowns and using them often, especially in combos. Not only does this allow you to deal out some decent damage, his powers grant him some shield upon contact with an enemy. Thankfully, this doesn't make him as annoying to play against as I expected. Like with any hero, he has potential to be annoying in skilled hands, but on the whole I'd say they did a good job balancing him.

FFXIV, it's fun and I like Red Mage. Joined a RP FC, so that's been something to do and is overall a pretty relaxing thing. Trying to level DRK up to 70 (63 atm), RDM was my first to 70, SAM my second. 

Splatoon 2 with some friends, which is a game I've been enjoying a lot more than I thought I would -- I like getting new clothes. 

Overwatch, less than I used to, but not doing ranked in it anymore makes the game feel more relaxed. Even if all I did were my placements for points, but overall, too much of a pain to worry about placing back in Plat for them and too drained 90% of the time to try and get up to diamond+. Can still be stressful sometimes since I get matched with Masters/Diamonds in the quick play mode a lot. But RIP that master-tier Genji who kept going for me on Widow. Felt good. 

Some Fire Emblem Fates, further along than I was, and is still a cute game. Kinda regret getting Conquest, but I'm playing it on a lower difficulty because I'm more there to have fun, rather than take 20 hours to plan a strategy to use. After beating Awakening on every difficulty/modifier felt like taking this one easy. 

And some FFXII, I picked up a copy recently and it's pretty fun. Gambit system is a little middleground for me, as I usually prefer just actual turn based combat or reactive combat not designed around queuing moves. But it doesn't take too much away for me. 

Finished Resident Evil HD Remaster. I played on Normal as Jill, and it was a bit easier than I expected. I'm not complaining, of course; I just expected higher difficulty from a classic survival horror game. The story was--okay? The letters and such you can find were generally interesting, but the plot as told through the cutscenes and such--eeehhh. As I said in my last post, the dialogue is awful, the acting is strange, and the characters behave bizarrely. But the game was worth it. For whatever reason, I enjoyed it from start to finish, and I will play it at least one more time just to experience Chris's storyline.

Edited by (Daedalus)

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been introduced to the wonderful world of Quake 2 online multiplayer!  It's nice to finally meet other fans of my all-time favorite game.  I go by EvilJagaGenius and mostly I've been hanging out on the tastyspleen.net deathmatch servers.  If anyone wants to join me, the TS.net folks have put together a 'Quake 2 starter' pack here: http://q2s.tastyspleen.net/

Just look for the green teletubby, you can't miss him.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

• 1 month later...

Still grinding my way through Civilization V. The good news is that if I can continue my current rate of progress, it'll now be only little over a month left to go before I'm able to reach the point where I can finally say that I'm done with this game once and for all.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

Last games I played were Audiosurf, TF2, and Stellaris.

Yes, I finally have TF2 reinstalled and played with Toa Imrukii for a little bit. Been a while, getting used to it all again while adapting to the small changes done.

And with Stellaris, still getting used to the game, but each time I try out my interstellar Space Rome civ I get a little better despite Creation repeatedly being denied to my Divine Regent. *pout*

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

• Stellaris

• Just Cause 3

100 ft. Robot Golf

Mortal Kombat XL

Metal Slug X

Planetside 2

Far Cry Primal

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Due to the interest of my wife, I returned to World of Warcraft after several years, and now we're playing it together. It's a huge blast from the past for me, and luckily she's enjoying it too so it seems this will be a long term shared adventure - though, having played in the past, I tend to rush a bit unfortunately. Nonetheless, it's great being back, especially in her company, to explore Azeroth once again.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very proud to say that I am now completely done with Civilization V. I started playing this game nearly five years ago, and now that I've gotten the full experience, unlocked as many achievements as I possibly could, played every possible kind of game on each different type of map that I was interested in, I can finally put this massively time-consuming game behind me and move on to other things.

Now, I can finally get started on playing through all of those Lego video games that I've been so looking forward to try. First up, I'll be playing the only one I've already played before, The Lego Movie Videogame. This is mostly so I can refamiliarize myself with the gaming style of these games before I get started on anything new, and also to see how long it takes me to fully complete the game so I can get an idea of approximately how long it'll take me to get through all the other Lego games.

Terraria on PS4. Gets some getting used to but this is a fine console port.

Nobunaga's Ambition - Ascension. Confusing and had little desire to play after trying to get it after 40 minutes of game time. Perhaps I will try it out another time.

Edited by Hyethut (Iaredios)

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've already finished The LEGO Movie Videogame just a few days ago. It took me a total of just over 30 hours of gameplay to reach 100% game completion.

Of course, once I get to the other Lego games, I doubt I'll be able to complete them that quickly. Not only was I already very familiar with this game (having already played it and fully completed it a few times a while ago), but based on the glimpses I've seen of some of the other Lego games, this one seems rather small and simple in comparison.

I guess I'll find out for myself how long these other games will really take to complete once I actually play them. (I'm possibly going to be rather busy with other things next month, so I'll wait until January before I get started on any of the other Lego games.)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reviewing Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock currently, and while so far I've only dipped my feet in, it's a promising game with a lot of buzz around it. I hope I'll like it as much as everyone else seemingly does.

The first two missions aren't much to base an opinion on since many of the overarching mechanics are still locked, but the combat is pretty neat and I love the cinematic replays at the end of missions. Plus, I'm a sucker for space battles, so it's starting from a good spot too.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Fun game, but derpy and tedious. Spent several hours int he past week on one Oblivion Gate (which is apparently where I dropped the game back in March), it having about three extensive climbing cave systems before reaching the actual central tower entrance (pain in my freaking butt) and only today I finally finished it with my trusty Dwarven Mace and my own two mighty fists (largely the latter!),  Now I am busy in Anvil.

Edited by The Hip Historian Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Assassin's Creed: Origins. I'm 51 hours in and there's still almost half the game to go. I'm having huge amounts of fun with it, and the world never ceases to amaze me. It's so packed full of things to find and discover, and exploring it beyond the places with map markers is rewarded as well. It's just so masterfully crafted, and the world sucks you in. The middle and southern sections of the map - basically the desert-y parts - often make me think of Po-Wahi, and make me wish we got a Bionicle game on the same scale and of the same quality. Alas. 

• 3 weeks later...

Currently on my first go at Baldur's Gate EE. been wanting to play this for a long time, and I have to say that i am enjoying myself.

I am a Paladin, and using a custom portrait of this dude. I did not feel like using western armor that is so over-saturated in fantasy depictions. Would have used other medieval Roman portraits, but the painting quality matches the art-style of the game. Face doesn't match the story's 20 year old protagonist but I did not know that prior to choosing the portrait. Oh well.

Edited by The Hip Historian Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Finished Assassin's Creed Origins in its entirety. After 81 hours, I've managed to unlock every single achievement, every "club challenge", achieve 100% completion and do all the things that don't count toward completion too. Absolutely magnificent game, and its depiction of Egypt is stunning. The game world is probably the best part of the whole thing, and exploring it in between story bits is a ton of fun. I don't think I ever 100%-ed a game in a single playthrough before. 

I said this before, but so many times while playing the world made me think of Po-Wahi, and I found myself wishing we had a Bionicle game on the same scale, with similar visual fidelity and so on. Pohatu outfit DLC when?

First time I dabbled with a Wii U, today I played Super Mario Maker and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png